PDA

View Full Version : Need help balancing my fluff

Tar Palantir
2008-10-12, 03:31 PM
I'm working on a new campaign setting that divides spellcasters into two groups, based on which of the two long-dead creator gods they are attuned to. In order to mechanically represent this, I have divided spellcasting based on school. Those with the power of the Maker have access to conjuration, evocation, transmutation and divination, those under the influence of the Seemer can use necromancy, illusion, enchantment, and abjuration. Both arcane and divine casters can only cast spells from the four schools of their progenitor deity. This idea is still in its early stages, and I'd like opinions on the mechanical effects of this split. None of my players are ridiculous optimizers, so I'd like an analysis both with and without attempts at breaking the system.

AstralFire
2008-10-12, 03:35 PM
Seemer is probably slightly stronger, but that's a pretty even split.

Hootman
2008-10-12, 07:39 PM
What? Insane optimizers? FINALLY, something I'm good at!

Ok, here's what I see. From just a basic perusal of the spells in the PHB, it appears that you've given almost every direct "I cast this spell and do damage now" spell to the Makers. Seemers get all of the "It's so much fun to mess with NPC's heads" spells. So it looks like any Maker with a good Will Save (That would be...ALL straight-up casters I know of) and reasonable luck will EAT Seemers in the same class. At least until Seemers get within range to use Finger of Death, and then any Arcane Makers are done.

Seriously though, it looks like Makers get all the attack and enhancement spells, while Seemers get...whatever's left. It's not a bad idea to have a major magic divide, but just a cursory glance nets you Makers every time (unless people are TRYING to make things hard for themselves, or it's a strictly urban campaign). Also, if I'm not mistaken, all Cure spells are Conjuration [Healing]. Soo...Seemer clerics....are useless. More or less.

Tar Palantir
2008-10-12, 08:13 PM
Seemer clerics do have all of the necromancy, including inflict, but Seemer clerics would be more protagonist fodder than PC material, but not much different than good vs evil clerics. The main advantage the Seemers have against Maker casters is abjuration, which means all the best protection spells and the dispel magic line. Thus Seemers can neutralize casters with antimagic or use of dispel magic as counterspelling (which becomes a very nice tactic when Makers cannot counterspell Seemers at all, thanks to split spell lists). And necromancy does have some offensive options for arcane, albeit not always damage (chill/ghoul/vampiric touch, enervation, etc.). Makers may have more damage, but with the protections, Seemers can take it, just like Makers can make the Will saves to resist the Seemers' enchantments. Plus, I just remembered the Shadow line of spells. May not be too effective against casters, but not too many fighters will be able to tell the difference between the real and "fake" fireballs roasting their behinds :smallbiggrin:.