PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Vow of Poverty Druid/Forest Master

PtolemySage
2008-10-16, 02:01 PM
Is this possible? I know I'm definitely going to take Vow of Poverty but I'd also like to take the Forest Master prestige class (Faźrun setting). The biggest problem I see is that the Forest Master uses a maul as his primary weapon if you want to make the most out of him. A maul actually has a value unlike a quarterstaff or sling which the BoED says a character with VoP may use. I know if I asked my DM on his opinion, he'd allow it because he's pretty easy going. I needed to get some expert opinions. Help? :smallfrown:

Starbuck_II
2008-10-16, 02:03 PM
Is this possible? I know I'm definitely going to take Vow of Poverty but I'd also like to take the Forest Master prestige class (Faźrun setting). The biggest problem I see is that the Forest Master uses a maul as his primary weapon if you want to make the most out of him. A maul actually has a value unlike a quarterstaff or sling which the BoED says a character with VoP may use. I know if I asked my DM on his opinion, he'd allow it because he's pretty easy going. I needed to get some expert opinions. Help? :smallfrown:

Can you decribe how the FM uses a maul?

Yes, a maul is not free or a simple weapon: remember you can buy crossbows (cost money) because they are simple.

If the DM is houseruling mauls as simple, cool.

PtolemySage
2008-10-16, 02:09 PM
When you take the Forest Master prestige class, you gain proficiency with mauls. At 2nd level, a Forest Master's maul becomes infused with power as he gains experience and strengthens his connection with Silvanus. This would not increase the value of the maul whatsoever because it is only enchanted when you wield it. It becomes a +2 Maul with shock or frost properties and eventually will become +3 with even greater shock and/or frost properties.

PtolemySage
2008-10-16, 02:12 PM
When you take the Forest Master prestige class, you gain proficiency with mauls. At 2nd level, a Forest Master's maul becomes infused with power as he gains experience and strengthens his connection with Silvanus. This would not increase the value of the maul whatsoever because it is only enchanted when you wield it. It becomes a +2 Maul with shock or frost properties and eventually will become +3 with even greater shock and/or frost properties.

And I feel like an idiot because I just realized that the effect probably won't stack with the Exalted Strike that you gain. *facepalm*

monty
2008-10-16, 02:15 PM
And I feel like an idiot because I just realized that the effect probably won't stack with the Exalted Strike that you gain. *facepalm*

Well, Exalted Strike eventually goes above +3, and it does stack with the frost/shock. So you still gain benefits from both, just not as much.

PtolemySage
2008-10-16, 02:56 PM
I guess I can just say that my character must keep his maul because to give it up would be to go against Silvanus' will and so I have a special circumstance...or something...:smallconfused:

Thanks for your input, guys!

BardicDuelist
2008-10-16, 03:05 PM
Well, the main question with a DM making any exception, especially in 3.5 where people try to pull off silly combos that could destroy the multiverse at level one, is, "Is it balanced?"

If I were your DM and gave out average treasure per level, I would say "yes." It doesn't let one do anything that a normal druid with the PRC but appropriate WBL can do. In fact, it is less powerful than a normal Druid/Forest Master. Thus, unless one views RaW as god (which is silly, in my opinion...although that would make a good character...), or have players that say, "Well you made this exception for him/her, so why won't you make an exception for me so that I can have ultimate power?" there is no real reason not to allow it.

Person_Man
2008-10-16, 03:23 PM
OK, I just read through Forest Master, which is in Faiths and Pantheons (3.0 material) pg. 193.

The PrC has 8/10 caster progression, 7/10 BAB, and doesn't progress Wild Shape or Animal Companion. It also has ridiculous pre-reqs. So right off the bat, you're going to be much weaker then a standard Druid, or any other standard full caster.

And Vow of Poverty is a bad feat. It's a particularly bad feat for this build, because one of the best abilities of the class is that it adds magical properties to your maul, in addition to the properties it already has. With VoP, you can't do that.

But I'm assuming you're doing this for roleplaying reasons, so I won't try and argue you out of it. Assuming your DM hand waves the maul problem away, here's what I'd do:

First, be a Goliath or Half Giant. Although the +1 LA sucks (which you can use LA buyoff to get rid of), but you get Powerful Build. This gives you access to Knock-Back (Races of Stone), which gives you a free Bull Rush whenever you attack. You should also take Shock Trooper (Complete Warrior) which lets you shift the Power Attack penalty to AC and steer your Bull Rush. It also synergies well with the PrC's Str bonuses and Spruce Growth/Righteous Might ability, which gives you another size bump when you need it.

Your entry into the class should be Druid 5/PrC 5. Trade away your Animal Companion and Wild Shape for some variant (forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-906113). The animal companion is going to be very weak after it stops progressing at ECL 11. And you're not going to be fighting in a Wildshape form if you want to use a maul. So this should give you some stat boosts or other abilities.

You have a bunch of options for your PrC before you qualify for Forest Master at ECL 11. What you pick depends on if you want to shore up your offense or defense. Whatever you do, just make sure it fully progresses casting. Alternatively, you can just go Druid 10.

Your basic combo is simple. For the first round or two use your ability to spontaneously summon as many animals as possible. Summon them so that they're threatening your enemies, and have them attack immediately. Then charge in and attack your enemies. If you hit you'll automatically Bull Rush them back, provoking a ton of AoO from your animals.

This gives you battlefield control and damage. Use your other Druid spells as needed to fill in other roles you might need, such as healing or utility.