PDA

View Full Version : Ninja/scout + swift ambusher

RagnaroksChosen
2008-10-16, 04:28 PM
so theoretically a ninja can qualify for swift ambusher. Question is will the levels of ninja stack with Scout for determining sudden strike and skirmish. RAI i would assume so, but what about by RAW? Also if buy Raw they don't stack then by raw would your rogue level not count as 0 and there for gain sneak attack = your scout level? so a ninja1/scout3 would have 2d6 sneak attack 1d6 sudden strike and 1d6/+1 skirmish?

Fax Celestis
2008-10-16, 04:31 PM
Sudden Strike and Sneak Attack substitute each other when Sneak Attack is referred to in a prerequisite. You'd stack Scout and Ninja for determining your SS dice.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-10-16, 04:33 PM
see thats what i figured but the feat says your rogue levels and scout levels stack...

There wasn't an FAQ, cust service, or errata on that or that says that, or can you point to the page... i've read the spot in the complete adventurer that talks about stacking effects.

Temp.
2008-10-16, 04:35 PM
RAI i would assume so, but what about by RAW?The feat clearly states that it only affects "Rogue" and "Scout" levels, so no.

Also if buy Raw they don't stack then by raw would your rogue level not count as 0 and there for gain sneak attack = your scout level?Swift Ambusher does not advance Sneak Attack dice.

so a ninja1/scout3 would have 2d6 sneak attack 1d6 sudden strike and 1d6/+1 skirmish? It's closer to +1d6/+1 AC Skirmish and +1d6 Sudden Strike.

[edit:]You would count as having +2d6 Sneak Attack damage for the sake of feat and prestige class entrance. I'm not sure it would go the other way, though--you may still only count as having +1d6 Skirmish for the purposes of prerequisites.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-10-16, 04:39 PM
The feat clearly states that it only affects "Rogue" and "Scout" levels, so no.

Swift Ambusher does not advance Sneak Attack dice.

It's more like +1d6/+1 AC Skirmish and +1d6 Sudden Strike

actualy it does advance your sneak attack dice it says your levels stack for determining Sneak attack damage... there for 0+3 = 3...

Complete adventurer
"for the purpose of qualifying for feats,PRC's, and similar options that require a minimum number of sneak attack dice, treat the ninja's sudden strike ability as the equivelant of sneak attack.

tenshiakodo
2008-10-16, 04:40 PM
Basically, while you are correct that according to Complete Adventurer, Sudden Strike does allow you to meet the requirements for Swift Ambusher, the actual description of the Feat is very specific as to which classes are affected.

For example, Ranger is not the only class that can acquire Favored Enemies, yet only Rangers can claim the benefit of Swift Hunter.

This is RAW. As for RAI, I would assume that there is no imbalance in making your own feat, "Swift Ninja" that does exactly what Swift Ambusher does, but grants it's benefit to Ninja/Scouts. It's a house rule, yes, but it's logical and shouldn't disrupt the game in any way.

Feats such as Ascetic Stalker and Swift Hunter are, IMO, examples of how you could make multiclassing more fun and exciting. In theory, such Feats could exist for every possible multiclass combination.

Temp.
2008-10-16, 04:45 PM
actualy it does advance your sneak attack dice it says your levels stack for determining Sneak attack damage... there for 0+3 = 3...

Your rogue and scout levels stack for the purpose of determining the extra damage and bonus to Armor Class while skirmishing...
...It goes on to give an example build, noting only its Skirmish advancement, making no note of its Sneak Attack.

Nothing here leads me to believe Sneak Attack is advanced at all, no matter how many Scout levels you tack onto your Rogue build.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-16, 04:58 PM
...It goes on to give an example build, noting only its Skirmish advancement, making no note of its Sneak Attack.

Nothing here leads me to believe Sneak Attack is advanced at all, no matter how many Scout levels you tack onto your Rogue build.

Your rogue and scout levels stack for the purpose of determining the extra damage and bonus to Armor Class granted when skirmishing. For example, a 4th-level scout/7th-level rogue would deal an extra 3d6 points of damage and gain a +3 competence bonus to AC when skirmishing, as if she were an 11th-level scout.
In addition, you can qualify for ambush feats as if your sneak attack bonus damage were the sum of your skirmish damage and sneak attack bonus damage. You cannot sacrifice skirmish extra damage to use those feats, however.

So Temp is right: you don't get extra SA dice, but you can count your Skirmish dice as SA dice (or SS dice) for the purpose of Ambush feats.

RagnaroksChosen
2008-10-16, 05:04 PM

my bad i mis read the feat i understand what your getting at forgot it only advances your scout side...