PDA

View Full Version : halila

ridly
2008-10-15, 05:57 PM
You know the dwarf that durkon did you know what with, well do you thinck she will come back

and if you do, will it be with a baby?

oops its hilgia

Mc. Lovin'
2008-10-16, 01:53 PM
Nah ... I think that'd be a bit too much straying from it's fantasy core. Sure, a bit of drama here and there is nice, but nothing too drastic.

Linkavitch
2008-10-16, 02:28 PM
Durkon'd think "Well, Thor understands." And it wouldn't bother him much, other then the fact that Hilgya ran away from her husband, and that she's a cleric of Loki, maybe.

donkyhotay
2008-10-16, 02:37 PM
I don't know, rich is pretty good about pulling up old things that (he hopes) everyone has forgotten about. I mean it took 224 comics for the belt of gender changing to make it's comeback. I think hilgya will eventually come back however I'm uncertain if it will be good or bad for durkon.

Belkster11
2008-10-16, 05:16 PM
I think the next time Hilgya comes back, she ain't gonna be happy with Durkon.

But it's been what? 416 strips since we last saw her? If we WERE gonna see her again, I would think we've saw her by now. Durkon doesn't really get a big story arc of his own (Like with Hinjo vs Kubota). Now, things are getting heated up with V leaving and Roy's potentially getting raised within the next 20 or so strips. Like Nale said during the Battle of Azure City: "There's just too many people involved here". The story of a female dwarf who may be pregnant with (or already given birth to) Durkon's hypothetical child would just send things into a screeching halt.*

Not that I'm saying the Giant can't work her into a future story arc or anything.

Funny...I was just re-reading that part with her and Durkon alone. Coincidence, much?

*It's been how many months since Durkon last saw Hilgya? If she WAS pregnant with his baby, the kid's probably a few months old at least.

Studoku
2008-10-16, 05:37 PM
Nah ... I think that'd be a bit too much straying from it's fantasy core. Sure, a bit of drama here and there is nice, but nothing too drastic.
She'll have a convenient miscarriage and, after a few strips of angst, everyone will forget about it and the strip will go back to humour.

Belkster11
2008-10-16, 05:51 PM
Miscarriage is not a thing that can be over with in a couple of strips. Check CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Ladorak
2008-10-16, 06:25 PM
I did, apparently it can

TigerHunter
2008-10-16, 07:03 PM
I did, apparently it can
. <-- the point

O <-- your head

What he meant was, it can't be over and done with in a couple of strips if it's written by someone with a modicum of talent and awareness of the emotional impact of such things.

Ladorak
2008-10-16, 07:15 PM
I think that might be a little overly harsh; a modicum is a very small amount, I'd say more like a quantum. But that said this is hardly the forum for such a debate

Theodoriph
2008-10-16, 07:25 PM
She'll have a convenient miscarriage and, after a few strips of angst, everyone will forget about it and the strip will go back to humour.

Err...she would have given birth by now.

Haleyintraining
2008-10-16, 07:57 PM
So, a miscarriage is out. Maybe it was born with a lethal disease, but that seems a bit heavy for the strip.

David Argall
2008-10-17, 12:35 AM
I don't know, rich is pretty good about pulling up old things that (he hopes) everyone has forgotten about. I mean it took 224 comics for the belt of gender changing to make it's comeback. I think hilgya will eventually come back however I'm uncertain if it will be good or bad for durkon.
Now it was obvious from the start that the belt was going to be showing up again. It was just a matter of when. Hilga tho had a moderately final scene. Her part is not incomplete if we never see her again.
Now we still might. But it likely won't be until the party goes after the last gate in dwarven lands. So we are talking another 300 strips. [Tho the talk about cleric of Loki in Greyski warns us not to be too sure] But when we do get there, Hilga might be waiting for Durkon, with an armful.

OITS
2008-10-17, 04:19 AM
Does anyone really know how long pregnancy lasts at other races, especially dwarves?

R.O.A.
2008-10-17, 12:02 PM
If it's not in the player's handbook, I'd be shocked if it's not in the book of EF. I'm sure someone on here has a copy...

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-17, 12:16 PM
If it's not in the player's handbook, I'd be shocked if it's not in the book of EF. I'm sure someone on here has a copy...

If it's not in any core source, then Dwarven pregnancy lasts as long as it needs to for Rich to make it work.

Her part is not incomplete if we never see her again.

I'm going to have to disagree. You can't have them both just wander off all depressed like and then forget about it. Hilgya is going to have to come back...(or at least be mentioned).

OtOotPCs spoiler:
Durkon still has to bring great misfortune to his Dwarven homelands.

fangthane
2008-10-17, 01:09 PM
Ummm...

I acknowledge the accuracy of that Origin spoiler, but would you not agree with me on this one?
I'd say that arriving with Xykon's army, whether at his heels or due to his having helped thwart the lich's ambitions at the penultimate gate, would qualify for the prophecy, no?

I agree with DA on this one though. I wouldn't be overly surprised if she does come back at some stage, in some capacity, but I wouldn't count on it either; and my overall enjoyment of the comic will not be impaired by a lack of knowledge regarding the full details of her subsequent life. We might see her again, we might not - but in any case there's nothing in dire need of resolution or exposition per se. Not like with Nale and Thog, who most assuredly will re-appear at some point.

One final point; it never ceases to astonish me how people can butcher a name they've seen typed out. HILGYA. Not quite as bad as the people talking about Zyclon the lich, I suppose, but still...

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-17, 01:40 PM
I acknowledge the accuracy of that Origin spoiler, but would you not agree with me on this one?
I'd say that arriving with Xykon's army, whether at his heels or due to his having helped thwart the lich's ambitions at the penultimate gate, would qualify for the prophecy, no?

Well, that would be the obvious way to fulfill the prophecy. But prophecies usually don't come true in obvious ways.
Besides, Durkon has to return his Dwarven lands posthumously

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-10-17, 01:42 PM
Does anyone really know how long pregnancy lasts at other races, especially dwarves?

Dwarven pregnancy lasts two years.

At least according to the Book of Erotic Fantasy. :smallredface:

So Hilgya would either be half-way through her pregnancy if Rich uses that book, or Hilgya and Durkon's Love Child would be about three months old if Rich uses a "standard" 9 months gestation.

I'm one of those who feels that at 54, Durkon is quite unlikely to keep a "Dwarven Defender" in his wallet. If he were a young buck of 25 or so, maybe... And since I can see the humor in straight-laced Durkon and free-spirited (for a dwarf) Hilgya arguing of the best way to raise a child I see a LOT of potential for Hilgya to have a bigger part in the story.

That's one of the parts of D&D that tends to be set aside: Saving a village full of farmers leads to farmers trying to marry off extra daughters to "Our Heroes," but not so much about the consequences of married and parental heroes and their families "Back Home."

I think that's why so many heroes are "Orphans" even though they may come from well-to-do backgrounds.

Theodoriph
2008-10-17, 02:59 PM
Dwarven pregnancy lasts two years.

At least according to the Book of Erotic Fantasy. :smallredface:

So Hilgya would either be half-way through her pregnancy if Rich uses that book, or Hilgya and Durkon's Love Child would be about three months old if Rich uses a "standard" 9 months gestation.

I'm one of those who feels that at 54, Durkon is quite unlikely to keep a "Dwarven Defender" in his wallet. If he were a young buck of 25 or so, maybe... And since I can see the humor in straight-laced Durkon and free-spirited (for a dwarf) Hilgya arguing of the best way to raise a child I see a LOT of potential for Hilgya to have a bigger part in the story.

That's one of the parts of D&D that tends to be set aside: Saving a village full of farmers leads to farmers trying to marry off extra daughters to "Our Heroes," but not so much about the consequences of married and parental heroes and their families "Back Home."

I think that's why so many heroes are "Orphans" even though they may come from well-to-do backgrounds.

A] The BoEF isn't a D&D book. It's not even a d20 book. It wasn't licensed by WoTC. Its rules aren't applicable to D&D based world.

B] The BoEF is 3.0 ed

C] In the BoEF, a dwarf's gestation period is 12 months. An elf's if 24 months.

D] The gestation periods in the BoEF make no sense anyway.

Castamir
2008-10-17, 03:36 PM
D] The gestation periods in the BoEF make no sense anyway.
... or the whole rest of the book.

See, I do have a beef with "cold iron" and "mithral", but d20 in general is pretty reasonable. BoEF, on the other hand is neither playable, consistent, balanced, reasonable nor, especially... erotic.

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-17, 03:41 PM
A] The BoEF isn't a D&D book. It's not even a d20 book. It wasn't licensed by WoTC. Its rules aren't applicable to D&D based world.

I'd say it's a d20 book, seeing how it uses THE GODDAMN D20 RULES.

M&M is certainly a d20 book, and it wasn't licensed by WotC either. Hell, it is less applicable to a D&D-based world.

hamishspence
2008-10-17, 03:42 PM
WoTC have mentioned gestation periods in books: typically the same as humans. Elves, for example, in Races of The Wild.

Theodoriph
2008-10-17, 03:53 PM
I'd say it's a d20 book, seeing how it uses THE GODDAMN D20 RULES.

M&M is certainly a d20 book, and it wasn't licensed by WotC either. Hell, it is less applicable to a D&D-based world.

No it wasn't. It was licensed under the Open Game License. Wizards withdrew persmission from the BoEF to be licensed under d20. You'd say wrong.

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=10243&mode=thread

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-17, 04:03 PM
It's not a d20 System License book. It's still a d20 book, because it uses the mechanics of d20 system.

Just because it's not licensed under that system doesn't mean it doesn't belong to the system. M&M certainly does.

Theodoriph
2008-10-17, 04:09 PM
It's not a d20 System License book. It's still a d20 System book, because it uses the mechanics of d20 System.

Just because it's not licensed under that system doesn't mean it doesn't belong to the system. M&M certainly does.

I never once claimed it didn't use the system. Obviously the OGL makes use of the d20 system. However, a book being a d20 book is a very specific type of book. It's a book licensed by wizards. The BoEF wasn't. You're wrong. Move on, so we can get back to the issue at hand. That being...the outcome of Hilgya and her possible child/pregnancy.

WoTC have mentioned gestation periods in books: typically the same as humans. Elves, for example, in Races of The Wild.

That sounds sensible. Two years never made sense. In BoEF, they probably decided that just because Elves lived for long periods of time, they should have a long gestation period and completely disregarded other aspects (e.g. size, brain/head size, complexity, fully functional offspring or infantile offspring etc.)

If dwarves existed in real life, their gestation period would probably be around the same as Humans and Elves.

P.S I'll reply to the following post in this post.

The problem with your logic is that you were replying to me and not the other way around. And I did mention its license. I said, "It's not even a d20 book. It wasn't licensed by WoTC." So if I take what you said above (below) to be true, then you misunderstood what I meant by the term. That doesn't make you any less wrong, but it is much more forgivable. You should have asked what I meant by the term before ranting on though.

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-17, 04:16 PM
A book that is a d20 System License book is a specific type of book. Nothing stops a book from not being under that license and not using the d20 rules, thus, being a d20 book.

Notice I never mentioned its license (hell, I had no idea non-WotC books had that license). I just mentioned it's a "d20 book", which has no specific meaning other than a book that uses the d20 system.

Though that does mean I should go edit my last post. *goes to edit*

snoopy13a
2008-10-17, 04:42 PM

In this case, as long as The Giant wants it to last.

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-17, 04:46 PM
In this case, as long as The Giant wants it to last.

Isn't that the case with everything in OotS? :smalltongue:

David Argall
2008-10-17, 06:33 PM
Not entirely.

Technically and legally, our writer can do as he pleases. But he wants us reading and that means he needs to please us. [Yes, that can be done by making us mad, but...] That means a due respect for D&D rules for one thing. He does not let them get in the way of the story, and we don't want him to, but he still has to pay attention to them. So if there was a chart in MM or DMG mentioning gestation times, he would likely use it.

However in our current case, there is no chart, and most of us have only casual opinions on the subject. So our writer is in practical terms a lot freer to make the gestation whatever time fits his whim.

& it is rather clear that Hilgya and child makes for much more interesting events than just Hilgya coming back. So if she does come back, there is a good chance it won't be alone.