PDA

View Full Version : PrCs and XP

LibraryOgre
2008-10-15, 12:19 AM
I had a conversation with a friend of mine a few weeks ago, and he mentioned something that sounded wrong, but I didn't recall it until now to ask...

Does anyone know where in the core of 3.5 it is specifically mentioned that you don't get an XP penalty for mismatched levels if one is a PrC?

averagejoe
2008-10-15, 12:23 AM
I've looked fairly thoroughly for it in the past, and I've found nothing. I'm fairly sure by RAW you still get XP penalties. The only thing I could find in the DMG on the matter was that prestige classing is, "A special type of multiclassing," so I assumed it followed all the same rules.

'Course, that didn't stop me from looking. XP penalties are bad. :smallfrown:

WhiteShark
2008-10-15, 12:23 AM
Taking a prestige class does not incur the experience point penalties normally associated with multiclassing.

There you have it.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/prestigeClasses.htm

Jack Zander
2008-10-15, 12:26 AM
My God, you know how horrible that would be? You would be forced to take exp penalties on your first few levels at least anytime you grabbed a prestige class. What would be the point of ever taking one?

WhiteShark
2008-10-15, 12:28 AM
To put yourself hopelessly behind the rest of the group in levels. This would cause your death in the next encounter, allowing you to make a new character with a DM who didn't you want you to switch characters. :smallcool:

Glyphic
2008-10-15, 12:29 AM
My God, you know how horrible that would be? You would be forced to take exp penalties on your first few levels at least anytime you grabbed a prestige class. What would be the point of ever taking one?

But then we could add, "Favored Prestige Classes!" :smallbiggrin:

Devils_Advocate
2008-10-15, 12:29 PM
I think it's somewhere in the errata.