PDA

View Full Version : Idea: D&D Meets Fallout

Leliel
2008-10-16, 04:28 PM
So, as a natural compainion to my earlier "Cyberpunk D&D" thread, I thought, "Why not make throw out an idea for a another high-tech, high-fantasy setting?" After reading up on the Fallout series, I thought making up a homebrew setting that asks "What if you took the feel and world of Fallout, and added magic to it?" So here's my idea:

The world of Thanaz (working title) was originally a fantasy world in the vein of the Forgotten Realms. Then the Azoth came.

A mysterious alien bacteria with the ability to induce benefical mutations in those it infected, Azoth quickly became the chief resource of all the empires of Thanaz. Due to the particular method of it's arrival-an unfortuante malfucntion with a starship's FTL-the technology of Thanaz also advanced to levels comparable to modern Earth, and it entered a golden age.

Of course, nothing lasts forever, and the end of the age came relatively quickly, when the main source of Azoth-the spaceship-ran out. While it was able to create more of itself over time-it is a bacteria after all-the surplus that had allowed the nations of Thanaz to thrive was no longer. Suffice to say, the major empires of the world started a war over the remaining Azoth, and it wasn't long before the entire planet was reduced to a magically radioactive wasteland.

Like in Fallout though, the end of the world of Thanaz was only a chapter in a history that was still being written. The campagin begins as the PCs, members of a shelter of people that had seen the war coming from a mile away, venture out into the remmnats of a continent, all with the intention of starting life anew, but find themselves reluctantly drawn into a quest that, should they fail it, will end the world of Thanaz-for the last time.

So, any suggestions on how to make this idea better?

LibraryOgre
2008-10-16, 04:37 PM
So, as a natural compainion to my earlier "Cyberpunk D&D" thread, I thought, "Why not make throw out an idea for a another high-tech, high-fantasy setting?" After reading up on the Fallout series, I thought making up a homebrew setting that asks "What if you took the feel and world of Fallout, and added magic to it?" So here's my idea:

I'd like to introduce you to a little game called Rifts....

Leliel
2008-10-16, 04:39 PM

Yes, yes, I know.

Dublock
2008-10-16, 04:42 PM
My reaction to it is also Bioshock as well :p.

Sounds like a great idea however. But more detials on why the pcs would want to venture out of their safe heaven. The hook for the pcs to explore the land I don't see.

Also I don't see you can get from bacteria to radioactive, areas that are poisonous to the everyone.

The range of environments is endless with this idea which makes this wonderful. From areas that seemingly untouched expect the lack of people to areas littered with ruins and the dead.

The use of the bacteria can be used to infuse with monsters, and if you do it well certain organic items, like Stalker Shadows of Chernobyl (great game, simliar idea like Fallout)

EDIT: isn't this suppose to be in homebrew? :P

bosssmiley
2008-10-16, 04:44 PM

You'd think "Gamma World" had never happened. :smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2008-10-16, 04:51 PM
Another example to steal ideas from:

Earthdawn is a post-apocalyptic fantasy setting... except that by default it takes place over 100 years after the end of the magical apocalypse (which, to be precise, consisted of very powerful otherworldly creatures rampaging around and devouring/corrupting everything they managed to find), so people have rebuilt and the fauna and flora form a working ecosystem again... but the signs remain. Ah, and it's very heroic, and very high fantasy (most people have at least some magical power, magical brooms, everglowing crystal lamps and blacksmiths enchanting iron are common). And it's awesome.

Leliel
2008-10-16, 04:53 PM
My reaction to it is also Bioshock as well :p.

Ya think?

Sounds like a great idea however. But more detials on why the pcs would want to venture out of their safe heaven. The hook for the pcs to explore the land I don't see.

They need a reason? Here's one: They're human. It's what we do.

Also I don't see you can get from bacteria to radioactive, areas that are poisonous to the everyone.

Power corrupts...

[-snip-]

The use of the bacteria can be used to infuse with monsters, and if you do it well certain organic items, like Stalker Shadows of Chernobyl (great game, simliar idea like Fallout)

Hmm...I got the monsters intially, but that wan't an idea that had occured to me.

EDIT: isn't this suppose to be in homebrew? :P

It's only an idea right now.

LibraryOgre
2008-10-16, 04:54 PM
You'd think "Gamma World" had never happened. :smalltongue:

I don't write for Sword and Sorcery games. :smalltongue:

Dizlag
2008-10-16, 05:07 PM
You really don't need too many monsters, just other settlements of humans who didn't make it into "the shelter". Humans who are pissed off, transformed in some way due to the "fallout of magical radiation", and ready to take back / explore what was theirs. I'm not talking the Reavers from Firefly / Serenity, although that wouldn't be a bad idea. Hmmm ...

Prometheus
2008-10-16, 06:14 PM
Decide what the scarcities are, it should be some but not all:
-food, and is it grown, hunted, synthetic, or canned?
-water, and is it dug for, collected from the air, or generated by magic/tech
-shelter, and is it cold, hot, radioactive, dusty, diseased, or violent outside
Since this is high tech, you should also think about:
-power, and what the power source is
-communication, and is it cellphones, radio, or medieval methods
-weapons, and who makes them and when they can be used while rationed
-magic, and how this interacts with all of the above.
If you choose one of these or two of these with the same cause than the overarching mission can be to restore this precious commodity even while it is being fought over. Think Dune. There is the lack of water and a surplus of spice, but both are fought over.

DM Raven
2008-10-16, 06:50 PM
You could also use D20 modern or D20 future to build something like Fallout. While I like some of the rifts stuff, you'll have no problem learning the d20 systems if you know D&D third.

Nad
2008-10-17, 08:15 AM
I'm currently running a campaign where a giant meteor hit the planet 300 years ago and civilization is just beginning to reform.

It's got a great element in the fact that it is a wastelands campaign so the party struggels to survive, making travel much more interesting then "5 days go by and nothing happens."

The party is constantly scrounging for supplies, water and trying to figure out what to do next.

EvilElitest
2008-10-17, 03:43 PM

what is rifts? i don't know myself actually
from
EE