PDA

View Full Version : Old School 3.5 IC Thread

stupnick
2008-10-15, 11:22 AM
Bloodstone Village

You have either just arrived here in Bloodstone Village or have been here for a while. But it is a great time to be in the area, This is the time of Celebration. It has been 5 years since the defeat of Zhygi the Witch King, and Orcs, Prince of Demons. The forces they used to over run this area and destroy everything they came across have dispersed.

Bloodstone has been handed over to the leader of the group that stopped the menace, Lord Gareth Dragonsbane, Paladin of Illmatir. Since then the town has began to grow and prosper. The have been rebuilding and expanding. In order to protect his people Lord Dragonsbane even built a Large Gate to the north along the borders of Vaasa.

The nice thing about this time of the year is the Festival that is thrown. Merchants and Villages from all over the surrounding area come here for the games, the food, and the music. It's really once of a kind.

This year that holds especially true. During the Feast of Myrtul someone attempted to poison Lord Dragonsbane. Many feared the worst, but under the watchful eye of Friar Dugald the poison is attempting to be nuetralized. Stepping up in his place is his wife Lady Dragonsbane, Requesting the help of anyone willing to help trackdown this assassin and bring him to justice for his crimes against the crown.

You all have heard about this from the wandering messangers around town, and have come to the center of town to read the posted bulletin.

All willing to assist In the capture
Of this assassin and helping bring him
to justice will be Rewarded Greatly.

Head to the North Gate and ask
for Commander Diordin at
12 noon on the 13th of Myrtul

Payment upon completion of
500g each

As you read over the bulletin you realize that you have about 3 hours before you have to be there, and it's only a 45 minute walk to the north gate.

Toliudar
2008-10-15, 03:38 PM
Aggro

The stocky halfling strode through town. Yes. Despite the fact that his legs were less than fourteen inches long, he nonetheless managed to convey "stride" in his walk.

The axes helped. All of the axes helped.

He found a way to smile in a way that approximated "friendly" to the townsfolk gathering for the festivities. No point in unsettling the marks.

He joined a small group reading the notice in the centre of town, scowling as he read.

An assassin-hunt, eh? Well. Maybe he could help with that. Send a thief...all that crap.

Aggro backed off from the notice, curious to see who else would be drawn to such an opportunity. He settled in next to a rain-barrel at the edge of the central square to watch for other exotic-looking folk.

drum-n-bass
2008-10-15, 05:28 PM
Theo Ciderbottom
The stout, plump, and short halfling cleric was dancing around with a slice of brambleberry pie in one hand and a mug of apple cider in the other. He was wearing a brown ankle length tunic. Around his waist was a faded rope belt holding a large flail for such a small being.

The bulletin on the wall caught his attention. Ooooo. That darned assassin trying to kill the good lord of the Village, and even during the festival, filled with all of it's jolly. Why, if i got my hands on him I would wring his throat. Afterwords, he shoved some more blue-ish purple pie into his mouth, and washed it down with cider.

J-H
2008-10-15, 07:06 PM
Leon

Having arrived in Bloodstone the previous night, Leon had already learned of the poisoning, but was not sure where to start in finding out what was wrong.

Hearing of the messages and the posted reward, he reads the note and heads towards the North gate. Armored only in leather and carrying a large club, he draws little attention, most dismissing him as an inexperienced tough or cheap guard.

DarknessLord
2008-10-16, 12:24 AM
Hajari

Hajari didn’t get into the crowd, as a thief himself, he knew exactly what too many people too close to him could mean, and at the moment, he had gold in his pocket, and didn’t need to take advantage of that himself. Although if the right mark presented itself...
The poster was interesting enough,
Assassin, huh? Well, taking their property is one thing, but I can’t say this kind of theft is something I really approve of. My old lady and me bro and sis should sure use their take of that 500 GP. I can’t say I really like reporting to someone called “commander” though, not that I’ve done anything wrong in this city, yet. Well, better make sure I act all well behaved like, not look like I’m up to nothing. This job might be work out though. Hajari concluded his thoughts out loud.
“Well that’s that then. Better make sure I’m at that north gate, all promptly like.” He grimaced, “I need to stop doin— Well damn it!”

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-16, 05:10 PM
Himo

The sergent had sent message for himo to meet him for lunch. Himo had heard there was some commotion at the festivities, but didn't know it was an assasination attempt. Word had come to the militia to send out one of their best me and investigate, and the hunt for the assasin was the perfect place to start

better go after them himo thinks to himself see who employs them.... and 500 gold is never to be sniffed at and heads to the north gate

Toliudar
2008-10-17, 12:35 AM
Aggro

Huh. A shady looking bunch being attracted by that notice. For all I know, the assassin himself - or herself - will answer the call, to throw attention off themselves. Gotta be careful.

Having seen enough, Aggro selects an indirect route to the north gate.

stupnick
2008-10-17, 10:55 AM
Bloodstone Village

As you are sitting around watching the notice, there are quite a few people that come and check it out. Quite a few of them halflings. It seems that the festival is still going on, so there isn't that many people paying attention to this area as they are to busy drinking and partying.

Vaasan Gate

As you arrive at the Vaasan Gate, there is only a few other people visable, almost all of them are guards. The gate itself towers above the landscape. It stands almost 50 feet tall, and quite possibly 200 feet long. Some guards line the top of the gate, not as many as you would figure. There are tall imposing doors in the center of the gate, and a set of doors just on the inside leading into the gate itself.

As you approach you notice a guard standing at the doors and he greets you warmly as you approach and let's you know that it will be just a little while before the meeting. He then shows you into a small waiting room and tells you that you may wait here.

im holding off, i will do a whole huge posting on monday. trying to let everyone get in posting. who ever doesn't post by monday will be removed from the group (that's why i took a large group) and at that point, posting requirements will begin.

KingRexII
2008-10-18, 01:02 AM
Arylex Silverside

Lex strolls around the Festival in the city he knew well -- well, at least the more interesting or posh areas. His lack of coin prevented him into the latter, but he had no qualms about partying with the peasants. He takes enough time to take note of the bulletin, especially the payment part, before re-joining the revelry.

The elf-in-rags prances and drinks as he meanders his ways to the north gate. At five before noon, he strolls into sight of the gate's guards. He offers a half full mug to the guard that greets him, keeping the full mug in his other hand to himself. He says with a smile and a bow, "Lex -- at your service."

stupnick
2008-10-21, 12:39 PM
Vasaa Gate

Arriving at the gate you are shown into a small waiting room. Fifteen minutes after noon a large man comes walking out of an ajoining room. Dressed in full plate armor with a sword at his side he looks at everyone who "signed up" for this mission. Motioning towards everyone that is sitting here he simply states "Come into this room here, and have a seat around the table."

Upon doing so, he sits down at the head of the table and only adds "Please tell me about yourself so I know what I am working with here."

sorry, i didn't go near a computer yesterday, found out that my wife and I will be having our first baby. so I was slightly excited...

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-21, 02:44 PM
Himo

the names Himo Nailo - i work in the dock merchants quarter with the militia, keeping the peace. My sergent sent me on over this way, said you were lookin to get a band together to go after whoever poisoned his Lordship Dragonbane

J-H
2008-10-21, 05:28 PM
Leon
Sitting down, Leon leans his greatclub against the seat, keeping a hand on/near it to stabilize it. (He'll pick it up when he leaves)

With a bit of pride, he introduces himself, "I am Leon, a Paladin of Torm."

KingRexII
2008-10-21, 08:15 PM
Arylex Silverside

"Lex is the name, and adventuring's the game," he says, trying to sound professional. He takes a sip from his mug and spills a little bit of cheap mead on his plain brown tunic. He tries to save face by wiping it off with his hands and saying with a blush, "I can be... uh... quite persuasive when I really need to, being an enchanter and all."

drum-n-bass
2008-10-21, 08:28 PM
Theo Ciderbottom

Wiping his blue face on his brown tunic, Theo waltzes in to the meeting somewhat late and sits down. After giving a loud belch, he replies to the mans question I am Theo Ciderbottom of the Halfling clan outside the city. I am a cleric of Urogalan halfling god of death and the earth. I want to find the assassin, give him a piece of my mind then wring his throat. afterwards he drinks some more of his cider he brought with him.

stupnick
2008-10-22, 12:25 PM
Vaasa Gate

Commander Diordin sits there for a few seconds before finally responding to all the introductions. Wow, I would have figured the attempted assination of Lord Dragonsbane would have brought out more people. Well no time like the present to get down to business.

What we know is that the assassin is from the Green Talon. It was a sect of half-orcs that Zhygi used to train himself and used them for stealth and covert missions. During the last war they were belived to have been wiped out by the group that destroyed the Witch King himself. Although we never found there hideout as we were more focused on what was really going on, they have not been seen since. Until Now.

With them making a comeback and an attempt upon Lord Dragonsbane that could only mean someone is paying them a large amount of money to get him out of the way. My main concern would first be that no one has resurected the Witch King, however slim the chance that that could have happened, it is still always a possibility.

What I would like you to do is travel out towards the ruins of Castle Perilous and verify that no one has began using it as a base of operations. Make sure you bring proper preperations we are still at the tail end of winter, so at night out there on the plains the temperature drops well below -40.

As stated if you can bring the killer to justice you will be rewarded 500g. Just for coming and volunteering to scout the ruins you will each receive 50g. You will also be paid bounties on the creatures that you encounter, if they were servants of the Witch King.

Goblins - 1g
Orcs/Half Orcs 3g
Ogres 10g
Trolls 25g
Giants 50-100g

this is per right ear that you collect. You will report here at the north gate SOLEY to me.

Any questions?

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-22, 04:37 PM
Himo

"Sounds straight forward" muses the elf, "So how far is the journey to the ruins, and what transport is available to us? Im not looking forward to a night on the open planes, so would be best to spend as little time in the open as possible"

stupnick
2008-10-22, 04:57 PM
Vaasa Gate

The commander just laughs at the questions asked. After a few moments he finally manages up an answer. Well, I would assume it will take you about 5-8 days to get to the ruins, depending on your pace. As far as modes of transportation, your sitting on it. Your own two feet are the only thing that will possibly get you across the ice of Vaasa, most animals will simply break there legs if they try to walk across that stuff. I would suggest buying supplies to get you through it.

KingRexII
2008-10-22, 09:31 PM
Lex

Lex's face drops as he sticks his hand into his pocket. Still getting used to paying for things with a limited bankroll, he looks unsure that his four gold pieces are enough to buy the necessary supplies.

"Uh... perhaps an advance on that 500 gp is in order? For supplies, of course. I mean -- it would be a shame to waste time sending us out there only to find out a week or two later that we froze to death out there on the first day, right?" He tries to give a convincing, but weak, smile.

((If you need it, Diplomacy is at -1.))

J-H
2008-10-22, 10:28 PM
Leon
"I agree with the others. We will need proper supplies to get through this. Are we to pay for them from the advance, or do you have some that we can use?

Also, do you have a map? And a way to identify ourselves to any patrols we may encounter, so that they do not think that we are a part of the problem?"

stupnick
2008-10-22, 11:43 PM
Vaasa Gate

The commander thinks hard about the questions being asked to him, finally coming up with a response. I do believe we may be able to allow somewhat of an advance for the procurement of supples. I believe 25 gold should do for each of you.

As far as a map you should be able to purchase one at the local general store. Patrols? Well you won't run into any out there that are. You may run into other Adventurer's that are on the look out for richest, but no patrols in that wasteland.

Oh, and if you freeze to death, I guess we will just have to find more volunteer's willing to assist the Lord, and make a name for themselves.

Toliudar
2008-10-23, 10:17 AM
Aggro

The gruff-voiced halfling nods.

Right. I'm in. Gimme the twenty five gold. I'll be back in an hour, ready to move out. Right?

He glances around at his fellow recruits for confirmation.

stupnick
2008-10-23, 10:33 AM
Vaasan Gate

Commander Diordin tilts his head and looks over towards the small halfling that just spoke. And you are? I don't beleive we got the pleasure of your introduction. I'm suprised i didn't see you sneak in here with the rest, I'm normally good at that.

Toliudar
2008-10-23, 10:40 AM
Aggro

The halfling smiles. It doesn't make him seem friendlier.

I'm usually okay at making sure I don't get noticed. Aggro. People that like me call me "The Axe".

The six axes strapped to his chest and belt make further comment seem redundant.

So. Crazed half orc assassin. Trolls, goblins. Freezing to death. Possible rise of the forces of the Witch King. Collect right ears. Got it. Anything else?

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-23, 03:50 PM
Himo

"i think you have it exact, hafling... but can i suggest that any of us foolish enough to volunteer for this all pool our resources and purchase some sort of shelter such as a few tents. The idea of freezing to death sounds less than appealing"

stupnick
2008-10-23, 04:22 PM
Vaasan Gate

Well if there are no more questions, then I believe you should head out and get going. Give this to Palon, the store owner at the "Stuffed Sack" general store, He will set you up with what ever you shall need, or cash them out if you want the gold. The guard says as he throws down some small slips of paper. No writting visable other than a single signiture burned into it.

Toliudar
2008-10-23, 05:17 PM
Aggro

Aggro snatches up a slip, as if fearful that one of the others might grab them all. He grimaces at the others. He focuses on Himo and attempts a smile.

Right. See you back here in a bit, then? No way I can carry a tent, but I'd squeeze into a corner of yours, if there's room.

Not quite waiting for a response, the halfling is off.

Buying cold weather clothing and a lot more food - another 18 days' worth.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-23, 09:02 PM
Himo

thurning to his new travelling companions, the elf says "if you can all split the burden of the cost and carrying the wood, i will purchase us the tent to shelter in"

drum-n-bass
2008-10-23, 10:17 PM
Snatching up a slip of paper, he finds himself dazed about how he accepted an offer to trek through the ice. I would very much appreciate it if you would let me sleep in your tent, I will carry some wood and i can heal you if you get hurt. the halfling says to the elf. I think i will need to buy some shoes for once or my feet will freeze off.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-23, 11:26 PM
Himo

"haha... you'd run the risk of getting even smaller" jokes the elf as he takes a slip of paper, holding it up to the light to look through the burned signiture

"if you'd care to accompany me i'll be heading over to the stuffed sack to stock up on a few things"

KingRexII
2008-10-24, 08:02 PM
Lex

Lex grabs his voucher and calls out to Himo and Theo -- "Hold up! I'll join you guys. I... uh... might need some help buying the right things."

At the store, he'll buy:

{table]Item|Price
Cold Weather Gear|5
Crampons|2
Firewood & tent share|8
Rations (20 days)|10
Backpack|2
Bedroll|.1
Winter Blanket|.5
Waterskin|1
Total|28.6
[/table]

He looks at his change -- a mere 4 silver pieces -- and frowns. He scowls even more at the weight of his newly filled backpack. "This better be worth it..."

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-24, 09:55 PM
Himo

at the store the elf buys some neccisary supplies

cold weather gear type 2 15gp
crampons 2gp
winter Tent 20gp
17 days rations 8gp 5sp

cost total = 45gp 5sp (25gp being from slip)

and stores his explorers outfit and studded leather in his locker at the militia barracks - won't need you where i am going

ooc

sorry if its a bit clunky game-wise - just trying to off some unneccisary weight - hope its ok?

before heading back to the gate

drum-n-bass
2008-10-24, 10:06 PM
Theo

Theo scurries into the store looks at all the equipment and tells the shopkeep
I'll by cold weather gear type 2, crampons, 14 days trail rations, and 8 fire wood

? will find out

J-H
2008-10-25, 09:06 AM
Leon
Leon goes with the others to the store, quiet along the way as he ponders his options, although he does thank the party member who offered to buy the tent. When he gets there, he makes his selections.

Type 2 cold weather gear 15gp
crampons 2gp
Rations 4 gp (8 rations)
Firewood 5 days worth 5gp
Leon is now broke.

"If there are creatures on the ice, we may need to hunt them. Does anyone have a bow?"

Toliudar
2008-10-25, 09:14 AM
Aggro

Struggling under the weight of his additional supplies and the heavy winter clothing, Aggro trundles back towards the gate to await the others.

stupnick
2008-10-27, 09:59 AM
Vaasan Gate

Purchasing the necessary supplies you notice, not even once does the vendor do any kind of test on it or look at it twice. Everyone purchases what they are looking for, and before showing back up Himo stores his supplies back in his locker.

Arriving back at the gate, you give the guards notice that you would like to go through. They slowly proceed to open it after the guards up top verify that nothing dangerous is near. You see the gate open and proceed to head there, Almost immediately you notice a rather large monster jump up from under the snow and charge towards the gate, before you even have a chance to respond you see 10-15 bolts and a few different spells fly towards it stopping it in it's tracks.

With a large smile on his face the guard simply turns towards you and says Good Luck, as he closes the gate door.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-27, 12:11 PM
Himo

Adjusting the buckles and straps on his new winter gear, the elf says I've heard of being left in the cold before, but Commander Diordin is taking this to a new level. I suppose if he doesn;t show his face in the new few minutes we'll just have to get on with the journey at hand

stupnick
2008-10-27, 12:37 PM
map of bloodstone village

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/thumb/4/48/Bloodstone_Pass_Map.jpg/275px-Bloodstone_Pass_Map.jpg

Map of Vaasa

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL993/4285676/9009737/340533780.jpg

Himo

What were you waiting for Diordin for?

Toliudar
2008-10-27, 12:38 PM
Aggro

Aggro gives a wave of thanks to the watchful crossbowmen.

"Hmm. Fresh meat, maybe? If the spells haven't spoiled it."

Aggro trundles awkwardly through the snow towards the fresh kill, axe in hand. He cautiously examines the creature, trying to determine its nature, and confirm its non-mobile state. With trolls around, better safe than sorry.

stupnick
2008-10-27, 12:43 PM
Vaasan Gate

Aggro meaners forward and kicks the body a few times to make sure it isn't moving. It would seem the wizards have done a great job charing the corpse. Aggro manages to identify this thing as a snow troll. It's white skin and hair help it hide and ambush it's prey.

OOC

go ahead and roll skill checks yourself. i will roll hidden ones if needed

J-H
2008-10-27, 06:13 PM
Leon
Leon carefully studies the corpse, looking at its bone structure for any vulnerable points.

KingRexII
2008-10-27, 07:15 PM
Lex

Lex ducks and emits a squeaky yelp at the sudden burst of violence. He draws out his rapier and waves it toward the already dead troll, his head tucked underneath his other arm. Peeking between his fingers, he composes himself and fumbles his sword back into its scabbard. He cautiously approaches the troll, making sure to keep Aggro between himself and the troll. He looks around furtively before saying to the halfling, "Hey, you think it counts if we take this... uh... troll's right ear? Y'know -- we could use the cash and... uh... I don't think anyone else will be claiming it."

Toliudar
2008-10-27, 08:27 PM
Aggro

A slow smile crosses Aggro's face.

Huh. Good idea - Lex, was it.

A quick chop of the axe severs the ear. He stares closely at it for a moment to confirm that it wouldn't start growing into a full-sized troll, then dropped it into his bag. He slips the axe back onto its belt loop.

Right then. Not getting any warmer out here. Be off?

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-28, 12:16 AM
Himo

stupnick

i thought we were going to report to him... but oh well - on with adventuring, and frostbite and death and whatnot :smallbiggrin:

looking at his assembled travelling all wrapped up in their cold weather gear, the elf say, "Smallaxe may have it may have it right. I suggest we head south and through the Bloodstone pass to Darmshall before making the journey north. Treking straight over the mountains is not an appealling prospect, even if it is the most direct route"

stupnick
2008-10-28, 10:02 AM
OOC: Diordin just asked you to report your findings to him if you found anything.

Also... you are at the end of the bloodstone pass looking into Vaasa at the moment. Bloodstone itself lies in the pass, the gate barring Vaasa from entering into to. You are just south of the river that runs through it though. With it being Mirtul (May) the days are are cold (10-30F) and the nights freezing. By the end of this month it should want up during the day, Kythorn, Flamerule, and Eleasias the daytime temps run about 40-60, and the nights only get to 20-30 depending.

KingRexII
2008-10-28, 12:01 PM
Lex

The elf smiles down at the halfling, though startles slightly at the sight of his smile. Nonetheless, he looks pleased that they're already 25 gp richer without having to do much work. "Yeah... uh... let's get going. My viscera are starting to freeze."

He starts walking along ahead of the others before realizing that he doesn't really know where he's going. "Uh... maybe someone else should lead."

J-H
2008-10-28, 10:06 PM
Leon
Leon recalls the earlier briefing and decides that nothing was actually said about having to kill creatures, just encounter them... so it's OK to take the troll's ear.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-29, 10:46 AM
himo

"i've lead investigations before against ruthless murderers and thieves... Hopefully this experience won't involve so many crossbows being pointed at me. I'll take the lead if no one else objects?"

drum-n-bass
2008-10-29, 04:57 PM
Theo Ciderbottom

Sure, you can take the lead. I hope I don't freeze to death. the short, plump halfling says.

Toliudar
2008-10-29, 05:04 PM
Aggro

The halfling nods to Himo.

Go for it. I'll take rearguard.

KingRexII
2008-10-29, 07:29 PM
Lex

As they walk, the elf making sure to nestle himself in the middle of the group, Lex begins to bob his head in rhythm to the song in his head. He begins to hum quietly, and then a little bit louder. Eventually, he starts sings to himself. He sings poorly, but the tune is generally there.

Through yonder grove, by the spring that is running,
There you and I have so merrily played,
Kissing and courting and gently sporting,
Oh, my innocent heart you've betrayed!

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-30, 11:14 AM
Himo

ooc:

i'll take that DM boot in the bum and get this gig on the road

recognising one of the folk songs of his people, himo joins in the song and starts off down the path through the pass, walking a 15ft infront of the rest of the group, keeping any eye out for more movement and hidden dangers

stupnick
2008-10-30, 11:23 AM
Vaasa

Leaving the protection of the gate, you begin travelling through the plains of Vaasa. The day goes by slowly, The temperature seems steady but the wind picks up every once and a while, sending a shiver right through your survival gear. Finally the night comes. When you try to figure out how far you traveled you realize that it is alot less than you figured, it seems the cold slows your down. Instead of 4-6 days, you now figure it will take you 5-7 days.

It is finally camp time on the first night though.

KingRexII
2008-10-30, 12:35 PM
Lex

"What? You're saying it's going to take longer?" Weary and forlorn, he drops his bag in disgust, making a crater in the snow. "I didn't think I was going to make it through this day. There's only so many jaunty elven tunes that I remember!" He lies himself flat and spread out on the snow. He says to himself, "Man, being an adventurer is much more difficult -- and a great deal less glamorous -- than the bards would have you think."

He begins to flap his arms and legs, carving out a snow angel.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-30, 03:57 PM
Himo

the elf sets up the tent, asking for assistance from the others when neccisary, but trying not to bother them too much until the tent is up

"i think we can all take some shelter in here now. If we get a fire going and huddle together it hopefully shouldn't be too cold inside.

but... do any of you know how to hunt? I am skilled with a bow, but alas my tracking skills are pretty non-existant. I'd rather not rely on these trail rations. They usually taste like a dwarf's boot!"

unrapping one of the rations and eating away at the bland yet nutritious meal

Toliudar
2008-10-30, 04:05 PM
Aggro

The grim halfling crowds into a low patch of the tent, curling his legs under himself for warmth. He brings out his own rations to share around as well.

I guess four flavours of boring is better than one.

And yeah, guess we should add to the stock whenever we can. I wonder what snow trolll would a tasted like.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-30, 04:22 PM
Himo

trading a share of his days rations with the halfling, himo says

"If they taste as sour as they look, we'd all be sick for weeks! But as valuable as their ears are, i hope we don't have the chance to find out. Trolls are mean brutes and i'd prefer not to face any in combat if it can be helped"

KingRexII
2008-10-30, 05:00 PM
Lex

Gagging on his food, which he took out when he saw the others eating, he is able to get out between 'blechs': "But... uh... doesn't no trolls mean no extra gold? I don't know about you guys, I could use every piece." He passes his ration around. Showing his combat naivete, he says, "I mean those crossbowmen took out that one back there pretty quickly."

drum-n-bass
2008-10-30, 05:50 PM
Theo

Theo lays down in the tent. Almost falling asleep, he realizes he needs to eat. Taking out some trail rations, he looks at it for abit, then decides to eat it.

J-H
2008-10-30, 06:06 PM
Leon
"That's why I was asking if anyone had a bow back when we were in town..." *munch munch* "oh well."

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-01, 09:18 AM
Himo

i have a bow... and i can sneak up on a target no problems. Tracking them down would be the issue though

well, if no one else will volunteer i don't mind taking first watch while the rest of you sleep. 4 hours of meditation and i will be set for another days treck through the chill

Toliudar
2008-11-01, 10:06 AM
Aggro

The halfling wraps himself tightly in his bedroll.

Well, wake me for the last shift. And no, I got no idea how to track. Though, with this cold, a lot of critters are going to have gone to ground, yeah? You can't track what isn't moving around to begin with.

KingRexII
2008-11-01, 09:56 PM
Lex

The other elf harrumphs: "I don't think any amount of time in the trance will prepare me for another day of traipsing through this weather. Where's a nice cozy inn when you need one?

"Anyway, I'll take the next shift after Himo, here. I've always been more of a night owl in any case... although I don't think there's much to do around here at night. And as for tracking, uh... I'm no help. I can help find a footprint or two with these fine elven eyes, but they won't be telling me where those feet are going."

Finishing up his dinner, he starts adding details to his snow angel -- a halo here, some feathers there.

drum-n-bass
2008-11-01, 10:13 PM
Theo Ciderbottom

I would prefer not to do any night shifts, if that's ok. Although I could do an early morning shift. I'm no good at tracking, I can only find where a nearby tavern is by the smell of food and drink. An inn would be nice about now. After his dinner and the tent put up, Theo unravels his bedroll and starts to sleep, flail by his right side and still in his brown ankle-length tunic.

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-03, 04:26 PM
Himo

after everyone finishes there rations, and beds down for the night around the fire, the elf takes takes first watch in case anything goes BUMP in the night

KingRexII
2008-11-03, 06:02 PM
Lex

Lex stays up with Himo as he's planning on getting his sleep after his turn to watch. "So Himo. Been adventuring much? Any tips for a new-- uh... I mean... anything from your experience that could bolster my extensive knowledge of world..."

((By the way -- very clever use of the bump spell, Pancake.))

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-03, 07:07 PM
Himo

"If any fighting breaks out, keep out of the thick of it. With no offense intended, you don't seem like you've been in any bar room brawls in your time. That angry halfling seems more than eager to fight, and i've been part of the local militia for over half a decade... if we get into any trouble, keep behind us. I'll try and keep you out of danger - elves sticking together and all that"

KingRexII
2008-11-03, 07:30 PM
Lex

Lex shifts uncomfortably at the "bar room brawl" comment. He wasn't actually in the thick of it, but he certainly wasn't an innocent bystander. He nods enthusiastically at Himo's advice. "Right. I'm good at staying behind other people. I can do that." He pauses for a moments and sighs. With a touch of clear sincerity in his voice, he says, "I hope I'm not a complete stone around your neck. I mean I can do things -- helpful things. I... I just don't know how useful they'll be when something with fangs and claws comes jumping out at us."

"Truthfully, I'm just trying to survive."

Toliudar
2008-11-03, 08:04 PM
Aggro

Ignoring the "angry halfling" remark completely, Aggro grunts his appreciation of Lex' parting comment.

Yup. That's what it's all about, brother.

stupnick
2008-11-03, 10:52 PM
Vaasa

As you settle in for the night, you hear howls and all other sorts of noises going on. The night however for you goes uneventful

another post coming in the morning

stupnick
2008-11-04, 01:56 PM
Vaasa

Waking in the morning, you realize the days are slowly starting to get warmer. As you are beginning to break camp, you see a large pack of Winter Wolves chasing down a bear. After they capture and consme the large bear, they don't seem to notice you.

KingRexII
2008-11-04, 02:36 PM
Lex

As he finishes up his meditation for the days' spells, he steps outside for a breath of fresh air. Petrified at the sight of the hunt, he sidesteps back into the tent. "Uh... bear... uh... wolves... uh... killing. Help.

Toliudar
2008-11-04, 03:27 PM
Aggro

Aggro hunkers down low in the snow, axe in hand, watching the wolves circle the bear. He works hard to make himself less visible, and checks to see if they are currently down or upwind of the battle.

Aggro admires the teamwork and the precision of the wolves, but secretly roots for the underdog, er, bear, and is disappointed as he is torn to shreds. He remains absolutely still while watching, not moving until the wolves are well on their way again. He stretches, and sets to breaking camp again.

Yeah. I don't think hunting is our best bet.

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-04, 08:22 PM
Himo

"you may be right, hafling... and Lex? If those wolves attack, don't let yourself get seperated. They'll pick you off and chase you down if they can get you on your own. Wolves hunt with the same pack mentality as street thugs"

Taking down the tent after everyone has their gear re-packed and coldweather gear firmly buckled up against the cold.

"I wonder what made them attack the bear in the first place? surely there is easier prey to be had around here instead of other predators... and i for one don't want to be their next meal, so i suggest we move on. Quickly."

KingRexII
2008-11-04, 09:06 PM
Lex

As if he were trying to recite his lessons in school, he chants quietly to himself, "Stay behind people, stay with the group. Stay behind people, stay with the group..." He casts Endure Elements on himself, protecting himself from the bitter cold. He quickly packs the rest of his stuff along with his Cold Weather Gear, which he no longer needs for the day. He waits for the others to head off.

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-06, 10:08 PM
Himo

waiting for everyone to be packed up and ready, the elf leads a wide path around the winter wolves, trying to stay upwind and out of sight for as much as possible, and continue on the same direction they were going

J-H
2008-11-07, 11:38 PM
Leon
Leon follows, pondering what he could learn from the pack tearing the single powerful beast to shreds. That's why we work in groups. "I don't think wolves usually hunt other predators, do they?"

stupnick
2008-11-09, 05:56 PM
Heading to the north, the journey begins to get slightly easier as the time of the day goes by, and the weather get's warmer. Periodically during the day you see some wolves following you for a little bit, then they break off for about an hour or so, until you notice them again. This goes on for over half the day.

[perception checks please]

Toliudar
2008-11-09, 06:16 PM
Aggro spot check: [roll0]

drum-n-bass
2008-11-09, 06:59 PM
Theo Ciderbottom

Theo keeps an eye out for anything that might be coming up and his other eye on the road, after setting out from packing up and seeing the wolves.

[roll0]

J-H
2008-11-09, 07:31 PM
Leon
"I don't like how they keep following us. Either it's a hard winter or something's up."

He stops for a minute turns in a circle, using his Detect Evil ability to see if anything unusual is around.

[roll0]
[roll1]

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-09, 09:05 PM
Himo

spot - [roll0]
listen - [roll1]

"Mhmm, i dont like it either. I suggest we all keep your weapons handy, and be prepared to move quickly if we have to"

KingRexII
2008-11-09, 10:52 PM
Lex

At the sight of the wolves, all Lex could do is intone suspiciously, "Crap. Crap. Crap..." He takes his longbow out and uses it like a shield. He stays in the middle of the group, his head darting back forth.

[roll0]; [roll1]

J-H
2008-11-10, 12:13 AM
Leon
"Does anyone see any defensible high ground that we could make a run for if we are attacked?

They'll probably wait for nightfall, though."

stupnick
2008-11-10, 08:55 AM
Vaasa

As you are walking along, trying to keep an eye on the wolves Theo and Aggro notices that the first time there were 4 wolves, the next time you saw them they were up to 6, then the third time they increased again to 9. But as they glance back this time they only see 5 wolves. Upon looking around, Theo actually notices that 3 of them are now on the other side of the group, and it seems they are stalking you more closely.

As you look around for high ground, there really isn't anyplace that jumps out at you.

KingRexII
2008-11-10, 10:40 AM
Lex

"Can they climb trees? I don't mind sleeping in a tree for a night, Lex says worriedly. "Or maybe... uh... maybe we attack them before they attack us? I dunno..."

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-10, 10:45 AM
Himo

my fellow elf may have a point - how far away are the two groups? If we can take on the smaller group first before the bigger group closes in on us, we may stand a chance

stupnick
2008-11-10, 12:12 PM
Vaasa

Map 1 square = 10 feet

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL993/4285676/9009737/342567600.jpg

Your dot is your speech color, and the NPC's are grey.

You can tell they are just standard wolves, but they have pale grey, almost white fur that allows them to blend in rather well.

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-10, 12:35 PM
Himo

"We cant let them close in and surround us. Lex - stay with us, and fire at anything that gets close. You're about to get a leason in combat..."

taking initiative before the wolves can close in any further

drawing his longbowbow, the elf, lets loose an arrow at the nearest wolf from the smaller pack to the west

attacking wolf in B9 = approx 120ft away = 1 range incriment (ie:-2)

attack = 1d20+6-2
critical {if nesseccesary} 1d20+6-2
damage = [roll0]

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-10, 12:36 PM
Himo

silly maths

attack = 1d20+6 -2 for range

attack = [roll0]
critical {if nesseccesary} [roll1]

take damage from above box = 3

KingRexII
2008-11-10, 12:54 PM
Lex

"Couldn't we have had this lesson under more... uh... auspicious circumstances?"

He racks his brain for what he can do until he gets an idea -- he begins to chant.

[roll0] (if we need it)
Casting Sleep (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sleep.htm).
Curse you, casting time of 1 round! Thankfully, I don't have to choose targets until after the spell is finished casting. Generally, he'll want to target the bigger group of wolves to the southeast, trying to get as many of them as possible (up to 4 HD within 10' burst). Will negates, DC 15 (10 base + 1 Spell Level + 3 INT + 1 Spell Focus).

Toliudar
2008-11-10, 07:47 PM
Aggro

Bas'ards obviously haven't heard that halflings make lousy frozen meals.

Aggro tucks in closer to the others, and draws two of his axes. He waits until one is close enough, and throws.

Quick-draws two axes, then waits until the first wolf is within about 20', to throw one of them.

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

J-H
2008-11-11, 12:10 AM
Leon
Leon moves to get between the party and whichever group of wolves comes closer.
[roll0]

drum-n-bass
2008-11-16, 10:04 PM
Theo Ciderbottom

sorry been busy and gone for a while
and didn't seem to notice it. hm..

[roll0]

Theo pulls out his heavy flail and seems to cower away whilst flailing it around his head.

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-17, 12:27 AM
Himo

i believe ive got the highest initiative at 25

Seeing his companions ready themselves against the closing pack of wolves, the elf unleashes another arrow in direction of the same target

once again - shooting at wolf in b9 with longbow. Same -2 distance mod
crit on a 20

attack - 1d20+4r
crit {if neccessary} - 1d20+4r
damage - [roll0]

trying to use the r variable in my attack equations above to see if it will work. Disregard this next box if first box spat out some proper numbers

attack - 1d20+4r
crit {if neccessary} - 1d20+4r

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-17, 12:28 AM
Himo
AC = 18, touch =15 flat = 13
HP 9/9

the number crunching gods hate me

damage = 4

once again - shooting at wolf in b9 with longbow. Same -2 distance mod
crit on a 20

attack - [roll0]
crit {if neccessary} - [roll1]
damage = 4

stupnick
2008-11-17, 11:03 AM
OOC: Same map as before

Initiative Order is

Himo 25
Aggro 22
Wolves 19
Theo 16
Lex 14
Leon 5

Only 1 wolf looks hurt
B9 = 3 damage

Theo for not posting you lose 50 xp.

J-H
2008-11-17, 08:42 PM
Leon Init 5 AC 14 HP 11

Leon readies himself to attack the first wolf that comes into range

Ready action to move and attack the closest one, avoiding AOOs if possible (move distance up to 30 feet).

[roll0]
[roll1]

KingRexII
2008-11-17, 10:53 PM
Lex

The elf waits to see how well his Sleep spell affected the wolves before deciding what to do next. "So, Himo? What should I... uh... be doing now? I think I've got the staying out of combat and hiding part down." He knocks an arrow, but waits for his instructor before firing.

Init 14
AC 13, touch 13, flat 10
F: 1, R: 3, W: 3
No action for now -- Himo and the wolves act before Lex anyway. I want to see if he's got a reason to poke his head out of the pack.

Toliudar
2008-11-18, 02:19 AM
Aggro

Glancing back at Lex, Aggro continues to brace himself for the wolves' approach. He speaks through clenched teeth.

You might consider shooting them with your bow.

Continuing to hold his action until the wolves approach within 30'

stupnick
2008-11-18, 11:11 AM
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL993/4285676/9009737/343674159.jpg

The wolves charge in as quickly as possibly, especially with this ice you can tell they aren't moving how fast you would expect a wolf to run.

Two of them are actually able to get a charge off on Theo and Leon.

Attack on Theo [roll0] [roll1]
Trip Attempt [roll2]

Attack on Leon [roll3] [roll4]
Trip Attempt [roll5]

Both wolves horribly miss there attacks on there target's.

Wolf Damage Taken
#3 - 3 points

Leon and Aggro - You both held/readied as you can only ready a standard action, and leon readied to move and attack, i will change that to held action till they moved closer. Although Leon originally goes after them. You have two choices Leon. 1) take 1 standard action as they are charging in, you now go on initiative 19 just before the wolves. (no other action this round) or 2) you forgo that action and just take your normal whole round of actions on your normal initiative this round.

So you both go Now.

New Initiative Order
Himo 25
Wolves 19
Aggro 19
Theo 16
Lex 14
Leon 5

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-18, 12:36 PM
Himo

"Put as many of them to sleep as you can - then we'll go about picking off the strays... stay close!"

drum-n-bass
2008-11-18, 07:10 PM
Theo

Theo whips his flail at the wolf's face, one in front of him.

[roll0]
[roll1]

J-H
2008-11-18, 08:43 PM
Leon HP 11 AC 14 Init 19
Leon lashes out at the approaching wolf, attempting to cave its head in with his greatclub.

Init 19 due to readied action, moving right before the wolves do.
[roll0]
[roll1]

KingRexII
2008-11-18, 11:22 PM
Lex - Round 1

Taking the halfling's advice to heart, he says, "Oh, yes. Shoot. Well, uh... I'll try that then." He sidles up next to Aggro to get a clear shot and then lets his knocked arrow fly.

Depending on which of those wolves he put to sleep (but I think I'm shooting the batch Lex was not aiming at), he'll 5-foot-step to M14 and shoot at wolfie #2. Unless someone else gets in his way, he shouldn't get the shooting-into-melee penalty.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Did I ever specify where I'm targeting for the Sleep spell? I don't think so -- Q16 seems like the perfect place.

stupnick
2008-11-19, 12:38 AM
5 saving throws
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

#4 and #6 are sleeping.

xPANCAKEx
2008-11-19, 04:47 AM
Himo
AC = 18, Flat = 15 Touch = 13
HP = 9/9

Dropping his pack, the elf swiftly changes his bow for his rapier with a practiced ease and calls out

"good shot lex - you'll be turning these pups into pincushions in no time. Now let sleeping wolves lie, and save them till last"

as he moves into attack the smaller pack of wolves

drop backpack into m10, to go down light weight (assuming its a free action - theres nothing in my pack to break, and the tent/snow provides padding against anything getting dented)

move to I9 and attack wolf #1 in H10 - moving to avoid #3's threatened area

crit on roll of 24 or more. crit = x2 damage
attack - [roll0]
critical {if neccessary} - [roll1]
damage - [roll2]

Toliudar
2008-11-24, 05:00 PM
Aggro

Since the wolves are going before me, I'll lay out a few priorities, because my action is pretty dependent on what the wolves do.

Priorities:
1. Not drawing attacks of opportunity as I move.
2. Getting one attack in.
3. Getting into a flanking position with someone (probably Leon, but perhaps Theo)
4. Getting a second attack in (ie, taking only a 5' step, if possible)

If he can't move and get into a flanking position, he'll instead hurl an axe at a not-sleeping wolf, and draw another one. If he throws the axe, add one to the attack roll below. If he attacks with two weapons, reduce the first attack roll by 2.

[roll0] Attack 1
[roll1] Crit confirmation on 20
[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Extra damage on a critical hit
[roll4] Sneak attack damage

[roll5] Attack 2
[roll6] Crit confirmation on 20
[roll7] Damage
[roll8] Extra damage on a critical hit
[roll9] Sneak attack damage

Watching the wolves dive forward in the deep snow, Aggro grits his teeth and prepares for the blood of battle. The halfling draws another axe as he struggles forward through the snow.