PDA

View Full Version : Malaprop the Orc

Hal
2008-10-14, 10:02 PM
Who of you played Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion? In the game, there is an Orc lord named Rugdumph gro-Shurgak who speaks in malapropisms. Some examples of his dialogue:

* "I am Lord Rugdumph gro-Shurgak. How may I persist you?"
* "The will-o-the-wisp is a luminous being. It has naturalized residences to many types of spells."
* "I am resident to encounter the minotaur. Its horny protuberants cause me great conflagrations."
* "Trolls, I have been foretold, are particular to unflammable weapons."
* "Though I am replicant to spread rumors, I am led to believe the philogy of skeletous beings makes them resistive to magic."
* (On the subject of Ogres) "Horrible creatures! Replete with horror and evil. They roam freely eastward of the estate. I look forward to you exterminizing them."
* (When you ask him about his missing daughter) "I fear that whilst out rock-picking, she was apprehensive. Stolen away! My suspension is that ogres have abjected her!"
* "Precedeth most urgentlike."
* (When you complete the quest and receive his sword) "You found my belabored daughter! I will tell Burz gro-Khash about your indentures! Take this. It has been passed in my family for many generators."

Honestly, I think this would be a hilarious half-orc character. Someone with modest Int score (modifier doesn't matter) who's trying to fit into normal human society, but is clearly missing something.

However, such text seems really difficult to come up with spontaneously. Anyone have any suggestions for role-playing such a character?

Fishy
2008-10-14, 10:12 PM
In person and around a table, this is a little bit easier to do, particularly if you don't mind occasionally using things that aren't really words. Over text, simply typo the approbate word, and mangle it until your spell check comes up with something amassing.

Weirdlet
2008-10-14, 10:14 PM
Where is this orc lord? I don't think I've ever encountered him.

Hal
2008-10-14, 10:23 PM
Where is this orc lord? I don't think I've ever encountered him.

He's north of Cheydinhal, part of the Fighter's Guild questline.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-14, 10:26 PM
I always preferred Lukahn the Witless, myself, but damned if I can fully remember any of his quotes.

Prometheus
2008-10-14, 10:50 PM
Who of you played Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion? In the game, there is an Orc lord named Rugdumph gro-Shurgak who speaks in malapropisms. Some examples of his dialogue:

Honestly, I think this would be a hilarious half-orc character. Someone with modest Int score (modifier doesn't matter) who's trying to fit into normal human society, but is clearly missing something.

However, such text seems really difficult to come up with spontaneously. Anyone have any suggestions for role-playing such a character?
"Who of you pallied around with Old Scrolls 4: Oblivious? In the game, there are an Orky lord of name Rugdump Gross Urges whom sparks in bad propositions. Some explanations of his diagrams:

Not to lie, I do think it would be a hilarious calf-orky caricature. Somewho with the most Int scour (modifies doesn't mate) who's trying to flit onto norm human society, but is clerically misting somethang.

Whatever, sucky tests seem real difficult to go down with spoon-tenatively. Anyhow have any suggestses four roll-pallying around with sucky caricatures?"

That was my best attempt to translate text word by word into malapropisms. If you think that works out great, write a translator that you type your words into before you saying anything on PbP. However, the hallmark of the malapropisms seem to be saying things that would otherwise would be correct but require some reworking. Beyond the "physiology" -> "philogy" type conversion there is the "are particularly effected by" -> "are particular to". You'd need to get used to some of these tricks, which would be harder to do, but more rewarding. If you had a PbP character that didn't speak much you could gradually pick up better phrases.

RTGoodman
2008-10-15, 01:55 AM
There's a whole series of "Frank & Ernest" comic strips featuring "Malaprop Man" or some superhero like that. Here (http://nachofoto.com/photo-of-Malaprop-Man-A40428c18cf98)'s one, for example, and I bet you could probably just look online and find a bunch of 'em.

If you do find a lot, you should be able to read enough to where you could probably start being able to just ad lib your malapropisms at the table.