PDA

View Full Version : Londoners In The Playground

Silent Hunter
2008-10-16, 02:39 PM
For people from the Greater London area.

I don't like the District Line.

Archonic Energy
2008-10-16, 04:26 PM
i don't like the way they FUBARed the DLR by closing tower gateway.

in fact if you've got a moment...

Ethrael
2008-10-17, 01:02 AM
Londinians!

On the subject of annoying tube: are they going round refurbishing each line systematically, cos the jubilee and metropolitan were closed down in different parts quite so. Anyone have any news?

potatocubed
2008-10-17, 01:05 AM
They've been closing chunks of the Metropolitan line on and off for about 5+ years. I don't actually know why, since it's exactly as bumpy and run-down looking as it ever was.

bosssmiley
2008-10-17, 04:01 AM
Is the Circle line blocked 'twixt Victorian and Embankment yet? :smallwink:

Archonic Energy
2008-10-17, 04:50 AM
Dear TfL,

while I understand the need for the modernisation of Bank/Monument complex and the temporary chaos the "one way system" has caused. However, i do not understand the point of closing the only other zone 1 DLR station at the same time and then ask everyone to avoid Bank if possible...

WE CAN'T AVOID BANK... YOU'VE SEEN TO THAT!

yours sincerly,

an extremely annoyed person!

dish
2008-10-17, 04:56 AM
That wretched Bank station keeps on screwing up my travel plans - and I don't even live in London. (I grew up there and my family are still in Greater London, so I do visit often.) It took me ages to figure out how to get to Greenwich.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-17, 08:31 AM
i regularly have to suppress bouts of tube rage

i used to use the central line and northern line to get to work. So not only would i have neck cramp from being crushed into the sides, but i'd arrive at work blowing chunks of black snot from my nose.

in one week in summer (5 days of work commuting), people pulled the passenger alarm 7 times. SEVEN! why can't these people just get off before they collapse. Or bring a bottle of water like they're advised. Bloody yuppies :smallfurious:

Nameless
2008-10-18, 05:34 AM
I think to celebrate where we live, we should have a tea party, with scones and bowler hats. :smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2008-10-18, 05:37 AM
I think to celebrate where we live, we should have a tea party, with scones and bowler hats. :smallbiggrin:

Or, you know. We could, like, not do that. :smalltongue: But I'm awesome at baking, so scones are easy.

Leigh
2008-10-18, 06:33 AM
Well, jubilee line's still down, and that's what I use to get practically everywhere...:smallyuk:

Kaelaroth
2008-10-18, 08:07 AM
Well, jubilee line's still down, and that's what I use to get practically everywhere...:smallyuk:

Can ye take the replacement buses TFL keeps boasting about?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-18, 09:14 AM
::Thanatos saunters in and clears his throat::

I just want to take this oppertunity to TAUNT YOU ALL by pointing out that Japan's train system is verifibly awesome, and has erased my long-standing hatred of Public Transportation.

Also, apparenatly, Tokyo Subways ar reated as best in the World. I just usually footpad 'round Tokyo when I go, though.
Japan's public transport is awesome and I will miss it when I go back stateside, but for now:
TAUNT TAUNT TAUNT!:smallbiggrin:

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-18, 09:25 AM
tea party? hats?!? BAKED GOOD?!?!?

im game. Someone could run a 1-shot over tea and biccys. I will wear a bowler hat if required

dish
2008-10-18, 10:28 AM
Will cucumber sandwiches be involved?

Then again, since this is London, possibly we should skip the tea-party and head straight for the kebab shop.

Flickerdart
2008-10-18, 10:48 AM
I'm near London, Ontario. Does that count?

I've been to the original London once. It was absolutely delightful, the subway was refreshingly complex and there was too much smoking going on. And the accents! Just lovely. :smallbiggrin:

Kaelaroth
2008-10-18, 11:43 AM
Will cucumber sandwiches be involved?

Then again, since this is London, possibly we should skip the tea-party and head straight for the kebab shop.

Or we could hit Soho, and wind up in some Pall Mall brothel. :smalltongue: Or we could go back to the cucumber sandwich idea.

Silent Hunter
2008-10-19, 06:15 AM
I don't actually like cucumber sandwiches.

Or tea.
----
The London Underground looks much nicer than the New York Subway. Well, most of it.

Oregano
2008-10-19, 06:17 AM
Where I live the public transports pretty good, nearly always a seat available and they're quick, in fact my college bus is going ten minutes earlier because of congestion(earlier to avoid it) instead of later, so that's all good.

Main problem though if that there's usually idiots on the bus/train and they just don't shut up.

Leigh
2008-10-19, 07:48 AM
I'm just thankful for those replacement buses...:smallwink:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-10-19, 07:50 AM
I'm just thankful for those replacement buses...:smallwink:
Leigh lives in London?

Also, crazy english speaking people call it London, we dutch call it Londen...:smalltongue:

Leigh
2008-10-19, 07:55 AM
Leigh lives in London?

Also, crazy english speaking people call it London, we dutch call it Londen...:smalltongue:

Yep. Moved here from the states about two months ago.
You're Dutch? Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

dish
2008-10-19, 09:12 AM
I don't actually like cucumber sandwiches.

Or tea.
----
The London Underground looks much nicer than the New York Subway. Well, most of it.

So, six pints of London Pride followed by a kebab (or fish and chips if you're feeling old school)?

For those who do prefer cucumber sandwiches, I'm perfectly happy to make them. I'll cut the crusts off and everything.

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-19, 11:13 AM
woah woah woah woah WOAH.

Steady on. We have a far more pressing issue to settle first....

what kind of tea will we drink?

Archonic Energy
2008-10-19, 11:53 AM
woah woah woah woah WOAH.

Steady on. We have a far more pressing issue to settle first....

English Breakfast, of course.

(Earl Grey is for posers)

RightHandless
2008-10-19, 01:45 PM
In all seriousness, is anybody else’s meet up sense tingling?

Dr. Bath
2008-10-19, 01:52 PM
For people from the Greater London area.

I don't like the District Line.

Stupid District Line! It gets all the best stuff... Like those shiny new trains. How come the Central Line can't have them? Huh? Huh? An engine fell out of one of ours, if that doesn't warrant a new set of trains I don't know what does.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY! A CONSPIRACYYYYYYYY! *gets dragged away by the men in white coats*

But in all seriousness I quite like the London Underground, it's held together pretty well for its age. 145 years since the Metropolitan line opened? Pretty amazing that it's still running at all...

Kaelaroth
2008-10-19, 01:55 PM
But in all seriousness I quite like the London Underground, it's held together pretty well for its age. 145 years since the Metropolitan line opened? Pretty amazing that it's still running at all...

I love the Tube. But, then, that's partly due to my irrational fear of buses making tubes seem more favourable.

Archonic Energy
2008-10-19, 02:12 PM
145 years since the Metropolitan line opened? Pretty amazing that it's still running at all...

the word "running" is used subjectivlly there...

and the long word is spelled wrong too!

EvilElitest
2008-10-19, 03:51 PM
i've lived there for a while, does that count?
from
EE

Archonic Energy
2008-10-21, 03:30 AM
so...

bowler hats & bonnetts at the O2?

Ashtar
2008-10-21, 04:01 AM

Darjeeling of course!

Strengfellow
2008-10-21, 01:34 PM
Well for those of you bemoaning the sorry state of the tube, at least you CAN use it.

I, being wheelchair bound, am officially classed as a fire hazard and forbidden to use the escalators and therefore the tube network itself.

When they finally install lifts at all stations (work slated for completion sometime around doomsday) these will be sent to the surface and then lock down in the event of a fire to prevent people getting stuck therein.

Meaning I'll be able to use the tube and rejoice in visitations from the sooty snot spirit and yet still be buggered in the event of a fire.

As for the over ground.... don't even get me started.

Right Arsenal are on the box and I have beer.

Later

Wraithy
2008-10-21, 02:17 PM
*Peers through binoculars from Essex and grumbles angrily*

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-21, 02:47 PM
its ok - im in northeast london on the essex border... if some sort of tea/game meet-up occurs, i'll smuggle you into the fortress citystate of londinium for a small fee

JettWilderbeast
2008-10-21, 04:35 PM
I love how a conversation of our pride in London turns into TFL hate... I live near putney so naturally every weekend when the district line gets closed near hammersmith I'm stuck (Unless I bus to South Kensington!) ...
Still meet up sense tingling too...

Oh and my vote is on a strong black cup of english breakfast.

Archonic Energy
2008-10-21, 04:46 PM
I love how a conversation of our pride in London turns into TFL hate...

it's something we all share,
our common bond...
our united banner...
in one voice we will scream...
DEATH TO TFL!.

*cough*
sorry... got a bit carried away there!

its ok - im in northeast london on the essex border...
without sounding too stalker ish, where bouts?

i'm in the bourough of Havering,

JettWilderbeast
2008-10-21, 04:48 PM
You know, I don't think you did....

Archonic Energy
2008-10-21, 04:51 PM
You know, I don't think you did....

someone's got to lead the mob with the pitchforks :smallamused:

JettWilderbeast
2008-10-21, 05:46 PM
If its anything like my area your more talking ak47 than pitchfork....

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-22, 04:23 PM
borough of waltham forest

Silent Hunter
2008-10-23, 12:08 PM
I'm also from Havering...

Kcalehc
2008-10-23, 01:24 PM
Worked in Whitehall for 18 months a couple years back. Bakerloo line from Paddington everymorning - crowded as hell; but the only day it wasn't working was Jul 21, 05... 5 mile walk from work to the station to get home that day; I'm just glad I got up early that day and missed the nasty bits.

Now I live in Washington DC, have the metro here, and its awful. Bare minimum of coverage and delays a plenty almost every week. Buses aren't much better either.

Dr. Bath
2008-10-23, 04:26 PM
borough of waltham forest

*WALTHAM FOREST HIGH FIVE!*

YEAH!

Waltham Forest is awesome. :smallcool: Except for the stabbings and shootings and abundance of scary people who wander about in the forest and such.

...But yeah. Go us!

Anyone else been to the Cartoon museum in Holborn area? It's pretty good, if that's your cup o' tea. Last thing I saw there was the exhibition on Heath Robinson, which was really really good... I'm not sure what's on at the moment though.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

JettWilderbeast
2008-10-23, 05:00 PM
Yeh high five for putney! anyone...? oh :smallfrown:

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-23, 08:57 PM
*WALTHAM FOREST HIGH FIVE!*

Anyone else been to the Cartoon museum in Holborn area? It's pretty good, if that's your cup o' tea. Last thing I saw there was the exhibition on Heath Robinson, which was really really good... I'm not sure what's on at the moment though.

whats even better is gosh comics just around the corner ;)

Jorkens
2008-10-23, 09:28 PM
Dalston / Harringey Ockabashi are the business - proper chunk-of-meat based cookery rather than the grease-inna-pitta that you get in most of the rest of the country. *gets hungry*

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-23, 11:06 PM
so with all this muttering of tea/gaming - is anyone willing to provide/suggest a venue?

Archonic Energy
2008-10-24, 05:31 AM
erm... i did suggest the O2.

I'm also from Havering...

YAY!

*Havering hi-five*