PDA

View Full Version : White Necromancer [PrC]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-12, 09:27 PM
White Necromancer
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/WhiteNecromancer.jpg
Samson Dawnling, white necromancer and cleric of Aeomon

The art of animating the dead into negatively charged abominations is something that the Lord of the Gentle Passing abhors. There are a few clerics of the Deathless god that actually have mastered the art of animating the dead through positive energy, and only if given permission by the soul the body used to belong to. Many of these clerics of Aeomon see this as a mere bending of the rules and shun white necromancers as no better than those they fight, and a rare few have this same belief but are white necromancers themselves, seeing what they do as evil, but necessary.

HD: d6

Requirements
Alignment: Any good
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 10 ranks, Spellcraft 10 ranks
Feats: Corpsecrafter
Divine Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 4th level spells, including the animate dead and holy smite.
Deity: Aeomon

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession and Spellcraft
Skill-points per level: 2+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Animate deathless, turn undead, holy corpsecrafter|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Summon deathless legions|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Deathless domain|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Deathless masses|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Consecration|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Summon undying councilor|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Deathless companion|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Substitute silver|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Great consecration|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Summon ascendant councilor|+1 level of divine spellcasting class
[/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: White necromancers gain proficiency with the greatmace, but no additional armors or shields.

Spellcasting: At each level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level(and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained except turn undead(see below). If you had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a white necromancer, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known(if applicable).

Turn undead: White necromancer levels stack with cleric levels for determining the strength of your turn undead.

Animate Deathless (Su): You are a sanctified worshiper of the White Reaper, Aeomon. To animate the dead is to make a slight against your god, so he grants you the ability to respect the dead by creating deathless creatures instead of undead ones. Whenever you cast the animate dead spell, the creatures you make are instead made just as zombies and skeletons but with the deathless type instead of the undead type. The material component for the spell turns into silver ingots instead of black onyx gems(but still the same price), and whenever you cast it, it has the Good descriptor instead of the Evil. Additionally, the bodies you animate into deathless skeletons and zombies must be willing to have their bodies animated, the soul finding out much about you and knowing you're a force of good in the multiverse.
In special cases, Aeomon will deem a creature unworthy of permission of use of it's body, such cases include creatures so evil that the only way they can have their terrible sins redeemed is to fall into death and have their bodies put to use for the cause of good.

Holy Corpsecrafter (Ex): What you are is considered to be the opposite side of the same coin as most of the malign necromancers in the world, but you are a beacon of holy light in the name of your deity. Any feats that you have with Corpsecrafter as a prerequisite feat now have a similar effect with an opposing element. For example, the Deathly Chill feat would no longer deal cold damage, as a sign of the chill of the grave, but would now deal fire damage, as a piercing holy heat that swells within them.

Summon Deathless Legions (Sp): At 2nd level, you can call a part of the deathless guard that stands endlessly as sentinels in Aeomon's white castle. Once per round, as a full-round action, a white necromancer can summon 2d4 undying soldiers(Eberron Campaign Setting, pg. 302) which act as loyally as possible until they disappear, at the end of as many rounds as equal to your caster level. Once this ability is used, it can't be used again for 5 rounds.
You can only have a total of 24 of these soldiers summoned at any one time.

Deathless Domain: At 3rd level, you gain the Deathless domain(Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 105), as granted to you by Aeomon.

Deathless Masses (Su): At 4th level, you gain the power to control more deathless creatures than previously able. You are now capable of having as many HD in deathless creatures under your control equal to your caster level times your Cha modifier(of 4*your caster level, whichever is higher).

Consecration (Su): At 5th level, a white necromancer exudes the aura of goodness and positive energy. This aura acts exactly as the consecrate spell constantly centered on you, with a caster level equal to your own.

Summon Undying Councilor (Sp): At 6th level, you gain the ability to summon forth the service of one of Aeomon's deathless servants. This ability acts just like the planar ally spell, except you are only capable of summoning an undying councilor(Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 301). You can use this ability as many times per day as equal to your Cha modifier, minimum 1.

Deathless Companion (Ex): At 7th level, you gain the permanent companionship of a deathless creature who worships the Lord of the Gentle Passing just as you do. This acts like the Leadership feat, except you only gain the benefits of the cohort, and the cohort's effective level is always two below your own, despite your actual leadership score. This companion must be of the deathless type and have a good alignment.

Substitute Silver (Ex): At 8th level, you are capable of using your own innate power of the deathless to animate them instead of relying on silver ingots. You no longer require material components when casting the animate dead spell to create deathless zombies and skeletons.

Great Consecration (Su): At 9th level, your aura of positive energy expands greatly. The radius of the aura now is equal to 10 ft. per white necromancer level.

Summon Ascendant Councilor (Sp): At 10th level, you can summon forth one of Aeomon's most powerful servants, the ascendant councilor. This ability works just as the greater planar ally spell, except it only allows you to summon an ascendant councilor(Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 276). This ability is usable only once per day.

Innis Cabal
2008-10-12, 09:58 PM
Interesting concept, not a big fan of the setting but one might be fun to play

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-12, 10:11 PM
Interesting concept, not a big fan of the setting but one might be fun to play

Wait, what setting?

Innis Cabal
2008-10-12, 10:12 PM
Eberron. I figured it was something specific since it pulled a creature from it, obviously was wrong >.>

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-12, 10:18 PM
Eberron. I figured it was something specific since it pulled a creature from it, obviously was wrong >.>

The class is really more Nation of the Dead (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38868) oriented, I just use a few elements of Eberron, and only mechanical stuff. I have a deathless theme for the deity I made up, Aeomon, and Eberron has all the best deathless stuff.

FireSpark
2008-10-12, 10:28 PM
The wording of the "Summon Dethless Legions" ability seems awkward.

Once per round, as a full-round action, a white necromancer can summon 2d4 undying soldiers(Eberron Campaign Setting, pg. 302) which act as loyally as possible until they disappear, at the end of as many rounds as equal to your caster level. Once this ability is used, it can't be used again for 5 rounds.

If the limitation of using the ability only once every 5 rounds is in place, then it doesn't seem necessary to state that you can only use the ability once per round.

Secondly, this same ability seems like it could a little out of hand. Sure, having 2-8 deathless pals around for upwards of 2 minutes (20 rounds) doesn't seem so bad. But what PC is going to stop there? I have a guess, and it's pretty close to zero. After 5 rounds, they go again. Then again. So that after a mere 15 rounds, our White Necromancer will be able to maintain a platoon of deathless ranging in a size anywhere from 8 to 32.

Now, I will admit that I don't have the deathless stats in front of me, and yes, combat encounters usually last less than 15 rounds. But my point still remains. If I'm off the mark, please just slap me down. :smallbiggrin:

SilentNight
2008-10-12, 10:31 PM
Interesting concept, I like it.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-12, 10:46 PM
The wording of the "Summon Dethless Legions" ability seems awkward.

If the limitation of using the ability only once every 5 rounds is in place, then it doesn't seem necessary to state that you can only use the ability once per round.

Secondly, this same ability seems like it could a little out of hand. Sure, having 2-8 deathless pals around for upwards of 2 minutes (20 rounds) doesn't seem so bad. But what PC is going to stop there? I have a guess, and it's pretty close to zero. After 5 rounds, they go again. Then again. So that after a mere 15 rounds, our White Necromancer will be able to maintain a platoon of deathless ranging in a size anywhere from 8 to 32.

Now, I will admit that I don't have the deathless stats in front of me, and yes, combat encounters usually last less than 15 rounds. But my point still remains. If I'm off the mark, please just slap me down. :smallbiggrin:

An undying soldier is only a CR of 2, that means a platoon of 32 of them is only a CR of about 7.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-12, 11:21 PM
Actually, now I altered it. You can only control 24 of these soldiers at any one time.

Fizban
2008-10-13, 05:18 AM
On the one hand: sweet, an actual good necromancer for once! On the other hand: boo, no support for arcanists. But, since one of the big homebrewers has suggested a direct translation foe deathless zombies and skeletons, I suppose I could just imagine a feat or separately researched version.

Nice job as always. I'm pretty sure there are a couple slight differences between the base undead and deathless types, it'd be convenient to list them in the entry, so that one doesn't need two MMs to figure out their minions.