PDA

View Full Version : Creating Characters in Module Games

LibraryOgre
2008-10-16, 09:17 AM
This is something that I've had a bit of trouble with, and wanted to get some input on. Simply put, how do you create a reasonably deep character in a campaign set around a module that you know nothing about?

I'll give a couple examples.

We played through The Red Hand of Doom (at least, I was there for the early parts of it; don't know if the rest of the group finished it). I create a goblin ranger, largely because he seemed like he'd be a fun character to play (since we started at 5th, my ranger already had his wolf-mount; he was a little bit less fun and unique because of the halfling druid who rode a dog, but that's beside the point). However, aside from that, the character had no real background... I was essentially playing a schtick, "Belkar the Goblin". Now, once Rakleb (not actually his name) got splatted, I made a character who fit in with the world a bit better (a half-giant warblade), because I had some ideas about what was going on and how a person would fit into that.

We're currently in Keep on the Shadowfell, and my character is a human wizard. Again, I'm playing a schtick... frost and thunder, with a healthy helping of arrogance towards idiots. I have no idea who this guy is, or where he comes from, leading him to feel like stats on a page, instead of a character.

How do you create a good background when you know nothing about the world?

Duke of URL
2008-10-16, 09:26 AM
Well, hopefully the DM has read through the entire module before starting play... assuming that is true, then the players should work with the DM to develop backstory that fits the module.

Alternatively, make up backstory on your own using your group's normal settings, and give the DM enough time to tailor the module to that background/setting.

Saph
2008-10-16, 09:40 AM
Firstly, it's always a good idea to set a module in the campaign world the group's most familiar with. For instance, for Red Hand of Doom the book gives advice on where it could be located in FR, Eberron, or Greyhawk. My group likes Forgotten Realms, so our Red Hand of Doom is in the Forgotten Realms, just south of the Shaar and north of Halruaa.

Second, I guess your non-module campaigns must run differently from mine, because I normally take for granted when I make a character that I'm going to be entering an adventure I know nothing about. For me it's not "my character already fits into what's happening", but "okay, here's a character, I wonder what's going to happen to him once the game kicks off?"

I usually have a background, personality etc that don't tie directly in to the campaign, at least not to begin with. If the campaign runs long enough, then the character will naturally become more integrated to the campaign world, but that's not something you can rush IMO.

- Saph

Darrin
2008-10-16, 10:24 AM
Simply put, how do you create a reasonably deep character in a campaign set around a module that you know nothing about?

There's a good reason why cliches get used so much: they work over and over again. Roll 1d4:

1) Amnesia. Your character suffered some horrible accident, and can only remember a few snippets about his background: maybe his name, some likes/dislikes, but the rest is blank. While this is something of a cheat around actually creating a detailed backstory, it does allow you to backfill as you play through the campaign and learn more about the world. Also, some DMs really love this gimmick because it allows them to weave your backstory into their own plots and intrigues, drawing your character into the story and giving him a reason to investigate further. The downside is you give a lot of DM control over your backstory, and may be unhappy with whatever the DM comes up with.

2) Ignorant Farmboy. Your character grew up in a very small isolated rural community, a remote monastery, or a slave prison, so he knows hardly anything about the rest of the world around him. Make up a generic village, and play up the "well shucks, you fancy-shmancy cityfolk sure do have some peculiar habits" folksy redneckisms. Ok, so your background is probably going to be mind-numbingly dull, but hey, even Luke Skywalker had to start somewhere.

3) Stranger in a Strange Land. Your character fell through a magical portal that sent him to an alternate plane he has never seen before. He may be trying to get back home, pursuing an interdimensional assassin, or trying to find acceptance and understanding in this new world. If you don't want to do the alternate plane thing, then trapped in a time stasis for a couple thousand years should work just as well.

4) Delusional. Your character lives in a *really elaborate* alternate fantasy world within his own head. He appears to be unfamiliar with the campaign world because he was raised by the purple spidermonkeys that live at the center of the sun, who of course were really behind the great conspiracy to replace all copper pieces with shiny blue pebbles just after the God of Quality Footwear crowned him as Emperor of the Dragon Weevils. If need be, you can cure him later after you become more familiar with the campaign world.

LibraryOgre
2008-10-16, 10:36 AM
Second, I guess your non-module campaigns must run differently from mine, because I normally take for granted when I make a character that I'm going to be entering an adventure I know nothing about. For me it's not "my character already fits into what's happening", but "okay, here's a character, I wonder what's going to happen to him once the game kicks off?"

It's not that I know what's going to happen in the module... it's that I know nothing about the world itself, and we tend to slide on which particular world we're on.

kamikasei
2008-10-16, 10:38 AM
I'll echo others here in saying that the DM should be able to tell you enough about the world in which the module takes place that you can create a character who fits in.

valadil
2008-10-16, 10:54 AM
When I'm in a short term or modular game I play a charicature instead of a character. Just pick some traits and roll with them. Granted I'd rather have a nice, deep character but I have trouble playing deep in a shallow campaign.

Hzurr
2008-10-16, 11:27 AM
One issue with KotS, is that it doesn't really provide any world-context. Since it was the first thing published in 4E, after the major rules reset but before anything had been established with the world, the "You start on a road and get attacked by kobalds" beginning of it gives you roughly the same amount of information that the DM has about the world and surrounding countryside. KotS was meant for a quick "here's a 4E adventure!" thing, not "here's something that takes place in a larger, deeper world." The Module references things like an old human empire (It starts with an 'N' I think), or a town called Fallcrest, but there's no information on what these places are.

That being said, a good DM should go and create a world that the module fits in, and provide the players with background information so that they can create their characters accordingly. I have a sinking feeling that you do not have one of these "Good" DMs. :smallwink:

Saph
2008-10-16, 11:51 AM
It's not that I know what's going to happen in the module... it's that I know nothing about the world itself, and we tend to slide on which particular world we're on.

In that case, I'd recommend Red Hand of Doom's approach. The idea is that the module is set in whatever campaign world the DM and players use most already - you just pick which one.

- Saph

Satyr
2008-10-16, 12:05 PM
You can also give the players the chance to write the background they need for their characters. Create the gaming world in cooperation. That can be quite fun and lead to more commitment of the group for the campaign.

LibraryOgre
2008-10-16, 12:50 PM
That being said, a good DM should go and create a world that the module fits in, and provide the players with background information so that they can create their characters accordingly. I have a sinking feeling that you do not have one of these "Good" DMs. :smallwink:

Oh, I know my DM is no good. After all, he even has to make up a fiancee. :smallwink:

Seriously, though, this isn't a HUGE problem... and it may somewhat be a reaction to how I've long played. My first game of D&D in Texas (fourteen years ago, now... I just realized my D&D hobby can vote in this election), the DM told us our character's backgrounds... put us in the context of the world. After that, we knew the world well enough to put ourselves in the context of the Forgotten Realms... we knew about our deities, a bit about the section of the world we were in, usw. When I was in college and playing Palladium, we knew the world. "You're in the Western Empire" or "You're CS soldiers" tells you who you are and a bit about your motivation.

"You're on a road and being attacked by kobolds" doesn't do that. ;-)

Waspinator
2008-10-16, 01:18 PM
In that case, I'd recommend Red Hand of Doom's approach. The idea is that the module is set in whatever campaign world the DM and players use most already - you just pick which one.

- Saph

Yeah, I like it when they do that. I think they did it for Paizo paths too, didn't they?

*searches*

Here we go:
http://paizo.com/dungeon/resources/downloads
Eberron and Forgotten Realms conversion stuff for Dungeon's adventure paths.

KevLar
2008-10-16, 01:19 PM
Well, while it is possible to think of a character background and personality without knowing all that much about the world (assume it's a generic world and start imagining stuff), I definitely prefer knowing all the relevant context in advance. Then again, I haven't played a module in years - I'm a fan of homebrew worlds.

In that case, I suggest talking with your DM. Ask him if the world has a specific "feel" - is it grim and gritty, horror, heroic, optimistic, funny? Some of these may refer to the game, but any game should be relevant and derive from the world it's set in. And then go on asking particular questions.

- High, I want to play a goblin. How are goblins viewed in this world? Has there been a conflict recently? Would my character expect to be shot on sight if he walked in this or that city?
- High, I want to play a happy-go-lucky fellow. Would I stand out, because there's a brutal tyranny in power, would I be considered normal, because this is an Age of Exploration and Adventure, or what?
- High, I want my character to have survived a horrible tragedy. What would you suggest?
- High, I want to play a holy warrior. What is holy in this world, and what are my church's enemies?
- High, I want to play a ranger. What favored enemies would make sense?

...Things like that. I feel your pain (:smalltongue:), but if the DM is co-operative and doesn't focus exclusively on "finishing the module" but likes giving context to stuff, I believe it's manageable. :smallsmile:

skywalker
2008-10-16, 01:36 PM
One issue with KotS, is that it doesn't really provide any world-context. Since it was the first thing published in 4E, after the major rules reset but before anything had been established with the world, the "You start on a road and get attacked by kobalds" beginning of it gives you roughly the same amount of information that the DM has about the world and surrounding countryside. KotS was meant for a quick "here's a 4E adventure!" thing, not "here's something that takes place in a larger, deeper world." The Module references things like an old human empire (It starts with an 'N' I think), or a town called Fallcrest, but there's no information on what these places are.

Have you read the back of the DMG? They completely lay out the town of Fallcrest, and the surrounding countryside, even giving the location of the KotS.

I like the idea of having my players come up with a BS they think is cool, then building the world somewhat around that. So we're being more "collaborative."

Hzurr
2008-10-16, 02:35 PM
Have you read the back of the DMG? They completely lay out the town of Fallcrest, and the surrounding countryside, even giving the location of the KotS.

Are you serious?

Well dang...I feel like a slacker. *makes mental note to read that part of the dmg as soon as he gets home.*

Oh, I know my DM is no good. After all, he even has to make up a fiancee.

Hey, just because you choose to stay away when she's in town doesn't mean that I made her up. And given the choice between fiancee or d&d night, I'm of the opinion that I made the right choice. She's slightly cuter than you (but only slightly :smallwink:).

LibraryOgre
2008-10-16, 02:43 PM
Hey, just because you choose to stay away when she's in town doesn't mean that I made her up. And given the choice between fiancee or d&d night, I'm of the opinion that I made the right choice. She's slightly cuter than you (but only slightly :smallwink:).

Bros before hos, Hzurr. Bros before hos.*

And besides, you haven't seen me with my new haircut. Your imaginary fiancee will be so disappointed at your broken heart. ;-)

*Before anyone asks, I in no way actually subscribe to this philosophy. If he blew off his fiancee in order to play D&D, I'd smack him vigorously. I'm just sad that, once she moves out here, he's going to take his inner geek out back, shoot it in the head, and bury it in a shallow grave.

arguskos
2008-10-16, 02:54 PM
Bros before hos, Hzurr. Bros before hos.*

And besides, you haven't seen me with my new haircut. Your imaginary fiancee will be so disappointed at your broken heart. ;-)

*Before anyone asks, I in no way actually subscribe to this philosophy. If he blew off his fiancee in order to play D&D, I'd smack him vigorously. I'm just sad that, once she moves out here, he's going to take his inner geek out back, shoot it in the head, and bury it in a shallow grave.
Shallow graves mean easy access. :smallwink:

-argus