PDA

View Full Version : Font size

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-11, 12:07 PM
Is everyone else's font markedly different, now? I'm just wondering, here.

RTGoodman
2008-10-11, 12:12 PM
Did you accidentally zoom in or out by pressing Ctrl while you scrolled on the mouse wheel? That'll do it to ya, and I know at least four or five people have had that same problem recently. Just hold Ctrl and scroll the wheel (or use the - or + keys) to get it back to regular size?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-11, 05:17 PM
I don't see it...

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 05:27 PM
I don't see it...

I think you need to get your eye checked.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-11, 05:28 PM
I think you need to get your eye checked.

Ahhh, a popcorn grease stain on my monocle... Now I see it...

Beholder1995
2008-10-11, 08:42 PM
Ahhh, a popcorn grease stain on my monocle... Now I see it...

Just saying- you have glasses, not a monacle.

I'M the beholder with a monacle around here. :smallannoyed:(:smalltongue:)

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 08:46 PM
Cat...aract fight.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-11, 08:49 PM
Just saying- you have glasses, not a monacle.

I'M the beholder with a monacle around here. :smallannoyed:(:smalltongue:)

May I suggest that you look up monocle. :smallamused:

Zeta Kai
2008-10-11, 09:48 PM
May I suggest that you look up monocle. :smallamused:

I just did (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocle). Beholder1995 is right.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-12, 03:58 AM
I just did (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocle). Beholder1995 is right.

And yet you chose Wikipedia as your source?

I was referring to the actual meaning of the word rather than popular styles. At the same time glasses is the plural word for glass meaning that there are more than one.

monocle

Main Entry:
mon·o·cle Listen to the pronunciation of monocle
Pronunciation:
\ˈmä-ni-kəl\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
French, from Late Latin monoculus having one eye, from Latin mon- + oculus eye — more at eye
Date:
circa 1858

: an eyeglass for one eye

glass

Main Entry:
1glass Listen to the pronunciation of 1glass
Pronunciation:
\ˈglas, ˈgläs\
Function:
noun
Usage:
often attributive
Etymology:
Middle English glas, from Old English glæs; akin to Old English geolu yellow — more at yellow
Date:
before 12th century

(2): field glasses , binoculars —usually used in plural cplural : a device used to correct defects of vision or to protect the eyes that consists typically of a pair of glass or plastic lenses and the frame by which they are held in place —called also eyeglasses spectacles

Renegade Paladin
2008-10-12, 06:51 AM
And Wikipedia gets schooled by a real source yet again. :smallamused:

AstralFire
2008-10-12, 08:19 AM

sigh

This isn't a matter of Wikipedia being wrong, this is a matter of using a prescriptive or a descriptive dictionary. Language evolves, and the specific use of monocle to refer to the popular style as evidenced in Beholder1995's avatar can be seen in some descriptive dictionaries. Prescriptive dictionaries tend to lag a bit behind in adding or changing definitions, descriptive tend to be a little too eager to add everything people say.

Wikipedia in this case is acting as a descriptive dictionary, and if you start pulling up random dictionaries as I did, you will find some variation in the definition; smaller dictionaries also tend towards description, I think.

Nao, less snark and brinkmanship, more mudwrestling.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-10-12, 11:33 AM

sigh

This isn't a matter of Wikipedia being wrong, this is a matter of using a prescriptive or a descriptive dictionary. Language evolves, and the specific use of monocle to refer to the popular style as evidenced in Beholder1995's avatar can be seen in some descriptive dictionaries. Prescriptive dictionaries tend to lag a bit behind in adding or changing definitions, descriptive tend to be a little too eager to add everything people say.

Wikipedia in this case is acting as a descriptive dictionary, and if you start pulling up random dictionaries as I did, you will find some variation in the definition; smaller dictionaries also tend towards description, I think.

Nao, less snark and brinkmanship, more mudwrestling.

I think the wiki article was informative and the information they present may also be correct (in this case). (I did not read it that thoroughly and I am not an expert on the history of monocles)
However, it can not be used to show that Beholder1995 is correct when he is not. :smallsmile:
(And the prescriptive definition would have been a nice starting point for such an article IMHO.)

I think this might be sliding off topic though (a little surprising to see that Charity was not involved), so maybe it would be interesting to know if the suggestion made in the second post resolved the OP's problem or if it is a question of wrong prescription monocle/spectacles.

Haleyintraining
2008-10-12, 11:45 AM
Wikipedia's fine, but you never know who edited it before you. For all you know it could be some eight year old kid, goofing around by posting nonsense.

Renegade Paladin
2008-10-12, 12:11 PM
Wikipedia's fine, but you never know who edited it before you. For all you know it could be some eight year old kid, goofing around by posting nonsense.
Which, of course, makes it not fine.

Oregano
2008-10-12, 12:16 PM
Wikipedia tends not to be very useful anyway, especially for scientific things, honestly, it goes into much detail to be useful for someone that's actually learning it because if you understood what it means you don't need to learn it, I forget what it's called, restricted code or something.

Castaras
2008-10-12, 01:10 PM
Which, of course, makes it not fine.

Unless you use it alongside other sources.

Haleyintraining
2008-10-12, 01:36 PM
It's fine if you are looking up something for your own interest, like if you are looking for the release date of a video game. But if you are looking for information for an essay or something, then it is definitely not fine.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-12, 05:44 PM
Yes and no. A recent study indicated that Wikipedia articles on scientific subjects had a similar number of errors and were considerably longer and more in depth than similar Encyclopedia Britanica articles on the same subjects, though they are usually poorly organized. Not saying it's always a good source, but it is much more accurate than people give it credit for.