PDA

View Full Version : How spontaneous can you get? [3.5]

jcsw
2008-10-11, 11:16 PM
So we all know clerics get spontaneous cure spells (Unless they get spontaneous inflict spells)...

...And I happen to know there's a feat called initiate of lathander which allows you to cast [light] spells and spells with light in the name spontaneously... (And also gives you some useful spells)

But how many other types of spells can you cast spontaneously?

Specifically, if I wanted to make a spellcaster able to spontaneously convert his spell list into other spells to make the most versatile spellcaster ever, how would I go about it?

I say this because it's always fun to be able to change you list on the fly. And also keep a surprise up your sleeve.

DM: Hah. I bet you didn't expect him to be a Lich! All those mind affecting spells won't help you now!
Cleric: Sadly, you are right. Which is why I'm converting them into Celestial Brilliance. And then DMM chaining it to every object in the room.
DM: Facepalm

Things so far:
1. Cleric - Cure/Inflict spells
2. Druid - Summon Nature's Ally spells
3. Initiate of Lathander(Champions of Valor, IIRC) - [Light] and spells with light in the name
4. Sanctified Spells in both Champions of Valor and BoED allow good clerics to cast them spontaneously. They (almost) all drain your strength though.

JMobius
2008-10-11, 11:22 PM
Tangential; but would those chained celestial brilliance castings stack? I thought they just created an area of light conditions such that they deal damage to certain creatures, which shouldn't stack as far as I can tell.

That said, DMM Maximized + Purified Celestial Brilliance is great broken fun. :smallbiggrin:

Swooper
2008-10-11, 11:23 PM
The cleric ACF in PHB2 (I think? Or was it CChamp?) allows you to spontaneously cast spells from one of your domain instead of cure/inflict spells. Can't have both though.

Suzuro
2008-10-11, 11:29 PM
Favored Soul. Done.

-Suzuro

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-11, 11:33 PM
Play a Sorcerer?

Alternatively, get Silent Image on your spell list, and go Shadowcraft Mage. I like doing it with Wizard, and tossing in a dip in Walker of the Wastes, Voyeristic Seer, Arcane Disciple, and a couple others. Spont casting off of a bunch of class lists, including any Evoc or about half of all conjuration spells out of slots one level lower than they are, any 8th level Cleric spell or lower out of an 8th level slot, and no material/XP component.

Irreverent Fool
2008-10-11, 11:35 PM
The cleric ACF in PHB2 (I think? Or was it CChamp?) allows you to spontaneously cast spells from one of your domain instead of cure/inflict spells. Can't have both though.

Ah but you can. The Domain Spontaneity feat from Complete Divine lets you spontaneously cast spells from one of your domains by spending a turning attempt. You have to take it for each domain, but it's a good use for those turning attempts if you're not using DMM cheese.

Zeful
2008-10-11, 11:38 PM
Tangential; but would those chained celestial brilliance castings stack? I thought they just created an area of light conditions such that they deal damage to certain creatures, which shouldn't stack as far as I can tell.

That said, DMM Maximized + Purified Celestial Brilliance is great broken fun. :smallbiggrin:

The entire room would be covered with it. You wouldn't deal umpteemd6 damage from the overlap as area effects from the same spell don't stack.

tyckspoon
2008-10-11, 11:39 PM
The Domain Spontaneity feat in C. Divine allows you to spend a turn attempt to spontaneously convert a spell to one from 1 domain, chosen upon taking the feat. So- Cloistered Cleric UA variant (bonus Knowledge domain) going into the Contemplative prestige class (primary benefit: more domains) and taking Domain Spontaneity as a large share of his feats. The Spell domain would be an excellent one to pick up this way- spontaneous (Greater) Anyspell sounds like nearly the best possible way to cover the concept of 'spontaneous versatility', with Miracle covering the higher spell levels if you take the design all the way to the very high end (the best possible way, of course, is the Shadow Miracle Gnome.)

Irreverent Fool
2008-10-11, 11:39 PM
The entire room would be covered with it. You wouldn't deal umpteemd6 damage from the overlap as area effects from the same spell don't stack.

This is the same reason failing to dispel a stack of explosive runes doesn't destroy the earth.

jcsw
2008-10-11, 11:42 PM
Favored Soul. Done.

-Suzuro
That would net you a pitifully small spell list...

And regarding Celestial Brilliance not stacking, can you tell me the reference, cause AFAIK there isn't any rule preventing the stacking.

Zeful
2008-10-11, 11:50 PM
This is the same reason failing to dispel a stack of explosive runes doesn't destroy the earth.

Actually explosive runes isn't an area effect. Using the Book Dispel Strategy isn't valid because the first spell to resolve destroys the book.

monty
2008-10-11, 11:57 PM
Play a Sorcerer?

Alternatively, get Silent Image on your spell list, and go Shadowcraft Mage. I like doing it with Wizard, and tossing in a dip in Walker of the Wastes, Voyeristic Seer, Arcane Disciple, and a couple others. Spont casting off of a bunch of class lists, including any Evoc or about half of all conjuration spells out of slots one level lower than they are, any 8th level Cleric spell or lower out of an 8th level slot, and no material/XP component.

Toss in Earth Spell, Easy Metamagic (Heighten), and Practical Metamagic (Heighten), and you can Miracle from a 7th level slot. Take Residual Magic and you can do it again the next turn from a 1st level slot. Keep in mind that you need to be a spontaneous caster with the Dragonblooded subtype for Practical Metamagic if I remember right.

That means you can spontaneously cast 8th level cleric spells and 7th level spells from any class with 7th/1st level slots. Oh, and with no XP/material costs.

Talic
2008-10-12, 12:02 AM
Actually explosive runes isn't an area effect. Using the Book Dispel Strategy isn't valid because the first spell to resolve destroys the book.

The problem with that is that they don't resolve or fail to resolve sequentially. It's an all at once thing. So the first spell to resolve happens at the same time as the 2nd through 1376th.

ForzaFiori
2008-10-12, 12:12 AM
The problem with that is that they don't resolve or fail to resolve sequentially. It's an all at once thing. So the first spell to resolve happens at the same time as the 2nd through 1376th.

how are u going to read all 1376 of those at once though? if they're in a stack, you read the top, and if it goes off, it'll destroy the others before you can activate them. If its in a book, you might get 2 to go off at once and destroy the others.

but either way, the rest will be destroyed before you have a chance to see what they are and activate them.

RTGoodman
2008-10-12, 12:17 AM
how are u going to read all 1376 of those at once though? if they're in a stack, you read the top, and if it goes off, it'll destroy the others before you can activate them. If its in a book, you might get 2 to go off at once and destroy the others.

but either way, the rest will be destroyed before you have a chance to see what they are and activate them.

It's not reading it that's setting the "bomb" off - a dispel magic on them will set them off, too, and that's the basic plan. You just make a bajillion of them, give them to the (far-off) bad guy, and use dispel to set off the trap.

Zeful
2008-10-12, 12:20 AM

I call it a Book Dispel strategy. You take a spellbook and in your down time fill it with explosive runes. When it's full you prepare one Dispel magic to be used only for the purpose of failing the dispel role (I.e. declare your failing the dispel roll) triggering everysingle explosive rune in the book, destroying it. You then take during the villians monolouge and throw him the book (or have somebody else throw the book to him and ready an action to cast Dispel magic once he catches it. The book dentonates, dealing 100+d6 in a round.

monty
2008-10-12, 12:23 AM
To make it really evil, have a Hulking Hurler throw the book.

ForzaFiori
2008-10-12, 12:26 AM
I call it a Book Dispel strategy. You take a spellbook and in your down time fill it with explosive runes. When it's full you prepare one Dispel magic to be used only for the purpose of failing the dispel role (I.e. declare your failing the dispel roll) triggering everysingle explosive rune in the book, destroying it. You then take during the villians monolouge and throw him the book (or have somebody else throw the book to him and ready an action to cast Dispel magic once he catches it. The book dentonates, dealing 100+d6 in a round.

ah, ok. I hadn't heard this strategy.

sorry about my ignorance.

MisterSaturnine
2008-10-12, 12:33 AM
To make it really evil, have a Hulking Hurler throw the book.

Hulking Hurlers--bringing new meaning to the term, "I'll throw the book at you," since 1937.

Vva70
2008-10-12, 12:40 AM
Maximum spontaneity? Start as a Warmage (Complete Arcane). Take all 10 levels of the Rainbow Servant prestige class (Complete Divine). Ta-dah! You can now spontaneously cast from the entire cleric spell list. Not very optimal though, due to the loss of four levels of spellcasting. But cool.

monty
2008-10-12, 12:40 AM
Hulking Hurlers--bringing new meaning to the term, "I'll throw the book at you," since 1937.

Especially since the book in question would have to be the size of a small moon to reach its potential (although, looking at the final stages of the build, it'd have to be larger than the known universe to tax his strength).

That's no moon...

monty
2008-10-12, 12:41 AM
Maximum spontaneity? Start as a Warmage (Complete Arcane). Take all 10 levels of the Rainbow Servant prestige class (Complete Divine). Ta-dah! You can now spontaneously cast from the entire cleric spell list. Not very optimal though, due to the loss of four levels of spellcasting. But cool.

Well then there's the whole text-vs-table argument. By RAW, it's full casting progression, which is horribly broken for a warmage (or beguiler, or whatever).

chiasaur11
2008-10-12, 12:42 AM
Especially since the book in question would have to be the size of a small moon to reach its potential (although, looking at the final stages of the build, it'd have to be larger than the known universe to tax his strength).

That's no moon...

That's the complete set of rulebooks and splats for DnD 10.7!

Irreverent Fool
2008-10-12, 12:43 AM

Wow. That sounds like fun. I'm tempted to say that having the whole cleric list at your spontaneous disposal is the only the only thing worth losing spell advancement for, but sadly I know NOTHING is worth losing spell advancement.

BobVosh
2008-10-12, 12:46 AM

It is worse when they throw dice at you :(

Eldariel
2008-10-12, 12:48 AM
Shadowcraft Mage/Incantatrix with Spontaneous Divination, Practical Metamagic, Easy Metamagic and Earth Spell is pretty much unbeatable. 2.5 schools entirely spontaneous before gaining the ability to spontaneously cast Miracle, and thus any spell of 7th level or lower, in 7th level slots (and a turn later in 1st level slots too!). Add a little trick to infinitely recur the spellslots and you'll effectively be casting an infinite number of any spells all day from the same slots.

jcsw
2008-10-12, 12:49 AM
Btw: Can anyone tell me the page with the rule that says celestial brilliance can't stack? I've never found the rule anywhere.

And warmage can't spontaneously DMM his spells. :P

monty
2008-10-12, 12:54 AM
Add a little trick to infinitely recur the spellslots and you'll effectively be casting an infinite number of any spells all day from the same slots.

Now you've got my attention. I haven't heard of that before.

Eldariel
2008-10-12, 01:19 AM
Now you've got my attention. I haven't heard of that before.

Well, not infinite per ce, but Echoing Spell [Secrets of Xen'drik] applied for free (Easy Metamagic, Practical Metamagic, Arcane Thesis, Incantatrix lvl 10, etc.) to all your Silent Images. Earth Spell (when active) increases your CL by 1 for every level you heighten the spell beyond the first, meaning you'll get epic CL buffs. Then you use Residual Metamagic to cast the next one with even bigger CL returns. This makes the CL -4 penalty pretty much a non-issue and while you can't really cast the spells infinitely, you can cast them maybe 8-9 times per spellslot. And applying this meta didn't cost you anything.

jcsw
2008-10-12, 02:11 AM
Well, not infinite per ce, but Echoing Spell [Secrets of Xen'drik] applied for free (Easy Metamagic, Practical Metamagic, Arcane Thesis, Incantatrix lvl 10, etc.) to all your Silent Images. Earth Spell (when active) increases your CL by 1 for every level you heighten the spell beyond the first, meaning you'll get epic CL buffs. Then you use Residual Metamagic to cast the next one with even bigger CL returns. This makes the CL -4 penalty pretty much a non-issue and while you can't really cast the spells infinitely, you can cast them maybe 8-9 times per spellslot. And applying this meta didn't cost you anything.

Anyone have any methods of spontaneity that won't make your DM ban it?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-12, 02:48 AM
Anyone have any methods of spontaneity that won't make your DM ban it?Shadowcraft Mage. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=655556)
Enter as a Wizard to pull Arcane Disciple, spontaneously cast Miracle from a 7th level slot. Adjust the metamagic to your own level of cheese. The class works fine with only 110% realism, entered from Beguiler, for spontaneous Evocation, Conjuration, Illusion, and Enchantment.
Otherwise, just play a spontaneous caster(Beguiler, Warmage, or Dread Necromancer), go Rainbow Servant, with dips in Sandshaper, Voyeristic Seer, and any others that I'm missing, and cast off of several lists spontaneously.
Why Cleric spontaneously? You could probably do the same thing with a Favored Soul and Runestaves, especially if you can get a homebrew version in.

Curmudgeon
2008-10-12, 03:49 AM
Tangential; but would those chained celestial brilliance castings stack? Let's work through this.

Initiate of Lathander is a feat in Player's Guide to Faerūn, and lets you spontaneously cast spells with the [Light] descriptor. Celestial Brilliance is a spell in Book of Exalted Deeds with the [Light] descriptor; it affects one object.
Undead creatures take 1d6 points of damage each round they are within the bright light. Chain Spell is a metamagic feat in Complete Arcane.
Benefit: Any spell that specifies a single target and has a range greater than touch can be chained so as to affect that primary target normally, then arc to a number of secondary targets equal to your caster level (maximum 20). ... If the chained spell deals damage, the secondary targets each take half as much damage as the primary target ... A chained spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell's actual level. Divine Metamagic is a metamagic feat in Complete Divine.
As a free action, you can take the energy from turning or rebuking undead and use it to apply a metamagic feat to spells that you know. So with this combination you could spontaneously cast Celestial Brilliance on one object in the room, and spend four undead turn attempts to chain it to CL secondary objects. Celestial Brilliance (indirectly) deals damage, so the undead affected by the first object take normal damage and the undead affected by chained objects only half as much.
Combining Magical Effects

Spells or magical effects usually work as described, no matter how many other spells or magical effects happen to be operating in the same area or on the same recipient. Except in special cases, a spell does not affect the way another spell operates. Celestial Brilliance deals damage to undead, with that damage coming from different objects. These damages all apply, just as damage from multiple castings of Magic Missile would all apply. There's no stacking, because the effects are independent (apart from the half damage dictated by Chain Spell).

Yes, this works.

jcsw
2008-10-12, 04:08 AM
Shadowcraft Mage. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=655556)
Enter as a Wizard to pull Arcane Disciple, spontaneously cast Miracle from a 7th level slot. Adjust the metamagic to your own level of cheese. The class works fine with only 110% realism, entered from Beguiler, for spontaneous Evocation, Conjuration, Illusion, and Enchantment.
Otherwise, just play a spontaneous caster(Beguiler, Warmage, or Dread Necromancer), go Rainbow Servant, with dips in Sandshaper, Voyeristic Seer, and any others that I'm missing, and cast off of several lists spontaneously.
Why Cleric spontaneously? You could probably do the same thing with a Favored Soul and Runestaves, especially if you can get a homebrew version in.

Because Favored Souls don't get Divine Metamagic, runestaves can't surprise your DM since he let you buy them. Also, "won't" means "will not", not "will". I can't imagine any DM who would allow Shadowcraft Mage to get miracle, or even reach 110% realism.
---
Also, there's no halving involved in this case: While the fact that the spell does damage triggers the statement, all it does is halve the damage dealt to the objects. Half of zero is zero.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-12, 04:16 AM
Because Favored Souls don't get Divine Metamagic, runestaves can't surprise your DM since he let you buy them. Also, "won't" means "will not", not "will". I can't imagine any DM who would allow Shadowcraft Mage to get miracle, or even reach 110% realism.Which is why I said to adjust for your level of cheese. Eliminate Miracle, the class is still good. Aim for 110% because that way your 8th level spells are 100%. Go Beguiler, you get Spontaneous Conjurations(mostly), Evocations, Illusions, and Enchantments. That's half the schools. Toss in ways of expanding your spell list(Sand Shaper, Voyeristic Seer, and the like), and you have a spontaneous spell list that's bigger than most Wizard's spellbooks. And it's not even cheesy, just powerful.

And Runestaves always surprise my DMs, but they usually run Magic Item shops. All they want to know is if I'm buying something unusual, they don't care what spells I want on it. YMMV.

Paul H
2008-10-12, 06:09 AM

That's no moon...

Hi

Yep - though spellbooks have 100 pages in them. One page/spell level that makes 33 Explosive Runes, or 198xD6. No save if adjacent, Reflex for half if within 10'.

I suppose thats one way to activate 34 spells as a Standard Action! :smalltongue:

Cheers
Paul H

Glimbur
2008-10-12, 05:18 PM
Hi

Yep - though spellbooks have 100 pages in them. One page/spell level that makes 33 Explosive Runes, or 198xD6. No save if adjacent, Reflex for half if within 10'.

I suppose thats one way to activate 34 spells as a Standard Action! :smalltongue:

Cheers
Paul H

It needn't be a spell book, and Explosive Runes don't have a set size. You could fill a cookbook with them. The actual question is how many pages can a 10 lb book have, as the spell targets "one object weighing no more than 10 lbs".

Zeful
2008-10-12, 05:40 PM
Hi

Cheers
Paul H

The one page per spell level rule only applies to scribing spells into a spellbook. Casting Explosive runes is not scribing a spell. Therefore you have 100 castings of the spells. Leading to 600d6 damage, no save, reflex save for half within 10 feet. Of course at fifth level it would take 50+ days to make such a book, as you would only have two 3rd level spell slots per day.

Keld Denar
2008-10-12, 05:43 PM
Bah, why do people still propetuate the whole shadow miracle thing? Careful reading of the text of Shadow Illusion states that you can cast any spell on the wizard/sorcerer spell list that fits the qualifier. Miracle doesn't exist on that spell list. You can add it to your spell list by taking Arcane Disciple (Luck) BUT it doesn't add it to the base wiz/sorc spell list as its written in the book. Its a blatent oversight they people have heard so many times that they don't even question it. No book yet printed includes Miracle on the wizard/sorc spell list, so it can't be replicated by Shadow Illusion. Being on your wizard spell list doesn't allow you to replicated it because the wording on Shadow Illusion specifically specifies THE wiz/sorc list, not YOUR wiz/sorc list.

Its an abuse of both RAW and RAI, yet no one cares because they just keep creaming themselves with ZOMG SHADOWS MIRAKLESZZ DROOL!!!!

Jack_Simth
2008-10-12, 06:15 PM
The one page per spell level rule only applies to scribing spells into a spellbook. Casting Explosive runes is not scribing a spell. Therefore you have 100 castings of the spells. Leading to 600d6 damage, no save, reflex save for half within 10 feet. Of course at fifth level it would take 50+ days to make such a book, as you would only have two 3rd level spell slots per day.
Unfortunately, this doesn't work on a few levels.

1) Stacking rules.
See, the spell Explosive Runes is not instantaneous, and it affects an object, not just a small bit of writing - so putting multiple castings is only marginally different than a single casting, because it's a spell that affects an object.

2) The first to go off effectively destroys the rest.
When an object is destroyed, most magical effects on it are effectively destroyed as well (the Symbol line is an exception to this). The first one to go off will usually destroy the object - and when the object is destroyed, so are all the accompanying spells.

3) DM's don't like point-blank annihilation of their campaign.
If you actually try to use that in-game, you've got a problem - you've just vaporized everything in a 10-foot radius with effectively no save, with a single standard action, using no effects above 3rd level. A blank Spellbook is a whopping 15 gp, an ink pen, 1 sp, and a vial of ink is only 8 gp. For 23.1 gp and a bit of down-time, any Wizard-5 (who hasn't banned Abjuration, anyway) has a tactical nuke. You don't want to be on the receiving end.

4) If someone knows you're carrying this, you're dead.
If you've got that in-game, you've got a problem - you have to transport it - and someone casting Dispel Magic on it will trigger them - which is very bad for you (there's ways around this, but they leave the book harder to get to for when you want to use it).

Zeful
2008-10-12, 06:30 PM
I'm not saying it's perfect. Just a fun thing to do to blow your way out of jams.

As for the stacking, take the book apart, cast explosive runes on the paper (Paper!) and then tie it into a bundle (or make it back into a book).

Flickerdart
2008-10-12, 06:30 PM
It's plausible that a DM could be persuaded to have Dispel Magic be subject to the same limitation as Divination spells: a thin sheet of lead blocks. Then just have a little box for your tactical nuke.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-12, 06:34 PM
1) Stacking rules.
See, the spell Explosive Runes is not instantaneous, and it affects an object, not just a small bit of writing - so putting multiple castings is only marginally different than a single casting, because it's a spell that affects an object.Damage always stacks, and the spell is cast on pages, not an actual book.
2) The first to go off effectively destroys the rest.
When an object is destroyed, most magical effects on it are effectively destroyed as well (the Symbol line is an exception to this). The first one to go off will usually destroy the object - and when the object is destroyed, so are all the accompanying spells.All resolve at the same time, there are no rules to indicate that Dispel Magic happens in any order.
3) DM's don't like point-blank annihilation of their campaign.
If you actually try to use that in-game, you've got a problem - you've just vaporized everything in a 10-foot radius with effectively no save, with a single standard action, using no effects above 3rd level. A blank Spellbook is a whopping 15 gp, an ink pen, 1 sp, and a vial of ink is only 8 gp. For 23.1 gp and a bit of down-time, any Wizard-5 (who hasn't banned Abjuration, anyway) has a tactical nuke. You don't want to be on the receiving end.This is an anti-BBEG spell, designed for the end of a campaign when you've had months to cast it daily. The spell will be banned afterwards, but the first time it is fine.
If you've got that in-game, you've got a problem - you have to transport it - and someone casting Dispel Magic on it will trigger them - which is very bad for you (there's ways around this, but they leave the book harder to get to for when you want to use it).HHH or Glove of Storing. Both are otherwise useful, both work well.

Chronos
2008-10-12, 09:36 PM
Arcane Disciple adds the spell to your class list. So far as anything you do is concerned, yes, Miracle is a sor/wiz spell. If you don't like that, feel free to houserule it away, but the rules as written do allow it.

Rei_Jin
2008-10-12, 09:43 PM
The scary thing is that once it is considered to be an Sorceror/Wizard spell, any other Wizard in the world can buy a scroll of it and scribe it into their book.

By saying that yes, you add it to your spell list, WotC have opened a huge can of worms

JaxGaret
2008-10-13, 02:12 AM
The scary thing is that once it is considered to be an Sorceror/Wizard spell, any other Wizard in the world can buy a scroll of it and scribe it into their book.

By saying that yes, you add it to your spell list, WotC have opened a huge can of worms

Any Wizard can certainly have Miracle in their spellbook as a Wizard spell; however, they cannot prepare it without also themselves having Miracle on their personal spell list.

Remember, spellbook =/= spell list.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-10-14, 07:58 AM
Btw: Can anyone tell me the page with the rule that says celestial brilliance can't stack? I've never found the rule anywhere.

And warmage can't spontaneously DMM his spells. :P

He can if he takes Warmage9/Rainbow Servant10/Sacred Exorcist1. Or toss in Sacred Exorcist before Rainbow Servant. SE is available to Arcane clases, and gives Turn attempts to fuel DMM cheeze.

Enjoy.

Xallace
2008-10-14, 08:32 AM
Priest of the Waste from Sandstorm nets you the ability to spontaneously cast a bunch of useful spells; nothing too impressive, but nice. Sandshaper, a class from the same book, also adds a bunch of spells to your spells known, which is useful if you already cast some spells spontaneously.

There is a 7-level class in Faiths of Eberron (I can't remember the name) that nets you one extra Domain every level, plus bonus Domain slots. It's so-so if you want it for special domain abilities, but great if you get Domain Spontenaiety and bunches of Extra Turning, or just maybe a really, really high Charisma. You lose two caster levels, but it presents a lot of options.

For fun, the class does not require you to have a holy symbol to cast your spells. One cleric, 9 domains, and completely ambiguous as to who his god is. Sounds like a party to me.

UserClone
2008-10-14, 08:58 AM
AFAIK, the only type of roll that you can choose to fail is a saving throw. Where in the RAW does it say you can decide to fail a dispel check?

[/thread-derail]

Leon
2008-10-14, 09:55 AM
A Iron Lich with plenty of Souls in its Soul cages can happily cast any and all of its spells spontaneously for as long as it has power (a Soul will power 4x its Level in spell levels - ie a 2nd HD soul can power a 8th level or any combination thereof)

Swooper
2008-10-14, 10:41 AM
A Iron Lich with plenty of Souls in its Soul cages can happily cast any and all of its spells spontaneously for as long as it has power (a Soul will power 4x its Level in spell levels - ie a 2nd HD soul can power a 8th level or any combination thereof)
Where is Iron Lich from?

Jayabalard
2008-10-14, 10:56 AM
Damage always stacks, and the spell is cast on pages, not an actual book.It seems pretty clear that he's saying that the entry on explosive runes implies that the object would have to be the book, not individual pages, and therefore it doesn't matter how many times you cast the spell, it doesn't stack.

This is an anti-BBEG spell, designed for the end of a campaign when you've had months to cast it daily.It seems pretty likely that it's a TPK spell, since you have a very good of a chance of getting hit by a dispel that fails somewhere along the way.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-14, 10:58 AM
It seems pretty likely that it's a TPK spell, since you have a very good of a chance of getting hit by a dispel that fails somewhere along the way.Heward's Handy Haversack. I've had characters at 5th level with that, and enemies can't hit it without using a Trans-dimensional Dispel Magic.

Chronos
2008-10-14, 10:07 PM
Even if you can't deliberately fail a dispel check, you still have half of them going off. Or more, if you're voluntarily reducing your caster level for the Dispel (which is allowed for any spell). And if the "book = one object" is a problem, just use a deck of cards instead.

Leon
2008-10-14, 10:44 PM
Where is Iron Lich from?

Iron Kingdoms Monsternomicom One

LibraryOgre
2008-10-14, 11:01 PM
Somewhat in the spirit of the OP (i.e. No warmage/beguiler cheese).

TN cloistered cleric of Lathander (not allowed per F&P, but allowed via the one-step policy; you might be able to scam a LN follower of Amauntor, the god of the noon-day sun... technically dead, but he's at full strength by the late 1400s, and being dead doesn't prevent one from granting spells in 3.x, since one doesn't even need to be a deity to do so). Take the Initiate of Lathander feat and the Spontaneous Wounder feat at 1st level. At 3rd level, take Spontaneous Summoner (possible because, as a Neutral Cloistered Cleric, nature is a class skill for you, with your free knowledge domain).

At 3rd level, you can spontaneously Cure, Wound, Summon Nature's Ally, or cast any spell with the Light descriptor.

monty
2008-10-14, 11:29 PM
And if the "book = one object" is a problem, just use a deck of cards instead.

I can see someone using this to make Gambit.