Illusion
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S, F
Casting time: One standard action
Range: 100 ft
Target: Self
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: n/a

Sometimes you want to have a lengthy discussion in the heat of battle or other high pressure moments. Yes speaking is a free action, but a particularly wordy or verbose person might stretch plausibility.

This illusion spell allows you to say a lot in a very short amount of time. It will seem as if you gave a well paced and lengthy speech to those within hearing range, but only a second of time will have actually passed.

The DM should time the player and allow them a minute for a monologue. Stopping to let another speak breaks the spell. This spell cannot be used to say the verbal component of any magical spell or the trigger of a magic item. Spells that provide a diplomacy bonus still affect anything said within the illusion though.

ericgrau
2008-10-13, 02:41 PM
But then why is the casting time a standard action?

Lysander
2008-10-13, 02:47 PM
It's still a spell, so it isn't a free action to cast. Would it make sense to allow it to be cast as a swift action?

AstralFire
2008-10-13, 03:28 PM
I don't think I'd ever use it otherwise. And with as long as D&D turns take, I never really saw a need to limit in-party communication.

DracoDei
2008-10-13, 03:58 PM
6 seconds vs 60 seconds is a noticeable difference... besides this isn't for party tactics, this is for monologuing... which reminds me... create a "Greater" version of this at level 1 that allows up to say... 5 minutes worth of talking, and put it in as Cleric 1, PALADIN 1, maybe bard 1, and say... Sor/Wiz 2. Because "Turn from your evil ways or I shall Smite you so hard you will be feeling it in your afterlife for decades to come." Is a theme that many a holy warrior can be quite verbose on...

Zuki
2008-10-13, 04:53 PM
*chuckles*

I think spending a Standard action on a spell to speak a whole lot more as a Free Action is hilarious, especially as I suspect that a cranky DM would probably ask a player to give up their Move or Standard action to spend that much time monologuing or being dramatic or what-have-you.

Sneaky spell, Lysander.

Let it be known that I approve of DracoDei's suggested improved version of the spell as well.

*yet more amused grinning*

Zeta Kai
2008-10-13, 05:57 PM
It's still a spell, so it isn't a free action to cast. Would it make sense to allow it to be cast as a swift action?

Feather Fall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/featherFall.htm) is an immediate action.

Lysander
2008-10-13, 06:09 PM
Here's that greater version:

Long-Winded Speaking Is A Free Action
Illusion
Level: Sor/Wiz 2, Paladin 1, Bard 1
Saving Throw: Will negates

As But Speaking Is A Free Action but the perceived time is up to one minute per caster level.

If an affected individual gets bored they can attempt a will save to skip to the end of your speech, but they'll miss anything you say within the illusion after they escape.

Here's an all bard version:

Performing Isn't A Free Action, But Now It Is
Illusion
Level: Bard 2
Saving Throw: Will negates

As But Speaking Is A Free Action, but in addition to speaking the spell can also be used to sing, play an instrument, juggle, dance, or any other use of the perform skill. Performances within the illusion are aided by any magical enhancements cast on you, but cannot be used to cast a spell or cause any magical effect.

Perceived duration is one minute normally, however the approval of an audience can extend the length of the spell. When playing a crowd of at least ten willing people you earn a one minute encore for each 5 points you roll on your perform check above ten (one extra minute at 15, two at 20, etc.)

AstralFire
2008-10-13, 06:14 PM
+3 points for the Will Save. ha.

I still think they'd be better as swifts, though.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-13, 06:27 PM
I noticed the spell requires a focus. What's the focus, then?

Otherwise, very amusing. Perhaps I can swap out one of my BBEG's lower-level spells for this one instead. :smallamused:

Lysander
2008-10-13, 06:31 PM
A focus. Hmm, might be funny if it was the audience? No casting it in the mirror.

Fiery Diamond
2008-10-14, 09:21 AM
This is funny, and utilitarian. I like it.

-Fiery DIamond