PDA

View Full Version : Theater Junkies. What do you think of this monologue for college auditions?

EndlessWrath
2008-10-17, 11:35 PM
I'm getting ready for college auditions at state festival... It's in 2 weeks or so...

25+ different colleges... and we're competing...

I just was kinda eh about my pick. I'm leaning toward choice one..but I dunno. I'd like a second opinion to see if you think this would be a good audition piece.

From Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus.. the Arron Monologue in act II.

1) Ay, that I had not done a thousand more.
Even now I curse the day—and yet, I think, 2260
Few come within the compass of my curse,—
Wherein I did not some notorious ill,
As kill a man, or else devise his death,
Ravish a maid, or plot the way to do it,
Accuse some innocent and forswear myself, 2265
Set deadly enmity between two friends,
Make poor men's cattle break their necks;
Set fire on barns and hay-stacks in the night,
And bid the owners quench them with their tears.
Oft have I digg'd up dead men from their graves, 2270
And set them upright at their dear friends' doors,
Even when their sorrows almost were forgot;
And on their skins, as on the bark of trees,
Have with my knife carved in Roman letters,
'Let not your sorrow die, though I am dead.' 2275
Tut, I have done a thousand dreadful things
As willingly as one would kill a fly,
And nothing grieves me heartily indeed
But that I cannot do ten thousand more.
---
If there be devils, would I were a devil,
To live and burn in everlasting fire,
So I might have your company in hell,
But to torment you with my bitter tongue!

2) Romeo and Juliette in a slightly...different light. (http://plays.about.com/od/monologues/a/comedicmale04.htm)

I understand Shakespeare easy... It comes naturally to me. But I'm still wondering if it's a good audition piece? I'm Leaning toward the Aaron piece... just cause I'd like to try something else, I'm normally a nice, quiet, peaceful guy... I'd love to try a villain..seems like it would be a good enhancement to my acting skill. Besides... Who wouldn't love evil for the sake of being evil? a villain in the truest form?

If you have any suggestions or ideas on how I could perform this or comments/criticism about the piece...by all means gimme a hand.

Leigh
2008-10-18, 06:36 AM
Ooh, good choices.
I personally prefer the second one, but that depends on how good you are at comedy vs. hardcore, serious acting.
Though if it's for a college audition, I'd suggest going with the first one.
Pick whichever one you feel most comfortable with. :smallsmile:

Allysian
2008-10-18, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I like the second one as well, what play are you auditioning for? That could be a factor.

EndlessWrath
2008-10-18, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I like the second one as well, what play are you auditioning for? That could be a factor.

tis not a play audition. I'm auditioning for colleges. it's required basically to get into Theater programs in colleges. I'm trying to keep away from Shock pieces or such things like that... so those two have been my focus. I really like the bad guy..cause I'm not one.. but i do love the challenge

dish
2008-10-18, 11:28 PM
I like the bad guy (first one) - as long as you're sure you can pull it off successfully. The second doesn't really do much for me.

EndlessWrath
2008-10-26, 07:13 PM
First off... Thank you all for giving me a hand... I shall not forget it.

To let you all know... We (director and I) decided to go with the first one for the college auditions... as we had a few neat ideas to go with it and we have some good ideas.

We decided it cause my friend (who's a lot better with comedy than I am... ) decided to use it for his audition, and I do love a good villain.

Thank you all.

~Wrath

Ash08
2008-10-29, 09:37 PM
In my point of view it all depends on what your doing as you say the monolouge. I think they're both pretty good though...

Knaight
2008-10-29, 10:14 PM
Good choice, it seemed better. Although there are some pretty good scenes from R and J. Mercutios death for example, great monologue, if a bit short.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-10-29, 10:29 PM
Ooooh! It was a drama course in which I met my now ex, Robin. In fact, what made her interested in me was the monologue we had to perform for our final. I chose King Arthur explaining to Guinevere how he became king from the musical, Camelot. But it wasn't the monologue that interested her...It was the way I performed it before class one day.

Sitting around before class one day, I started performing it as though King Arthur was...hmmm...how to put this...? EXTREMELY "light in the loafers." I'm talking the stereotypical lisp, exaggerated hand gestures, and over-the-top facial expressions. Try to imagine Jack from Will & Grace as King Arthur and you'll have a pretty good idea of how off the wall this "rehearsal" was.

Robin was among several people who witnessed my antics, and many were laughing so hard they were crying! One guy walked in during the middle and was unfortunately sipping a drink, which promptly came out his nose. :smalltongue:

Just one bothersome thing came of this amusing performance. The witnesses described what they'd seen to my professor, and he said that if I dared to actually do it like that for my final, he would grant me an A for the course. But he forbade anyone from telling me, and so I took a B in the class. :smallannoyed: