PDA

View Full Version : Eberron Escapades (IC)

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-12, 06:04 PM
It’s the early days of summer in Stormreach, a time, given the continent’s humidity, particularly uncomfortable for most. This is no consolation to three waking strangers in the Harbor District.
-----------------------------------------

The gentle rocking of the boat gently bumps your head against a plank. As you begin to regain consciousness you realize this plank is just one of many which make up the box you are confined in.

Your body is cramped and numb from whatever measure of time you’ve spent this way. The wood scrapes against your naked back. A collective of creeks and groans lets you know you are not alone.

Tophi
From your ribs to your right hip you can feel a dull burning. It seems you’ve collected a intricate tattoo, too intricate to be a common slave brand.

Count your spells as prepared

John
From your left shoulder to the back of your left ribs you can feel a dull burning. Tracing the mark you can surmise it’s an intricate tattoo, too intricate for a common slave brand

Thakhal
On the square of your back you feel a dull burning. By touch you can tell it’s an intricate tattoo, too intricate for a common slave brand.

Bayar
2008-10-12, 06:51 PM
John

John will try to see if the box has any loose planks. Also, he should know if he has his gear with him.

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-12, 06:58 PM
You are without equipment for now.

John
The box is sturdy, but in one of the corners there are some loose nails.
Make a Strength check if you'd like to risk kicking it open.

Toliudar
2008-10-12, 10:19 PM
Tophi

The blood rushes to Tophi's head, and she fights back nausea. What had snuck up on her? How had the hunter been so successfully hunted?

Time for such questions later. Just as there was time to probe this strange new brand marking her side.

The young woman's fingers probed the edges of the box, testing the soundness of the trees that had been sacrificed to make it.

Think, girl. You might be able to burn your way out, but would you still be alive when the wood was gone? Try something less drastic first.

Focusing her energies inward, Tophi feels her bestial nature emerge. Claws lengthen from her fingers. Fur sprouts across her torso. Teeth lengthen, and fangs jut forward. In a moment, a timber wolf lunges forward to worry at the edges of a plank, seeking purchase to tear and tear, and reach freedom.

Shapeshifting into predator form, and starting a series of bite attacks against the box. Damage per round will be 1d6+3, so if the crate has the average hardness for wood, 5, she'll start to see at least a little splintering and damage in a few rounds.

Experimentally, some damage rolls.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-12, 10:48 PM
The crate begins to give, wood warped in the middle. But for the splinters on the sides and between Tophi's teeth it's an opening.

The room is occupied by your comrades-in-boxes and a finely dressed woman reading by the door. The deck you’re on is badly lit, but in the corner you can make out an unceremoniously thrown together pile of clothes and equipment.

The doorway behind the woman leads out towards the docks. A rising sun illuminates the boards before her seat. She looks up exasperatedly before turning back to the book.

“Awake, hmm… and I was dying from the anticipation,” she remarks without another look, “I suppose you want to know why you’re here and where here is…”

She gets up and steps outside.

“but Mennix doesn’t pay me enough for that”

Because I'm a sucker for visual aides.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/Lord_Of_The_Ducks/housecannithreceptionist.jpg

Spot and Listen checks if you please

Bayar
2008-10-13, 06:48 AM
John

Disliking his current location, John decides to try and force his way out. Hope these nails are not rusty. That might hurt a bit.

STR check to kick open the box: [roll0]

Glawackus
2008-10-13, 08:29 AM
"My goodness," Thakhal says. He moves about inside his box, trying to get an arm free in order to assist the others.

"And who is Mennix?"

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

DEX check to get a hand free in order to aid others: [roll2]

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-13, 05:47 PM
John kicks loose a side of the box and fits through handily. Thakhal has no luck finding a hole, but notes the top of the crate is made of lighter wood than the rest.

The woman gives no answer to Thakhal's query. Tophi can see through the doorway her speaking to an important looking sahuagin.

Glawackus
2008-10-13, 06:14 PM
"Hmmph. Someone needs a lesson in manners," the Pere says, leaning back onto his back and trying to kick up in order to break out of the top of the box.

STR check
[roll0]

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-13, 06:28 PM
The middle plank of Pere's crate snaps like the cheap wood it is. A couple firm shoves later and the top is off.

The beam of light streaming from the doorway is shortening with the morning sun. Behind the woman's chair is a lantern and the hook to hang it from.

Toliudar
2008-10-13, 10:08 PM
Tophi

The wolf tumbles out of its trashed crate. The woman looks dangerous, and there's a shark-man with her. From the voices in the other crates, it sounds like there are other prisoners. And, as when a coyote teams up with a wolf to ward a black bear off a kill, the enemy of her enemy. Two of the crates are already coming loose. So...

The wolf lunges at a corner beam of Thakhal's crate, tearing at it with her teeth.

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-14, 05:54 PM
The three of you stand in a largely empty deck. To one end is a pile of familiar looking clothes and equipment and to the other is a doorway and previously occupied chair. The walls are lined with crates, as Tophi breaks a corner off one gears and bolts spill out.

Glawackus
2008-10-14, 07:11 PM
"Well, then," the kalashtar says, standing up and putting on a sensible Silver Flame pendant before pulling on some loose robes. "This grows curiouser and curiouser, if I am any judge." He bends to pick up a gear and roll it about in his hand thoughtfully.

Toliudar
2008-10-14, 08:33 PM
Tophi

The timber wolf snorts. Not bothering with the equipment or gears, it steps cautiously towards the monocled woman in the doorway.

Seeking clarification - she's still in the doorway, chatting with the sahuagin?

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-14, 09:52 PM
The lady is speaking in a guttural tongue to the shark-man. A bit of chatter latter she deposits a coinpurse in his webbed hand and walks over to lean against the railing by the gangplank. She resumes her literary diversion in spite of the surrounding hubbub.

On deck a crew of sahuagin and half-giants load boxes labeled "Forgelight" off the boat.

Bayar
2008-10-17, 12:20 PM
John

Looking at the wolf, the other guy in the box, the woman and the other people on the docks, John says:

Damn, how much did I drink last nignt ?

He stops to look at his tattoo.

Glawackus
2008-10-18, 01:53 PM
"Strong drink is a Mocker," the kalashtar says absentmindedly, as if it's part of a lecture he's given several times before.

He reaches into a pocket of his robe and tosses a crystal up into the air. "Well, then," he says, watching it reflect the light for a moment, "at least I've got my better half here."

He grabs for some other accoutrements with a smile at the drunken man. "Pere Thakhal. I am but a simple servant of the Silver Flame."

Bayar
2008-10-20, 04:14 AM
John

Captain John Danish. Glad to make your aqaintance.
The man, still in shock, asks: So, is it like this every day ?

Toliudar
2008-10-20, 06:40 AM
Tophi

The wolf turns to look quizzically back at the two men, then darts out onto the deck to get a better sense of whether the ship had put to sea, whether it was within sight of land, or docked. She blinks briefly in the sunlight.

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-20, 06:07 PM
Tophi sprints past a line of sahuagin haulers, eliciting gurgled yelps of irritation.

The cabin faces out of the bay, but turning around she gets a good look at the harbor. A moldy pier connects the docked boat to a string of seedy bars and noisy warehouses. To the left the buildings are scarcer and built of stone, the sparse street is interrupted by a massive canal feeding into the harbor. To the right the buildings grow taller and more respectable, leading into a walled city section. The harbor is flanked by a sheer fifty foot cliff topped with another wall and silhouette of towers. The skyline is dotted by what looks like floating boulders tethered to the earth and each other by rope bridges.

The barking sound of the woman shouting in the sharkmen's tongue brings her attention back on deck. The sahuagin workers are making a commotion and pointing to the wolf. The woman handles the complaints in a tone strict even by sahaugin standards. After deferring the crewmen to their captain she turns on Tophi.

"Are you denser than I first thought? Now that would be a feat. These crews are very specific over the cargo they move and a shifter, not a wolf, was on our inventory. Shoo, shoo, come back with some clothes on and damn good explanation."

Toliudar
2008-10-21, 11:24 AM
Tophi

Tophi leapt for the railing, changing back to her natural form as she did so. Hooking a hand easily over the railing, she balanced on the outside of the railing. Her furry nakedness was the least of her worries at this point. The shifter spits her words back at the woman.

Slaver bicth. Give me one good reason not to swim for open waters right now.

Bayar
2008-10-21, 03:24 PM
John

Whispering to Tophi: Now I know that you are a monastic type and all, but...would it be really wrong to lust for someone like her ? Just asking....not that I lust for her or anything...you know, just curios...

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-21, 05:38 PM
The woman looks on unimpressed.

"The wilds of Xen'drik, the House Lyrandar harbor enforcers, the malenti lord and his cult of the Devourer in Shargon's Teeth, and whatever it is Merrix wants you secreted away from out of Khorvaire."

She guardedly extends a gloved hand, takes a sigh, and recites an introduction which clearly does not agree with her.

"I'm Lady Channa d'Cannith, and you are Merrix's most honored guests this morning. If you'd be so pleased to accompany me, he'll be receiving you in the Kundarak enclave with the distinguished and reticent House Lord Korbek Ghedin for brunch and a discussion of your predicament."

She takes another breath and grits through the last of the salutation.

"Now doesn't that sound fun"

Glawackus
2008-10-22, 09:06 AM
"I was unaware that Lord Cannith's guests usually came to him via the post," Thakhal says, prodding at his crate with his foot. "And, if I may be so bold, I have never seen Cannithmen such as these." He nods to one of the sahuagin.

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-22, 06:49 PM
"You may not," Channa snips.

Toliudar
2008-10-22, 08:07 PM
Tophi

The shifter opts not to leave her perch.

We are Merrix' most honoured guests? Stripped, branded and put in boxes for transport? I'd hate to see what he does with out-of-favour in-laws.

She seems to waver. Curiosity battled with rage on her face. Eventually, she hopped back over the side, and strode to the monocled woman. Flaring her nostrils, Tophi took in a good whiff of the woman.

Can't wait to see what this Merrix has to say for himself. Since he clearly doesn't trust you to say it for him.

She snorts, and heads back into the cabin to find her belongings.

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-22, 11:05 PM
Beyond the woman's perfume is a scent of oil and soot. She conducts the party to the gangplank and leads them without a second look back.

The heat is oppressive and docks crowded, but through it Channa carries herself haughtily through the bustle. On the pier half-giant haulers load cargo at the commands of drow and half-elf foremen. The closer the three of you get to the waterfront the more overpowering the stench of the sewers and fish market is.

Immediately off the pier is a loud and brightly painted drinking hole. A whip thin man with greasy black hair stumbles out, cradling a box and pushing his way past Thakhal.

"Out of the way, meat"

The crowd thickens as the harbor road leads into a market square. The street is split by fish stands and hockers of cheap wares. To the right a squat tower flying the flag of Riedra breaks the ramshackle emporium. Across the street a smithy hangs the sign "Hammer and Chain" just above the market tarps. Channa does a well enough job of pushing the mob out of your way, but the boulevard is suffocating.

Out of the square the road grows cobbled and slopes upwards. A ridiculously sized gate opens to a quieter part of town. Down the street another there is another line of stalls, but Channa leads you down a cul-de-sac shaded by clotheslines and two-story houses. Past a tailor shop she leads you up a flight of wooden stairs and onto the district wall.

"Hurry now, I won't tolerate Locksmith's Square any longer than I have to on your behalf"

A dusty, but well kept quarter under the left face of the rampart roars with activity. A stone coliseum and massive tavern dominate the far side of the district. Two streets later Channa finds the most immediate stairwell facing the bay.

Shortly she leads you back on cobbled roads leading to a moated structure more vault-like than architectural in build. With a nod your hostess dismisses a cadre of dwarven guards crowding the bridge.

"Take the first corridor to the left. If you're lucky you'll catch him between appetizers"

Map
For future reference. You've made your way from the tiny 6 to the tiny 25
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/Lord_Of_The_Ducks/stormreachmap.jpg

Tophi
The Harbor is crowded enough, but through the stalls you can make out a shifter run establishment. The elderly shopkeep is making chatter with a regular.

"Don't give a thought to Tattered Alice, she makes it up because she knows it won't happen. A load of hogwash and superstition she is"

John
A three-fingered dwarf steps out of the smith shop to examine a bit of scrap offered up by some children. He nods in approval and tosses them a coin.

On the palisade by Locksmith's Square you can make out bits of a distant crier's call.
"Two weeks...no show you've ever seen...handpicked by Kolos... amateur night build up"

Thakhal
Outside the Riedran consulate you can see an important looking representative sharing a guarded conversation with a familiar figure. You can't quite make out what they're saying, but can read the words "rats" and "wave" from the Riedran's lips.

Passing through the cobbled tailor district you can make out a number of Brelish accents. Among them an idler voicing how, "I don't care how homesick they are, that's something ridiculous for a set of mugs"

Toliudar
2008-10-23, 10:00 AM
Tophi

On the journey through Stormreach, the shifter took the opportunity to size up her two fellow "guests". She was squarish and muscular, with flaring nostrils and wild hair, but there was an undeniable efficiency and care with which she moved.

After a bit of observation, she moved closer and nodded.

Tophi. Any idea what happened, or who this Merrix guy is?

Glawackus
2008-10-23, 03:04 PM
"I can only assume he's Baron Merrix d'Cannith, head of the House of Artifice," the Pere says, reaching up to tie his gray hair back with a small argent clasp. "If he's here in Stormreach, though, something's strange..."

Toliudar
2008-10-23, 05:27 PM
Tophi

Tophi shrugs at the news.

He, uh, sounds important. Haven't had much truck with most of the houses, out in the Reaches.

You, uh, saying that Stormreach is outside of Cannith's usual operations, then? Maybe they're looking to expand.

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-23, 06:51 PM
The hallway ends in a sun-roofed patio. By a parterre a duo of glass tables and set of wicker chairs seat the House Lords. A regal but approachable man sits improperly, staring vacantly at the floral arrangement. Upon the group's arrival his attention snaps up and a smile lightens his features.

"Oh good, good. You've arrived. Come, sit down. We have questions, answers, and a lovely lobster bisque. I trust Lady Vown was her usual charming self."

To his right a stuffily dressed dwarf looks up with a temperance of emotion. His solemn expression is topped by the heavily armed guard behind him whose silence was almost deafening. A trio of warforged chamberlains arrive at the beck of Merrix and begin setting three additional seats with startling efficiency. In the space of four seconds the places are set and chamberlains back on their way out.

Merrix
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/Lord_Of_The_Ducks/melchial_by_nebezial.jpg
Korbek & Co.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/Lord_Of_The_Ducks/korbek.jpg

Toliudar
2008-10-24, 12:27 AM
Tophi

The shifter woman balances on the balls of her feet, swaying a bit left to right. She is clearly uncomfortable, and looks to her two companions for their reactions.

Bayar
2008-10-27, 02:05 PM
John

Ah, thanks. Taking his place at the table, John examines his surroundings. So, what do we owe this delightful dinner party to ?

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-27, 05:40 PM
"You don't recall then..," your host pauses.

In the interlude the warforged butlers return with five bowls of a creamy, pink soup and a basket of hot biscuits.

"Well, why don't you share your most recent memories and I'll see where to begin?"

Toliudar
2008-10-27, 05:44 PM
Tophi

The shifter woman slinks to a chair, sniffing at the biscuits suspiciously before tearing into one.

Lessee. I'd just come out of the reaches, looking for fresh work. I was walking down a side street...

Glawackus
2008-10-29, 09:42 PM
"I had just finished my morning's communions with the Flame," Thakhal says, seating himself with a touch to his Flame pendant and tucking into the soup. "Brother Caduceus had come up to ask me a question about the keys to the stockhouse." He pauses to contemplate this for a moment, spoon halfway to his lips. "This was in Flamekeep, of course."

GrassyGnoll
2008-10-30, 05:57 PM
"...And then you were abducted by scientists in the employ of the Emerald Claw and subjected to horrifying experiments!"

Merrix looks a bit at John.

"I'm sorry, I have a dreadful sense of timing. Anything you wanted to add?"

Korbek looks up from his soup, apparently put off by Merrix's sense of humor. An uncomfortable cough later Merrix turns back to you.

"Now Channa may not be the easiest to get along with but she was valedictorian at the Tower of the Twelve four years ago. And I fear the fourth last student of such Khorvaire will see."

"There was... an explosion. The Tower, and a good crater-ful of Korth, is gone. Kaius' men did us the favor of fingering the culprits, some Emerald Claw saboteurs with a special interest in the Tower's files. The Houses are livid and Medani have delivered us a trail of clues. One of which is you... you plural, all of you. You fell off the proverbial 'back of the wagon' in a lab raid."

Merrix picks a biscuit to dip in his bisque and nibbles at it before continuing.

"Now you're sure. That's all you remember?

GrassyGnoll
2008-11-02, 04:35 PM
Your hosts finish their soup in awkward silence.

"Apparently not," Merrix breaks the silence at length, "but, you can't lure sociopathic terrorist organizations into the open without cracking a few heads. As of now only Channa, myself, Korbek, and a very well paid crew of smugglers know you're here. Korbek and I have agreed to let you wander the streets of Stormreach on two conditions, that you report to Lady Vown in the Forgelight district periodically and..."

Merrix reaches into a vest pocket and fans out three wands.

"...agree to test these out. Cannith's latest money rake, the eternal wand. Wonderful things really; consider them a gift, cover story, field test. They have two charges a day and come in three great flavors: mirror image, web, and invisibility. Also highly prototypical, use with caution, and never aim at the face. Come on, before Channa catches wind I let you handle them."

When you use the wands just throw in a d20 luck roll. That is if any of you are still here.

Glawackus
2008-11-03, 12:51 AM
Sorry. Busy weekend.

"My word," the gray-haired Kalashtar says calmly. "This is certainly a red-letter day."

His hand hesitating briefly, Pere Khasht eventually draws the wand of web. "If there isn't a sticky situation, as I always say, make one." His eyes twinkle merrily as he slips it into the sleeve of his loose robe.

Toliudar
2008-11-03, 07:35 AM
Tophi has by now contented herself that the food doesn't seem poisoned and makes the most of the soup course.

So...you're saying that we were test subjects of the Emerald Claw, that we were discovered in a raid you made on a Claw base, that you've had us shipped here in crates, and now you've made us dinner and are giving us a magic wand?

Tophi shakes her head. Maybe the soup had been poisoned after all.

So...now we're free to go?

My understanding is that you have to be an arcanist to use the eternal wands. Am I wrong in that?

GrassyGnoll
2008-11-03, 06:44 PM
Normally, but eternal wands, as found in some Dragonmarked module .pdf don't. They're part of the whole 'every-day' magic feel of the setting.

If I read that wrong they're 'prototypes' anyway.

"Yes, but you were in the crates when we found you. And you'll miss the crab cakes. There's a well known hang out for the Blood in town, the Black Freighter. From what I gather about the Karrns in Grindstone they wouldn't take kindly to kalashtar or shifter patrons. Which is what we'll need...," the Baron pauses, "Oh how dreadfully embarrassing, I don't know your names. Well, if the 'man' man of your party could slip in we'd appreciate any tips."

Although if bayar is continually absent you could hire some 'local color' as I re-recruit a couple more. Kaihaku's still in, so you have a guaranteed fill-in already.

Toliudar
2008-11-03, 08:03 PM
Tophi

Seeing no one else reaching for that wand, Tophi exercises the prerogative and grabs the one that Merrix noted was Mirror Image.

I got ways of going in to listen without anybody thinking I'm a shifter. What's so special about the Black Freighter?

And, before I forget, you got any idea what these things are?

Hiking up her shirt, Tophi points to the brand.

GrassyGnoll
2008-11-03, 08:45 PM
"Well known duelist and Claw top brass Dedrick Beynar frequents the establishment. The bar is in the middle of Grindstone, a load of Karrn expatriates, and has been unusually quiet the last couple of weeks. It has a profile to say the least."

Merrix leans his head to get a look at the mark.

"Missus, I'm a mechanic, not a doctor. If you'll brave the Harbor again maybe Nalia Dagoward would take a look at you."

Bayar
2008-11-04, 06:25 AM
Sry, thought this died. Will post something meaningful after reading a bit...

GrassyGnoll
2008-11-06, 06:35 PM
The two lords wait silently for a response from John. The crab cakes arrive before an answer. A warforged butler sets a plate of them in the middle of the table.

"Yes, well," Merrix begins, "Why don't you take bag a couple and get on your way. Soak up some local color and whatnot. Just visit Channa some time this week, she may have something to pass by on my account."

Khasht
You feel your mind expand to a psionic link.

"If you're heading to Locksmith's Square keep clear of Eldred's pool. It has a less than agreeable effect on Kalashtar," a dwarven resounds in your head.

Korbek picks a crab cake from the platter and without looking nods

All
If you're entering a district give me a Spot/Listen check. I'll layer some details in accordance.

And bayar this game is only going to go as slow as you post in it. Once an important NPC offers you a gift and prompts you directly to speak there's not much more I can do to further things.

Toliudar
2008-11-06, 09:35 PM
Tophi

Tophi helps herself to several crab cakes, which never make it to a bag of any sort.

Wait. So, you want us to hang around this bar? To do what? And we look for Channa back on the ship? What if we find some Claw underling and drag him back here, so you can figure out what's going on?

Sorry, I must have still had a bunch of moss between my ears.

Also crab cakes, between her ears. Tophi looks for more crab cakes.

GrassyGnoll
2008-11-06, 09:57 PM
The baron shrugged.

"If you get around to it. We'll see if your man friend here is up to the job. If people are going to talk about Claw activities it's going to be there and we'd like you to listen in for us," Merrix serves himself a cake.

"Told ya this, but Lady Channa Vown d'Cannith haunts the Forgelight district, the Stormreach Forge specifically. You sure you're up for this eavesdropping business?"

He takes a bite and chews over it slowly.

"And to dam your flood of questions, no. By Khyber itself, no. Stirring up trouble now would defeat the purpose of whisking you here in the first place. No, you are to stir up trouble exactly when it is expected of you. Or when no other options avail themselves. Or you are bored. And while this place may be a fortress, it's Lord Korbek's fortress and I imagine he'd be in quite the tiff if I got a scratch on it. "

The seated dwarf looks up unamused at the baron.

Toliudar
2008-11-06, 10:59 PM
Tophi

The shifter snorted enormously.

Mister, I got a lousy track record of conforming to expectations. Especially when I don't even know what they are.

If all you're after is listening...well, that I can do. And if you're asking us to say hi to Miz Channa at this Forge place, I'm sure we can figure that out too. Sheesh. Why are all the rich and powerful guys so wound up? Oops, sorry! Another question.

GrassyGnoll
2008-11-06, 11:07 PM
Merrix begins laughing mid bite. He swallows his piece and plants his elbow on the table to lean on.

"Thirty years on the inside, missus, and I still haven't puzzled out that design."

Bayar
2008-11-07, 03:58 AM
John

Going to a local pub and mingling with the locals. That doesnt sound too hard.

GrassyGnoll
2008-11-09, 03:05 PM
The cakes go fast and punctual as ever the warforged butlers arrive to clear everything away.

"If you get in trouble ask for Paulo Omaren. Don't let slip you're watched by the Houses."

Merrix gets up and follows the trio of warforged out a back hallway.

"While you're in town you might enjoy the Red Ring tournament later this week. I know I will. If you ask Lady Channa real nicely I'm sure she'll turn over the tickets I gave her," he calls back.

Korbek nods to a pair of dwarven guards to escort you out. The cobbled streets outside lead back the way Channa took you, a broad avenue leading into Locksmith's Square, and a back road leading to some a canal and boat taxis.

Spot/Listen checks for wherever you're headed.

Toliudar
2008-11-09, 06:33 PM
Tophi

Leaving with Khasht and John, Tophi shrugs.

Well, I don't really have any better options at this point, and anything that helps me scent some answers in this pile of scat is welcome.

She glances at John.

If you're okay with it, I can make myself seem like a old dog to accompany you into that bar. That is...if you're going there.

Spot [roll0], listen [roll1]

Bayar
2008-11-11, 03:29 AM
John

As long as they let dogs enter, sure ! Although I prefer cats. They can warm the heart of any bar keeper...

I guess she is more beast than human...*shrug*