PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Item] Greatcoat of Size & Storage[PEACH]

Reaper_Monkey
2008-10-13, 04:09 PM
This is a custom made armour, however the carrying capacity feature is different from any normal one, and I've given individual costs for two magical effects "Size" and "Storage" (hence the title).

Rene's Greatcoat of Size & Storage
{table=head]Type|AC|Max Dex|Armour[br]Penalty|Spell[br]Failure|Speed|Weight
Light | +5 | +4 | -1 | 20% | Same | 50 lb
[/table]

Rene's Greatcoat is a +1 light armour and is made for a large humanoid creature, therefore only large humanoids that are proficient with light armour can wear it.

The greatcoat is made out of layered dark brown tough ox leather, reinforced with strips of thin steel which attach to several buckles that run the full shin length of the coat. It has a high collar and cuffs that can be turned up to protect the face and hands from cold and rain, and it comes with a large hood that easily covers the wearers head, providing extra protection.
The two outside pockets of this greatcoat are magically imbued, allowing any item the wearer places into them to shrink in size dramatically, effectively taking up no space at all until they are withdrawn again (however the item still weighs its full amount). Any item can be withdrawn from the pockets by the wearer reaching into it thinking of a specific item, and that item will always be picked. The greatcoats interior also counts as a third pocket opening for storing items, which function just as the outer two however without the option of leaving items at their full size, and with the limit that it can only store non-living matter.
Retrieving any shrunk item from the coat is a move action, but it does not provoke the attacks of opportunity that retrieving a stored item usually does, items can also be “drawn” from the sleeve of the coat, however this is a standard action unless the wearer has the quick draw feat. The weight of any item stored in the coat is added to the weight of the coat even when not worn.

In addition, as a free action the wearer of can activate another magical ability, enabling them to grow or shrink one size as per the spells Enlarge and Reduce person respectively. The wearer's strength, dexterity, attack rolls and AC are effected by this change as normal, as are all the items (including the coat) the wearing has on them. This ability has no limit to the number of times or duration it can be activated for.

Faint transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Enlarge Person, Reduce Person, Shrink; Price 9,000 gp; Cost 4,500gp + 360 XP

Under the rules and maths of:
Chain shirt cost: 100g (as its just refluffed from these mechanics)
Large armour cost: x2
Masterworked armour cost: 150g
+1 armour bonus: 1000g
Use-activated or continuous cost: Spell level1 × caster level × 2,000 gp
If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2
Reduce Person & Enlarge Person are both 1st level spells with 1 min/level durations.

Therefore
((base + MW) x size) + (level 1 spell) + (level 1 spell) + armour bonus
((100 + 150) x 2) + (((1 x 1 x 2000) + (1 x 1 x 2000)) x 2) + 1000 = 9500gp

By standard, however the shrink and grow options I think should be somewhat discounted as its own ability, as they are quite similar as it is. For the storage ability I've gone with the cost of 1,500gp, as it then places it under the cost of handy haversack and bag of holding as it doesn't offer any weight reduction, only storage and retrieval options. It should have at least 1000gp price however due to its ability to draw weapons from "nothing".

Therefore new Magic Armor Bonus:

Size - A suit of armour with this special ability allows its wearer to grow or shrink one size as per the spells Enlarge and Reduce person respectively, as a free action. The wearer's strength, dexterity, attack rolls and AC are effected by this change as normal, as are all the items (including the armour) the wearing has on them. This ability has no limit to the number of times or duration it can be activated for.
Faint Transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Enlarge Person, Reduce Person; Price 6,000 gp

Storage - The pockets and inner lining of armour with this special ability allow any item placed into them by the wearer to shrink in size dramatically at a thought when it is placed onto one, making them take up no space at all. The wearer can then summon up that item by reaching into the same pocket and thinking about any specific item in that pocket, which then appears in their hand, and regrows to normal size when withdrawn from the pocket. Retrieving items from normal pockets or the inside lining (if it is accessible), is a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, items can be withdrawn from the sleeves also, this takes a standard action unless the wearer has the quick draw feat.
This bonus does not allow storage of living matter in anything but standard pockets, and does not reduce the weight of stored items, the weight of all items stored is added to the armour, even if it isn't worn.
Faint Transmutation; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Shrink; Price 1,500 gp

AstralFire
2008-10-13, 04:27 PM
Most Wondrous Item pricing consists of "hey Bob, uh, how much do you think this should cost?" (This is not a bad thing, TBH - 3.x's item creation rules are a useful guideline, but can be broken or made worthless without too much issue.)

The glove of storing allows any one item to be drawn as a free action and costs 10k gp; I would adhoc down to 2k gp for a swift, probably.

Probably double or maybe triple price for any item being stored.

Reaper_Monkey
2008-10-13, 06:29 PM
This comment is all pretty much a lot neater in the new rewrite up top and can just be ignored now.

Most Wondrous Item pricing consists of "hey Bob, uh, how much do you think this should cost?" (This is not a bad thing, TBH - 3.x's item creation rules are a useful guideline, but can be broken or made worthless without too much issue.)

The glove of storing allows any one item to be drawn as a free action and costs 10k gp; I would adhoc down to 2k gp for a swift, probably.

Probably double or maybe triple price for any item being stored.

Yeah its once again back to the "its an art not a science" (despise my attempts of making it one, well unless your backwards engineering things, in which case it very much is a science!"

My main aim is to give it something along these lines...

The greatcoat also has extra ordinary pockets, it has two main pockets each of which appears large enough to hold about four cubic inches, as they are broad deep pockets fitted to the outside of the coat. These pockets are quite special however, as any item placed within them by the wearer of the coat can shrink in size dramatically at a thought by the user when it is placed into the pocket, allowing them to take up effectively no space, they do however still weigh the exact amount they did before. Items can be placed within these pockets normally without being shrunk if wished, which happens by default whenever anyone else places an item into these pockets. No shrunk item can be retrieved from these pockets unless the coat is worn, and only then by the wearer.
For large items that will not pass through the opening in the outside pockets, the greatcoat comes with another cunning storage space, the entire inside of the coat, when worn, is considered an opening to another pocket. This pocket functions just like the other two, accept the option to not shrink items is not present. There is only one limitation to the storage of the main pocket, and that is that nothing living can be placed inside in (this is a fail safe to stop you falling into your own coat). The inside of the coat appears to be normal under normal observations.

While such storage is useful enough, the greatcoat has an even greater power in addition. When the wearer reaches into it for a specific item, that item is always on top. Thus, no digging around and fumbling is ever necessary to find what a haversack contains. Retrieving any specific item from the coat is a move action, but it does not provoke the attacks of opportunity that retrieving a stored item usually does. Further, the wearer my draw weapons from the inside of their sleeves, this takes a standard action, unless the wearer has the quick draw feat (in which case it is a move action still) only items placed into the inside pocket can be drawn in this manner however as each pocket holds its own items separately. The combined weight of all items held in the pockets is added to the coat, even when it is not worn.

I'm thinking maybe 1,500gp? As it has the quick drawing features of the bag, and the ability to store lots, however there is no "free" weight, making it nowhere near as powerful as the average bag of holding/handy haversack for storage purposes. The ability to draw weapons from the sleeves is also akin to the normal +1 storage and folding weapon bonuses (which are the same, but from different sources), and as such as to be at least 1k.

Thoughts bob?

Fizban
2008-10-14, 03:46 AM
I only skimmed your post, but you might look up Najjar's Cloak of Weaponry, in the Player's Guide to Faerun. It doesn't hold as much as the haversack, but it lets you pull items weighing 25lbs or less out from under your cloak, with no visual explanation. Your cloak has hammerspace.

Darke
2008-10-15, 12:26 AM
I like this idea, looks awesome, I wish I had one.

by the way, what kind of item is that faerun coat? minor, moderate, major etc.?

Reaper_Monkey
2008-10-15, 03:35 PM
I'm not really sure anyone quite knew what I was asking about before, what with things being written way too late into the night (and therefore very blurby). I have since neatened things up and formalised two new abilities which can be assessed individually.

I hope this causes more feedback as I'd really like to know what other peoples thoughts are, and I do prefer to get a second opinion on items (more so ones I'm planning on using, like this one, instead of just theory crafting).

Thanks for any help playgrounders =)