PDA

View Full Version : Why Did It Have To Be Snakes!?! [3.5e]

Neon Knight
2008-10-17, 04:54 PM
So, I'm planning on a game that focuses on Yuan-ti as adversaries and was looking for sources with more information on them. Can anyone give me a hand?

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-17, 05:08 PM
Do as I say, and you live.

Link. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417148/)
Link. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Jones)

Other than that, I'm afraid I don't have much advice to offer. They're just snake people--basically Kobolds! :smalltongue:

arguskos
2008-10-17, 05:28 PM
If you don't mind taking setting specific tools, and adapting them to your twisted and nefarious purposes *insertevillaughterherekthx* check out the book Serpent Kingdoms (D&D 3.5e Forgotten Realms). It has so much Yuan-Ti and other Scaled One's info, your eyes and brain will bleed with the awesome.

-argus

Siegel
2008-10-17, 05:31 PM
If you don't mind taking setting specific tools, and adapting them to your twisted and nefarious purposes *insertevillaughterherekthx* check out the book Serpent Kingdoms (D&D 3.5e Forgotten Realms). It has so much Yuan-Ti and other Scaled One's info, your eyes and brain will bleed with the awesome.

-argus

And it's the source of PunPun isn't it ?

arguskos
2008-10-17, 05:48 PM
Yes, the Sarrukh, a SINGLE badly worded monster.

Mind you I didn't tell him to use Sarrukhs (which happen to be CR 21, and well deserving of it). The book itself is great, one of my favorites from 3.5. It had a really, REALLY bad monster in it, granted, but that doesn't make the whole book a disaster.

I mean, it's not the Book of Vile Darkness or anything! *shudders*

-argus

Lord Herman
2008-10-17, 05:57 PM
Spoilered so my players won't read this:
I'm using Yuan-ti in my 4E campaign. Or at least, I'm working toward that. The party just took out a cult of Zehir, the snake god. Little do they know that it was only a single cell of the cult; soon, the rest of the cult will have their bloody revenge, while at the same time completing their plan of ascending to Snaketongue status.

I plan to eventually use actual Yuan-ti, but the players still have to gain a few levels before they can face them; right now, even a single Snaketongue is a great threat to the entire party.

EvilElitest
2008-10-17, 07:41 PM
serpents kingdoms
from
EE

AslanCross
2008-10-18, 12:44 AM
I believe you can ask Samuel L. Jackson.

Ahem.
Anyway, Serpent Kingdoms is probably going to be the single most helpful source. Even the 3.5 Monster Manual has tons of information on them.
The 3.0 Fiend Folio has stats on the Yuan-Ti Anathema, which would likely be your boss at high levels.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-10-18, 03:18 AM
This is a recurring high-level BBEG I wrote for someone quite a while back. I saved a copy before the board I'd originally posted it on went offline:
Sslivorix, the Serpent Prince
In the toxic swamps of the 872nd layer of the Abyss a marilith hid a clutch of eggs, fathered by a dragon which had ascended to deific power. Each of the creatures which hatched from them immediately began attempting to destroy the others to achieve dominance, leaving only three survivors who soon after parted ways. Each took a portion of the swamp to rule, and as they grew the three constantly fought with each other. The strongest of the three, Sslivorix, managed to drive his siblings away and became the ruler of the layer. Centuries later, the other two returned together and defeated him in a close battle, after which he retreated to the material plane. Rumor has it that the stronger of those two devoured the other and still rules the 872nd layer of the Abyss. The mighty Sslivorix, shamed and angered by his defeat, he still walks the material plane, venting his anger on any creature he finds. Most recently he has attracted several Yuan-Ti followers who raid humanoid settlements to bring him treasure, slaves, and sacrifices.

Sslivorix
Huge Dragon (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Shapechanger, Tanar'ri)
Hit Dice 24d12+168
Hit Points 336
Initiative +5
Speed 60 ft., Fly 160 ft. Poor, Swim 60 ft.
Armor Class 33 (-2 size, +5 dex, +20 natural), touch AC 13, flat-footed AC 27
Base Attack/Grapple +24/+42
Attack* Bite +37, 2d8+15 plus poison
Full Attack* Bite +37, 2d8+15 plus poison, and 2 claws +35, 2d6+10 plus poison, and 2 wings +35, 1d8+10, and tail slap +35 2d8+20
Space/Reach 15 ft./10 ft. (bite 15 ft.)
Special Attacks Breath Attack, Spells, Spell-Like Abilities, Poison, Improved Grab, Constrict 2d8+10, Swallow Whole, Summon Serpents, Rage, Frightful Presence
Special Qualities Alternate Form, Swarm Discorporation, Damage Reduction 10/Epic and Cold Iron and Good, Spell Resistance 30, Darkvision 120', Low-Light Vision (x4 as dragons), Blindsense 60 ft., Immunity to Electricity, Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, and Fear, Resist Acid 10, Cold 10, and Fire 10, Telepathy 100 ft.
Saves Fort +21 Ref +19 Will +19
Abilities Str 31, Dex 21, Con 24, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 31
Skills Listen +32, Spot +32, Search +32, Hide +24, Move Silently +32, Bluff +37, Disguise +37 (+39 acting in character), Concentration +34, Spellcraft +34, Knowledge: Arcana +23, Knowledge: the Planes +23, Sense Motive +23
Feats Multisnatch (B), Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Greater Dispel Magic, Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Vampiric Touch, Maximize Spell-Like Ability: Vampiric Touch, Recover Breath x5 (Draco), Quicken Breath (Draco)
Environment
Organization Solitary or Court (Sslivorix and 2-5 Fiendish Legendary Snakes (MM2), 2-13 Yuan-Ti Purebloods, 2-5 Yuan-Ti Halfbloods, and 2-4 Yuan-Ti Abominations)
Challenge Rating 20
Treasure Triple Standard
Alignment Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement —
Level Adjustment —
*Sslivorix continually uses his Greater Magic Fang spell-like ability to give each of his natural weapons a +5 Enhancement bonus.

Sslivorix would appear as an enormous, slender snake if not for his finlike wings and short legs. His scales are a dark green with patches of brown, his wings are darker shades of brown and green, and his belly is a dark olive green. He speaks and understands any known language, and his natural weapons count as Evil, Chaotic, Magic, and Epic for purposes of overcoming damage reduction. He is capable of breathing both air and water.

Combat
Sslivorix primarily uses melee attacks to defeat his opponents, combining quickened breath attacks and spell-like abilites with full-attacks when he can. He is completely fearless,

Poison (Ex): Injury, Claws and Bite, Fort DC 29, initial and secondary damage 1d10 Con. When in a Rage the DC increases to 33.

Breath Attack (Su): Sslivorix has two types of breath attacks, a Line of Acid 100 ft. long dealing 10d10 Acid damage (Ref DC 29 half), and a 50 ft. Cone of poisonous vapors which deals 1d6 Wisdom damage (Fort DC 29 negates); anyone who takes this Wisdom damage must then make a DC 29 Will save or be Dazed for 1d6+3 rounds. He must wait 1d4 rounds after using a breath attack to do so again. When Sslivorix is in a Rage these DCs each increase to 33. He always uses it Quickened, and due to his multiple instances of Recover Breath he need only wait until the next round if he rolls 1 or 2 on 1d4, he must wait until the second round after breathing if he rolls 3, or he must wait until the third round later on a roll of 4.

Improved Grab (Ex): Any time Sslivorix hits a creature at least one size category smaller than himself with a bite or tail slap attack he can immediately attempt to start a grapple without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If he gets a hold, he immediately begins constricting them. He typically takes the option of holding a victim while not being considered grappled himself, in which case his grapple checks only suffer a -10 penalty instead of the standard -20 due to his Multisnatch bonus feat.

Swallow Whole (Ex): If Sslivorix grabs a creature in his mouth, he can attempt to swallow the victim whole on the next round by making a successful grapple check. Once swallowed, the victim takes 2d8+5 bludgeoning damage and 2d8 acid damage each round from Sslivorix's gullet, and is always within the area of his breath attack, in which case it automatically fails its Reflex save against his acid breath attack. A swallowed creature can attempt a Grapple or Escape Artist check to move into his mouth, in which case they're still grappled, or they may attempt to cut their way free with a light slashing or piercing weapon by dealing at least 48 damage to his gullet (AC 22). Once freed a muscular action closes the hole so another swallowed victim must cut its own way out. Sslivorix's gullet can hold one Large, two Medium, four Small, eight Tiny, or sixteen Diminutive or smaller creatures.

Frightful Presence (Ex): Whenever Sslivorix attacks, charges, enters a Rage, or flies overhead, any creature within 180 ft. with 23 or fewer Hit Dice must succeed on a DC 32 Will save or become Panicked for 4d6 rounds (4 or fewer HD) or Shaken for 4d6 rounds (5 or more HD). A creature who makes the save is immune to Sslivorix's Frightful Presence for 24 hours. This is also active if he activates Rage while in an alternate form.

Rage (Ex): Sslivorix may enter a state of rage whenever he chooses, but it also automatically triggers whenever he drops below 85 hit points or loses control of his actions by means of a mind-affecting effect. While in a Rage, he gains +8 Str and Con, +4 to his Will saves, and Fast Healing 6, while suffering a -2 AC penalty for the duration. Upon entering a rage he immediately gets to make a second save, with the bonuses for raging applied, to end any mind-affecting effects currently on him even if they normally wouldn't allow a saving throw, and any mind-affecting effects remaining are temporarily supressed for the duration of the rage, which also counts against the duration of the effect. A rage lasts 14 rounds or until his current hit points rise above 85, whichever is longer, and he may not end it voluntarily. While raging he may not use any spells or spell-like abilities and gains the benefits of the Diehard feat. Rage may be voluntarily activated once per encounter and he suffers no ill effects afterward (i.e. no fatigue).

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will: Charm Animal (reptilian animals only) (DC 21), Spike Growth (DC 23), Vampiric Touch, Nondetection, Greater Magic Fang, Greater Dispel Magic, Hiss of Sleep (SC) (DC 27), Greater Teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only); 3/day: Blasphemy, Black Tentacles (which appear as snakes), Cloudkill (DC 24); 1/day: Evil Glare (SC) (DC 27), Dominate Monster (Dragons, Dragonblooded, and Reptilian creatures only) (DC 29), Destruction (DC 27). Caster Level 20, DC 20 + Spell Level.

Swarm Discorporation (Ex): If an attack would reduce Sslivorix's hit points to an ammount lower than 1, he can automatically attempt a Reflex save (DC equals damage dealt) to break apart into a swarm of scales, automatically negating the attack. The swarm immediately disperses and the parts attempt to escape (Diminutive creatures, immune to physical damage, each with 48 HP, AC 24, touch AC 19, SR 30, fly 80 with good maneuverability, each retains most of his special qualities and skills), and if at least one piece survives Sslivorix reforms 24 hours later at the largest grouping of these pieces with full HP and no ill effects remaining on him.

Alternate Form (Su): Sslivorix can take the form of any humanoid, dragon, monstrous humanoid, or reptilian animal of 24 or fewer Hit Dice whenever he chooses, and may stay in that form indefinitely. Changing form is a move-aciton, and he retains his Rage and Swarm Discorporation abilities and a limited use of his Frightful Presence ability regardless of what form he's in. Any form he's currently in has serpentine teeth and fangs, and if the form normally has a bite attack he retains his ability to deliver poison with each bite while in that form. When used to crate a disguise, this ability grants a +10 Circumstance bonus on Disguise checks.

Summon Serpents (Sp): Once per day Sslivorix can automatically summon 4d6 Fiendish Legendary Snakes (MM2) or one Marilith. This ability is the equivelant of a 9th level spell.

Spells: Sslivorix casts spells as a 17th level Sorcerer. Save DCs are 20 + Spell Level. Spells/day 6/9/9/8/8/8/8/7/5, spells known 9/5/5/4/4/4/3/3/2. Each day some of his spells known are randomly determined using the Arcane Scrolls tables on pages 239-241 of the DMG. Any results not appearing on the sorcerer/wizard spell list (i.e. bard spells), or a result of the same spell two or more times, is rerolled. The ammount of spells to be randomly rolled each day is 5/3/3/2/2/2/2/2/1. His remaining spells known of 4/2/2/2/2/2/1/1/1 are as follows:
0- Detect Magic, Read Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand; 1st- Feather Fall, Shield; 2nd- Web, Shatter; 3rd- Greater Mage Armor (SC), Displacement; 4th- Dimensional Anchor, Enervation; 5th- Dismissal, Wall of Force; 6th- True Seeing; 7th- Greater Scrying; 8th- Greater Prying Eyes.

Tactics: Sslivorix is a cunning foe who constantly schemes new ways of enslaving or destroying mortals. A master of subterfuge, he typically gets to know his foes to learn all he can of their strengths and weaknesses before striking. He never openly attacks unless he's sure he can win, and is not above using more subtle means to weaken or defeat an opponent. His only real weaknesses would be his arrogance and sudden unexpected fits of anger, during which he's both capable and willing to destroy an entire community.

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-18, 03:42 AM

Dammit!

I was gonna say "put them on a plane".

Thurbane
2008-10-18, 06:39 PM
I once ran a campaign with Yuan-ti as the major antagonists...I'll post you a list of resources a bit later. :smallwink:

Kaiyanwang
2008-10-20, 03:51 AM

Anyway, Serpent Kingdoms is probably going to be the single most helpful source. Even the 3.5 Monster Manual has tons of information on them.
The 3.0 Fiend Folio has stats on the Yuan-Ti Anathema, which would likely be your boss at high levels.

This. And in fiend folio you find the Thi-kana template to make disonasurs evil yuan-ti breeds.

Also, add allies: yuan-ti are ancient and powerful, is likely they master the arto of breed new monsters like the Sskvalor from MMIII.

Other useful allies could be demons, fitting for alignement. mariliths fit even aesthetically. I can easily imagine a yuan-ti cater specialized in demonic summons.. or in necromancy.

Yuant could enslave other races, like lizardfolks. Also, refluff as many constructs as you can, making them sacred guardians of the temples or so.

Finally, gather as many poison kinds you can gather and spread them everywhere. They are snakes, after all... :smallwink: