PDA

View Full Version : ECL on an Awakened Dire Wolf

Blackfang108
2008-10-13, 09:28 AM
Hi All,

I've decided I wanted to try something new in one of my campaigns.

So I've decided to see what the ECL of an Awakened Dire Wolf would be.

And then I have to decide what class I want to be.

I figure the LA is at least +1.

Please use the basic DW stats for now if you are offering Class advice.

Thank you,

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-13, 09:44 AM
A Dire Wolf has 6 HD. Awaken adds 2. So you're looking at ECL 8 minimum, maybe higher if your DM adds a LA, too. I'd go Dire Wolf 8/Barb 1/Fighter 1/Warblade X. Take Improved Trip, Extra Rage, and a Necklace of Natural Weapons, and focus on hitting an enemy with a Bite+Maneuver for high damage, free trip at +8 before mods, then hitting them with a free attack when you succeed, they stand, and you get an AoO.

Blackfang108
2008-10-13, 09:51 AM
That's um..

that's...

*cough*

Excuse me.

That's BEAUTIFUL!

and in the case for this, X = 12.

nice...

Chronos
2008-10-13, 11:32 AM
No LA is given for awakened animals. The animal HD (about the worst racial HD type in the game) is usually considered more than enough penalty by itself.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-13, 02:31 PM
Why not skip Dire Wolf and just play a Worg? They don't need to be awakened, and they HAVE a listed LA.

Blackfang108
2008-10-13, 04:30 PM
Why not skip Dire Wolf and just play a Worg? They don't need to be awakened, and they HAVE a listed LA.

For one really good (story-wise) reason.

In this campaign, we are all playing ourselves.

Everyone in my group of friends identifies with a specific totem animal. For me, it's (surprise, surprise) the Wolf.

It is generally accepted amongst the others that I would be a Dire Wolf if I could be any animal in RPGs. Although, maybe I'll try for Winter Wolf...

This character would be a backup for if the main me dies, and I'd have him spring from my chest/blood after I drop, (sans memories.) It's more for the cool factor than anything else.

and with the pathetic amount of wealth in this campaign, I don't really need to carry around money.

I will probably try to get a mouthpick weapon (Lords of Madness). just for the funny.