PDA

View Full Version : Playing an angel [3.5]

Yehomer
2008-10-17, 04:16 PM
I very much like the idea of playing an angel-like creature as a PC... I was thinking about using the Astral Deva monster class from savage species, but the more I look at it, the more I think that a 20th level Astral Deva character with only 12HD and a +8 LA wouldn't be able to do anything useful in a 20th level party. Sure, he would be a good sword swinger with +8 to all physical abillities, and will be able to throw in a few good spell like abillities, but with only five feats, a fighter would do better melee than him. Or so I think. What do you think, is he balanced for his level? And if not, do you think the LA should be lower? And if not that, do you know any other cool angel like creature with a saner LA?

Fan
2008-10-17, 04:19 PM
You only NEED 5 feats.
Pounce, Leap attack, and each of their pre reqs.
There now your dealing over 300 damage on charge, and your just fine.
You add in power attack, Over sized TWF, and you can be dealing out 600 a round.
Take War blade, and then use Time stands still to deal out 1200 in a round.

Inyssius Tor
2008-10-17, 04:19 PM
Aasimar?

brevity is the something of wit

EvilElitest
2008-10-17, 04:22 PM
angel like the Always LG outsider (which is hard to pull off) or angel like being?
from
EE

Lord Herman
2008-10-17, 04:26 PM
I'd go with an Aasimar Favoured Soul. As a low-LA race with a pretty good caster class, he should be quite effective at high levels. The favoured soul can do melee combat, and you get quite a few abilities you could describe as angelic.

Yehomer
2008-10-17, 04:39 PM
Which books are punce and leap attack from?

The fluff of this character is that he was sent from the heavens to the material plane as sort of a test, or a redemption trial for a misdeed. He was drained of most his powers and must reaquire them slowly. The final result is the always good outsider with big sword who smites infadels. However, he starts as a semi mortal (native outsider) who's moral code is not hard coded in him. So anything that fits that description (I was going to alter the astral deva monster class a little to fit the fluff).

AugustNights
2008-10-17, 04:52 PM
Compare it to a Monk 10/Cleric 10 of Equal level.

Cons:
Saves (Big Difference here.)
Bab (-2)
Less attacks (Due to Flurry)
Less Unarmed Damage (Not going to Matter really.)
Lower Skill Caps
Easier to get around AC bonuses (AC is Natural and Not unnamed.)
Cannot Turn Undead
No Evasion
Less Feats
Less variety of Spells

Pros:
Many spells per day, at will. (Including the ever popular, PolyMorph)
Higher level Spells
Higher SR
Immunities. (Including Acid.)
Much better Speed (Granted it's fly speed, but thats even better)
Higher Weapon damage [Large]
More Skills (8x12=96) vs (3x20=60)
Much Higher AC
Minor Globe of Invulnerability
Infinite uses of any curing spell. (Means no excuse to be at Full Hp after any amount of time greater than 2 hours.)
Higher Abilities

Just as what I see in comparison.

Yehomer
2008-10-17, 04:57 PM
Nice. However, I think a monk 10 \ cleric 10 is very sub optimal as well :S

Also, when he gains large size, does it mean it also gets the +8 str -2 dex +4 con +2 natural AC that creatures advancing from medium to large size via advancement rules gain?

Fan
2008-10-17, 05:09 PM
Which books are punce and leap attack from?

The fluff of this character is that he was sent from the heavens to the material plane as sort of a test, or a redemption trial for a misdeed. He was drained of most his powers and must reaquire them slowly. The final result is the always good outsider with big sword who smites infadels. However, he starts as a semi mortal (native outsider) who's moral code is not hard coded in him. So anything that fits that description (I was going to alter the astral deva monster class a little to fit the fluff).

Pounce is from the very book your interested in, and it allows you to make a full attack on a charge which with Over sized two weapon fighting, and monkey grip your attacking with one handed dual wieldied great swords.
Leap attack is from The complete adventurer.

Fizban
2008-10-17, 05:36 PM
First:

MONKEY GRIP DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!*
(I don't have the picture handy)

Second: There is no pounce feat that I'm aware of. You've got Two-Weapon Pounce, in PHBII, which sucks. You've got Catfolk Pounce, in Races of the Wild, which only works in the first round, and you have to be a catfolk. There's also Dire Charge, which is epic, and I think also only works in the first round. There is no Just Pounce.

As for the OP, you're going to have to tinker with the LA. While CR != ECL, it does give a general guessing point. I'd probably put an Astral Deva around ECL 16, just as a guess.

You could also try the Movanic Deva, from the Fiend Folio. It only has 6 racial hit dice, and I'd place it's level adjustment after those at about 2 or 3. It's better than a Half-Celestial, but it also has 6 dead hit dice with no other class features. I'd put it at ECL 9, which matches with it's most powerful SLAs.

*Monkey Grip does not allow you to wield a two handed weapon in one hand. It allows a medium creature to wield a weapon sized for a large creature without using extra hands, at a -2 penalty. It essentially ups your damage die to the next stage. It also doesn't stack with Powerful Build, before you ask.

Fan
2008-10-17, 05:41 PM
First:

MONKEY GRIP DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY!*
(I don't have the picture handy)

Second: There is no pounce feat that I'm aware of. You've got Two-Weapon Pounce, in PHBII, which sucks. You've got Catfolk Pounce, in Races of the Wild, which only works in the first round, and you have to be a catfolk. There's also Dire Charge, which is epic, and I think also only works in the first round. There is no Just Pounce.

As for the OP, you're going to have to tinker with the LA. While CR != ECL, it does give a general guessing point. I'd probably put an Astral Deva around ECL 16, just as a guess.

You could also try the Movanic Deva, from the Fiend Folio. It only has 6 racial hit dice, and I'd place it's level adjustment after those at about 2 or 3. It's better than a Half-Celestial, but it also has 6 dead hit dice with no other class features. I'd put it at ECL 9, which matches with it's most powerful SLAs.

*Monkey Grip does not allow you to wield a two handed weapon in one hand. It allows a medium creature to wield a weapon sized for a large creature without using extra hands, at a -2 penalty. It essentially ups your damage die to the next stage. It also doesn't stack with Powerful Build, before you ask.

I know, but its called a pre req for a PRC that ALLOWS you to do such.
Or, if you really want to get into the Cheese at Lvl twenty.(which means hes ONE level away from Epic.) Bear warrior, and Freinzied Berserker maxed.
+36 strength, +4 con, and other insainity. BEFORE magic items. (Which could total out to be +42 at non epic, but with epic it equals +56 strength, and if you have a base of 24 (possible with race that gives a meager +2 to str.) thats a 7- strength.