PDA

View Full Version : Reading to Posting Ratio

The Giant
2003-10-07, 04:49 PM
So, I notice a lot more people stopping by this board and reading than start new topics or post. Just out of curiosity, what sort of topics or whatever would encourage more posting, do you think?

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2003-10-07, 04:59 PM
I thing we either agree too much with each other and therefore don't get a good debate going or most of us just don't like debating and those that do agree with each other and then don't get a good debate going.

I have absolutely no clue how to remedy this.

WampaX
2003-10-07, 05:00 PM
It might just be the way that people read threads.

I tend to read a thread, but will not post if my viewpoint has been expressed or if I have nothing to add to a debate. I will continue to check on the thread throughout its life, thus increasing the "read times" but not adding much to the "posts."

As to posting Hot Topics for sparking discussions . . .
I haven't a clue.

The Giant
2003-10-07, 05:06 PM
I think you have it with the agreeing, TKD...the population is not large enough for lots of different POV's. Looks like I'm going to have to start trolling my own message board. ::)

Any other thoughts?

RawBearNYC
2003-10-07, 05:11 PM
Invite members to post open posts on a specific topic. Sorta like guest speakers. Folks can turn you down, if they wanna, but perhaps you can get things going.

Funny gaming story threads are always fun ("Ninja!"). Or "what's the worst game/player/dm you've ever experienced?" could lead to some entertainment. That sort of thing.

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2003-10-07, 05:11 PM
I know I got a guy in my group to check out the site, but now I just need to get him on the boards. Maybe an XP bonus or something. :-/

Tae_Kwon_Dan
2003-10-07, 05:14 PM
Story thread are okay Ray, but they don't really generate post count and active discussion.

What we need is a good old fashion disagreement on something. The last one we had was about a campaign that a majority of people on the boards didn't play in so they couldn't participate. We need something similar, but in regards to open topic like the rules (it helps when there is more than one objective interpretation.)

The Giant
2003-10-07, 05:22 PM
True. Maybe we're all just too rational to get impassioned about these disagreements...

At any rate, I just stole a new message board game from the CoF that is lots of fun. You should go try it out in Friendly Banter.

The Giant
2003-10-07, 05:23 PM
Invite members to post open posts on a specific topic. Sorta like guest speakers. Folks can turn you down, if they wanna, but perhaps you can get things going.

Funny gaming story threads are always fun ("Ninja!"). Or "what's the worst game/player/dm you've ever experienced?" could lead to some entertainment. That sort of thing.

I hereby invite you, Ray, to start that very thread. :P

RawBearNYC
2003-10-07, 05:54 PM
hey, i started a thread today, get off my back, Giant :P

Bogotter
2003-10-07, 05:59 PM
Well I for one am not shy when it comes to starting new topics. ;D

But sometimes I read posts and don't reply and it's simply a matter of time. Sometimes I have 10 minutes to read the new posts....but I don't have the 30 minutes it takes to reply to them.

RawBearNYC
2003-10-07, 06:05 PM
And yet you still have 316 posts :o

Nappy
2003-10-07, 07:14 PM
Rawbear cracks me up!

I think maybe people just like to read through the posts simply because they're at work or something. Also I think people on these boards are quite articulate so after I've read through them, I wouldn't want to post babble. I'm still new to this....

RawBearNYC
2003-10-08, 10:38 AM
Babble to us, Nappy, we like it!

The Giant
2003-10-08, 01:07 PM
Babble to us, Nappy, we like it!

That is a very odd sentence.

Gannes
2003-10-11, 12:31 AM
I think maybe people just like to read through the posts simply because they're at work or something.
Good point. Also for me, since I tend to write long posts, it sometimes just takes me time to to sit there and type it in... which I don't always want to spend doing that.

Also I think people on these boards are quite articulate so after I've read through them, I wouldn't want to post babble. I'm still new to this....
Being new should be no problem. This is the first message board I have ever posted on. Remember, in the Friendly Chatter place, you don't need to restrict your comments to gaming issues. Talk about movies or books or other such things. Just remember that we are all united by a scifi/fantasy fixation, so those'll be the topics that will most likely get responces.

As for babble, that's fine. I would hope that if you ever disagree with me on anything (GASP!!) you would take the time to explain the position enough so that I could understand where you're coming from, and thus either be convinced that you are, in actuallity and as unbelievable as it may seem, correct or try to disuade you from your silliness in holding positions other than mine!

I would also point out that, if you don't know it already, that humerous sarcasm can be very difficult to convey affectively through writing.