PDA

View Full Version : Any modelers here know how to make/convert miniature pitchforks?

newbDM
2008-10-13, 03:44 AM
I am kinda stuck with some planning for my campaign at the moment.

I just got two of the following miniatures in the mail for test runs for some demon poultry I made up.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/4ae2_1.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140151442192

Concept image I drew:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/sc001d60cf.jpg

The problem is, I have no idea how to make/convert these little pitchforks, or how to attach them to these tiny metal miniatures.

Are there any modelers here who might have some ideas?

Swordguy
2008-10-13, 03:51 AM
Paper Clips.

Take a spear, or something similar from another mini (assuming you have a bitz box). Cut a length of paper clip, and bend it into a U with a FLAT bottom using a pair of needlenose pliers to make the outer tines of the pitchfork. Crimp the middle, horizontal portion just a little bit so it fits around half the diameter of the spear Glue this crimped portion to the spear.

You're technically done. If you have a pin vise, and more spear heads, you can drill out the bottoms of the spearheads and put them on the end of the outer tines so you have the effect of the trio of spearheads.

If you don't have a bitz box, you can probably fake the spear by using either a q-tip with the ends cut off, or a length of straightened paper clip.

Make sense?

Ashtar
2008-10-13, 03:55 AM
I'd say cocktail sticks and a piece of garden wire for the top. You could add the spike at the bottom with either some greenstuff or a fine layer of liquid latex then painted.

If the piece is larger you might find some miniature cocktail forks that could be ideal.

Or even Lego pitchforks ?

TheThan
2008-10-13, 12:43 PM
We usually use copper wire for spears. Just make sure its durable enough to resist bending (somewhat a problem with some of the warmachine/hordes minis we buy).

The paperclip idea is a good one too, but its kinda hard to work with.

Sinfire Titan
2008-10-13, 01:08 PM
Google "Greenstuff". If anyone knows about the Warmachine spin-off (Hordes), I turned the Totem Hunter from it into a Predator look-alike by using Greenstuff to give him Dreadlocks. Not only does it help put the minis togethed, it makes a great way to customize them!

(Interesting little thing about Hordes: A friend of mine bought the Skorne starter pack. We couldn't get one of the swordsmen figs to hold onto his sword. I just so happened to have a Demon Prince fig from Warhammer Fantasy who couldn't hold onto the ax it came with. So I glued the ax to the Skorne figue and gave the Demon Prince the sword. We now have a Skorne fig that looks like he is holdingthe ax like a guitar.)

TheThan
2008-10-13, 01:12 PM
Google "Greenstuff". If anyone knows about the Warmachine spin-off (Hordes), I turned the Totem Hunter from it into a Predator look-alike by using Greenstuff to give him Dreadlocks. Not only does it help put the minis togethed, it makes a great way to customize them!

(Interesting little thing about Hordes: A friend of mine bought the Skorne starter pack. We couldn't get one of the swordsmen figs to hold onto his sword. I just so happened to have a Demon Prince fig from Warhammer Fantasy who couldn't hold onto the ax it came with. So I glued the ax to the Skorne figue and gave the Demon Prince the sword. We now have a Skorne fig that looks like he is holdingthe ax like a guitar.)

yeah, the totem hunter does look a lot like the predator. My bro did heavy metal swamp gobbers using a little green stuff for a mohawk and to turn his bellows into a guitar.

Sinfire Titan
2008-10-13, 01:21 PM
yeah, the totem hunter does look a lot like the predator. My bro did heavy metal swamp gobbers using a little green stuff for a mohawk and to turn his bellows into a guitar.

We've yet to use the Lead Guitarist, just because it is unpainted (though we've considered using the Greenstuff to turn him into a Guitar Hero rip-off).

Swordguy
2008-10-13, 01:22 PM
We usually use copper wire for spears. Just make sure its durable enough to resist bending (somewhat a problem with some of the warmachine/hordes minis we buy).

The paperclip idea is a good one too, but its kinda hard to work with.

Agreed on both counts.

I went with paperclips because they're more readily accessible, and the OP doesn't sound like he's a modeler, so he's more likely to have paperclips than copper tubing lying around.

Adlan
2008-10-13, 05:09 PM
Warhammer Zombie Sprue has some pitchforks on.

Not worth it just for that one bit you want, but you might know some warhammer player's, or there's some comapnies that will sell specific bits.

mabriss lethe
2008-10-13, 05:56 PM
If you want to get really exotic, look into ACS 650 and a blowtorch. Model your pitchfork out of the ACS and then hit it with the torch for several minutes. If you did it properly, you'll end up with a .999% pure silver pitchfork to play with.

newbDM
2008-10-13, 07:24 PM
If you want to get really exotic, look into ACS 650 and a blowtorch. Model your pitchfork out of the ACS and then hit it with the torch for several minutes. If you did it properly, you'll end up with a .999% pure silver pitchfork to play with.

I just finished researching that product on wikipedia. Pretty interesting stuff.

Any idea where I can purchase some of this locally?

However, won't pure silver be super expensive for this?

And I have never used a blowtorch before. I am intrigued to try it out, but it seems somewhat scary. Where could I even find one, and are they very expensive?

Beleriphon
2008-10-13, 07:38 PM
I just finished researching that product on wikipedia. Pretty interesting stuff.

Any idea where I can purchase some of this locally?

Most hobby stores have the stuff, if you had to the local gaming store they should be able to tell you.

However, won't pure silver be super expensive for this?

Probably.

And I have never used a blowtorch before. I am intrigued to try it out, but it seems somewhat scary. Where could I even find one, and are they very expensive?

Expensive, not terribly. Scary as all hell if you don't know what you're doing, yes.

You should be able to pick up a small butane torch at any big box building supply store in the bathroom or tools section. I don't personally recommend it though since its completely unnecessary.

If you want to do some light welding, or not, a soddering iron and some sodder is both cheaper and generally safer. Its also and easy want to make some fun, crude, looking bits for all kinds of models. Its fun to use with orcs.

mabriss lethe
2008-10-13, 08:57 PM
As I said, it's going exotic.

It would be expensive but not prohibitively so. you can find a 10gram pouch for less than 20.00 and that could supply you with a good number of pitchforks if you stretch it right. (it's some really fun stuff to play with, too.)

If you want to mass produce cheaply, I recommend going to somewhere like Michaels or AC Moore and picking up some casting resin. It's pretty cheap and will give you more than you'll probably ever need for hobby crafting. You'll need some sort of molding compound, two-part clay is nice, but depending on what else you might want to cast, you can use latex mold builder. (theoretically, you could do this to cast your own cheap minis.)

newbDM
2008-10-13, 10:01 PM
As I said, it's going exotic.

It would be expensive but not prohibitively so. you can find a 10gram pouch for less than 20.00 and that could supply you with a good number of pitchforks if you stretch it right. (it's some really fun stuff to play with, too.)

If you want to mass produce cheaply, I recommend going to somewhere like Michaels or AC Moore and picking up some casting resin. It's pretty cheap and will give you more than you'll probably ever need for hobby crafting. You'll need some sort of molding compound, two-part clay is nice, but depending on what else you might want to cast, you can use latex mold builder. (theoretically, you could do this to cast your own cheap minis.)

For years I have occasionally thought of doing molds and such things. Do you know any online guides or tutorials on how to do this?

mabriss lethe
2008-10-13, 10:56 PM
There's a book I'd recommend. It details the basics for a good number of assemblage art techniques and has lots of websites in the index.

Altered Curiosities by Jane Ann Wynn.

It has a decent set of instructions for metal etching, resin casting, soldering, you name it. retails for about $20 and worth every freaking penny.

Simplest way I've heard to make molds involves some standard fimo/polymer clay to form a base. place your item/s on the base and then mix some two-part mold putty.place the putty over the object and poly base until you have a nice clean imprint. let the mold cure then release it from the object. (you may want to invest in a can of spray release to coat the object prior to putting it into the mold.

Mix and pour your resin into the mold and let it harden. Once it's solid, pop it out an trim the excess resin off with a hobby knife.

Shhhh!
2008-10-13, 10:57 PM
I always like being the dissenting opinion. I'm sure, Sure That I've seen somewhere little olive forks with three tines. You know, the little clear plastic deals? It might be a little oversized, but painting a few of them would be easier, and involve less learning, than the Blowtorch, or putty routes. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm running and hiding from any backdraft.

Swordguy
2008-10-13, 11:06 PM
I always like being the dissenting opinion. I'm sure, Sure That I've seen somewhere little olive forks with three tines. You know, the little clear plastic deals? It might be a little oversized, but painting a few of them would be easier, and involve less learning, than the Blowtorch, or putty routes. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm running and hiding from any backdraft.

Nah, you're absolutely right. It's far, FAR easier to do it this way. But what's the fun in taking a bit, spray painting it, and gluing it to the mini? There's no challenge there.