PDA

View Full Version : Accessing OotS

Gannes
2004-03-10, 10:55 PM
I tried to hook a friend of mine on OotS, but she had trouble loading it. Even got a message saying she couldn't find the GiantITP.com server! Was this just a freak occurance, or what?

RawBearNYC
2004-03-10, 11:16 PM
I would need more information. Has she ever been able to visit the site?

Is she attempting to view the site behind a corporate firewall?

If she goes to a dos prompt and types "ping www.giantitp.com" (without the quotes) does it say that it's pinging "209.208.185.103"?

Tawmis
2004-03-11, 01:51 AM
Also, try sendin' em' the link directly! Never under estimate someone's ability to mistype something just slightly... (Having worked for a cable modem ISP customer service for Tier 2 for 3 years... I think I have seen and heard it all)...
::)

Gannes
2004-03-11, 04:51 PM
I would need more information. Has she ever been able to visit the site?
I don't think she ever tried before.

Is she attempting to view the site behind a corporate firewall?
Nope.

If she goes to a dos prompt and types "ping www.giantitp.com" (without the quotes) does it say that it's pinging "209.208.185.103"?
Well, since she uses a GOOD system (Macintosh :)), she doesn't have a DOS prompt.

I should also say that I occasionally have some trouble, but a Refresh gets it. I'll have to suggest that to her.

RawBearNYC
2004-03-11, 05:09 PM
Well, since she uses a GOOD system (Macintosh :)), she doesn't have a DOS prompt.

She likely does have a console window. And if it's OS X, my suggestion would work in a console window. Tho, most Mac users wouldn't know a console window from a ... ... ...

The Giant
2004-03-11, 05:12 PM
Aw, man, if she's a Mac user we need to get her to see the site pronto. Mac Addicts Unite! ;D

Of course, sadly most of us Mac users don't know diddly about how to fix this stuff. :-[