PDA

View Full Version : Is this system/book real?

newbDM
2008-10-14, 12:47 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/bunniesandburrows.jpg

If so, I so want to run it...

I even know how to incorporate it. Next time one of the PCs shatters an epic item, or some other type of item or artifact this occurs, and they'll need to find a way back to their plane/multiverse!

Temp.
2008-10-14, 12:49 AM
Is this system/book real?A 2-second Google search tells me the answer is "yes."

Iku Rex
2008-10-14, 03:34 AM
You need this book as well of course:
http://www.amazon.com/Watership-Down-Richard-Adams/dp/0380002930 .

Satyr
2008-10-14, 03:44 AM
What it doesn't say: Bunnies and Burrows is a great game where you can rarely overpower your enemies or opponents -you have to outthink them, you have to be smart, careful and ressourceful. It is quite demanding, but it is also highly satisfying when you saved your burrow from enemies which are more powerful, have the better weaponry, are more numerous or are just mean than you will ever be, but you still manage to save the day.
It is more heroic to 'win' when you are weak than when you are extremely strong and nigh invincible.
And it has both magic and rabbit martial arts.

It is even better when you get rid of the cute little rabbits and play mean and cool rats instead.

bosssmiley
2008-10-14, 03:44 AM
Yes, it exists.
Yes, it is as cool as it looks.
IIRC GURPS did a version too...

"Watership Down" - survival horror, for kids. It's like "Platoon" with bunny rabbits. Let's put it like this; the manifestation of the spirit of death is a sweet release to the hero. :smalleek:

PS: Woundwart pwned the dog (you know it's true) :smallcool:

Tempest Fennac
2008-10-14, 04:15 AM
Which game was Bunnies and Barrows based off? I assumed it was an original idea.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-14, 05:02 AM
Which game was Bunnies and Barrows based off? I assumed it was an original idea.

It is. It was also the first system, ever, with detailed martial arts rules (called Bun Fu). It's surprisingly original, in more ways than one.

Fri
2008-10-14, 05:05 AM
This is so cool that I'm speechless. I REALLY want this book now.

And yeah, watership down is epic. With bunnies.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-14, 05:07 AM
"Watership Down" - survival horror, for kids. It's like "Platoon" with bunny rabbits. Let's put it like this; the manifestation of the spirit of death is a sweet release to the hero. :smalleek:

Isn't Watership Down as much for kids as Animal Farm?

Kurald Galain
2008-10-14, 05:17 AM
Isn't Watership Down as much for kids as Animal Farm?

Yes, which is to say that neither is actually for kids.

The movie for Watership Down scores pretty high on the list of "movies that people think are for kids (because they're animated, duh) but really aren't".

Comet
2008-10-14, 06:26 AM
Ah heck darnit, now I want to run a grimdark game involving bunnies fighting for their very survival in a bleak, uncaring world. Maybe I will.

Incidentally, has anyone here played Lugaru? It's an indie fighting game by Wolfire studios that puts you in the boots of Turner, an experienced rabbit-fighter whose family is killed by marauding wolves and their renegade bunny-allies.
I enjoy it like nothing else. Nothing beats stalking a superior opponent, bouncing on his head from afar and stabbing him to death with your stolen combat knife. And then having to face his weaker allies in an up-close-and-personal-kung-fu-fight.

Sorry about the advertising, this was just the first thing that came to my mind when I heard of a bunny themed RPG. Bunnyrilla warfare tactics & predator becoming prey ftw :smallbiggrin:

Jayabalard
2008-10-14, 07:16 AM
odd, I'm kind of suprised not to see a link: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/bunnies/

There's also a conversion guide from the old B&B game to GURPS from the late 80s, which is before the official GURPS B&B sourcebook existed: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/articles/BnB.to.GURPS.html

bosssmiley
2008-10-14, 07:18 AM
Yes, which is to say that neither is actually for kids.

The movie for Watership Down scores pretty high on the list of "movies that people think are for kids (because they're animated, duh) but really aren't".

It's at #2 (http://www.cracked.com/article_15070_10-best-animated-movies-traumatizing-kids.html), dethroned only by the unremitting horror of magic raccoon testicles. Magic. Raccoon. Testicles. :smalleek:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-14, 07:32 AM
It's at #2 (http://www.cracked.com/article_15070_10-best-animated-movies-traumatizing-kids.html), dethroned only by the unremitting horror of magic raccoon testicles. Magic. Raccoon. Testicles. :smalleek:

???

Tanuki figures have big balls. What's the problem? All mammals have genitals. Heck, the females even have, you know, mammaries.

hamishspence
2008-10-14, 07:44 AM
Actually, that wasn't the spirit of death. Starlight ears: Elil-Hrair-Rah, the Prince With A Thousand Enemies. I think the movie changed that one.

I like its portrayal of "death" The Black Rabbit.

Epinephrine
2008-10-14, 08:03 AM
???

Tanuki figures have big balls. What's the problem? All mammals have genitals. Heck, the females even have, you know, mammaries.

Yes, but seldom do they inflate their testicles to fly around, nor do they typically bludgeon construction workers with them. Even if it weren't disturbing to see a tanuki swinging his testicles around as a weapon, the sympathy pains every time they hit something would get me.

hewhosaysfish
2008-10-14, 08:52 AM
I feel obliged to point to this free PDF:
Tales from the wood (http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/tales-from-the-wood)

horseboy
2008-10-14, 10:26 AM
Of course, since it's GURPs, the temptation of adding vampirisim is so strong. Then you can suck the life from the vegetables and steal into the farmer's house and spirit away his V-8. Bunicula in Watership Down who doesn't love mixing genres?

Talya
2008-10-14, 10:30 AM
I'm highly disappointed that nobody has quoted a Monty Python movie yet.

Iku Rex
2008-10-14, 10:58 AM
Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5zYsqT5HGyI

hamishspence
2008-10-14, 11:04 AM
I can vaguely remember a kiddle book called Bunnicula. It was odd.

Magnor Criol
2008-10-14, 11:11 AM
???

The other issue is that kid's shows don't usually show them. Nature shows, yeah, but that degree of realism isn't usually sought after in children's shows with talking, walking animals.

Also, kids' shows don't usually show people being beaten up with said animal testicles.

I can vaguely remember a kiddle book called Bunnicula. It was odd.

Actually, it was a series of books. Not bad for the age level they were aimed for, I enjoyed them.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-14, 11:15 AM

Okay, okay. Welease Wodewick!

Talya
2008-10-14, 11:21 AM
Okay, okay. Welease Wodewick!

Admittedly, a much better movie than the more topic-appropriate one to which I'm referring.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-14, 11:25 AM
Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5zYsqT5HGyI

Anya rocks! It just might be bunnies...

monty
2008-10-14, 11:29 AM

Very well...

That's no ordinary rabbit. That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

hamishspence
2008-10-14, 11:30 AM
"Look at the bones !!"

sonofzeal
2008-10-14, 11:33 AM
Actually, it was a series of books. Not bad for the age level they were aimed for, I enjoyed them.
I read them too; I think "The Celery Stalks at Midnight", and "Howliday Inn" were the strongest of the series, although "Return to Howliday Inn" is the one I see around the most. There's also apparently a fifth book, "Nighty Nightmare", which I've never seen anywhere. Anyone have any info on it?

Morty
2008-10-14, 11:34 AM
"Look at the bones !!"

Oh, it's always the same, oh, it's just a harmless little bunny...

Epinephrine
2008-10-14, 11:37 AM
Very well...

That's no ordinary rabbit. That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!

Oh Monty Python, your wit eclipses your knowledge of taxonomy.

/pedant
Rabbits are lagomorphs, not rodents.

hamishspence
2008-10-14, 11:38 AM
I only read book one, never knew there were any others. About 15+ years ago.

EDIT: true dat. But they are the sister-taxon to rodents: closer related to them, than anything else.

Talya
2008-10-14, 11:39 AM

Any sensible DM bans the lagomorph subschool of magic.

monty
2008-10-14, 11:43 AM

Well of course; you saw how overpowered it is. It makes melee characters useless and you can only beat it with artifact-level magic.

Talya
2008-10-14, 11:46 AM
Well of course; you saw how overpowered it is. It makes melee characters useless and you can only beat it with artifact-level magic.

Or sacrosanct fulminating thrown projectiles.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-14, 11:54 AM

Is that the one that lets you pull rabbits out of a hat? I don't see how that can be considered overpowered.

hamishspence
2008-10-14, 11:56 AM
Or the lagomorph martial art. Whose crowning manuver is the rabbit punch.

Epinephrine
2008-10-14, 11:59 AM
Or the lagomorph martial art. Whose crowning manuver is the rabbit punch.

musn't forget the dreaded carrotty-chop.

Talya
2008-10-14, 12:13 PM
Is that the one that lets you pull rabbits out of a hat? I don't see how that can be considered overpowered.

Obviously you've never seen what Batman can do with an unlimited supply of Leporidae.

chiasaur11
2008-10-14, 12:24 PM
Anya rocks! It just might be bunnies...

Or maybe midgets.

Iku Rex
2008-10-14, 12:24 PM
Is that the one that lets you pull rabbits out of a hat? I don't see how that can be considered overpowered.It's not about the power. It's about the horror. One minute it's all smiles and "let's check out this magic book". The next thing you know it's "bara bara himble gemination" and then the screaming begins.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aTBd1Z4UAXU

DM Raven
2008-10-14, 12:36 PM
Hey did anyone ever see that old movie "Mazes and Monsters" starring Tom Hanks? Man, I thought that movie was going to be some cheezy D&D based fantasy movie...then Tom Hanks hit me with the sneak attack moral lesson against D&D...

Why Tom...WHYYYYYY?

Waspinator
2008-10-14, 01:41 PM
I don't think anyone pointed this out:
http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG30-6060
If you want the game, complete and legal, it's only $8 for the legit PDF. I've had that file for awhile and have been wanting to run a game. Not sure if I have the time right now, but just to gauge interest: would anyone want to do a play by post game of it at some point?

bosssmiley
2008-10-14, 03:22 PM

Heightened mixymatosis: problem solved. :smallwink:

hamishspence
2008-10-21, 01:37 PM
Has anyone ever use the Watership DOwn book for ideas for D&D? The False Utopia of Coowslip's Warren, the sneaky tricks of El'ahrairah, etc?

I like the phrasing of Frith's words to him, which could work for any trickster race:

"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first, they must catch you. Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."

Or The Black Rabbit's word on destiny "There is not a day goes by when a mother rabbit does not offer her life for her kits', or some brave captain of Owsla his life for his Chief Rabbit's. Sometimes it is taken, sometimes it is not. But there is no bargain. For what is, is what must be."

Cuddly
2008-10-21, 01:43 PM

It's based off a book.

horseboy
2008-10-22, 12:33 AM
Oh Monty Python, your wit eclipses your knowledge of taxonomy.

/pedant
Because this is the Internet, and we're all grade 26 bureaucrats;
"lagomorph" was fully accepted in the 1980's. That movie was made in 1974. Back then, rabbits were classified as rodents.

Knaight
2008-10-22, 08:01 AM
Incidentally, has anyone here played Lugaru? It's an indie fighting game by Wolfire studios that puts you in the boots of Turner, an experienced rabbit-fighter whose family is killed by marauding wolves and their renegade bunny-allies.
I enjoy it like nothing else. Nothing beats stalking a superior opponent, bouncing on his head from afar and stabbing him to death with your stolen combat knife. And then having to face his weaker allies in an up-close-and-personal-kung-fu-fight

Yes something does. Rushing a pair of wolves head on, kicking off a tree, then doing the death dive from above, ending with a ground stab, followed by throwing two knives in quick succession, the second of which catches the second wolf, who you leg cannon while he is staggering. This assumes that he dodges, and doesn't catch the first knife.

Yes I've played the game. Its awesome.

More on topic, they did make B&B for fudge, and its free.

Waspinator
2008-10-22, 01:56 PM
It's based off a book.

To be more accurate, Bunnies and Burrows is basically a based off of the combination of every "small anthropomorphized animal" book ever, with the emphasis being on Watership Down.

hamishspence
2008-10-22, 02:01 PM
I wonder if gnomes could be given a more rabbity flavour.

No, not THAT way :smallbiggrin:

I mean, stressing the Thousand Enemies bit, playing up their "full of tricks" tendencies as a survival trait, not an Obnoxiousness trait.

After all, they are already famous for burrowing, with honored posts like "burrow-warden"

How does the idea sound?

dspeyer
2008-10-22, 08:52 PM
Is there a Sluggy Freelance RPG?

If so, does Bun-Bun eviscerate 1d4 PCs per round?

If not, could we homebrew one here?

dspeyer
2008-10-22, 08:54 PM

http://sluggy.com/daily.php?date=070618