PDA

View Full Version : How to download NWN2 Modules

Sequinox
2008-10-11, 09:51 PM
If you're on this thread, you've probably read the title.

So... How do you do it? I mean, I've downloaded the module itself, and I have it in the Modules Folder on my computer, but it doesn't show up to try playing it. Anyone know?

Flickerdart
2008-10-11, 10:11 PM
May we have a link to the module? Some you have to put in Campaigns for them to work properly.

Sequinox
2008-10-11, 11:18 PM
here you go*yawn* going to bed after this

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2ModulesEnglish.Detail&id=161

Estelindis
2008-10-12, 02:36 PM
You should put it into My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\modules (perhaps you put it in the Program Files modules folder instead?). You see, all player-made modules, campaigns, etc., go into the My Documents set of folders. All official Obsidian modules, campaigns, etc, go into the Program Files folder. :smallwink:

Sequinox
2008-10-12, 04:09 PM
Oooohhhhhh....

Thanks. I had it in the program files one.

Sequinox
2008-10-13, 12:35 PM
... Nevermind. I have the file at

C:\Documents and Settings\cole\My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\Campaigns

and i tried it at

C:\Documents and Settings\cole\My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\modules

and neither on neither one did it show up. Is there something I have to do to 'open' the file, or do i just copy paste from the web?

Estelindis
2008-10-13, 05:42 PM
Is there something I have to do to 'open' the file, or do i just copy paste from the web?
Um. You did decompress it, right?

Sequinox
2008-10-14, 01:51 PM
What does that mean?

(Nope. I have no clue about these things. I'll go try to figure it out though)

Estelindis
2008-10-14, 05:40 PM
Modules are almost always compressed to save bandwidth. :smallsmile: You must have downloaded a compressed file at some point in your life! :smallsigh:

Anyway, there are two versions of The Zelbross Affair up on the Vault - the old one, made using v1.04 of NWN2, which is compressed in Zip format (file extension .zip) and the new one, made using v1.12 of NWN2, which is compressed in 7Zip (file extension .7z).

Windows has a built-in zip decompresser. Just open the zip file and move the contents to the modules folder I mentioned before (the one in My Documents). The 7Zip file can be decompressed using WinRAR (http://www.rarlab.com/) or 7Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/). :smallwink:

Incidentally, these kinds of utilities are very handy if you want to do a good bit of Neverwinter Nights-related gaming, because almost nothing on the Vault is provided raw and uncompressed - usually only tiny files like scripts. Knowing how to decompress files will open up the world of modules and custom content to you, which expands NWN 1 and 2 to an enormous extent! :smallsmile:

Sequinox
2008-10-14, 06:50 PM
Sorry about this...

I have it and it says that it is a 7z File. I used the 7z file manager to open it. Now I turn on NWN2 and open up 'New Game' and go to 'Modules.' It only has the uninvited guest thing.

I downloaded the old 7z, not the beta. So... What is it that I'm doing wrong? I'm on the same account if that changes anything, I have it downloaded and unzipped, but it doesn't pop up.

Flickerdart
2008-10-14, 08:01 PM
You have to extract it to the directory. Just opening it won't do anything. Check for file paths, though. Sometimes, these things try to "make it easier" and have built-in paths, so if you extract it to C, it would automatically go in C:\Documents and Settings\...\Neverwinter Nights 2\Modules. Then again, it might not.

Estelindis
2008-10-15, 05:30 PM
Yes. Once you decompress it, you need to put it into the folder I mentioned earlier! :smallbiggrin:

Sequinox
2008-10-17, 09:59 PM
Thanks. I would have posted this earlier, but I was away from the computer that works with games for a couple of days, so I never had the chance to try it. Anyway, it worked. Thanks, Flickerdart and Estelindis.
Hey, I sigged my name out of a sig! i've never done that b4!
Sequinox

Estelindis
2008-10-18, 07:37 AM
You're welcome! I'm glad it worked out for you. Happy gaming! :smallsmile: