PDA

View Full Version : Paladin's Code of Conduct horror stories

Akisa
2008-10-12, 09:43 PM
I remember seeing various people with horror stories of how their DM set up gotcha scenario or their reason for falling was unjustified. However I can't find these (google dam you failed me), so other then the paladin deciding between killing the newborn or allow a demon to come into the world what horror stores do you guys have?

Lycan 01
2008-10-12, 09:49 PM
Yeah. Scroll down the page. We have a thread going with lots of good stories in it. I think you'll enjoy mine - especially where Nyaralthotep backhanded a dude's face off just for being there. :smallamused:

Btw, I'd have dropped the newborn. *shrug* But thats just me...

Wait, we're talking about Chaosium's CoC, right? :smallconfused:

Akisa
2008-10-12, 09:52 PM
I meant Paladin's Code of Conduct actually...

Lycan 01
2008-10-12, 09:53 PM
Oh.

Ooooooohhhhh.....

Yeah, I feel dumb. >.<

Ponce
2008-10-13, 12:11 AM
I've had to explain the whole "paladins are not catholic priests with greatswords" thing many times.

averagejoe
2008-10-13, 12:15 AM
None. Then again, I generally play with reasonable people.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-13, 12:18 AM
Man, I'm glad the OP clarified the thread name. I honestly couldn't decide whether a Paladin in a CoC game would be the best thing ever, or the worst thing ever :smalltongue:

TheOOB
2008-10-13, 12:33 AM
Man, I'm glad the OP clarified the thread name. I honestly couldn't decide whether a Paladin in a CoC game would be the best thing ever, or the worst thing ever :smalltongue:

Funny, last CoC game I played in went like this:

GM: Introduces the archeologist character we are helping
Player1: Kills archeologist
GM: ...World is saved.

A paladin might have changed things a little.

As for a paladins code of conduct, I rarely have problems because I talk to the player and DM when they pick a paladin about exactally what the code means. The two or three times we did have a lawful moron paladin I was also playing a good character (a CG ranger once and a LG monk another time I know for sure), and both times I managed to convince the paladin IC that there actions where not in fact good and that they had to repent for there sins.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-13, 12:40 AM
Funny, last CoC game I played in went like this:

GM: Introduces the archeologist character we are helping
Player1: Kills archeologist
GM: ...World is saved.

A paladin might have changed things a little.

See, things like this make me worry about metagaming in CoC. I mean, you know that anything you see or hear is probably going to make you go insane, and that anyone who is at all curious is likely to go insane / unleash insanity upon the world.

Fortunately, after listening to Lycan 01, I am confident that any attempt at metagaming CoC is only likely to cause you more harm. Killing the archeologist shouldn't have saved the world - his death should have triggered a clause in his Will that gave the keys to his lockbox to his sister. In it he had a choice diary that he had been trying to keep from cultist's hands and in case he died he wanted to make sure it went into safe hands. Too bad his sister is a freshman at Miskatonic U... :smallamused:

TheOOB
2008-10-13, 12:53 AM
See, things like this make me worry about metagaming in CoC. I mean, you know that anything you see or hear is probably going to make you go insane, and that anyone who is at all curious is likely to go insane / unleash insanity upon the world.

Fortunately, after listening to Lycan 01, I am confident that any attempt at metagaming CoC is only likely to cause you more harm. Killing the archeologist shouldn't have saved the world - his death should have triggered a clause in his Will that gave the keys to his lockbox to his sister. In it he had a choice diary that he had been trying to keep from cultist's hands and in case he died he wanted to make sure it went into safe hands. Too bad his sister is a freshman at Miskatonic U... :smallamused:

Actually, the real trick is that the archeologist is the only one who knows how to seal the evil away and that it's already running rampant somewhere.

To be fair, we did get a challenge to see how quickly we could meta-cheese our way out of it. If the players and Gm where more serious things would have gone more out of hand, in a crazy love-craftian sort of way.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-13, 01:12 AM
Well, when I DM, I explain to players who wish to play paladins that they need to hammer out the finer points of their codes of conduct with me beforehand. Nonetheless, I've gotten into some rather heated discussions with people over paladins in the past, not even in a game, because their expectation of the paladin was that it was required to be Lawful Stupid.

JaxGaret
2008-10-13, 01:56 AM
their expectation of the paladin was that it was required to be Lawful Stupid.

Wait, that's not a requirement? :smallwink:

Vva70
2008-10-13, 03:51 AM
Wait, that's not a requirement? :smallwink:

It's a class feature. :smallsmile:

Satyr
2008-10-13, 04:06 AM
In our games, we use a heavy modified Paladin class (it is probably one of the most powerful base classes in the game) and also stay carefully away from the Alignment Rules, which are generally disdained in the group - our Paladins are more like wandering peacebringers, judges and more focused on honor than on being good, which normally works great. This eliminates most of the more common 'Paladin problems'. I don't consider moral dilemmas to be problems - done right, they are a climax of drama and suspense and takes the Palading who is caught between his honor and duty and his emotions and desires deep into tragic hero territory.

Jayngfet
2008-10-13, 04:19 AM
It's a class feature. :smallsmile:

Like the stick?

only1doug
2008-10-13, 04:45 AM
I've played a Lawful Loud Paladin, He always vocalised at top volume.
Hugely entertaining for the entire group, but my throat did start to get a bit sore.

It was a treasure quests campaign and the gear we had was sickening, 36AC at L6. Monsters couldn't hit him (and he couldn't hit them).
we gave up on the campaign as a bit overpowered.

I'd like to play the character again though.

Thane of Fife
2008-10-13, 06:36 AM
It stikes me as horribly ironic that there are more paladin horror stories in the "Why should you play a paladin?" thread than in the "Paladin Horror Stories" thread.

Artanis
2008-10-13, 11:47 AM
Well, that thread's been around longer. Give it time :smallwink:

Zeta Kai
2008-10-13, 11:55 AM
Well, I count 17 replies (18, counting this one), & not a single on-topic reply. Can we go for a record? :smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2008-10-13, 12:03 PM
Yes?

I mean, we could try, at least.

Person_Man
2008-10-13, 12:14 PM
Well, I count 17 replies (18, counting this one), & not a single on-topic reply. Can we go for a record? :smallbiggrin:

I like candy.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-13, 12:27 PM
I like candy.

well, I like cheese.

Talanic
2008-10-13, 12:36 PM
I always wanted to start a Paladin of Tyr...focusing on Tyr's crippled side. Basically, trying to reform the order, with a focus on mercy. Take prisoners when possible, apply a Mark of Justice, give people second chances...

I usually wind up the DM though, so no chance for it yet.

Zanatos777
2008-10-13, 04:13 PM
Well one paladin in my gam...nah. I think the record sounds like a better idea.

Blackfang108
2008-10-13, 04:21 PM
Out of curiosity, what IS the record?

Jalor
2008-10-13, 05:19 PM
Miko Miyazaki. End of story.

(by the way, C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!)

horseboy
2008-10-13, 05:24 PM
Oh, it's pretty big, I'm sure. Didn't that D&D Moe thread go on for a couple of pages?

ColonelFuster
2008-10-13, 06:47 PM
Someone in the party stole something quest-important.
The town guard came to arrest him later.
The DM snickered and asked the paladin to testify. The problem...? It was a NG government. The paladin HAD to testify, due to his CoC.

Moff Chumley
2008-10-13, 07:15 PM
Goddamit, Fuster.

AceOfFools
2008-10-14, 12:01 AM
Related, but not a trick. The final session of a two year campaign I ran went something like this:

"You know the last member of that Vampire High Council you want to kill?"
"The devil-summoning one, right?"
"Yep. He's cut a deal with the King. He's going to take you into hell to kill the devils who were supposed to protect him from you. Then he's going to try and kill you."
"What the hell?"
"Yeah, turns out it's not pleasant to be in a devil's debt. And he can't do it without you, and since your dead set on killing him, why not take out the mutual enemy first. He's hoping the fight will weaken you enough for him to win, but the King's betting your stronger than he thinks."

The paladin was pissed about that. Something about not wanting to trust the guy, but he agreed to have a Mark of Justice put on him not to attack before the devil's were dead.

They successfully spellcrafted when he tried to cast break enchantment as one of his "buffs" before opening the portal. Zapped with a greater turning before he could act.

They then opened the portal, went down into hell and killed the devil anyway.
Had the Vamp been with them, he could have warned them when they were about to step into the parlor, and so they probably wouldn't have lost two of their number.

Ah, that was such an awesome encounter:
Cleric: "Bolt of Glory! Behold the Power of Pelor!"
Severely injured Pit Fiend: "Meteor swarm"
Cleric: "Ha, 12 hp left1"
Pit Fiend: "Quickened Fireball. Behold the power of ME!"