PDA

View Full Version : Tips on keeping PbP interesting

Akisa
2008-10-15, 02:50 AM
For some reason I seem to loose interest in pbp games as they tend to go very slow. I was wondering what do people do to remain interested?

Kalirren
2008-10-15, 04:02 AM
Hm. I have the same problem. I do know that chat sessions with the other players help a lot for me. It's a way to get know the other players and the moderator OOC, as well as think about your character cooperatively, without having to confine oneself to the instantaneous progress of the story. It also relieves some of the tension inherent in the writng of a post, since you don't have to worry so hard about conveying the essence of your character through the posts alone.

Oslecamo
2008-10-15, 04:56 AM
It's hard. Very hard.

1-Think carefully before joining the campaign. You sure you want to play it to the end?

2-Play with people you already know and simpathyze from the forums.

3-Don't think too far ahead. Focus in the situation at hand, since you're gonna be stuck on it for a good while. Have fun detailing that sword blow you've just done.

4-Don't join too many PbP games. It's much easier to keep focus in 1-2 games than joining half a dozen.

5-If it's someone's turn and they don't post, then take iniative and try to make the next player go at it.

Quietus
2008-10-15, 05:22 AM
As a player, the best way to do this is to join with someone you know well and have regular contact with - a chat buddy from online, or even a friend you know in real life. That'll keep things moving back and forth pretty steadily, at least until you reach combat.

PbP is actually far more suited for roleplay-based campaigns rather than dungeon crawls for exactly this reason. Combat's structure involves a lot of waiting.