PDA

View Full Version : D20 Modern advice

slexlollar89
2008-10-16, 09:18 AM
Hello. I have wanted to do a D20 modern campaign for a while now, and I wanted to know what the playground's general consensus is abou that system. My players and myself are pretty much DnD3.5/homebrew conditioned, and I have played one or two modern games.

Is it well done as a system?
Anything in particular to pay attention to when making the shift and re-learning those rules?
Any advice on how to run it (style differences etc.)?
Are monsters difficult to run, specifically in the modern setting (i usually make up random ability toting creatures to fight in my 3.5 game)?

I don't have the actual modern book in hardcopy, but me and the players all have a PDF version of the modern book. I also heard about about a D20 future book with some cool stuff in it too, but I've never seen it.

Krrth
2008-10-16, 09:35 AM
There are some serious differences to play style that you will need to watch out for. One of the biggest is the change in loot: You have a wealth trait, you don't get "Treasure" by encounter. (our you do, but if it's u nder your wealth rating it doesn't count). Anything that has a price of 15 or higher permently reduces your wealth....this includes most firearms.

The classes are extremly different. Each class is generic and keys off of an attribute.

The monsters are in the main book...read the description carefully, as they are slightly different than in the MM.

D20 future is a must have for anything dealing with Hi-Tech.

Did you have any specific questions?

Neon Knight
2008-10-16, 02:07 PM

Ultimately, D20 Modern is average and competent, but not memorable or compelling in of itself. There is no reason you should play D20 Modern in particular, and there is no reason you should not. It does nothing shockingly bad, but it does nothing particularly well.

There are things I could rant about- the weapon design in particular attracts my ire- but ultimately these are personal issues. You can have a lot of fun with D20 Modern, it's just that the fun you do have will probably not be due to the system itself.

I do prefer Advanced classes to Prestige classes, but otherwise I can't think of anything unique to D20 Modern that I like.

Anything in particular to pay attention to when making the shift and re-learning those rules?

Wealth can be a pain. I prefer ditching wealth and abstracting monetary problems, or just playing campaigns were money isn't a problem.

Run it how you want to run it. Somewhere out there, there is a group using Paranoia to play a dead-straight serious game with logical explanations for everything. And they're having a blast. Run what works.

Are monsters difficult to run, specifically in the modern setting (i usually make up random ability toting creatures to fight in my 3.5 game)?

Not really. I'm not sure I understand the question exactly, but nothing about D20 Modern makes running monsters difficult. Well, I have an aversion to the 3.5/D20 trend of statting out every function of a monster, but that's more a function of its rules heavy/verisimilitude attitude.

I don't have the actual modern book in hardcopy, but me and the players all have a PDF version of the modern book. I also heard about about a D20 future book with some cool stuff in it too, but I've never seen it.

Most communities and players I have found display little else than contempt and dislike for D20 Future. I think the most common specific complaints are about the damage values of spacecraft and nukes, or something along those lines. I've never looked at it, but that's because almost everyone I've asked has said "Skip it."

Return of Lanky
2008-10-16, 09:17 PM

It's well done d20, if you'd like your characters to have a bigger focus on their actions and less on their abilities. Sure, there are certain situations where one hero will be a better fit for a situation than another, but the characters in d20 Modern have a pretty decent amount of flexibility.

The system does grim and gritty well, played right. It can also be semi-heroic.

The most important thing to remember is that d20 Modern looks, feels, and in many ways PLAYS like D&D3E or 3.5E... but it is NOT Dungeons and Dragons. Characters are a lot more squishy and weapons are a lot more lethal. Facing down a minor demon is a mighty feat in this game. The characters lack the magical firepower for the end-game, not to mention lacking the healing and buffing.

Run it kind of like you'd run a game of D&D with a party of pure Fighters. They can kick some ass, but they don't have the magic or healing to take on some of the tougher creatures in the book. Err on the side of caution, until you get a good feel for how Action Points and the various Talents help the heroes in a fight.

Monsters are generally rare. You're probably going to want to get used to pre-generating human foes. I typically keep a few assorted "rough" types, a couple levels below the PCs, which I can use for thugs, guards, or police officers. Likewise, keep a few "rough" types handy which are a couple levels higher than the PCs, for those incidences when the party decides to bumrush a mob boss.

These pre-genned characters should essentially just be a minimum stat-block with a couple of equipment options, so you can plunk down a ready-made foe whenever the situation calls for it.