PDA

View Full Version : What is anger of Angels?

EvilElitest
2008-10-17, 08:14 PM
I saw this on the internet but i can't find a good detailed description of it, does anybody know what it is?
http://www.montecook.com/mpress_Angels.html

from
EE

Fax Celestis
2008-10-17, 08:17 PM
Very solid d20 expansion designed for the purpose of PC-as-angels. One of my favorite 3rd party books, up there with the Big Book of Templates and Etherscope.

EvilElitest
2008-10-17, 08:25 PM
Very solid d20 expansion designed for the purpose of PC-as-angels. One of my favorite 3rd party books, up there with the Big Book of Templates and Etherscope.

could you give details? Is it just a D20 game taht focuses upon other stuff?
from
EE

FoE
2008-10-17, 08:29 PM
It's a book for people who want to play a bunch of winged pansies that wish they were Care Bears. Or so I heard.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-17, 08:35 PM
could you give details? Is it just a D20 game taht focuses upon other stuff?
from
EE

It's just a sourcebook for D&D, used in the same way as, say, Races of Destiny.

Talya
2008-10-17, 08:40 PM
It's just a sourcebook for D&D, used in the same way as, say, Races of Destiny.

Well, it's more correctly a sourcebook for Sword & Sorcery, which is just third party d20, but yes.

My half-celestial cohort in one campaign has a bunch of feats from that book, but that's the extent that we've used it.

EvilElitest
2008-10-17, 08:45 PM
really? Ok taht is just really cool, so its an angel/demon battle book basically
from
EE

Talya
2008-10-17, 08:49 PM
really? Ok taht is just really cool, so its an angel/demon battle book basically
from
EE

Not really. There are no demons in it, unless you count fallen angels.

Actually, that's probably intended. It has a somewhat Judeao-Christian treatment of Heaven and Angels.

EvilElitest
2008-10-17, 08:56 PM
Not really. There are no demons in it, unless you count fallen angels.

Actually, that's probably intended. It has a somewhat Judeao-Christian treatment of Heaven and Angels.

sounds like another game i heard of, in nomine
from
EE

Zephyros
2008-10-17, 11:47 PM
In nomine is a different system itself tho... Pun intended the system is d666 (which is a 3d6 roll actually) And it's a bit WoDy. Quite good I can say (tho I have very limited experience with it due to lack of players.) It is indeed based on a Jeudo-Christian religion. Quite funny is the fact that depending on your faction (be it demon or angel) your critical success or failure differs. Angels crit with a triple 1 when the Holy Ghost intervenes, and Demons crit with a triple 6 when Lucy makes his move...

You can play In Nomine in every time-period of history you want. There are some nice modules for it (I really enjoyed playing the Sword of the Baptiser:smallyuk:), but I ve lost their internet trace :smallfrown:.

bosssmiley
2008-10-18, 01:20 PM
It's a book for people who want to play a bunch of winged pansies that wish they were Care Bears. Or so I heard.

You definitely ain't played "In Nomine" then. :smallwink:

@Zephyros: you might want to try SJG's Warehouse 23, although I think In Nom's (http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/) a discontinued line. Shame that.

I know paizo.com has a limited selection of the books on offer (I can recommend Angelic & Infernal Player's Guides, The Marches, and Heaven & Hell as just general interest gaming books).

Ent
2008-10-18, 01:38 PM
Is anyone familiar with Engel? What is it like? I've heard very good things about it.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-18, 03:01 PM

Dude, carebears rock. Have you seen the movies?

They have much death and destruction on that series. Not really as kiddie show.

Jerthanis
2008-10-18, 04:08 PM
Is anyone familiar with Engel? What is it like? I've heard very good things about it.

I've played Engel, it's got very bad mechanics, but is the only chance you will really get to play in post-apocalypse Europe as the Messengers of God to a corrupt church against the forces of Gnostic H.R. Geiger genitalia-themed cockroaches. A clever DM reworking the mechanics to not be horrible makes it a fantastic game.

Oh, BTW, I'm referring to the D20 version when I say it's got bad mechanics, I didn't play the original German version that I heard somewhere uses playing cards instead of dice.

Satyr
2008-10-18, 04:42 PM
Engel has no mechanics at all. The true game is completely based on Tarot cards - for the resolution of actions one card is drawn which is interpreted by the group as a collective. Only the Devil Arcana was always negative, but the rest was always open to interpretation. The game is surely not for everyone because of this strong focus on the narrative, but for this target group the game is ingenious.

The d20 version was greatly enhanceable, though.

Inhuman Bot
2008-10-18, 04:43 PM

As you arent biased at all.

Riffington
2008-10-18, 05:26 PM
In Nomine is an amazing game, well worth picking up.

But if you want to play Carebears, try Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :p

EvilElitest
2008-10-18, 09:12 PM
what is engels?
from
EE

Satyr
2008-10-19, 05:29 AM
"Chroniken der Engel" ("The chronicles of Angels") is a German Roleplaying game strongly focused on a very narrative gameplay, so strongly focused that the game has no point values and the characters consist mostly out of catchwords and depictions. In this game, you play an Angel after the Second Coming. The setting is located in the far future and the world is ruined. Most technology was lost, and the Church under an immortal child as the pope and its angelic servants (e.g. the PC's) fight against the Evi l (in form of the "Traumsaat", the seeds of dreams), mostly in form of giant swarms of insects.

Additionally, the setting is an enormous mindscrew, and literally nothing is at it seems on the first view. Especially not the Angels.

The game was translated by White Wolf into English but for no apparent reason, they left out the most interesting aspect of it - the tarot-based conflict resolution. really don't understad why, this was the most important and interesting aspect of the game and the rest is quite mediocre, especially with the substandard D20 adaptation.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-19, 03:52 PM
The game was translated by White Wolf into English but for no apparent reason, they left out the most interesting aspect of it - the tarot-based conflict resolution. really don't understad why, this was the most important and interesting aspect of the game and the rest is quite mediocre, especially with the substandard D20 adaptation.

Likely to differentiate it from Gaslight Press' Everway game.

Sinfire Titan
2008-10-20, 07:23 AM
Dude, carebears rock. Have you seen the movies?

They have much death and destruction on that series. Not really as kiddie show.

I refuse to see it on the priciple that stuffed rabbits are beter than Care Bears (I had a plush rabbit when I was growing up, and still have it sitting on my desk because of sentimental value).

That being said, what do you mean it's not for kids?! :smallbiggrin:

Thoughtbot360
2008-10-20, 07:40 AM

I wannabe a Care Bear (Oh it'll be so great!)
When I'm a Care Bear (I can hardly wait)
And do the things that Care Bears do!
Oh I wanna be a Care Bear, like you!

Raziel: .............Flame Strike.

I wannabe not on FI-RE (Oh my flesh is burning off!)
When I'm not on FI-RE (Its really kinda hot)
And do the things not on Fire people do!
Oh I wanna be mmmmmm *Tongue burns away from the inside*

Latern Archon: Lord Raziel! That was a good-aligned mortal!

Raziel: Oh? Could've fooled me with its demonic singing....

Ranis
2008-10-20, 07:48 AM
Generally speaking, the Sword and Sorcery books as a standalone D&D setting has been a bit lackluster for me, and lacks cohesiveness from my brief experience with it. However, the individual splatbooks, taken for what they are, can make great additions to your home game.

My cleric uses a few magic items from one of the divine supplements because he's an acetic and likes to carry around as few things as possible, so the more his gear can do for the less equipment he has to actually carry is a good thing, and this particular Sword and Sorcery book allows for it.

only1doug
2008-10-20, 07:52 AM
In Nomine is an amazing game, well worth picking up.

But if you want to play Carebears, try Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :p

I'm not the only person who remembers the DoomBears (set of villains) from TMNT then?

heh, they were truly Eviiiil (to my players)

Smeggedoff
2008-10-20, 09:19 AM
I'm not the only person who remembers the DoomBears (set of villains) from TMNT then?

heh, they were truly Eviiiil (to my players)

ooh, In Nomine is brilliant, converted instantly first time I played it. Really want to play it again.
*sigh*
I guess I'll have to settle for attempting to run it and trying to convert my friends instead :smallamused:

EvilElitest
2008-10-20, 08:18 PM
I refuse to see it on the priciple that stuffed rabbits are beter than Care Bears (I had a plush rabbit when I was growing up, and still have it sitting on my desk because of sentimental value).

That being said, what do you mean it's not for kids?! :smallbiggrin:

plush bunnies are amazing
from
EE