PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Magazine: Items of Legend [4e]

Enlong
2008-10-14, 10:17 PM
(I checked and found nothing on this)

New Dragon Magazine article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20081010), focusing on some new Artifacts.

Personally, I like the look of these and would put them into my game. The Immortal Game especially, I like Chess, and I like that they thought. I wonder if it would be feasible to replace "Chess" with "Go" for the Immortal Game... the only problem would be that Go has far more moves in an average game then a game of Chess.
Actually... you could use just about any board game you can think of, really. Can you say "Cursed Candyland?"

FoE
2008-10-14, 10:32 PM
I thought the article was pretty interesting. The Immortal Game struck me as a bit odd (by the way, I think you could technically use any boardgame, since you don't actually have to play it). The Blades of Banatruul are a good quest hook. The Helm of the Madman's Blood has some pretty flimsy fluff behind it, but it would be a fun item to include in your quest.

Enlong
2008-10-14, 10:42 PM
What about Tantron? I kind of like the idea of the little figure that turns into a giant elephant and smashes everything, but that's just me. I love the personality of the Chessmaster, too. Take a piece: *no-no-no* and then he tries to KILL YOU.

Rockphed
2008-10-14, 10:48 PM
It appears to be hidden behind some sort of guard that demands my money.:smallfrown:

FoE
2008-10-14, 10:53 PM
I like the idea; I've just never been big on magical elephants.

Oh, read the whole text on the Immortal Game. The Chessmaster doesn't just try to kill you once; he keeps coming back until you're dead. And if someone other than you upsets the board, not only does the Chessmaster try to kill that person, if you have a high enough Concordance score, so do you.

Seems like a pretty cool addition to a game.

one thing I like about artifacts is that, even though they don't stay with you forever, they leave behind a crapload of residuum when they disappear.

Enlong
2008-10-14, 10:55 PM
I like the idea; I've just never been big on magical elephants.

Oh, read the whole text on the Immortal Game. The Chessmaster doesn't just try to kill you once; he keeps coming back until you're dead. And if someone other than you upsets the board, not only does the Chessmaster try to kill that person, if you have a high enough Concordance score, so do you.

Oh, I know that part about him CONTINUOUSLY COMING BACK. Chess is Serious Business.
It reminds me of that one Deck of Many Things result where you fight a Dread Wraith for your existance, and anyone who tries to help gets a Dread Wraith to fight themselves.

FoE
2008-10-14, 11:11 PM
What's nice about the Immortal Game, though, is that it doesn't overwhelm your game like the Deck of Many Things. You play a couple of moves each day, and then the Chessmaster disappears. The DoTM can take over a campaign.

I really like that you can soften up Tantron by introducing it to other big beasties, especially elephants. There's a really touching scene somewhere in there.

One thing, though: Tantron's HP supposed to be that low because it's a Figurine? Or is that a misprint?

Enlong
2008-10-14, 11:26 PM
True, and the Blessing or Curse isnt' that huge. Though I can imagine PCs losing and challenging the Chessmaster to "double or nothing"

As for Tantron, I really don't know. Maybe, because he's a figurine, he isn't killed, just forced back into figure form? I really don't know.

but HOLY COW, look at the Pleased stats on him. An excessively lavish Magnificent mansion, and free Planer Portals? Yes please!

Ah, I see. If you want, you can spend healing surges to give Tantron your bloodied value as temporary HP when he's summoned.

FoE
2008-10-14, 11:36 PM
The ... the mansion has servants. How can it have servants?

How can it have a wine cellar? :smalleek:

Enlong
2008-10-14, 11:43 PM
Tantron's Howdah has a wine cellar because Tantron wants a wine cellar. Are you questioning Tantron?

Hey, I just had a thought... Tantron Facts?

Edit: Wait... a Howdah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howdah) is a... but... it's on Tantron... wine cellar.. how? Right, right. Tantron wants one, etc. but HOW?!

FoE
2008-10-15, 12:26 AM
Clearly it's a Hyperspace Base (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClownCarBase?from=Main.HyperspaceBase). What I can't get over is that it's apparently got living servants in it.