PDA

View Full Version : The creeping "New" tags...

The Giant
2003-11-04, 01:29 AM
So I've noticed that any topic that hasn't been posted to for a month gets the "New" tag back. This isn't so bad for the Gaming forum, which is really active, but Campaigns has dwindled down to basically one or two active threads, so that the "New" threads drastically outnumber the real threads! This is kind of weird.

Ray tells me he can't really fix this, so I guess it's something we have to live with. I am considering archiving threads that haven't been used in a month or two, but that seems silly. It also limits the ability for new members to dredge up old topics and comment on them. So I guess for now, it stays.

Bogotter
2003-11-04, 11:38 AM
Yeah I don't think you should archive the posts. It's annoying....but realistically.....it's only cosmetic and therefore not a big deal.

RawBearNYC
2003-11-04, 11:39 AM
When I get a free moment, I'll take a look at the "new" logic. It's definately a bug. Hmmm....maybe I'll stop by the YaBB site and ask there if anyone has a fix.

Bogotter
2003-11-04, 05:11 PM
I did some research for you guys.....this is what I found. This may help.

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?board=featuretroub;action=display;num=1066 421936

Let me know if it helps!

RawBearNYC
2003-11-04, 05:21 PM
Thanks Bog, I was wondering how they got around the exponential growth problem with the "read" flag. I'll talk to rich about upping that day count.

The Giant
2003-11-04, 05:28 PM
Aha! I fixed it now to be 120 days. Unfortunately, it won't take the New tags off thread that already have them, but if you clear them all manually now, they won't reappear for 4 months.

RawBearNYC
2003-11-04, 05:50 PM
There's a link at the top of each forum listing labled "Mark Topics as Read", this will mark every topic in a forum as Read and remove the New tags en masse.

Bogotter
2003-11-04, 08:01 PM
Aha! I fixed it now to be 120 days. Unfortunately, it won't take the New tags off thread that already have them, but if you clear them all manually now, they won't reappear for 4 months.

Cool! Glad it helped!

Maj
2003-11-07, 07:20 PM
Is this tag problem problematic in only certain browsers? I never noticed it.

The Giant
2003-11-07, 08:27 PM
It shouldn't have been; it was a function of YaBB, not the browser. Anyway, it's more or less gone now. Also, depending on your habits, if you ever used the "Mark all threads read" links, the problem would never have been visible.

Maj
2003-11-08, 07:20 PM
Aha! That would be it.

;)