PDA

View Full Version : Heroes IC

Gorgondantess
2008-10-14, 05:24 PM
Things have been peaceful- for a while, at least. You’ve been vacationing in lovely Port White the past few months to beat the horrid cold of Sorell at this time of year, and the natives haven’t been as cruel as most, due to your reputation as eccentrics not getting to Arrigo, considering most of what you’ve done has been in the other continent. Even so, you’ve already earned a reputation, and the people look at you with a condescending attitude, ushering away their children and not giving you a second glance. You’ve all been getting restless, that adventuring, do-gooder instinct not being able to be put to use, except in the occasional crime you stumble upon (and not even then most of the time, due to the highly effective authorities). One day, as you walk through the ports, an especially cold breeze whipping through, with icicles shooting through the air- something that never happens in tropical Port White- you stumble upon ill news, to match the ill wind. Suddenly, it seems as if the world has erupted in strange events- dozens of missing persons in the villages by the mountains, Arrigo spice crops dying out, barely extant in the deserts due to the cold weather, a gem mining village that has been abandoned, and other general tidings. You find mixed reports from back in Sorell- it seems that something is wrong in the villages by the forests, with strange sightings, more missing persons, a wave of inexplicable amnesia, entire villages being deserted- all in a radius around a forest that has long been rumored as magical, where noone has explored. You decide to meet at the resort you’ve been staying at, eager for some action.

Ifni
2008-10-15, 12:13 AM
Siona

Siona sits quietly on the balcony, gazing out over the ocean. She plays softly on her mandolin while she waits for her friends to arrive, an old half-remembered tune from her childhood. She has her cloak wrapped tightly around her, and her hood pulled forward against the chill wind, hiding the silvery streak in her long dark hair. Her lovely face is pensive.

Strange times, these. The cold weather is more than merely troubling: if it continues, it could mean death or ruin for many. There are villages in Sorell that already barely make it through the winters, and many among the people of Arrigo depend on the spice trade for their livelihood.

The reports of missing people are also disturbing, especially as they are spread across both continents. Perhaps unknown dangers still lurk in the mountains and forests of the world, despite the civilizing efforts of the past century. More likely, though, it's some less exotic foe, exploiting people's superstitions to help cover their activities.

Siona continues to play, her thoughts elsewhere. Her contributions to the group's shared cause have generally been subtle in nature: some part of her still feels that she should be back in Sorell, healing and teaching. Her friends tend to take a more aggressive approach to problems, though - and perhaps in these times, that is what is required.

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-15, 11:04 AM
Vol travelled swiftly down one of the many streets of Port White. He was in a form other than his normal- he was in the form of a black-haired male human. He hadn't cared to specify more than that, so his natural instincts took over to form the rest. He didn't really care, he just preferred to not to invoke the strange stares of a few of the populace. His Shiftweave made him appear to be nothing more than another citizen, covering any bit of his adventuring gear with plain clothes.

He had heard the rumors of disappearing citizens, and was the first to jump at the chance to investigate, at least in his own mind. He had been very restless, he hated being in cities at all, and staying in a crowded city for several months was not a comforting activity for him. If he hadn't needed to stay nearby in case something came up- like it did- He would have gone to stay in one of the nearby jungles until his comrades decided it was time to move again.

As his thoughts swirled and shifted and his concentration waned, he focused back on the path ahead, and picked up his speed, arriving back at the resort, before arriving on the balcony, seeing his comrade Siona, and unaware that he had forgotten to turn back into his usual form. "Good afternoon, Siona. The others have not arrived yet?"

Ifni
2008-10-15, 11:53 AM
Siona

Siona looks up, the smile on her face slightly uncertain as she sees the unfamiliar man. She lifts her fingers from the mandolin's strings. He knows my name and speaks of the others... "Vol? Is that you?" Having a shapeshifter for a friend can be annoying at times.

Bushwhacked
2008-10-15, 03:15 PM
The cool crisp air was much nicer up here than down on the streets, without the building blocking the airflow a steady breeze flowed though her cloak cooling her down. Up on the roof tops she felt much more free, out of the sight of the common Jane and Henry who might call the guard at the sight of her but it was also much more disorienting. The rooftops offered little clue as to where her destination lay.

She was meeting again with her party, an odd lot but she had grown to love them over the last couple of years. Like many people over town she had heard the talk. There were messengers arriving on horseback every other day with a new report that some people were suffering, others being ousted from thier homes. She couldn't think about that yet though, moving through the city like this held enough dangers as it was and distractions could be fatal.

Relaxed again she draws a breath, the chill slicing at her throat. From the spire of the church she ran down the sloped roof and launced herself as she reached the edge. She felt the breeze being channeled down the street between the buildings and with it was funneled the plinking notes of a mandolin. Her head turned in mid air towards the sound, she knew that sound.

Scant minutes later she found herself dropping from the roof of the tavern to the balcony below. Like she thought, Siona was sitting there with her instument. "Its nice to hear your not out of practice Siona, I presume your well. Who's this?"

I'll put a little gather info check in there to see how much she has actually gathered about the recent strife
G-Info:1d20+10

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-15, 08:33 PM
Vol stared quizzically at Siona and the newly arrived Alejandra, before looking down at his hands and realizing the lack of claws, remembering he was in an irregular form. He focused for a second and assumed his standard form, his skin darkening to seem as though he had spent years in the sun, his hair lengthening, turning brown, and becoming far messier, his eyes turning a dark shade of red, and his fingers reshaping into claws.

"Forgive me, I had forgotten that I was in that shape. I just felt like avoiding the stares for a while, I find them disconcerting... but anyway. Hello, Alejandra. Any sign of Vildur?"

imperialspectre
2008-10-15, 09:46 PM
"Here." A form shimmers out of a dispelled invisibility spell, and Vildur sits in the nearest free chair. He wears his characteristic dark gray robes, the usual dress of a mage, and an equally characteristic (in the past few years) scowl. "We can't be too careful these days; there are a great many people who want to keep track of the local subversives, and some of them have access to impressive diviners. I trust all of you arrived without incident?"

Ifni
2008-10-16, 12:22 AM
Siona smiles warmly at her friends, and nods to Vildur. "It's good to see you all again - and no, Vildur, I didn't have any trouble on the way. These stories of disappearances are disturbing, though, and this weather surely can't be natural."

Bushwhacked
2008-10-16, 03:39 AM
"Vol, Vildur. Good to see you both, it seems I was last to get here again; here I was thinking I was early for a change." She pulls her hood back revealing her blonde hair and horns. She moves up to each of them individually and gives them a light hug.

"Yes its hard not to notice but do you really think we should jump in and play heroes again? You know that as soon as the general population find out about it they'll start thinking of us as interlopers."

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-16, 10:40 AM
Vol simply shrugs. "Aren't we? I mean, we can do so much. It's just not right to wait around here while something like that happens over in Sorell..." He takes a few steps, folding his hands behind his head. "Aside from that, it's not like most people don't already see us as interlopers over there. It's not like it can really hurt our reputation."

Bushwhacked
2008-10-16, 01:15 PM
Alejandra smiles with wile in her eyes, "Of course we are, I was just checking we were still on the same page. So what have we all heard?"

imperialspectre
2008-10-16, 06:35 PM
Vildur glances over the balcony before replying. "That's part of what worries me. I'm hearing rumors of terrible things, but not a great deal of specific information--and a good number of the mages here are unusually close-mouthed at the moment. So far, I don't know much at all." And I'm not used to that. At all.

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-16, 10:17 PM
Vol's head turned at that last statement. "You don't know anything about this? That's not a good thing. I think that's a sign that we should stop sitting around and get going, we need to find out what's going on." Vol started pacing again. "And it's not just that I want to get out of here, I honestly think this is something we need to investigate."

Ifni
2008-10-16, 10:57 PM
"Where would you begin, Vol?" Siona asks quietly. She begins playing again as she speaks, the soft music cloaking the sounds of their conversation. "There have been stories of disappearances on both continents: a gem-mining village abandoned in Arrigo, people vanishing from villages near the forests and mountains. Whatever's happening does not seem to be very centralized. Although... perhaps Sorell would be a better place to start our investigations, as we know it better."

imperialspectre
2008-10-17, 12:06 PM
"That's an unusually pretty tune, Siona," Vildur comments in a normal tone of voice. "Where did you pick it up?" As he speaks, his hands move slightly from where they were folded, and then the others hear his voice in their heads. "We have a telepathic bond spell now. It will be available whenever we wish to communicate for the next few hours or so. I thought it would be more secure."

Bushwhacked
2008-10-17, 02:29 PM
"Useful..." she projects, "How far will it work over?"

"If you gave me a few hours I'm sure I can bend some tounges into giving us a few clues."

imperialspectre
2008-10-17, 05:21 PM
Anywhere on this plane.

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-17, 05:24 PM
Vol shakes for a second after hearing his comrade's voice in his head. "Seems a bit... excessive, don't you think?" Vol takes a few steps away, then turns back to face Vildur. "But I suppose I'll go along with it. I don't think anyone will be observing us about this... yet, at least... but if you want to be this cautious, who am I to argue?" Vol shifts his stance, subtly turning to face Alejandra. "And don't hurt anyone to try and get their information... I doubt it's what you meant, but still..."

Ifni
2008-10-17, 06:08 PM
"The tune? Oh, it's just an old song from my childhood, my mother used to hum it. I'm glad you like it. This is what I've been practicing recently, though." Siona stills the strings of her mandolin, pauses for a moment and then begins to play a new song, far more intricate than the previous simple tune, but holding the same haunting, heart-stopping beauty. Her eyes grow distant as she plays, as if in focused concentration.

Thank you, Vildur. Alejandra, if you want to ask around for information, perhaps I should go with you? People are usually willing enough to talk to me, at least when none of their acquaintances are around. But if you think I'd be more of a hindrance than a help, I can use the time to try to see what some of my own contacts know. I doubt they'd have much knowledge that we can't get from the information offices, though: we're a fair way from the places where the disappearances are meant to have occurred.

Siona will take 10 on a Perform (String Instruments) check for 42, assuming she's cast Extended Inner Beauty earlier in the day - 40 if not. She's providing a reason for the party to be sitting here not talking, so people don't have to worry about two threads of conversation :smallsmile:

Bushwhacked
2008-10-18, 12:34 AM
Alejandra Looks socked for a moment and mentally tells him, "I know you mean well Vol, but I would have thought you'd have a higher opinion of me by now. Thats the kind of remark I'm used to receiving from those who who judge me on my looks, you of all people should be able to understand how that feels." Her black eyes reflect little light as she looks him over, she tries to make it appear she's looking down on him rather than trying to analyse what he really meant by that statement, -what if our time apart had changed how he thinks of me?

"I think you have answered your own question Siona. Of course I wouldn't mind your company but as you've expressed we each have our own set of contacts in the city and it will be quicker to cover them all individually. I think I'll start with Father Benvolic, that is unless any of you havn't spoken to him recently. He was taken ill around a week ago, nothing that cannot be remedied, but still."
Aknowledged that gather info wont be to effective but its the way urban tracking and thus Alejandra works, as the general rumors are plastered for all to see she'll ask around for a more local event which might have gotten lost in the chaos of info

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-18, 01:23 AM
Vol's appearance shifted slightly, a sign of nerves for the shapeshifter. No, no, Alejandra, that's not what I- I'm sorry. That wasn't right. I know you better than that. We've just been in this city for long and it's getting to me, not to mention the fact that we're surrounded by people who I wouldn't put it past to do something like that themselves- gah. I'm sorry." Vol turns and takes a few steps away, looking off the balcony. "And I don't think I can help much with gathering information. Not as much of a people nonperson as the rest of you. I haven't heard from any of the other knights lately, so I doubt any of them are around, and since they're the only people I'll really talk to outside of you three, so I'm not sure if I can do much- I'm trailing off again. Sorry."

Ifni
2008-10-19, 02:15 PM
That's okay, Vol. This mental communication can be a bit tricky. Alejandra, does Father Benvolic need any magical aid in recovering? You know I'd be glad to help, if one of your friends needed it.

Siona continues to play, sweet rippling music spilling out into the freezing air. I might try the information office, then, to begin with: I don't know many people in Port White, and none of them are well-travelled or magically knowledgeable - except you three, of course. Still, I'll go and see Maricia later today: I need to check her fever's not returning anyway, and she might have heard something.

Bushwhacked
2008-10-19, 07:37 PM
Alejandra walks up to Vol and takes her place at the edge of the balcony starting out across the street alongside him. Though she's carful not to actually touch him, she purposfully steps into his personal space to make herself close to him. Even using just thoughts she couldn't really think of a reply, the apology was sincere and she could tell she'd put him on guard.

"No. They have thier share of priests at the Abbey, Benvolic will be well and pleased to hear that your thinking of him." She audibly sighs. "Maricia was ill also? This cold is really hitting the people hard."

Alejandra glances down at the street again before wrapping her cloak round her as tightly as possible. She strokes Vol's arm, hoping he understands before leaping the railing behind her and falling into the street below. "I shan't be more than a couple of hours, use Vildur's spell to talk to me if anything comes to light."

Gorgondantess
2008-10-20, 12:44 AM
The main group:
A short time after Alejandra leaves, night falls like a rock; the wind picks up, and you are all driven inside by the wind, which is pelting you all with stinging icicles. If the rest of the world is experiencing things like this (in fact, other places should be more severe) a famine will ensue due to the destroyed crops. One particularly sharp icicle strikes Siona so as to draw blood across her cheek; you will be able to accomplish nothing outside at this night without suitable protection.
Alejandra:
You travel through the streets, and night comes quickly. You see all the people ignoring you completely, running to their homes; whether they are doing so to avoid the cold or to spurn you, you are not sure, as your heritage gives you nigh-immunity to the harsh weather. As you reach Benvolic's house, one of the only places where a worshipper of Sain is welcome, and in fact the only other known worshipper in town, (he does not live at a church, being of a cult status), you see a notice on his door, torn in half from the wind. All you can make out is the word "Eviction". No amount of knocking can avail you; either he's not coming or there's noone home, the latter most likely.

Bushwhacked
2008-10-20, 04:28 PM
A shadow appears at the window of the room that her companions are residing in, she decided that with no clues and the fact that every other sane soul was bundled up in thier houses by the fire the search would be better left for the next day. "I'm back could you let me in?" Alejandra voiced through the spell, hoping that they hadn't gone to sleep already.

She would have her cloak pulled up tight around her so they would need to look into her eyes or spot her cloak isn't quite the right shape under the hood to notice she's not human, she usually does this when in strange company.

imperialspectre
2008-10-21, 01:31 PM
The door eases open, Vildur staying just behind the door as his tiefling friend enters. Good to see you made it back. How is our contact?

Bushwhacked
2008-10-21, 04:09 PM
"It seems he's been evicted." She replies using her voice for a change. "I'm worried that he might be out in the cold but I couldn't find any clues about where he would be at this time of night."

imperialspectre
2008-10-21, 08:42 PM
"That's unfortunate," Vildur replies in his own voice. "Do you have anything that he used to possess? If so, I could use it to scry him and we could find him quite effectively. At any rate," he adds with a sigh, "it seems we face even more serious opposition than usual. It's unfortunate."

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-21, 08:49 PM
Vol walks up to the two and hears Alejandra speak. Following her lead, Vol takes the opportunity to not use the spell, at least initially."Aaah... that's not good. Do you want me to go out and try finding him myself? I'm not sure if I can find him, but I'm not willing to risk a good man like that out in the cold."

"On that note, this cold is not normal. There is something wrong here... I don't know if this is related to anything else that's been happening, but regardless, this is terrible and not natural..." A look of sudden awareness appears on Vol's face. "Is this weather the opposition you speak of, Vildur? Or do you suspect foul play?"

imperialspectre
2008-10-23, 06:15 PM
"The weather is terrible, and we should certainly try to recover our contact and keep him relatively safe, but I was speaking of this sudden eviction. I fear that it precedes a more systematic threat to those who still follow the path of good, and we may be the next to be threatened. We may not have much time to isolate the threat and eliminate it."

Ifni
2008-10-25, 02:37 PM
Indeed, but if what we've heard is true, it seems unlikely the threat is centered here. Siona looks around the group. Here is what I propose. Tonight, if any of us have protections against the weather, we see what we can do to find Benvolic and make sure he's all right. Tomorrow we check in at an information office and see if we can learn anything. If no new information comes up, we head to this mysterious forest in Sorell - Vildur, if you can teleport us or conjure fast mounts, that would make the journey quicker - and begin investigating the disappearances there. She taps her fingers on the table. Do any of you know anything about the forest in question?

Does Siona know any of the stories about this magical forest? Not sure what the relevant check would be... Knowledge History, Local, Geography or Arcana seems the most likely. If History, Geography or Local, add +7 to the following roll; if Arcana, add +15.
Knowledge check [roll0].

Bushwhacked
2008-10-26, 09:02 AM
Still standing in the open doorway she realises she's letting in the harsh weather and wasting the heat of the fire. Closing and looking down she attempts to reconcile the situation. "I've got a ring of sustenance, I can go with just two hours sleep and the weather shan't affect me much. I'll keep searching and return in ample time to be fully rested for tomorrow. How personal of an object do you need to cast your spell Vildur? I might be able to pick somthing up from his abandoned room."

"Of course I don't want this to hinder us, but if I can I would like to make sure the Father is at least safe.

I'm a child of the city, anything I would have heard about Sorell forest would be inconsequential, but your plan seems sound, can I leave that to you Siona?"

imperialspectre
2008-10-26, 04:13 PM
"Any possession of his will make the scrying spell substantially more effective; if you can find or draw a portrait or likeness of him, that of course will make things even even easier.

"Traveling to Sorell probably is the best course of action. I can teleport us there fairly efficiently, within no more than two discrete legs. We may wish to delay a day or two if we get a good location for the Father, though. We should make sure he is safe and, if necessary, somewhere safer than where he is now."

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-26, 06:11 PM
"I agree with this plan of action. Alejandra, I can get by on as little sleep as you can, I'll go with you if you want. The only real advantage I can offer is my speed, given that you are considerably better at finding things, but I'll still do what I can to help he man." Vol then turns to face Vildur. "I think we should get going in the morning, if we can. Provided that we can find Father Benvolic, I think it should be easy for us to at least pay for a temporary residence if he needs it while we investigate the forest."

Bushwhacked
2008-10-27, 01:49 PM
"Noted, I'll see what is there." she says to Vildur and then turns to Vol. "It's really cold out there, I can't stress that enough. If you think you can last it out I'd love to have you with me."

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-27, 06:03 PM
Vol grins at Alejandra. "Oh, now you make it seem like a challenge... I guess I'm obligated to go with you now, if just to prove that I can. I am the one who spent a decent chunk of my life living in the forest... If you're really worried about the cold, I can pray to Sain to protect us from it, but that would take a bit of time... That part's up to you."

Bushwhacked
2008-10-27, 08:13 PM
"Go ahead, I'd prefer for you to be safe. If I'm still outside by the time you catch up with me I'll need you to get us in anyway. If we're lucky I've saved us a little time."

Looking a little less disheartened she makes another quick exit, this time she climbs the terrace and takes the path that the roofs makes for her. Upon reaching the house she tries all of the potential entrances she can see.

I'll give you a gratis roll here, I'll presume for search(+4)/spot(+13) for her trying to find a way in but use it how you please.
[roll0]

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-28, 09:32 PM
"Alright Alejandra, good luck. Hopefully I won't be needed, but if I am, see you in an hour." Vol then proceeds to the center of the room and begins his prayer to Sain, hoping for protection from the weather.

Preparing spells:
1st Level:
Endure Elements
Divine Sacrifice

2nd Level:
Resist Energy
Bull's Strength

Gorgondantess
2008-10-29, 12:54 AM
Alejandra manages to find several windows, all of them locked and shut. The only feasible entrances that would be more covert are the chimney, in which even a slim woman like her would barely squeeze through, definitely an unpleasant experience considering the soot and grime, and a broken window that has been boarded up. There are several gaps, but closer inspection shows that the boards are stuck fast, and would have to be broken to enter, and the jagged glass would probably cut you. There is no sign of habitation. Either way, if Benvolic has been evicted, breaking in would be a highly illegal act.

Vol manages to prepare his spells after about 5 minutes.

Eternal Kanus
2008-10-29, 09:23 PM
Vol arises from his prayer and quickly releases a piece of Sain's blessing before walking outside. "Alejandra? I'm ready. Where are you?"

Casting Endure Elements on myself.

Ifni
2008-10-29, 09:35 PM
In the hotel room, Siona looks to Vildur. "I'll stay up and keep watch until the others come back, if you want to get some sleep." She carefully puts her mandolin away and sits down on a chair near the window, wrapping a blanket around herself for warmth.

Bushwhacked
2008-10-30, 07:59 AM
Alejandra hears Vol's voice from the other side of the door. "Please be patient and quiet, I'm inside. I shan't be long." She projects to him. A moment earlier she used her anklet to teleport her inside the building and was now looking for a personal item to Benvolic that might have been left behind in the move.

Picking out the most relevant thing she quickly uses her anklet once more to return to the outside of the building where she greets Vol and shows him what she found. "Do you think this will suffice for Vildur to cast his spell?"

used two charges on her anklet to teleport >20" twice using either an unbroken window or the gaps in the boards for line of sight.
once again a gratis roll for her to find an object
[roll0]-oops see ooc

imperialspectre
2008-10-30, 10:15 AM
Vildur half-smiles and leans back against the wall. "Thank you. I do need a little rest this night, if my spells will be any good tomorrow."

Gorgondantess
2008-10-30, 04:48 PM
Entering the home, Alejandra finds some books in a language she's not familiar to, clothes, and other household amenities, such as dishes and furniture. The place is filthy, and most of it is in disrepair.

Bushwhacked
2008-10-30, 07:29 PM
She would relay roughly what she has found to Vildur presuming its not been to long and he's still awake "-Which would you think would be of the most use?"

imperialspectre
2008-11-04, 10:04 PM
"Recover the books. If you recognize a piece of clothing, bring that back as well."

Gorgondantess
2008-11-13, 12:52 AM
Alejandra leaves the home, taking soe belongings, and goes on her way. The entire thing was all a moot point in the end, however; as she goes back to the hotel, she finds Father Benvolic lain on top of a cart of other dead bodies succumbed to the cold; having no place to go, he must have frozen to death.

Back at the hotel, there is a slamming and scuffle from the 1st floor, and yelling. It goes on for several minutes.

imperialspectre
2008-11-18, 01:20 AM
Vildur's eyes narrow at the commotion downstairs, and he instinctively checks his spell components pouch for critical ingredients in the case of combat. "We might have unfriendly company, Siona. That doesn't sound like the average bar fight." Reaching out to the returning companions, he sends a quick mental warning: "Unknown commotion downstairs. Be careful coming back here."

Eternal Kanus
2008-11-21, 01:47 AM
Upon finding the body of Father Benvolic, Vol bowed his head in respect and said a small prayer to Sain before heading back to the hotel. Almost the moment he set down to sleep, he heard the commotion coming from downstairs, doublechecked that he was in his normal form, and rushed downstairs, claws at the ready.