PDA

View Full Version : Creation of the world

Assassin89
2008-10-15, 11:02 AM
Considering all of the stupid things that the gods did in creating the world (the Snarl, cannon fodder races), how would you have created the first world so that those fatal mistakes did not happen?

My suggestions include:

Creating a realm where the cannon fodder races exist to be summoned into the real world as a punch clock job. Some individuals can freely choose to live in the real world. None with an evil heart can enter (Think of the feymarch from Final Fantasy IV). Solves problem with Redcloak (somewhat)
Creating multiple species of creatures so that compromises can be made. (bridge trolls, forger trolls, and toy trolls) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html) could eliminate the origin of snarl by the gods.

NerfTW
2008-10-15, 12:30 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. They did your second suggestion when they made World 2.0. Of course, if they hadn't argued initially, there would have been no Snarl. But that's not the point. They can't go back and unmake thier mistakes.

As for the previous, they also didn't expect one of the monster races to manage to raise a god like the Elves did. The Dark One's plan hinges on the backup that if the Snarl can't be controlled, and gets loose, he will have a hand in creating World 3.0, and therefore can suggest a different method of XP earning for clerics.

Fighteer
2008-10-15, 12:45 PM
As for the previous, they also didn't expect one of the monster races to manage to raise a god like the Elves did. The Dark One's plan hinges on the backup that if the Snarl can't be controlled, and gets loose, he will have a hand in creating World 3.0, and therefore can suggest a different method of XP earning for clerics.
Assuming of course that the Snarl doesn't manage to eat any more gods the second time around. This represents a slight (with heavy sarcasm) flaw in the plan. :smallamused:

Jorrath_Zek
2008-10-15, 02:20 PM
Omnipotent gods... Have each one create thier own little world/plane where only thier races/follower can enter and have each joined via portals to a central mega-plane/world where the races and spread out and either learn to co-operate or war for extra living space...
Or simpler, Set up a democratic system and put the creation of each race our for suggestions and a vote with Majority Rule (Each of the Three Groups get a single Vote)

HamsterOfTheGod
2008-10-15, 02:27 PM
Considering all of the stupid things that the gods did in creating the world (the Snarl, cannon fodder races), how would you have created the world so that they did not happen?

My suggestions include:

Creating a realm where the cannon fodder races exist to be summoned into the real world as a punch clock job. Some individuals can freely choose to live in the real world. None with an evil heart can enter (Think of the feymarch from Final Fantasy IV). Solves problem with Redcloak (somewhat)
Creating multiple species of creatures so that compromises can be made. (bridge trolls, forger trolls, and toy trolls) (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html) could eliminate the origin of snarl by the gods.

Blasphemy! May the Twelve Gods forgive you!

chiasaur11
2008-10-15, 03:24 PM
Blasphemy! May the Twelve Gods forgive you!

I'd worry more about Thor, myself.

HamsterOfTheGod
2008-10-15, 03:28 PM
I'd worry more about Thor, myself.

You must be one of those uncivilized northeners.

Theodoriph
2008-10-15, 03:30 PM
I'd kill all the other Gods and create the world to my liking.

Problems solved.

David Argall
2008-10-15, 04:09 PM
Omnipotent gods... Have each one create thier own little world/plane where only thier races/follower can enter and have each joined via portals to a central mega-plane/world where the races and spread out and either learn to co-operate or war for extra living space...

It appears this is not possible. We have 4 sets of gods after just one space. This suggests that spaces for worlds are distinctly limited, at least compared to the number of gods who want them. If we acknowledge any amount of overhead [a different heaven-hell for each world...], it becomes much more efficient to combine the worlds.
Moreover, the central world needs rules, which means the gods will still argue, and cause the Snarl anyway.

R.O.A.
2008-10-15, 04:16 PM
I'd kill all the other Gods and create the world to my liking.

Problems solved.

kill...Gods....
um? slight flaw? I'm pretty certain that no single God could kill a God - immmortals remember?

(although attmitedly, combined efforts like the snarl, made of the frustrations of multiple deities, can do it as we have seen.)

I don't see why the Gods can't fix Redcloak's / the dark one's issues, making everyone equal socially / economically, but initiate more wars, so clerics can gain xp off of other humaniods, instead of needing to fight mosters that are too tough.

snowbard55
2008-10-15, 06:02 PM
Or simpler, Set up a democratic system and put the creation of each race our for suggestions and a vote with Majority Rule (Each of the Three Groups get a single Vote)

I sortof like the own little world idea. However, why link them? That would simply give the gods more stuff to fight over. Each pantheon gets a single plane to create and rule over as they like. Of course, the gods within a single pantheon would have to co-operate with each other, (except in the case of the Dark One, being the sole deity in a pantheon of one), but this would be much easier than having all the pantheons vie for control over a single plane.

NerfTW
2008-10-15, 09:58 PM
kill...Gods....
um? slight flaw? I'm pretty certain that no single God could kill a God - immmortals remember?

(although attmitedly, combined efforts like the snarl, made of the frustrations of multiple deities, can do it as we have seen.)

I don't see why the Gods can't fix Redcloak's / the dark one's issues, making everyone equal socially / economically, but initiate more wars, so clerics can gain xp off of other humaniods, instead of needing to fight mosters that are too tough.

In Start of Darkness, they imply that they have the power to destroy the Dark One initially. They wanted to "destroy him on the spot", but some of the evil gods backed him up.

Theodoriph
2008-10-15, 10:06 PM
kill...Gods....

Traditionally (and in D&D), immortal really only means that you won't die naturally. You can still be killed.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-21, 12:36 AM
Well, first of all, I wouldn't create the world in the first place. Occam's Razor, entities need not be proliferated more than necessary. More sentient beings in the world means more minds that need happiness. There's only so much happiness to go around, and forcing individuals to compete for it can only breed problems.

But if there absolutely HAD to be XP fodder races, make it one that actually enjoys being squashed underneath the beginning adventurer's club. Make it one that doesn't terrorize commoners, but is an annoyance at worst and a bit of jovial comic relief at best. Make it tasty, also. I am of course talking about THIS THING:
http://www.thestuffilike.org/wp-content/uploads/dragon-quest-heroes-rocket-slime-20060428051944113.jpg

Lord_Butters_I
2008-10-21, 01:04 AM
http://www.thestuffilike.org/wp-content/uploads/dragon-quest-heroes-rocket-slime-20060428051944113.jpg

I should know what that is but I don't.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-21, 01:11 AM
It's a slime from the Dragon Quest series. Look at it! So cute...so edible...i bet it's high in fiber, too. It's practically begging to be smashed by my bamboo stick. Who am I to deny it what it wants?

Assassin89
2008-10-21, 09:33 AM
But if there absolutely HAD to be XP fodder races, make it one that actually enjoys being squashed underneath the beginning adventurer's club. Make it one that doesn't terrorize commoners, but is an annoyance at worst and a bit of jovial comic relief at best. Make it tasty, also. I am of course talking about THIS THING:

The main problem with such a creature is that adventurers would try to kill every single slime just so they do not annoy anyone anymore. Or at least creep out the adventurers who normally enjoy killing monsters due to the slime's appearance.

Chas the mage
2008-11-08, 02:35 AM
I think that the gods should have a recycle bin on their desk top like the rest of us PCs, and then just put the snarl in there and empty it.