PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate weapon, you opponents!

kentma57
2008-10-16, 09:33 PM
Just came to me a while ago, so lets see what we can do.

So start with the half-giant race. (+1 LA)
Fighter 6 for feats and base attack.
Hulking Hurler 3.

Feats:
Improved Unarmed Strike.
Weapon Focus(Stones)
Point Blank Shot
Power Attack
Improved Grapple
Rock hurling(Races of Stone)
Improved Rock hurling(Races of Stone)
Fling Enemy(Races of Stone)
(8/8 feats)

flaws:
Slow(this guy is walking artilery, so speed is not an issue)

str 25 or so

Two-Handed Hurl Tricks:
-Overburdened Heave
-knockdown Blow

Total Level: 10

Any auggestions?

The Glyphstone
2008-10-16, 11:35 PM
I think I've seen this before, but it involved Warhulk levels and a Neutronium boulder or something.

Or is the build supposed to be using the enemies as his ammo? If so, it's cool, but the Slow is really going to be a problem, since your 15ft. base speed will make it really hard to catch anything that's not Small to grapple and throw it. To make it cooler, though, I'd dip a level of Monk instead of Hurler, get rid of Knockdown blow, and grab 10 levels of Drunken Master. Now your enemies do bonus damage (improvised weapons) when you throw them at things.

Khanderas
2008-10-17, 09:23 AM
I remember this MUD a guy I knew played.
Giants had a racial special attack. Basically they took the enemy, put him in a sack and smacked the sack onto the ground a few times.

Perhaps add a version of that (If I was big and strong enough to pick up and toss my enemies, this attack, I would do) ?

Person_Man
2008-10-17, 09:28 AM
What exactly happens when you Grapple an enemy, and then Fling him into another enemy? Do they both take damage? Do they deal damage as an improvised weapon? Are they both knocked Prone, or just the enemy you throw? The Fling Enemy feat doesn't specify.

Instead of Fighter/Hulking Hurler you might want to go with a Psychic Warrior. Use Expansion to get bigger. Alternatively (or in addition) you can use Druid, and just Wildshape into bigger and stronger forms.

I'd find a way to get Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm), which gives you a free Grapple check whenever you successfully hit someone. Also, Brutal Throw (Complete Adventurer) which let's you use your Str instead of your Dex for your To-Hit with thrown weapons.

kentma57
2008-10-17, 01:17 PM
Some great ideas, but I am off to camp when I get back I might update the build or if someone else want's to post a build I can update the OP.

Good Luck.

Keld Denar
2008-10-17, 02:06 PM
Something to aspire to, but probably won't be reachable until a higher ECL, would be to use the Dungeon Crasher variant from Dungeonscape at fighter levels 2 and 6, and get Knockback. Then Brutal Throw into Power Throw so you can PA with your thrown foes, triggering Knockback to send them both barreling into a wall for bonus damage. Fun fun fun times.

And neat idea with the Drunken Master. A friend of mine played a Dwarven Drunken Master (are there any other kind?) and ended up at one point ripping the arm from an orc he had just grappled to death and used it to severely bludgeon the rest of the orcs in the room, bonus damage and gore flying all over the room. Everyone, including the DM, could barely stay in our chairs, we were just roaring at the image. Best thing was, this happened at a convention (DDXP) and we managed to draw quite a crowd to our table by the time we finally quieted down from all that hullabaloo...

Person_Man
2008-10-17, 02:24 PM
Something to aspire to, but probably won't be reachable until a higher ECL, would be to use the Dungeon Crasher variant from Dungeonscape at fighter levels 2 and 6, and get Knockback. Then Brutal Throw into Power Throw so you can PA with your thrown foes, triggering Knockback to send them both barreling into a wall for bonus damage. Fun fun fun times.

Knockback only applies to attacks that use Power Attack. Power Attack can only be applied melee attacks. Thus Knockback does not work with thrown weapons, unless you're a Bloodstorm Blade (ToB).

Keld Denar
2008-10-17, 02:30 PM
Knockback only applies to attacks that use Power Attack. Power Attack can only be applied melee attacks. Thus Knockback does not work with thrown weapons, unless you're a Bloodstorm Blade (ToB).

I could have sworn there was a feat that lets you PA with thrown weapons, that comes after Brutal Throw in a chain. I forget now, and my books are about 1200 miles from me (gotta love when you actually LIVE in the Frostburn setting...now, where did I leave that Shivering Touch spell?).

Person_Man
2008-10-17, 03:51 PM
I could have sworn there was a feat that lets you PA with thrown weapons, that comes after Brutal Throw in a chain. I forget now, and my books are about 1200 miles from me (gotta love when you actually LIVE in the Frostburn setting...now, where did I leave that Shivering Touch spell?).

Power Throw (Comp Adventurer) allows you to subtract from your To-Hit and add to your damage for a thrown weapon. So it mimics the effect of using a one handed weapon with Power Attack.

But Knockback specifically requires that you use the Power Attack feat. So RAW, it doesn't work with thrown weapons. Similarly, you couldn't use Shock Trooper with Power Throw to shift your To-Hit penalty to AC. Nor could you use Evasive Reflexes to avoid the extra damage from it.

Now, a reasonable DM might hand wave that away and allow it to count. But that's not what's written.

kentma57
2008-10-20, 12:43 PM
Some cool stuff. The gears in my mind are turning.