PDA

View Full Version : The Fossor (Fighting the Undead Without Divine Help)

Xallace
2008-10-13, 09:32 AM
The fossor, or Gravedigger, is a simple man who makes his living by granting the dead a safe, final resting place. Unfortunately, that "safe" place often comes under attack from necromancers, restless spirits, and hordes of undead beasties. So, the fossor is called to action; driven by the need to fulfill his promise of peaceful death, the fossor learns how to drive off those who would disturb the natural order using only his wits, skill, and the tiniest bit of luck.

Prerequisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Profession (Gravedigger) 8 ranks
Special: Must have fought and defeated an undead creature of own CR or greater in single combat.

Hit Die: d10
{table=head]Level| BAB| Fort| Ref| Will| Special
1| +0| +2| +0| +2| Grave Combat (Shovel), Gut Feeling
2| +1| +3| +0| +3| Master Fear
3| +2| +3| +1| +3| Head Shot, Grave Combat (Grave Stone)
4| +3| +4| +1| +4| One Foot in the Grave
5| +3| +4| +1| +4| Grave Combat (Grave Digger)
6| +4| +5| +2| +5| Wide Impact
7| +5| +5| +2| +5| Grave Combat (Light Source)
8| +6| +6| +2| +6| Earthly Toughness
9| +6| +6| +3| +6| And Stay Dead!, Grave Combat (R.I.P.)
10| +7| +7| +3| +7| Guardian of the Graves[/table]
Skills (4 + Int Modifier per level): Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (Local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spot (Wis).

Grave Combat (Ex): Often times, the only thing a fossor has on hand to defend himself is a shovel. So, the fossor makes due: The fossor is always considered proficient in the use of a shovel, and as such never takes the non-proficiency penalty.
At 3rd level, the fossor learns to make better use of the environment that he usually inhabits. A fossor may rip a small or medium-sized headstone from the ground as a move action. The gravestone is considered a simple weapon for the fossor, and he is always proficient in its use. A headstone is no easier for any other character to remove, even after the fossor returns it to its proper place.
At 5th level, the fossor becomes a master of his unique style. He may use his bonus on Profession (Gravedigger) checks in place of his normal bonus on attack rolls, but only while using fossor-specific weapons.
At 7th level, the fossor learns to effectively incorporate torches, lanterns, and sunrods into his fights. He may wield any of these items as simple weapons. In addition, by applying one ounce of oil to a torch or lantern as a move action, the fossor can cause the light to glow as bright as the sun. This does not increase the radius of the light, but causes creatures with daylight powerlessness to be affected as though they were in natural sunlight. This effect lasts for 1 minute.
At 9th level, a fossor’s ability gains unparalleled skill when fighting undead. When the fossor successfully strikes an undead creature, he may make a Profession (Gravedigger) check in place of a damage roll. The undead creature makes a Fortitude save; the DC is equal to the result of the fossor’s check. If the save fails, the creature is reduced to 0 hit points and destroyed.

Gut Feeling (Ex): Years of working in a graveyard has attuned the fossor to minute changes in atmosphere that signify the presence of something less than natural. A fossor instantly knows when undead creatures, a creature that can cast necromancy spells or spell-like abilities, or a creature that can cause a necromancy effect, are within 100 feet of his location. He cannot determine their exact location.
If the fossor can actually see the creature(s), and it isn’t already obvious what they are (it’s sometimes hard to miss a zombie), he can make a Will Save (DC20) to determine the nature of the creature. He cannot glean the exact abilities or type of the creature; a successful save confirms the fossor’s gut feeling that “This guy ain’t right.”

Master Fear (Ex): A fossor must face fears that the average person would never even consider, and he must do it without divine help. Ergo, the fossor learns to confront and defeat the source of his fear.
When the fossor becomes Shaken, he takes the normal penalties for the effect. The fossor also gains a +4 morale bonus on weapon damage rolls, a +4 morale bonus to Armor Class, and rises in the initiative order as though his initiative roll had been 4 points higher. These effects last for as long as the fossor is Shaken.
When a fossor becomes Frightened, he is never forced to flee from the source of the effect, but may do so willingly. The fossor gains a +10-foot bonus to all of his speeds. In addition, the fossor gains the same morale bonuses as when he is Shaken. These effects last for as long as the fossor is Frightened.
A Panicked fossor never has to drop what he is holding and never has to flee from the source of the effect, although he may do either willingly. A Panicked fossor gains a +8 morale bonus on weapon damage rolls, a +8 morale bonus to his Armor Class, and rises in the initiative order as though his initiative roll had been 8 points higher. These effects last for as long as the fossor is Panicked.

Head Shot (Ex): As of 3rd level, the fossor’s combat techniques for (re-)slaying undead improve. Undead are affected by the fossor’s critical hits normally. Critical hits by the fossor against undead are instantly considered confirmed.
A fossor with the ability to deal precision damage (Sneak Attack, Sudden Strike, or Skirmish) can affect undead with that ability.

One Foot in the Grave (Ex): As of 4th level, the fossor gains a +4 bonus on saves against Death effects.

Wide Impact (Ex): As of 6th level, a fossor can use the wide surface area of his weapons to his advantage. The critical threat range of any bludgeoning weapon the fossor wields increases by 2. This bonus is applied after keen or other effects that increase threat range.

Earthly Toughness (Ex): As of 8th level, the fossor becomes more adept at shaking off common effects associated with the creatures he fights. While under the effects of a negative level, the fossor may make a save at the beginning of his turn every round to remove the effect. In addition, the fossor becomes immune to ability drain; any effect that would inflict ability drain inflicts ability damage instead. Finally, the fossor heals 1 point of ability damage per hour, instead of per day.

And Stay Dead! (Ex): As of 9th level, critical hits made by the fossor against undead creatures have a x4 multiplier.

Guardian of the Graves (Ex): At 10th level, the fossor becomes the undisputed guardian of those who wish to rest in peace. The fossor becomes immune to all Death effects, gains Damage Reduction 5/- against undead creatures, and gains Resistance 20 to negative energy damage.
No dead body within 100 feet of the Fossor may be animated as an undead creature, including the fossor. This ability continues on even after the fossor’s death, and emanates from his body’s resting place.

Fossor Weapons
One Handed Melee Weapons
{table=head]Weapon Name| Damage| Critical| Type| Weight
Headstone, Small| 1d10| 20/x2| Bludgeoning| 12 lbs
Lantern (Any)| 1d6 +1d4| 20/x3| Bludgeoning (plus Fire)|2-3 lbs
Torch| 1d4| 20/x2| Fire| 1lb.[/table]

Two-Handed Melee Weapons
{table=head]Weapon Name| Damage| Critical| Type| Weight
Shovel| 1d10| 20/x3| Bludgeoning or Slashing| 6lbs
Headstone, Medium| 2d8| 20/x2| Bludgeoning| 20 lbs[/table]
The damage and weight on the table is for weapons designed for medium creatures. A small creature may wield a lantern, torch, or small headstone without any reduction in damage; however, a small headstone is considered a two-handed weapon for a small creature, and small creatures may not wield medium-sized headstones.
A large-sized fossor (or a medium fossor with the Powerful Build trait) may wield large-sized headstones, although such headstones are rare. Large headstones are two-handed weapons that deals 3d8 points of bludgeoning damage.

Small headstones have a hardness of 8 and 45 hit points. Medium headstones have a hardness of 8 and 75 hit points.
If a fossor has Monk levels, the shovel and torch count as special monk weapons.

Owrtho
2008-10-13, 10:08 AM
Lol, really like this class. Just curious, but could an undead take levels in this. Seems like it could be somewhat entertaining to use your *own* gravestone as a weapon. Also, could larger races use larger gravestones?

Owrtho

Merlon
2008-10-13, 10:29 AM
Just a silly remark.. but if the fossor would get his hands on +(x) distrupting shovel(spade, headstone) .... would the distrupting bonus stack with grave combat (R.I.P ability)?

Otherwise .... i gladly see that class in Ravenloft :smallcool:

BRC
2008-10-13, 10:32 AM
I would call a Shovel a 2 handed 1d10 weapon, but otherwise this is great.

Xallace
2008-10-13, 10:45 AM
Lol, really like this class. Just curious, but could an undead take levels in this. Seems like it could be somewhat entertaining to use your *own* gravestone as a weapon. Also, could larger races use larger gravestones?

Owrtho

Heh, glad you enjoy it so much. I was itching to get it finished and posted myself. To answer your questions, yes, an undead character could take the class, provided that they meet the other prerequisites; And yes, larger races could use larger gravestones. I forgot to mention that this class is currently assuming your character to be of medium size. I'll have to add that in.

Just a silly remark.. but if the fossor would get his hands on +(x) distrupting shovel(spade, headstone) .... would the distrupting bonus stack with grave combat (R.I.P ability)?

Otherwise .... i gladly see that class in Ravenloft

Um... I think they'd both activate, but the fossor's would activate first, followed by the Disruption effect.

I would call a Shovel a 2 handed 1d10 weapon, but otherwise this is great.

Last time I used a shovel in a DnD game it was considered a greatclub... so I suppose you have a good point there. And thanks!

Vrel
2008-10-13, 10:53 AM
I may be mistaken, but aren't undead immune to criticals?

Tingel
2008-10-13, 11:08 AM
I may be mistaken, but aren't undead immune to criticals?

Of course. That's the whole point of Head Shot.

Merlon
2008-10-13, 12:44 PM
Let's start thinking. Non-casting class. No SLA. Lets try to keep it that way...

Would it go out of flavour, if you add some skill or feat what would keep the corpses that fossor has buried from reanimating? Or at least would make it more difficult. Say.. "Cutting the tendonds" ?I know that it sound evil and defiling.. but i just couldn't make up any other name :smallfrown:

MeklorIlavator
2008-10-13, 01:45 PM
Would a rogue with the headshot ability be able to sneak attack undead?

Would it go out of flavour, if you add some skill or feat what would keep the corpses that fossor has buried from reanimating? Or at least would make it more difficult. Say.. "Cutting the tendonds" ?I know that it sound evil and defiling.. but i just couldn't make up any other name :smallfrown:
I think the bodies of undead automatically turn to dust when defeated. If not, you could always do something like this:
Burn the Bodies:
A Gravedigger of level x can spend ten minutes and some oil to destroy corpses. This requires one ounce of oil per body for medium creatures. Double this value for every size category over medium and halve it for every one under medium. Corpses treated by this cannot be raised as undead. Unfortunately, the process also makes it more difficult to resurrect the person, and requires a true resurrection spell.

Xallace
2008-10-13, 02:12 PM
Would it go out of flavour, if you add some skill or feat what would keep the corpses that fossor has buried from reanimating? Or at least would make it more difficult.

I think the bodies of undead automatically turn to dust when defeated. If not, you could always do something like this:

The rules really aren't clear on what happens when an undead creature is "destroyed," but I believe there is a rule somewhere that says you can't animate the same creature twice. Could be mistaken, though.

And as for the first part, that can simply be part of the Guardian of the Graves ability; high level, sure, but it's the closest thing to supernatural that this class gets, and that sounds like it would fall under there.

Would a rogue with the headshot ability be able to sneak attack undead?

I always assumed the ability to critical something meant you could sneak attack it as well, but I suppose it could do to be specifically clarified.

UltraDude
2008-10-13, 03:25 PM
Let's start thinking. Non-casting class. No SLA. Lets try to keep it that way...

Maybe have the name something to do with embalming the undead?

Merlon
2008-10-14, 02:10 AM
Nah.

I meant to make the newly-buried corpse hard to animate. BEFORE his first and official burial.

Like some sad and grieving couple comes to fossors and says "Our mother-in-law just died. Our religion states that the dead must be buried. Can you make sure that she wouldn't be disturbed by some necromancer?"

UltraDude
2008-10-15, 11:13 AM
Nah.

I meant to make the newly-buried corpse hard to animate. BEFORE his first and official burial.

Like some sad and grieving couple comes to fossors and says "Our mother-in-law just died. Our religion states that the dead must be buried. Can you make sure that she wouldn't be disturbed by some necromancer?"

Embalming the freshly dead then?

Lappy9000
2008-10-15, 12:23 PM
The rules really aren't clear on what happens when an undead creature is "destroyed," but I believe there is a rule somewhere that says you can't animate the same creature twice. Could be mistaken, though.

It that isn't already true, then it seriously needs to be Rule Zero'd in.

This...is an amazing prestige class (and I normally hate prestige classes, but his one is just too awesome). This is what Dampé should have been in Legend of Zelda. Instead, he looks like this:

http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images/7/7f/Dampe.PNG

Xallace
2008-10-15, 01:43 PM
It that isn't already true, then it seriously needs to be Rule Zero'd in.

That's how I do it, but I don't know what the official ruling is.

This...is an amazing prestige class (and I normally hate prestige classes, but his one is just too awesome).

I'm absolutely flattered. I'm going to have to try really really hard to top the success is this class has enjoyed.

This is what Dampé should have been in Legend of Zelda. Instead, he looks like this:

http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images/7/7f/Dampe.PNG

Well, I'd still hate to see him come at with a shovel. The terror might not be on a primal level, but hey.