PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Minotaur unarmed attacks

LibraryOgre
2008-10-17, 01:56 PM
This came up last night... how much damage does a minotaur's unarmed attack do, in light of the Oversized ability?

erikun
2008-10-17, 02:02 PM
Oversized allows the minotaur to wield larger-sized weapons; it doesn't make the weapons themselves larger. A minotaur's unarmed attack deals the same damage as any other medium sized creature, 1d4 + Str modifier.

MammonAzrael
2008-10-17, 02:17 PM
Erikun is right.

However, just for flavor you might want to let them attack with their horns for...I dunno, 1d6 + STR, or 1d4 + 1.5*STR. It shouldn't unbalance the game, and adds a little extra flavor to the game, using the character's unique physiology. :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-18, 11:49 AM
Just to note that nothing in 4E grants a 1.5*Strength damage bonus, so it would be most appropriate to just use bigger dice.

Alternatively, you could do something like 1d4 + Str + Con. And minotaurs really don't have a gore attack already statted out? Wow.

LibraryOgre
2008-10-18, 11:54 AM
A minotaur has Gore as an encounter power. On a charge, they do 1D6 + Str, and knock someone prone.

Asbestos
2008-10-18, 12:57 PM
Maybe have a feat available to allow them to use their horns as a Weapon (1d6 counts as a spear?) or something. Kind of like how gnolls have a feat to let them use their claws as weapons and to make bite attacks when they bloody an enemy.

Suzuro
2008-10-18, 01:05 PM
Kind of like how gnolls have a feat to let them use their claws as weapons and to make bite attacks when they bloody an enemy.

...Where is this gnoll feat...?

-Suzuro

Asbestos
2008-10-18, 01:37 PM
...Where is this gnoll feat...?

-Suzuro

Here! (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080924) Issue of Dragon right before people had to start paying to see them again. Great article beyond the feats, gives gnolls a supernatural quality I don't think they had before, helps separate them from the other evil monstrous humanoids a little better.

But, to speed things up here are the feats I mentioned...

Heroic Tier
Claw Fighter
Prerequisite: Gnoll
Benefit: You possess vicious claws, which you can use as weapons with a +3 proficiency bonus and
1d6 damage. For purpose of powers and feats, you can treat your claws as light blades, and you are
considered to have a weapon in each hand. You cannot enchant your claws.

Paragon Tier
Swift Bite
Prerequisite: 11th level, gnoll
Benefit: When you bloody a foe, you can choose to deal an extra 1d6 + Strength modifier damage with
a bite against the target.

It seems like this time around Dragon is many times more useful than it was before, or at least in my opinion.

Suzuro
2008-10-18, 02:19 PM
Ooooh....! Thankee Sai!

-Suzuro

Suleman
2008-10-19, 12:11 AM
I'm tempted to make a custom paragon tier feat that allows claw fighters to enchant their claws as they were light blades.