PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a good, cheap webhost?

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 05:00 PM
I need only about 300-500 MB space, and about 20 GB bandwidth monthly. I've been using OthelloTech, as they cost just under 3 pounds a month, but I've lately been noticing a lot of outages - you might not see my avvie or my sig banner when you check this post.

TigerHunter
2008-10-11, 05:22 PM
If all you need is image hosting (as your mention of signature and avatar seems to imply), there are free sites like Photobucket or Imageshack that will host for you.

Other than that, I'm completely clueless.

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 05:25 PM
If all you need is image hosting (as your mention of signature and avatar seems to imply), there are free sites like Photobucket or Imageshack that will host for you.

Other than that, I'm completely clueless.

While I favor my ability to use my site for image hosting as I have 500 GB/monthly and I use about 20 GB even with making everything high res PNGs, its primary purpose is hosting my webserial and information about my books and homebrew projects. I also host the webstats for a GameFAQs message board I frequent.

Ponce
2008-10-11, 05:29 PM
http://www.bluehost.com/ give you an amazing deal and have great customer service.

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 05:32 PM
Thanks, but I've got a q... I'm seeing a lot of 'unlimited storage' and 'unlimited bandwidth' lately... what's the catch? Crappyslow CPU? Lots of downtime?

Ponce
2008-10-11, 05:40 PM
Thanks, but I've got a q... I'm seeing a lot of 'unlimited storage' and 'unlimited bandwidth' lately... what's the catch? Crappyslow CPU? Lots of downtime?

You just don't have an unlimited upload/download speed. You are however allowed to max out this speed for the entire duration of the month. While a site like giantitp.com would require much more bandwidth offered in this $7/month package, for your purposes it is more than enough. Unlimited storage is pretty much what it says it is. Storage space isn't really a problem these days - you'll notice a lot of free web-based emails even offer unlimited or extremely high amounts of storage space.

SMEE
2008-10-11, 05:41 PM

Usually both, as they try to fit as many domains within one box to decrease hosting costs.

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 05:43 PM
You just don't have an unlimited upload/download speed. You are however allowed to max out this speed for the entire duration of the month. While a site like giantitp.com would require much more bandwidth offered in this $7/month package, for your purposes it is more than enough. Unlimited storage is pretty much what it says it is. Storage space isn't really a problem these days - you'll notice a lot of free web-based emails even offer unlimited or extremely high amounts of storage space.

Hmm, it's been a long time since I switched webhosts, so I guess stuff has changed. Okay, thank you. I'm going to give othello some time to respond to my ticket (...and I need it to be up so I can transfer my files to a new site if I do switch... haven't been backing up my stuff while I'm on this shoddy excuse for a computer)

Usually both, as they try to fit as many domains within one box to decrease hosting costs.

Do you have any suggestions? I don't use a LOT of CPU power, but I don't want to have to wait say, a minute to get a simple PHP-text-and-an-image page to load.

SMEE
2008-10-11, 05:54 PM
Not sure. I got a dedicated server for me to avoid any of those problems. :/

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 05:54 PM
Not sure. I got a dedicated server for me to avoid any of those problems. :/

How much are those running these days, on the cheap end?

SMEE
2008-10-11, 05:57 PM
I'm paying 100 USD montly for mine. I belive you can find a few cheaper ones at US. They're a bit more expensive here in Brazil.

This (http://iweb.com/dedicated/server-deal/?gclid=CO6T8ZOjoJYCFQNaFQod8VY76Q) seems to be a reasonable deal. Remember that server administration will be in your hands, though.

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I'm currently out of work; that... won't work.

I got a ticket response:

"My hosting for this site has gone down repeatedly within the last week"

We have had no downtime at all or outages of service for at least 3 months on the old duport-online systems.

It will be slower to respond at the moment as the server is currently running a backup and stats update

"I use it as a fileserver"

Shared hosting is not suitable as "remote disk" for that you would need a dedicated server or a remote file backup solution.

Is it just me, or is this pretty rude? This ISN'T the first time this week I've had an issue, and if your hosting isn't good enough to work as a 'remote disk' for text documents and 4 MB PDFs and Pictures, how do you expect anyone to run a damn website?

Silence
2008-10-11, 06:21 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about godaddy.com. You might want to check that out.

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 06:23 PM
Heh, they're actually my domain host; last I'd heard, they were unusually pricey for hosting, but then again, going the cheap route hasn't exactly served me well. I may do just that.

Zeta Kai
2008-10-11, 06:23 PM

Yeah, I use Photobucket (http://register.photobucket.com/?ref=headerregister), & I've never noticed any issues. It's free, & you can change your upload settings quite easily.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-10-11, 06:25 PM
I use www.hostgator.com for several extremely small domains and am happy with them so far, but I don't come anywhere near pushing its limits. I'd have to check my stats, but I'd guess that serving up my avatar and sig pictures is probably 90% of my usage.

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 06:28 PM
I use www.hostgator.com for several extremely small domains and am happy with them so far, but I don't come anywhere near pushing its limits. I'd have to check my stats, but I'd guess that serving up my avatar and sig pictures is probably 90% of my usage.

Do you ever have any issues with loading speed?

The Valiant Turtle
2008-10-11, 08:51 PM
Do you ever have any issues with loading speed?

Not that I've ever noticed. If you want to check it out the main sites I have there are www.wolvesitp.com (pawprints in my sig) and www.valiant-turtle.com (my rarely updated blog). The first is a Drupal site and the second is WordPress.

I do have one other site that is pretty much just for family photos and such. I've always thought that the loading speed is pretty quick even for a decent sized image. That site is also Drupal.

I checked my logs and my total transfers for last month was only 131.63 MB, so I'm a pretty light user.

AstralFire
2008-10-11, 08:53 PM
Oh yeah, they move fast - faster than my site did when it was working, actually. I may go ahead and make the shift once the site comes back up (or once I get my new computer... which gives me new files.) The brusque response I just got sealed it, and the fact that the dollar's worsened against the pound had already made it less attractive for me.

Thanks a lot for your help.

valadil
2008-10-12, 09:57 PM
I'm pretty happy with Dreamhost. I'm paying $10 a month for more bandwidth and disk than I can use. My only complaint is that you're stuck with apache. No tomcat or custom servers. I've heard mixed things about their Rails hosting, but I haven't tried it so I can't comment.