PDA

View Full Version : So last night we started a 4th Ed. Campaign...

Kerouac
2008-10-14, 12:20 AM
This is my first post here, but I've been reading OOTS for awhile... I think the first strip I read was the one where Xykon appears on the Dracolich right next to Roy... so 400 something? :smallconfused:

Anywho, last night was out first 4th Ed. game. I'm playing with three of my old college roomates and my friend TJ's current roomate. Back when we were at uni we played 2nd Ed. and at one point had a group of 8 playing, but over the past few years as we've all started having families, GF's, kids, jobs, etc we've been playing in much smaller groups... usually two men and a DM. Back in August we talked about switching to 4th after playing 2nd for so long and we finally were able to get started last night.

Again, we have four players plus me as the DM. Dave is playing a Half-Elven Warlord, Jeremy is playing an Eladrin Wizard, TJ is playing a Dwarven Paladin, and Steve is playing a Human Ranger. We're playing in a fairly modded War of the Lance-era Dragonlance Setting. Last night we ran the Kobold Hall adventure from the back of the DM's Guide, but I substituted Goblins for the Kobolds and placed the Hall between Solace and Haven. Instead of the White Dragon in the lowest level of the Hall, I added a plot twist for the next adventure... a Ghost Dwarf who is being held captive by a group of Specters. By defeating the Specters they were able to speak to the Ghost and promise to lay his hammer to rest in the his Clan's (Tannheim) Hall and then he shattered the icy pool and revealed a path that would lead them out of the hall and onto the next adventure. This is going to be a modified version of the Goodman Game's "Forges of the Mountain King," which looked surprisingly brutal as I was reading though it the first time! :smalleek: After this quest we're going to get down to business and pickup right around the Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

I'll try to keep you guys up-to-date on what's going on in the campaign. I know a few other people have been looking for a way to work Dragonlance in 4th Ed., so I'll give you updates on anything good I figure out. :)

Colmarr
2008-10-14, 01:04 AM
That "plot twist" sounds awesome, and I would have loved to have been one of the players at that point.

There's just something about talking to an imprisoned ghost who then shatters ice to show me the way out. Very cool.

Kerouac
2008-10-14, 01:51 AM
That "plot twist" sounds awesome, and I would have loved to have been one of the players at that point.

There's just something about talking to an imprisoned ghost who then shatters ice to show me the way out. Very cool.

Thanks. Being as this is technically still before the "War" itself starts, there are no dragons and no clerics in the land and I had been wracking my brain to figure out what I was going to have them fight down there. When I picked up the "Forges of the Mountain King" adventure at my local game store I finally figured that would be a good way to tie it all together. We had an almost 10 hour session and between the extra encounters I added and the fact that it was a four person party against the standard encounter levels left them just short of leveling up so I gave it to them as extra role-playing XP.

I'll just be sure to crank up the challenges a bit more this week. :belkar: