PDA

View Full Version : Improved Homunculus Potential

Djibriel
2008-10-13, 05:59 AM
Right, so there's this Artificer 5 with an Iron Defender. The Artificer has the Improved Homunculus Feat (Magic of Eberron), so the Defender gets goodies (at the moment, only a single HD was added).

I've got two questions. First: As a Construct, does he get extra Feats every third level? I'm guessing yes, but is there any way in which these Feats are restricted? Or could I give him, ohIdunno, Necropolis Born from Complete Arcane?

Second, this Construct has acces to all three mental stats (Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8). What's stopping this guy from taking class levels? Obviously this isn't what's supposed to be going on, but where in RAW does it state this? He's a sentient construct, capable of fighting and learning. Can't I forego a single HD increase for a class level or somesuch?

Lert, A.
2008-10-13, 11:08 AM
I've got two questions. First: As a Construct, does he get extra Feats every third level? I'm guessing yes, but is there any way in which these Feats are restricted? Or could I give him, ohIdunno, Necropolis Born from Complete Arcane?

If the construct qualifies for the feat, and your DM agrees, go wild.

Second, this Construct has acces to all three mental stats (Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8). What's stopping this guy from taking class levels? Obviously this isn't what's supposed to be going on, but where in RAW does it state this? He's a sentient construct, capable of fighting and learning. Can't I forego a single HD increase for a class level or somesuch?

Because it is advancing the construct's HD. Like advancing every other monster, you increase the HD (d10 for construct), skill points, feats. If you want class levels take the Leadership feat.

Djibriel
2008-10-13, 11:41 AM
Thanks.

I understand that by improved HD, it gains Construct HD and not class levels. But is there anything that flat-out stops me from advancing my Homunculus not as a tougher Construct but as a better Fighter? An NPC 'Monster' can get Class Levels (hence Sahuagin Clerics and whatnot) so why can't an intelligent construct built to fight?

I get it'd be a bad thing mechanics-wise (since, for instance, Fighter levels outshine Construct levels in every single way), but I'm still looking for a Stop sign 'cause I haven't found it.

Lert, A.
2008-10-13, 12:11 PM
Essentially, what you want is a second PC. Which falls more under the cohort rules and goes against all the rules of advancement.

I realize that it would be interesting, but then you are stuck with Paladin mounts taking levels of wizard (and hey, it says that it gets a d8 and skill points as advancing a monster's HD, so score!). Or maybe a druid's animal companion taking levels in bard.

The advancement rules are written as such - increase a HD and gain all saves, skills, etc. as a creature of that type - to avoid silly situations as these.

EDIT: giving class levels to monsters is the prerogative of the DM. He does it to make more interesting encounters. If he likes the idea, it's up to him, but he should be prepared for his campaign to unravel.

Blackfang108
2008-10-13, 12:13 PM
Or maybe a druid's animal companion taking levels in bard.

That would be AWESOME!

Lert, A.
2008-10-13, 12:15 PM
That would be AWESOME!

Oh, look what I have done.

Player groups around the world begin to defeat challenges twice their level due to a new house rule.:smallcool:

Djibriel
2008-10-13, 12:18 PM
There's a difference here; animal companions, familiars and paladin mounts have a special kind of advancement which is specified in the PHB. The homunculus gets nothing but normal HD increase, for which I pay 1000 GP per HD no less. Disregarding the Feat obviously.

Just playing devil's advocate here, btw, hope that's clear. As a DM I'd never allow it, but I fail to see what stops the player so far.

Lert, A.
2008-10-13, 12:32 PM
As a DM I'd never allow it, but I fail to see what stops the player so far.

You are the DM.

They are... not the DM.

DM trumps "but the rules don't specifically say I can't!"