PDA

View Full Version : Kidnapping-ish?

AetherFox
2008-10-14, 05:09 PM
Hello all,

Before I start, anyone participating in my table top, please close your window! Thankyou. :smallsmile:

Anyway, I'm sure this question has an answer, and probably a simple one. What is the best way to get an unwilling creature teleported (Or any other mean of being isolated to a place it's friends can't easily access) with you and other chosen people alone with it? I.E.: Seperate a BBEG from his horde of minions.

Some specifics:
The creature is a humanoid (Gnome)
Chances are it can be touched, although it would be easiest if that wasn't needed.
The creature must be moved instantaniously.
The creatre is hostil.
The item(s) used can't exceed roughly 6000 gold.
It must have a very good chance of success, since my party memebers and I will only have one shot at this.
The creature must have all of it's posessions on it, including artifacts.
The party members must have a way to get out of the isolated area. We are a level seven group of: A Dragonfire Adept, A Dragon Shaman, A Rogue, and A Hexblade.
There must be a maximum of 1 day preparation time.
The sourcebooks must be from: PhB 1/2, Complete mage, arcane, divine, scoundrel, adventurer, Races of the Wild, MM 1/2/3, Draconomicon, Miniatures Handbook, Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle, Book of Nine Swords, DMG 1/2, Magic Item Compendium, and/or Planar Handbook.

My party and I can get in, but only for a round or two. I don't want to risk any more.

Also, it would be very nice if there was an elaborate way to go around doing this, as the DM might try to put an end to it. We want him to see it coming only when it's too late.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-14, 05:24 PM
Plane Shift (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planeShift.htm). Toss in a Rod of Reach Spell, and it's Ranged Touch. Alternatively, Planar Binding or Gate if he's not on the Prime Material works, and doesn't require he have LoS to you.

Iku Rex
2008-10-14, 05:58 PM
Sstoopidtallkid, that advice is bad on so many levels. Read the OP.

Gentoo44:
Where is the BBEG?

What is it you want to ultimately accomplish? Do you want to question the BBEG? Get his equipment? Kill him?

AetherFox
2008-10-14, 06:33 PM
Right now he's in the bottom of a dungeon, trying to get to the bottom before we do. We've already fought him once, but since he's surrounded by his army, we can't get enough time to do any real dammage. In a 1 on 4 fight though, (the 4 being the party) we could easily overwhelm him. He has a magic ring around his finger, which is what we're after. Idealy, we'd bring him to an eclosed location far away, and kill him there, so we can obtain the ring. His army is comprised of alteast 10 soldiers (A mix of classes, but almost all melee, and there's definetly a healer or two, so we can't just whittle them down.) of fourth level each. We haven't seen any others, but there could some anywhere. Thanks to Con. being the best stat for both dragonfire adepts and dragon shamans, we have plenty of hitpoints to wade through to him, but not for long.

Zeful
2008-10-14, 06:48 PM
I would say cast invisibility on the fighter, or maybe a rogue. Then equip him with a bag of holding type I, which is the only one you can afford. Then prepare a Secret Chest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/secretChest.htm). Put it over the gnomes head and pull it to his feet (likely requiring some kind of grapple check) and put the bag in the chest. Teleport yourself where you want to go, summon the chest and take out the bag.

This works because:
1) Presumably because the Gnome would know what a bag of holding is as well as what happens if the bag is punctured.
2) There are no creatures in the chest, but in an extradimensional space in the chest so the spell won't fail.
3) Secret Chest creates normal space, even if it's bigger on the inside than it should be.
4)Extradimensional stacking only applies to Bag of holdings and portable holes (and technically rope trick).

AetherFox
2008-10-14, 06:59 PM
Holy crap that's perfect.

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-14, 07:23 PM
I would say cast invisibility on the fighter, or maybe a rogue. Then equip him with a bag of holding type I, which is the only one you can afford. Then prepare a Secret Chest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/secretChest.htm). Put it over the gnomes head and pull it to his feet (likely requiring some kind of grapple check) and put the bag in the chest. Teleport yourself where you want to go, summon the chest and take out the bag.

This works because:
1) Presumably because the Gnome would know what a bag of holding is as well as what happens if the bag is punctured.
2) There are no creatures in the chest, but in an extradimensional space in the chest so the spell won't fail.
3) Secret Chest creates normal space, even if it's bigger on the inside than it should be.
4)Extradimensional stacking only applies to Bag of holdings and portable holes (and technically rope trick).

What do you need secret chest for? If you can get him into a bag of holding, then you can just teleport yourself with the bag and the gnome inside it.

If you don't have a bag of holding, then it's worth noting that unconscious creatures cannot be unwilling targets (technically, they are treated as objects).

AetherFox
2008-10-14, 07:41 PM
Yeah, the only thing is he's a much higher level then us, so it would take too long to whittle him down. But that's a good point. Do I need the secret chest? Or is it just overkill, 'cause I'm all for overkill, but we have a budget.:smallamused:

Zeful
2008-10-14, 10:36 PM
A scroll of secret chest is 5*CL(min3)*50gp (minimum 750gp). A bag of holding type 1 is 4000gp. Both are well within your stated 6000gp max (though you might have a bag of holding already).

And no you don't need the secret chest, but it's mostly to prevent him from trying to call for help. or casting something to stop the teleport. Once you have the Secret Chest up it's just a matter of concentration to retrieve and hide it away again, preventing him from knowing what your doing.

Iku Rex
2008-10-15, 05:12 AM
Zeful, a bag of holding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofHolding) type I is only 2500 gp. I would not make it easy to get a resisting high level character into one though.

Secret chest has to be cast on a 5000 gp chest "constructed for you by master crafters". You also need to have a tiny, perfect, 50 gp replica made.

Also note that you need a DC 29 use magic device check to activate a level five scroll (secret chest, teleport), as well as a DC 30 check to emulate Int 15 if the character doesn't already have it. That's not easy for a level 7 character.

My plan:

Buy a wand of invisibility (4500 gp). Make it partially used (25 charges, 2250 gp) if you want to save some of your gold. The hexblade can use it. Turn the entire party invisible, make your way to the BBEG, and kill him. If the four of you can't kill a single opponent in a couple of rounds when you have surprise and invisibility on your side you have no business fighting him. Maybe you'll even catch him sleeping.

Hit the gnome with a tanglefoot bag or two at the start of combat to lower his AC and slow him down. (If he gets stuck to the floor you may have to cut loose his corpse before escaping.)

If he's a caster a party member must stand by with a ready action to interrupt spells. A grapple may also be in order.

Once you've won (?) you pick up the body and run for it, with the hexblade turning the party invisible one by one as you retreat.

The flaw in this plan is that good listen checks, closed doors opening on their own, alarm spells, or creatures with scent might warn the enemy of your approach, ruining the surprise. It could still work though.

Additional ideas:

A ring of silent spells (MIC, 2000 gp) lets a character activate a silence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silence.htm) effect 1/day. It might help the party sneak past creaky doors or kill guards in total silence. If the BBEG is a spellcaster a silence effect would really cramp his style when you attack. Have the silenced character grapple him.

Potions of fly (3000 gp for the entire party, so may not be possible) would give you mobility and speed for the big fight and for getting out afterwards.

AetherFox
2008-10-15, 01:59 PM
The thing is, as before stated, he's surrounded by his soldiers. He's a hombrewed class made by the DM, which is good for equipping (Not Buffing) his soldiers. If we fight him where he is, we'll get owned hard by the soldiers. Is there any kind of spell that simulates a rust monster's rust, but in a widespread effect? If so, It would severly stop their fighting capabilities.

Zeful
2008-10-15, 02:44 PM
Zeful, a bag of holding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofHolding) type I is only 2500 gp. I would not make it easy to get a resisting high level character into one though.
That's why the group fighter (or the highest Str guy/grappler) should do it while invisible. By the time he starts struggling he's already got a part of his head in the bag. All it would take is an arrow hitting the bag to sever the gnome's head (the head is past the opening, making it in the extradimensional space so if the bag gets punctured his head is "lost forever"). I also assume that the gnome in question knows what a bag of holding is and the results of the bag rupturing while his head is in it.

Secret chest has to be cast on a 5000 gp chest "constructed for you by master crafters". You also need to have a tiny, perfect, 50 gp replica made. I made a mistake, I'll admit that.

Also note that you need a DC 29 use magic device check to activate a level five scroll (secret chest, teleport), as well as a DC 30 check to emulate Int 15 if the character doesn't already have it. That's not easy for a level 7 character.
Rebuttal:

My party and I can get in, but only for a round or two. I don't want to risk any more. Bolded for emphasis. I assume there's a wizard in the party.

Fiery Diamond
2008-10-15, 03:20 PM
Rebuttal:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo44 View Post
My party and I can get in, but only for a round or two. I don't want to risk any more.
Bolded for emphasis. I assume there's a wizard in the party.

Read the OP. He lists the party members, and....no wizard.

AetherFox
2008-10-15, 03:27 PM
What I mean was, we can get to the BBEG, enough to use a touch spell on him for a few rounds if neccessary.