PDA

View Full Version : V and eleven 3rd level spells

drengnikrafe
2008-10-11, 12:12 PM
As was recently pointed out in "OOTS Quiz", Vaarsuvius is able to use explosive runes 11 times in a day. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0323.html) My question is this: How? I can understand as high as 6 (ring of wizardry, high int, 4 per day naturally), but I fail to see where the other five come from. Keep in mind, Explosive Runes in Abjuration, meaning V does not get to use it an additional time for his/her specialization in Evocation, in case that's what you were thinking.

So... help?

EDIT: As it turns out, I was wrong about rings of wizardry, they afford double the normal for that. So, that would give Vaarsuvius 9 (4 for regular wizard levels, 4 for RoW, 1 for high int). Where do the other 2 come from?

Nerdanel
2008-10-11, 12:28 PM
It is possible to use higher level spell slots to contain lower level spells. Either that, or V really has a modified int of 32+. That thing on his head may well be a headband of intellect and V might also have some other item that gives a bonus to intelligence that stacks with the headband's enhancement bonus.

Salty
2008-10-11, 12:33 PM
Maybe V had scrolls?

Heroic
2008-10-11, 12:56 PM
I think he/she has another item to allow him/her to cast Explosive Runes 11 times a day. Or maybe Rich proves again that he doesn't follow the D&D rules.

Icwer
2008-10-11, 01:07 PM
Simple:

Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.
Duration: Permanent until discharged (D)

S/He cast them the day before (or earlier for that matter) and didn't use them until that day. :)

SPoD
2008-10-11, 01:13 PM
EDIT: As it turns out, I was wrong about rings of wizardry, they afford double the normal for that. So, that would give Vaarsuvius 9 (4 for regular wizard levels, 4 for RoW, 1 for high int). Where do the other 2 come from?

4th level spell slots prepared as 3rd level spells. Or metamagic versions, also prepared in higher level slots. Or from a wand, or scrolls, or from the day before. There's about a dozen ways that a wizard could cast a spell many times, if they were willing to invest the energy into doing so.

I just can't figure out why it matters to anyone.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-11, 01:45 PM
Also, Belkar may well be exaggerating and/or unable to count straight (through rage or lack of intellect).

drengnikrafe
2008-10-11, 03:49 PM
I just can't figure out why it matters to anyone.

The same could be said about V's gender, the "ultimate 4 words", what the MitD is, whether or not X person will join the Order, whether or not V will become a Lich, whether or not Haley is Half-Celstial, or something, and other stuff like that.

The trick is, all the stuff I mentioned will probably be addressed at some point later in the strip, and thus people's random speculations will be proven/disproven/rendered mute. Either that, or they'll be shown to be totally irrelivent because by the end, nothing more will come of these things. On the other hand, what I was asking here is a combonation of speculating about V's powers, as well as trying to figure out how I could get my own wizard, if I had one, to be able to do something like that.