PDA

View Full Version : Godsmen: Harbinger House

Pages : [1] 2

Eldan
2008-10-18, 07:25 AM
The sunless sky over the Outlands is a bright blue today, not a tiny cloud insight above the small mining town of Edgesville, a name that reveals that it's founders clearly weren't all that creative when it comes to naming, since it's set right at the edge of a seemingly mile-high cliff of bright white limestone.
The town itself, inhabited by about the same amount of petitioners that were miners in their last lives and didn't wish for any change and settlers from Sigil that prefered the fresher air and actually present natural enviroment of the Land, only sports a good four dozen small houses, five mining shafts and a large tavern built around the two portals to Sigil found here, each of them only open for an hour each day.
Inside the tavern, built from massive stones both against the occasional Tanar'ri raids and because it's the only building material out here, a variety of guests are already waiting for the next portal opening: a pair of fire giants towers over the crowd in one corner, talking quietly over two halfling-sized clay mugs of mead and staring menacingly at each one to come to close to them; a group of five young gnomes is standing in one corner, gesturing and laughing excitingly at what will be their first visit to relatives in Sigil, a mindflayer with a thrall sitting at a table in the middle of the room, playing a complicated board game against either an invisible opponent or his own telekinesis.

Frosty
2008-10-18, 11:53 AM
Given that the Tanar'ri raids around here, Lily wisely is not in the tavern in her full, naked succubus glory. THe normally 6 feet, 125 pound Lily now appaears as a 5 feet 10 inches, 150 pounds human girl with piercing blue eyes and vibrant, short orange hair that is combed neatly. The girl appears to be wearing a suit of silvery gleaming full-plate that covers every inch of her body except for her head. Lily is sitting at a table, having a drink as a lance rests besides her propped against the table and a helmet rests on the table next to her mug.

Cespenar
2008-10-18, 01:14 PM
Rhion

Dressed in a ragged-looking gray robe, the traveller sits on a small table near the corner, with a small, curious hawk perched up on his shoulder. While the bird glances at the people in the tavern with short, disconnected head movements, the man tries to offer it a piece of meat from the stew in front of him.

"It's cooked, but hardly uneatable. You should try it."

Though the hawk doesn't seem warm to the idea, the calm, slightly smiling expression endures on the man's face.

Dreamshifter
2008-10-18, 08:24 PM
Zengral
The door opens, and a figure in dusty light grey robes (or perhaps, beige robes with grey dust, it's difficult to tell) enters. Pulling back his hood, his gith features become obvious, and his dark eyes scan the room. He stares at the illithid for a moment, and smiles. He then sizes up the others in the room, considering his next move.

Salvonus
2008-10-19, 04:48 AM
Seeker:

In the far corner, removed from most of the bustle of the tavern, sat a rather unusual creature. A complex construction of clockwork and metallic-looking flesh, an accurate way to describe such a creature might have been "a rectangular prism with arms and legs". But such a description would be somewhat incorrect; the creature, after all, had rather friendly grin on its face, and its silver eyes gleamed with curiosity as they excitedly scanned the room. An encyclopedic tome was spread on the table in front of it, but the creature paid it no attention; it was too busy observing the stage of the world.

It's not that the creature wasn't used to the unusual denizens of the planes; the clockwork being was itself an oddity, a Rogue Modron who had broken away from its kin in Mechanus. Illithids, Fire Giants, Gith - the Modron had seen them all before. It was simply curious about how these particular specimens would act - were they atypical for their species, like the Modron itself? Would they interact with eachother, or stay segregated in their groups? Twenty such questions rolled through the little creature's mind at once, for it was in its very nature to be inquisitive; this was how it got the epitaph "Seeker" so long ago, and its ever-present inquisitiveness had earned him that label permanently.

Seeker watched the Gith's eyes settle upon the Illithid for more time than could be considered comfortable; the Modron observed the small smile on the fellow's lips. As Seeker watched the Gith's eyes scan the room, a whim seized the box-like being. Perhaps it was curiosity, perhaps it was simply an impulse; regardless, the Modron broke out into a wide grin and waved at the Gith, pointedly making eye contact in a bid to grab the creature's attention.

Dreamshifter
2008-10-19, 11:44 AM
Interesting mix of people, Zengral thought, just as the Modron started waving at him. A strange expression, perhaps a mixture of amusement and confusion, perhaps something stranger by far, crossed his face. But he could not resist the urge to talk to the construct of law. He crossed the room at a fast pace, though more from habit than any wish to rush.

"Greetings from Limbo, denizen of Mechanus" he said, as he sat down, "though I cannot help but wonder if you are as far from home as I. I am Zengral."

Frosty
2008-10-19, 01:37 PM
Lily the forgiving

Lily knows a bit of the history between the githerai and the mind-flayers, and while she understands a gith's desires to destroy mind-flayers, Lily prefers to resolve things peacefully, especially if the target of anger is not evil.

Concentration on her ability to detect the red-glow of Evil from others, she looks in the direction of th mind-flayer, checking to see if it is indeed evil. If not, then she will likely have to step in if the situation becomes violent.

Seeing the newcomer gith converse with the strange modron instead of confronting the mind-flayer right away, Lily relaxes a bit will still move a bit closer to perhaps eavesdrpp a bit just to make sure that the gith isn't just gathering allies to assault the mind-flayer.

Eldan
2008-10-19, 02:22 PM
The glow of evil around the mindflayer is faint, but existant. As Lily concentrates on the creature, it suddenly looks up, as if someone had touched it and gazes in her direction. A flat, emotionless voice appears in Lily's head, as the mindflayer continues to stare at her:
"In most societies it is considered to be most impolite to ascertain one's moral alignment without compelling reason... I must ask you to refrain from doing so."

Frosty
2008-10-19, 02:46 PM
Lily for Forgiving

Lily thinks back to the Mindflayer, "There is someone in the room who may wish you harm. Know that I will step in to stop the fight should one occur."

Cespenar
2008-10-19, 03:58 PM
Rhion

Rhion continues to mind his own business and focuses on finishing the stew in front of him. Seemingly, at the least.

He is, in fact, carefully keeping an ear out, trying to pick any information that he deems interesting.

Taking 10 on the Listen check equals 27.

Salvonus
2008-10-19, 09:34 PM
"Greetings from Limbo, denizen of Mechanus" he said, as he sat down, "though I cannot help but wonder if you are as far from home as I. I am Zengral."

"Hello, Limbo's Zengral," the Modron grinned, "I would agree that you appear to be far from home, but, for myself, the infinite reaches of the planes are my dwelling. People call me 'Seeker', and I must admit to a liking for that name."

Offering its semi-mechanical limb in a gesture of friendship, the clockwork outcast wasted no time with its questions. "What brings you here, Limbo's Zengral?"

Dreamshifter
2008-10-20, 01:42 PM
Zengral

Zengral accepts the offered hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Seeker. As for what brings me here, I am returning to Sigil once more. Recently, it has been more home to me than Limbo. But of course, both Sigil and Limbo share a certain degree of chaos, though Sigil's seems to stem more from the people, than any inherent trait. But as always, it will be a positive thing to arrive back home."

Salvonus
2008-10-20, 02:23 PM
Zengral

Zengral accepts the offered hand. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Seeker. As for what brings me here, I am returning to Sigil once more. Recently, it has been more home to me than Limbo. But of course, both Sigil and Limbo share a certain degree of chaos, though Sigil's seems to stem more from the people, than any inherent trait. But as always, it will be a positive thing to arrive back home."

Seeker:

"Ah, Sigil! Headed there myself!" Seeker exclaimed, "I have not been there for a decade, and truly have not spent as much time there as I would like. I plan on spending more time there, this time 'round; too many questions can make one need to flee quite quickly."

Shifting topic, Seeker rambled on like the absent-minded academic that it was, "I must confess, Chaos fascinates me; for countless years, I was a simply cog in the wheel of Mechanus. I remember little of those days - a curious and suspicious spell of forgetfulness, wouldn't you say? Yet, even though I was a construct of Law, a spark of Chaos led to me breaking free - a good decision, I must say, given that such blind following of Law truly appears to be mindless. Waving you over was my conscious attempt to insert some more Chaos into my experience; the possibilities excite me, quite frankly, as I cannot predict where this will lead. What think you? What prediction do you have for the immediate future?"

A curious thought crossed Seeker's mind; Perhaps I should probe the consciousness of the planes and divine something of the future...

(OOC: Seeker's charisma score is probably far more indicative of its friendliness and likeability than any social aptitude - as you can see, it's kinda... unusual... in its conversation. Telling people and asking them more than it should; perhaps it is innocence, or perhaps the Modron simply is curious.

And GAH I'm having trouble referring to Seeker as gender-neutral. I keep reverting to "he" and "his".)

Eldan
2008-10-20, 04:44 PM
An apparently rather drunk man stumbles over to Rhions table, swaggering around with a tankard full of beer in his hand, then smashing it on the table so that everything is showered in golden liquid and white foam.
"Ey, you one of them... godsmen? I know you people! I hear you're all crazy. Like, takin' that bird there with you! ... You think that thing is your reborn grandfather or something?"
He tries to focus on the hawk for a moment, then continues.
"Or your wife!"
A long, bellowing, loud and stinking laugh follows.
How's that? You an animal lover?"

Cespenar
2008-10-20, 04:52 PM
Rhion

Gazing at the drunk, Rhion makes no move as the beer sinks deep in his already dusty robe. His smile lingers on his face, but the hawk is momentarily afraid as it jumps back with its wings open and gets on top of Rhion's head, standing there like a totem.

"Animal lover, you say?" He examines the man from head to toe, as if considering to buy him.

"I'm not quite sure."

Dreamshifter
2008-10-20, 05:01 PM
Seeker:
Shifting topic, Seeker rambled on like the absent-minded academic that it was, "I must confess, Chaos fascinates me; for countless years, I was a simply cog in the wheel of Mechanus. I remember little of those days - a curious and suspicious spell of forgetfulness, wouldn't you say? Yet, even though I was a construct of Law, a spark of Chaos led to me breaking free - a good decision, I must say, given that such blind following of Law truly appears to be mindless. Waving you over was my conscious attempt to insert some more Chaos into my experience; the possibilities excite me, quite frankly, as I cannot predict where this will lead. What think you? What prediction do you have for the immediate future?"

Zengral's eyes light up, and his smile broadens. "A literal example of chaos in order? Fascinating. Clearly, there is order in the chaos that has lead me to you this day." Before he can continue, he hears the drunken fool. He looks over at the other table, rolling his eyes. "Clearly, however, stupidity has also followed me this day. I had hoped to be done with that level of vacuous headedness for now..."

Frosty
2008-10-20, 11:00 PM
Lily was putting on her helmet when the "WHUNK!" of the tankard hitting the table is heard throughout the tavern. The mind-flayer momentarily forgotten, Lily takes lance in hand, and strides toward the drunk man in a non-threatening way. "Would you please leave the man in peace? In return, I am willing to give you a gold piece for you to buy a few more drinks for yourself." she asks quite politely.

Cespenar
2008-10-21, 01:11 PM
Rhion

Glancing to the woman in full plate, Rhion guesses that she is probably a knight or something similar. He responds in a kind smile.

"I am grateful milady, though I'm sure that he was already on his way. Right, friend?"

The hawk stares intently at the drunk from the top of his head, as if emphasizing his words.

Salvonus
2008-10-21, 05:18 PM
Zengral's eyes light up, and his smile broadens. "A literal example of chaos in order? Fascinating. Clearly, there is order in the chaos that has lead me to you this day." Before he can continue, he hears the drunken fool. He looks over at the other table, rolling his eyes. "Clearly, however, stupidity has also followed me this day. I had hoped to be done with that level of vacuous headedness for now..."

"Hm. That inebriated human appears to be attempting to conflict with the animal-friend. I did hear, however, a mention amongst his slurs of the Godsmen; the Believers of the Source. As I count myself an ally of that Order, curiosity compels me to investigate. Would you care to come along? I'm certain we can continue our discussion momentarily."

Seeker slid off its chair, its metallic legs hitting the floor with a satisfying thump. The Modron's limbs were remarkably agile, given their seemingly awkward shape. Scuttling over to Rhion's table, Seeker hovered in the background, waiting patiently for the conflict to resolve itself. It was confident that the armored lady could easily handle it.

Dreamshifter
2008-10-21, 05:37 PM
"Hm. That inebriated human appears to be attempting to conflict with the animal-friend. I did hear, however, a mention amongst his slurs of the Godsmen; the Believers of the Source. As I count myself an ally of that Order, curiosity compels me to investigate. Would you care to come along? I'm certain we can continue our discussion momentarily."

Seeker slid off its chair, its metallic legs hitting the floor with a satisfying thump. The Modron's limbs were remarkably agile, given their seemingly awkward shape. Scuttling over to Rhion's table, Seeker hovered in the background, waiting patiently for the conflict to resolve itself. It was confident that the armored lady could easily handle it.

Zengral wears a bemused look, as he stands and follows the modron. "That would apparently make three of us in the room. That strikes me as beyond the limits that chaos could possibly cause..." And like Seeker, he waits for the conflict to either escalate or deminish before intervening.

Frosty
2008-10-21, 07:58 PM
Lily

Lily responds to the man in shaggy robes. "It would be remiss of me to stand idle and let an innocent be harmed, especially a possible fellow Godsman." Paying attention once more to the inebriated man, she continues, "What say you? Make peace and maybe make a friend today instead of one...or possibly more enemies?

Diplomacy Roll=33 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5149733#post5149733)

Eldan
2008-10-22, 06:05 AM
The drunk stares at Lily for a moment, slowly thinking his way through the situation.
"Yeah, right.", he then says, a contrite tone in his voice.
"Don't want no trouble with the two of you. I'll be going. Keep your gold."
He stumbles back to his own table, this time even without his tankard.

Cespenar
2008-10-22, 06:49 AM
Rhion

Both Rhion and the hawk watch the man as he returns to his table, and the hawk, now feeling a bit more safe, jumps down from Rhion's head to the table, turning his eyes to the woman.

"Thanks for that. It's unavoidable, really, to spend an evening in a tavern without things like this. That's why I usually avoid taverns.

Anyway, you had said 'a fellow Godsman', if I'm not mistaken. Care to join me and elaborate?"

His accent and speech belying his poor outlook, the traveler does a slight gesture at the empty chair.

Frosty
2008-10-22, 08:06 PM
Lily the relieved

Lily watches as the drunk staggers back to his table before paying attention to the man in poor robes once again. "I am glad my own alcohol tolerance is fairly high, for I would hardly be worthy of ascension if I let alcohol best my self-control eh?" Taking the chair and sitting down across from the man, she offers a gauntlet-covered hand. "My name is Lily. I have recently been enlightened to a portion of the Godsmen's glorious teaching."

Cespenar
2008-10-22, 10:57 PM
Rhion

Shaking the steel-clad hand as best as he could, Rhion smiles at the woman's brief explanation.

"Nice to meet you, Lily. I'm Rhion. And this is... Brown. As you heard correctly, (and I have no idea how that drunk saw it through), I'm a Godsman too. Or, at least, I've been trying to live to its ideals, but it's been a long time since I met another fellow Godsman. Or in your case, Godswoman."

Noticing that it's a bad joke the moment he put it out, Rhion chuckles wearily and redirects his eyes to the hawk. The hawk was gazing on the lady ever since, but it was as if it couldn't decide on something.

Salvonus
2008-10-23, 12:56 AM
Rhion

Shaking the steel-clad hand as best as he could, Rhion smiles at the woman's brief explanation.

"Nice to meet you, Lily. I'm Rhion. And this is... Brown. As you heard correctly, (and I have no idea how that drunk saw it through), I'm a Godsman too. Or, at least, I've been trying to live to its ideals, but it's been a long time since I met another fellow Godsman. Or in your case, Godswoman."

Noticing that it's a bad joke the moment he put it out, Rhion chuckles wearily and redirects his eyes to the hawk. The hawk was gazing on the lady ever since, but it was as if it couldn't decide on something.

Seizing the opportunity, Seeker began to walk forward to the table. The Modron's box-like figure was dominated by a large, friendly grin, concealing the rabid threads of curious thinking being processed in its clockwork mind. Half a dozen different threads of thought whirred through the pseudo-construct's cranium, each raising more questions than answers.

Three Believers of the Source in the same place; the rule of threes? The Order of the universe, or just Chaotic chance? Fated that we may aid eachother in ascension, or just a coincidence? What is coincidence, if not fate? But do we not make our own fate?

Still grinning, Seeker barely stopped itself from walking straight into the table; it was more than a bit absorbed in its thoughts. Boldly, the little fellow spoke up at the soonest opening in the conversation.

"Pardon the intrusion, but I could not help but overhear discussion of the Believers of the Source. I count myself as a proponent of the philosophy of ascension, and, as such, I am a member of that organization. Naturally, I find myself quite curious about two enlightened individuals such as yourselves being found in the same location, so I find myself compelled to introduce myself. I was called Seeker, once, and I enjoy that name; as such, I introduce myself as such."

Seeker's excited tone betrayed the formality and structure of its speech; it was not approaching this as an academic, but instead as a curious "Godsthing". The Modron's eyes twinkled slightly with excitement as it talked, although such a shift would only have been noticeable to the most perceptive of people.

(OOC: I'm assuming Zengral's comment was more to himself than to Seeker, and that Seeker does not yet know he is a Godsman.

By the way, Frosty, do Seeker and Lily know eachother? I know we vaguely discussed that in the old topic, but never did anything about it... If they do know eachother, I imagine Seeker only knows her Succubus form; so that would explain its failure to recognize her. I'm fine either way; just make a decision and run with it. Obviously, if Lily does know Seeker, now would be the time to bring that up. :smallsmile:)

Cespenar
2008-10-23, 02:18 PM
Rhion

Recognizing the creature as a Modron, Rhion tilts his head to this newcomer, his face displaying surprise, though a pleasant one, at least. The hawk glances to the newcomer too, and apparently finding it trustworthy, flies off and lands on Seeker's box-like head.

"Ehm... sorry for that, but it seems like Grey really likes you, and she's a good judge of people." He grins, but suddenly raises his head as if he remembers something. Pointing to the gith standing at the Modron's previous table, he continues.

"Maybe your friend would like to join with us too."

Dreamshifter
2008-10-23, 04:33 PM
Zengral

Having been left behind after the modron left for the table, Zengral had paused for a moment, then followed. His smile, which had faded while the prospect of battle was present, has returned, though it isn't nearly as broad, even relatively, as Seeker's."Indeed, Seeker, I find myself surprised that there are four Godsmen present at a location such as this."

He bows his head to the others. "I am Zengral, once of the Order of the Severed Tentacle, now simply another wanderer calling Sigil home."

Frosty
2008-10-23, 07:28 PM
Regarding the smiling modron with her own smile, she stands up and walks towards it with open arms. "Seeker. It has been months since we parted ways. I didn't see you earlier. It's me Lily!"

Salvonus
2008-10-24, 01:49 PM
Seeker was unperturbed by the avian perched on its head; rather, it was quite curious about why the hawk would do such a thing. Seeker nodded happily at Rhion's explanation, finding a strange pleasure in being an animal-friend.

Regarding the smiling modron with her own smile, she stands up and walks towards it with open arms. "Seeker. It has been months since we parted ways. I didn't see you earlier. It's me Lily!"

"Lily!", Seeker exclaimed, "I did not recognise you in this form! What happy chance that you would appear here!"

Its seemingly ever-present smile now growing larger by the minute, Seeker's mechanical arms reached out and embraced the Modron's old friend and companion. This "hug" had been a ritual of friendliness that Seeker had learned from Lily herself, and the clockwork creature had taken quite a liking to it.

Frosty
2008-10-24, 07:21 PM
Lily embraces Seeker for a few seconds before returning to an upright position. (how tall is Seeker btw?) "Yes, indeed it is fortunate fate that we are both here. I hear Sigil is more tolerant and diverse than most places, but it is still very dangerous and I disguised myself for the time being to draw as little attention to myself as possible. I hopemy first experience here will not be my last. What about you? What brings you to Sigil?"

Salvonus
2008-10-26, 12:47 AM
Lily embraces Seeker for a few seconds before returning to an upright position. (how tall is Seeker btw?) "Yes, indeed it is fortunate fate that we are both here. I hear Sigil is more tolerant and diverse than most places, but it is still very dangerous and I disguised myself for the time being to draw as little attention to myself as possible. I hopemy first experience here will not be my last. What about you? What brings you to Sigil?"

"Happy fate, as well." Seeker smiled, quite pleased to have found its old friend here, "I too seek a more diverse atmosphere. I have some questions I think might be answered there, if the whispers of my divinations are correct. I am very curious about the Believers of the Source stationed in Sigil; last time I was there, I did not have time to speak with them. Now, however, I have many questions about the nature of souls, as well as of ascendency. I've also heard rumours of certain individuals I wish to speak with again... My 'seeking' nature compels me to find answers, and perhaps new questions; thus, on to Sigil I march."

Frosty
2008-10-26, 12:44 PM
Zengral

Having been left behind after the modron left for the table, Zengral had paused for a moment, then followed. His smile, which had faded while the prospect of battle was present, has returned, though it isn't nearly as broad, even relatively, as Seeker's."Indeed, Seeker, I find myself surprised that there are four Godsmen present at a location such as this."

He bows his head to the others. "I am Zengral, once of the Order of the Severed Tentacle, now simply another wanderer calling Sigil home."

Turning to the fourth self-complaimed Godsperson, she also extends an armored hand to him. "Well, this close to Sigil, perhaps it is not a huge surprise to see multiple Believers of the Source. It is good to make your acquaintance , Zengral once of the Order of the Severed Tentacle. I am Lily, soldier of redemption."

Cespenar
2008-10-27, 09:42 AM
Rhion

Rhion nods at Zengral as a greeting, and after a moment of pondering, opens his mouth.

"Since we're all heading to Sigil, may I boldly suggest a companionship for the road? 'It's easier to share a path with a friend than with a stranger.', as the travelers say."

Rhion produces yet another smile and tries to summon the hawk, but she remains on Seeker's head, content with the location.

Dreamshifter
2008-10-27, 10:12 AM
Zengral took the offered hand, metal meeting soft leather. "It is always a pleasure to meet friends, especially new ones."

After Rhion's suggestion, Zengral nodded. "Sigil can be a chaotic place, and companions there would be most welcome. Especially when there are brain eaters about." He glanced back at the mind flayer once more, though with more mistrust than malice.

Salvonus
2008-10-27, 12:33 PM
Still amused by the bird perched upon his head, Seeker grinned at its newfound companions. "It is decided, then - we shall travel together! But where shall we go within that city? I must admit that my knowledge of Sigil is hazy at best; the times I've been there, I've left pretty quickly afterwards."

Frosty
2008-10-28, 02:09 AM
Without looking at the brain-eater, Lily says quietly, "Brain-eater or not, we should not judge without witnessing first hand a creature's actions, lest we be judged too quickly ourselves. So, when do you propose we head for Sigil?

Cespenar
2008-10-28, 11:10 AM
Rhion

"Any time you want." the man replies in a relaxed tone, looking at all three of them.

Dreamshifter
2008-10-29, 12:23 AM
Without looking at the brain-eater, Lily says quietly, "Brain-eater or not, we should not judge without witnessing first hand a creature's actions, lest we be judged too quickly ourselves. So, when do you propose we head for Sigil?

"If my memory serves me still, one of the portals should be opening shortly. Myself, I am ready to return to Sigil right away. As for where, I am somewhat... well, perhaps ambivalent is not the right description. There are many places in Sigil that hold much interest, that almost any destination would be acceptable."

Eldan
2008-10-31, 03:58 PM
At that moment, a narrow door behind the door opens, revealing the innkeeper, a tall and gaunt man with angular features and silvery skin. The light reflects of his bald head as he enters the room, approaches your group and announces:
"You are all godsmen, right? In that case, you may now enter the portal. Every afternoon it opens once, but only if several people of the same faction are present."
He leads you to a small room behind the bar, where a golden picture frame, larger than a man, but empty is leaning against the brick wall. As you step closer, a faint blue light flickers across the frame for a moment.
"There you are. I don't know where it will lead, but it will be in Sigil. Good luck."

Dreamshifter
2008-10-31, 08:31 PM
Zengral bows to the barkeep. "Then it is good that there are several of us here. I trust that we are all ready to depart?" He looks to see how many of the others here (beyond the band of godsmen) are readying to leave, specifically, the Mind Flayer.

Salvonus
2008-10-31, 09:49 PM
Zengral bows to the barkeep. "Then it is good that there are several of us here. I trust that we are all ready to depart?" He looks to see how many of the others here (beyond the band of godsmen) are readying to leave, specifically, the Mind Flayer.

"Chaotic portals... I find this very interesting and exciting!" Seeker grinned.

"Everything I need is here," it said, patting its haversack, "Any last-minute business before we proceed?"

Frosty
2008-11-01, 12:07 AM
Looking at the picture frame, a smile creeps onto Lily's face. "The beginning of adventure...and the path to enlightenment. The great wheel will guide us I am sure. I wonder if the portal is two-way..." Noticing the haversack, she asks of Seeker, "Seeker, I have yet to acquire one of those wondrous items for myself. Mayhaps you have a spare? While I can handle the weight of my accoutrements just fine, sometimes they can be a bit unwieldly to carry around. If not, I will have to work hard to earn the gold to purchase one somewhere."

Cespenar
2008-11-01, 04:39 AM
Rhion

Following the group from behind, Rhion packs nothing other than what is seen on his person, which equals to almost nothing. The hawk instinctively returns to her position at Rhion's left shoulder and looks around, expecting something to happen.

Eldan
2008-11-01, 04:03 PM
Harbinger House

Chapter 1: The Streets of Sigil

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4842/harbingerhouseoc7.jpg

You step through the portal, arriving in a small, dark room, barely large enough to hold you all. The air is thin, a feature typical of Sigil, but instead of the smell of smoke, fog and rain usually to be expected in the city of portals, you detect a faint trace of incent and spices in the warm air.
Suddenly, the door to your room is flung open, and light flushes in. A creature stands in the doorway, superficially resembling a tall, broad-shouldered humanoid, but covered in clean, sandy brown fur, eith clawed hands and the head of a fanged jackal. A wide, black stripe of fur partially encircles it's golden eyes like a bandit's mask, starting at the outside corner of one eye, swooping down across it's white snout and reaching the outside corner of the other. A robe speckled with gold, teal and black spots covers most of it's body, the remainder mostly hidden beneath a plethora of jewellry of all kinds, earrings, necklaces and rings.

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/3046/akinjs0.jpg

Showing it's long, sharp fangs, the creature starts to talk, in what seems to be a friendly voice, along with a broad smile and glittering eyes.
"Oh dear, oh dear. Has a portal opened back here? I really have to renew my wards. Please, follow me to the front, if you please.
But I am forgetting my manners. My name is A'kin, at your service. This is my shop, the Friendly Fiend. May I offer you some tea? Or would you like something else?"
The creature steps back, revealing what is obviously a shop, a large room filled with velvet cushions around a low table, and walls lined with hundreds of bins and small boxes, each of them containing an other kind of small trinket, toy, gadget or piece of jewellery, each of them glittering in the light of a large lantern hanging from the ceiling, carefully crafted from silver, with a myriad of tiny glass windows in all colours of the rainbow.
In the center of the room, as well as along the walls you also see larger objects: expensive looking clothing, masterfully crafted armor and weapons, large gems and other strange objects, each of them sealed behind glass.

Dreamshifter
2008-11-02, 03:41 PM
Zengral bows his head to A'kin.I must apologize for the intrusion, though there was little we could have done to control our destination. And tea sounds delightful."

After following A'kin to the front, Zengral's eyes light up, though a quick glance at his coin bag takes some of glee out of him. He stares at the various weapons, impressed by their craftsmanship.

Salvonus
2008-11-02, 06:21 PM
"My most sincere apologies for our sudden appearance, as well. My physiology does not really permit the consumption of tea, but thanks for the offer." Seeker smiled, following closely behind Zengral. "But conversation I am fond of, so do please tell us what news you have of Sigil, if you can spare the time. It has been years since I was last here; in fact, what know you of the scenario of the factions?"

"Ah, my apologies for my impatience." Seeker grinned in a learned expression of sheepishness, "I am just a very curious Planewalker. I would be happy to exchange stories with you, if you wish to add to your own collection."

Cespenar
2008-11-03, 05:36 PM
Rhion

Nodding briefly to A'kin, Rhion gazes around him, examining the various exotic items in a casual manner. His limited curiosity suggests that he either isn't interested in these kinds of stuff, or has seen many like them before. He momentarily hesitates when the others accept the creature's offer so readily, but he makes no comment nor allows any change in his expression.

Eldan
2008-11-03, 05:52 PM
A'kin walks ahead, and gestures at the pillows.
"Please, please, sit down. Tea will be ready momentarily, I always have some prepared."
He vanishes behind a curtain of beads for only a handfull of seconds, then returns with a tray on which four cups and a teapot, all made from paper-thin white china, filling them with golden tea while he continues talking.
"Nothing too unusual is going on, I'm affraid. It's the month of Pivot, which means the Sign of one is out to prove everyone that they are the best and most neutral diplomats, in addition to being the fastest to act in just about everything. Well, it of course affects others too, so everyone is a little quicker to act than normal.
Apart from that, well, I just recently got this wonderful shipment of Golden Tea from Bytopia. Please, try it."
He hands the cups to everyone except Seeker, then continues.

Frosty
2008-11-04, 02:24 AM
Lily herself takes quick stock of the contents of the store, and then re-focuses her attention on their apparently gracious host. She does indeed take a seat on a pillow, but keeps all of her equipment with her. When tea is offered, she actually waves it away politely. "I am not highly enamored with tea myself, although I'm sure you brew only the best. I do not require any drinks at this time but I thank you for your generosity."

Dreamshifter
2008-11-04, 11:13 AM
Zengral sips his tea, enjoying the newness of the flavour. "Oh, my. This is quite something. Bytopian Golden, you say? I'll have to keep that in mind when next I purchase some tea."

Then, a slightly confused look crosses his face. "Pivot, you say? Interesting, I seem to have lost a few weeks in my travels, I expected it to be the end of Savorus. It is well we have arrived when we did." He sips this tea again, and the confusion fades, replaced by pleasure. "Such wonderful tea, a thousand thanks."

Cespenar
2008-11-05, 05:57 AM
Rhion takes a small sip from the tea, but his expression doesn't change much, considering the ever-persistent smile on his face.

"This is very good." A pause. "I myself know a thing or two about preparing good tea, but Bytopia is simply insurmountable in this subject. It is kind of you to treat complete strangers with such fine tea."

Eldan
2008-11-06, 02:55 PM
"Pivot indeed," A'kin nodded, then continued.
"And there's a secret to this tea: it has to be cooked with...

In this moment, the ring of a small silver bell interrupts A'kin, who turns around, his eyes turning big after only a moment. He took a step back and suspiciously eyed the newcomer.
In the doorway, half on the street, half inside, stood a young elf, a friendly smile on his face, his head shaved. He wore a simple, bright orange robe over bare feet. Around his neck hung a small necklace, most likely the source of A'kin's confusion:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/7104/200289-lady_of_pain_s_crest_large.gif

A palm-sized amulet of tarnished bronze, showing the spiked face of the lady of Pain.

"Excuse me, dear Shopkeeper, but I am new to Sigil and looking for Bloodgem park. Where might I find it?"

Salvonus
2008-11-07, 05:20 PM
Seeker stared openly at the medallion around the elf's neck. You... can't do that in Sigil, can you? it thought to itself, a puzzled expression replacing the Modron's recently near-constant grin. Seeker quickly grabbed the tome it'd compiled of its own research into Sigil, swiftly shifting pages until it reached the section of the Lady of Pain. Confirming its suspicions, the Modron cautiously shifted its book towards the rest of the party, a clockwork finger pointing out the particular passage of interest.

Wordlessly, the Modron gave a quizzical look to its companions.

Dreamshifter
2008-11-07, 06:22 PM
Zengral's eyes followed their host, and his smile faded at A'kin's reaction. As the orange robed person started to speak, he saw the reason. He missed the question entirely, nearly dropping his teacup as his normal calm abandoned him entirely. Before he was aware of standing, he had knocked down his chair and taken several steps back. "Do you know what that amulet represents?" His question doesn't necessarily seem to be directed at the man in the doorway, though it might be.

Cespenar
2008-11-07, 06:51 PM
"I don't assume that he doesn't know who she is, but either he doesn't know about her reaction to such an action, or he has another thing in his mind.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the importance of this month..." Rhion trails away in thoughts.

Eldan
2008-11-07, 06:53 PM
"Why of course I do," the elf replies, the perpetual, calm smile still on his face.
"It is the Lady of Pain. Her Serenity. She who Flays. My, nay, our great love."

Frosty
2008-11-07, 10:24 PM
Lily knows just enough about The Lady of Pain's reputation to wonder how this elf hasn't suffered a horrific death yet. "I apoloige, I do not know my way around the city and can't assist you." She does not shift away from the elf however.

Dreamshifter
2008-11-09, 04:47 AM
Zengral's expression grows harder. "And in knowing the meaning of that amulet, you are prepared to accept the consequences of bearing such an item? For such action is rarely without consequences, for both yourself and those around you."

He does not wait for an answer. "As to the location of the place you seek, I am not familiar with this area, so I cannot help you. Perhaps A'kin can help speed you on your way." He looks at the fiend, almost pleadingly, in an effort to get the elf away from the store as quickly as possible.

Eldan
2008-11-09, 05:32 PM
"We love the Lady of Pain,/COLOR] the half-elf says with obvious devotion.
[COLOR="Magenta"]"She is our moon, our sun, the very air we breathe. Without her love we are nothing, so we have come to Sigil to court her and bask in her overwhelming beauty. You should join us, my friends, for the Lady will love you too."
A'kin, visibly distrought, steps a little closer:
"Listen, you can get yourself killed however you want, berk, but don't do it in my shop. Now, to get to bloodgem park, you go to the crossing over there, and then..."
He gives a long explanation of what actually seems to be a short way, then half guides, half pushes the visitor out of his door.
"These madmen. I hope not more of them are coming. Flayings in the vicinity are bad for business, I tell you."

Dreamshifter
2008-11-09, 08:13 PM
Zengral sighed softly, mostly in relief. He was still staring at the doorway. "I fear your hopes may be in vain, A'kin. The way he said we... I fear there may be many. I hope that none of the others end up in your vicinity. Tea such as this should not be interrupted by the soon to be dead."

The thought of tea brought a smile back to his face, which faded as he saw he'd spilled most of his. "Ahh, what a waste..."

Frosty
2008-11-10, 01:18 AM
Lily watches the apparent madman leave the shop, and then asks casually, "What is there of import at Bloodgem Park? I am curious. Aren't you, Seeker? If nothing else, we should know how not to wander to it accidentally."

Salvonus
2008-11-10, 01:31 AM
Seeker's face was masked with an expression of utter curiosity as it responded to Lily's question. "Indeed!" the Modron exclaimed, You'll have to pardon me, dear Lily, but I find myself compelled to probe the hyper-conscious realms and investigate this park from the safety of this kind A'Kin's shop..

With that, Seeker entered a psionic trance. Its eyes suddenly lit up to orbs of blazing silver, a faint rainbow emanating and quickly dissipating from the Modron's clockwork body. Seeker was lost to its surroundings, the entirety of its being dedicated to divining the nature of this "Bloodgem Park".

Seeker spends 7 pp on a divination (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/divinationPsionic.htm).

I'm not sure how you want to do this - do I need to have a specific question, or will you just provide whatever you think is relevant and divine-able? Essentially, Seeker is just trying to find out what's going to happen there.

Eldan
2008-11-13, 03:34 PM
A picture appears in Seekers mind, that of a large, open square, where a dozen stone statues surround a fountain showing a man in armor holding a gem up in the air. Three young humanoids, one clearly a female elf, the other two with their backs to the point of view are surrounding it, all wearing the same orange robes, one of them carrying a large bouquet of red roses. They all have smiles on their faces and appear to be talking to each other.
But then, the picture fades, being replaced by that of a glowing portal opening beneath an arc of stone which appears to be high on top of a large building, apparently part of a gothic roof, with long, metal blades portruding from it, common for Sigilian buildings. From the portal, a voice can be heard:
"This is the Essence of Destruction, born from the Blood of Law."

Salvonus
2008-11-13, 08:38 PM
Wordlessly, Seeker took a piece of paper from its haversack and transcribed the entire scene.

A large, open square, where a dozen stone statues surround a fountain showing a man in armor holding a gem up in the air. Three young humanoids, one clearly a female elf, the other two with their backs to the point of view are surrounding it, all wearing the same orange robes, one of them carrying a large bouquet of red roses. They all have smiles on their faces and appear to be talking to each other.

--Fades--

A glowing portal opening beneath an arc of stone which appears to be high on top of a large building, apparently part of a gothic roof, with long, metal blades portruding from it, common for Sigilian buildings. From the portal, a voice can be heard:
"This is the Essence of Destruction, born from the Blood of Law."

Seeker sat in silence, contemplating what it saw. The Modron wordlessly shifted the piece of paper to the centre of the table, allowing its companions to view the results of the divination.

Dreamshifter
2008-11-13, 10:05 PM
Zengral reads the words silently. He pauses to think for a moment after he finishes, and says "Essence of destruction, born from the blood of law? That does not strike me as an even remotely good thing. And the two scenes, they seem almost... disconnected. This worries me. There is more going on here that can be easily explained."

He looks almost disappointed as he continues "I begin to think that perhaps we should seek to understand this further."

Cespenar
2008-11-14, 03:25 AM
Rhion takes the page last, and after silently and slowly reading it, puts it back on the table.

"Maybe the 'Blood of the Law' means someone... or something... connected somehow... to the Lady of Pain?" he muses, smiling at his own vague words.

"What do your deductive skills draw from this, Seeker?"

Frosty
2008-11-15, 01:14 AM
Lily thinks for a moment. "Blood of Law...perhaps it may have something to do with the Devils and the Blood War? Well, there's no use speculating here. Firstly, we must decide whether it is worth our time to investigate this. If we think they may be doing evil to this city, then we have a moral obligation to investigate. Otherwise, let them practice their...religion in peace...for as long as they are able before the Lady of Pain skewers them anyways."

Salvonus
2008-11-15, 01:55 AM
"I feel as if there is something seriously wrong with this situation." Seeker said, finally speaking up. "This divination has only piqued my curiosity more. Lily, there would be no evil in investigating peaceably. The potential for ill certainly seems to be there; that final image is quite striking to me."

"Rhion, to me, it seems as if people like that bright-spirited Elf have been duped by a cult with more sinister purposes. They seem to be cheerfully going about their business, and I detect no ill intent from their actions. The second image feels connected to the first, however, so I have a feeling something is afoot at Bloodgem Park - something quite intimately connected to initiates of the sort we saw earlier. I wonder how those initiates are being used, if indeed they are connected to the second image - they could be a front, a distraction; they could be sacrifices of some sort; they could have been duped into thinking they are on an ascendant path, perhaps ex-Godsmen; or they could be willing agents, but somehow I doubt that. I think we certainly need to investigate - negligence would be irresponsible."

Dreamshifter
2008-11-15, 04:54 PM
Zengral nods his head. "To not at least investigate would be irresponsible of, to say the least. And truthfully, I doubt they would mind our presence, since they did offer an invitation to us. As for speculating on just what Blood of Law means, like many divinations, it is vague. Too much so for us to do more than guess randomly, yet. However, if there are answers to be found, they will be at Bloodstone park."

He turns to A'kin, and bows his head. "Thank-you for the lovely tea, and your hospitality. I hope that next time we visit, we will be fortunate enough to enter the front door."

Cespenar
2008-11-16, 03:04 AM
The smile leaves Rhion's face for a serious, but again, calm look as Seeker explains his prediction, and he briefly nods to the notion of investigating the matter.

A moment later though, reminded by the githzerai, Rhion turns to A'kin, and his smile reappearing, he utters a soft "Thank you for everything." before leaving with the others.

Eldan
2008-11-17, 12:13 PM
The world outside greets you with the with the typical panorama of the lower ward: clouds of black, caustic smoke drift by, partially originating from the Foundry at the other end of the Ward, partially caused by the many cooking fires burning in the houses all around you. The typical smell is of course present: a mixture of fiendish exhalations, excrement, rain and smoke. Above you, barely visible between the clouds, you see the faint lights of the other side of Sigils ring through the ever-present mist, and the grey sky beyond.
Few people are out on the street, even though it's near peak, the brightest part of Sigil's "day". A handful of tieflings, all covered in soot and grease march by, hands in their pockets or carrying heavy tools, eyes on the streets. All have clear signs of their fiendish ancestry: black skin, yellow cat-eyes, horns or fangs. One has green, insectile compound eyes, while another one, carrying a sledgehammer over his back.
Even though you are near the Lady's ward, Sigils most expensive and luxurious ward, this area doesn't show any of it. The Temple of the Abyss, a huge and monolithic building of black marble and silver blades stands nearby, on the exact border of the two wards, towering over the nearby blocks of houses, the lonely corpse of a sacrifice still hanging from it's blades.

Frosty
2008-11-19, 12:50 AM
Lily hisses when she sees the corpse. "That this vile temple is allowed to stand here irks me. I do not know too much about Sigil, but why do citizens not band together and destroy this accursed temple of evil? Surely they are not doing good in the community?"

Cespenar
2008-11-19, 01:10 PM
Throwing a sad look at both the black temple and Lily, Rhion speaks, although at a key lower.

"I assume that's got to do with Sigil's general attitude of impartiality."

Dreamshifter
2008-11-19, 09:11 PM
Zengral nods. "Indeed, to go to war to destroy the temple, however distasteful, would likely invoke the Lady's wrath, and none wish to suffer that fate. Certain, violence is acceptable, but on such a scale, it would destabilize things, and that the Lady does not seem to like much. Thus, it remains. In the end, all are welcome in Sigil."

He pauses for a moment. "Well, all but the Powers, that is.

Frosty
2008-11-20, 03:07 AM
Lily continues to have a look of disgust. "Still, the temple must be causing suffering and destruction! At the very least, they murdered an inbdividual! Are ther eno laws here against that?"

Salvonus
2008-11-20, 10:00 AM
Seeker made a noise approximating a sad sigh, even though the little creature didn't even breathe. "Lily, there are things that are simply not within our means to accomplish right now." the Modron stated softly, its clockwork hand reaching up to pat Lily's shoulder in a comforting manner, "I, too, am curious as to this temple and what we may do about it in the future. We must focus on investigating this Bloodgem Park right now, though - even one of such a wandering mind as myself recognises that, to study anything, one must be able to focus their mind. Friend, we shall return to this scene later, and I will attempt to uncover, via my divinations, the truth of this matter - I promise you this, Lily, and I learned of that concept from you. For now, though, we must act where we potentially can change the course of things; and, right now, I would deduce that it is at Bloodgem Park."

Dreamshifter
2008-11-25, 09:08 AM
"Seeker is correct. There is only so much we can do at one time, and while others know about the temple, we are among the few who would know what is happening at the park. Perhaps, too, both are linked? Both exist in close proximity, so acting on one may affect the other. But our priority should remain the park."

Eldan
2008-11-25, 11:38 AM
Bloodgem Park, located only a few blocks away, is a small square between buildings. The only visible plants are a few small bushes of razorvine, the only plant actually capable of surviving in Sigil, a vicious weed from the lower plans, with black stems and knife-like metallic leaves.
In the middle of the square stands a statue of a young warrior in armor, holding up a gem in one hand and pressing the other on a bleeding wound in his side.
Only a single person is standing in the square, a young man in orange robes, with white hair and a bluish skin tone, arranging an armful of roses on a makeshift altar, made from a steel box and a hand-sized symbol of the Lady.

Frosty
2008-11-26, 09:02 PM
Lily arrives onto the scene, and surveys the environs cautiously. It would do no good to rush in blindly. She will look around carefully, and then also try to see if this man is the same man they met in the store.

Cespenar
2008-11-27, 09:14 AM
After gazing at the scene for several seconds, Rhion crouches and diverts his attention to the weird razor-like plant that is growing around. He squints and touches the vine with a gentle hand, examining it.

1d20+10

Salvonus
2008-11-29, 09:43 AM
The Modron's curiosity got the better of it, and, after standing in silence with Lily for several minutes, the specimen of living clockwork began to trundle over to the orange-robed man. Once again shaping its mouth into a smile, Seeker inquired as to what the man was doing.

"Hello there, friend! My apologies, but I am only recently arrived to Sigil and very curious about your particular religion there. Would you care to explain to me the tenets of your faith, as well as how you came by it? Again, my apologies for the forthright nature of my request - I am a traveling scholar, and, as such, my curiosity tends to get the better of me. You appear to me to be a good-spirited fellow, so I hope you can sense my positive intent here."

Eldan
2008-11-29, 07:16 PM
The Blueskinned man turns around. His hair floats around his head, as if it was suddenly caught in a breeze, then settles again as he stands still. He smiles brightly at seeker.
"Of course, friend. My name is Esezei Windkissed. I am, as are others, here to express my undying love to the Lady of Pain. I was back home, in Elysium, when a traveller named Trolan came by. Little did I know back then, but as we talked, I just could feel the neverending, beautiful love tihs man had for the lady, and I wanted to be part of it."

Salvonus
2008-11-29, 08:37 PM
"Friend Esezei, could you tell me more about Trolan? He sounds like a fascinating fellow! Where do the worshippers of your faith congregate? I am, myself, fascinated with the Lady of Pain, truth be told." Seeker smiled brightly at Esezei.

Cespenar
2008-11-30, 05:48 AM
Listening the conversation from afar, Rhion couldn't help but be impressed by the situation, grinning slightly. Still crouching near the razorvine, he speaks softly, partly to himself and partly to his two companions nearby.

"I'm impressed. Frankly, I didn't know that Modrons could spin words so deftly."

Dreamshifter
2008-11-30, 08:33 AM
Zengral can't help but smile and nod. "Indeed, that is most definitely not a normal Modron. Though, his straight forwardness, while normal, is certainly serving him well. Though, I use the term 'him' very loosely, naturally."

He waits to see what results Seeker gets, before moving any closer, even if things sound positive so far.

Eldan
2008-12-01, 02:31 PM
Esezei smiles broadly, a dreamy expression on his face.
"Ah, Trolan. An Aasimar, if I'm not mistaken, and quite handsome. But his greatest talent was his voice. Whenever he talked, everyone understood exactly what he meant, could feel his intentions and feelings... it was the most beautiful expression of love I've ever heard, and I've heard the Guardinals sing."

Salvonus
2008-12-01, 08:43 PM
"Even in all my travels, I have not yet heard the song of the Guardinals... It sounds precious indeed, from what I have read." Seeker smiled, its absent-mindedness briefly sidetracking it.

"But, good Esezei, if his voice truly surpasses that song, than I should like to hear it for myself. It sounds like a melody equal to any meditation, one that clears the mind and cleanses the soul. My curiosity compels me, now, to see if I may share in the experience that brought your own kind soul here. Is Trolan in Sigil as we speak? Could you, perhaps, direct me towards this font of wisdom and beauty?" Seeker continued to smile at the blue-skinned man, genuinely enjoying the conversation.

The little clockwork construct was not, persay, stretching the truth, even though it harboured a deep suspicion over the true nature of Trolan's objectives - it genuinely wanted to meet this charming man. However, the second image from the divination came to Seeker's mind. It was almost as if Esezei had been charmed into coming here - but, if Trolan had as many followers as Seeker suspected, there was no way that could be a magical or psionic compulsion... Or could it? In the short time while Seeker waited for the man's response, the living machine of its mind began to process all these speculations in parallel. Things to think about, indeed...

Frosty
2008-12-02, 03:09 AM
The disguised succubus whispers to Zengral, "Seeker is indeed no normal Modron. I am glad to call him a friend. But that is a discussion for another tme. I would like to know whether or not these people are indeed in mortal danger. Does the Lady of Pain distinguish between love and worship?"

Dreamshifter
2008-12-02, 03:52 AM
Zengral shrugs, and whispers back "The lady distinguishes between any two concepts as much as she feels like on any given day. Which is to say she is... well, no. not a creature of chaos as such, but rather a creature nearly beyond our understanding. In the end, the rules that we know exist, we know only from seeing the results of breaking them. Certainly, the Lady accepts degrees of respect, and perhaps even love, but I do not believe anyone knows where those limits lie, and how strictly they will be enforced. Perhaps love itself is fine, but active display of that love constitutes worship? I do not know for certain, but my feeling is that these people are definitely nearing, or perhaps past, that line."

He then smiles. "And, I begin to think that meeting all of you is a good thing, for I have not had this much discourse in such a short time, on any subject, for many years."

Cespenar
2008-12-02, 04:41 AM
"Well put." Listening to the end of Zengral's explanation, Rhion rises slowly from his feet with an intent expression on his face.

"I had put some thought on this subject during one of my journeys too, and my theory would be that because the will can change the reality, and much more powerfully here in Sigil, being worshipped by many people may indeed change one's character, and the Lady must preserve herself from the slightest change if she wishes to rule over this place and remain powerful enough to fend off any possible assaults from other entities.

Following that, a plan to make people worship the Lady may be a part of a scheme to undermine the Lady's power."

Eldan
2008-12-02, 06:45 AM
"Trolan himself?"
The blue-skinned man ponders the question for a few seconds.
"No... no, he isn't in Sigil himself, I would suspect. He came from Sigil after he had his revelation. Back to his home city of Ecstasy first, then to Elysium, from where he left to travel the ring. He told us he would come back to the city soon, though."

Dreamshifter
2008-12-03, 06:21 AM
Zengral looks surprised by Rhion's comments, then virtually facepalms. "That makes entirely too much sense, and it mystifies me that it did not occur. How better to stage a war or a takeover on Sigil, than to mess with people's perception of the Lady? And given the power of belief, it would indeed be a viable option to manipulate her in this way. Forming a cult that believes with all their heart that the Lady is a being to be loved by all, certainly could do much to make her less aggressive, and thus, easier to remove."

After a moment's pause, he continues. "Yes, this is quite something we have stumbled on. It is impressive that this Trolan managed to escape her power the first time."

Salvonus
2008-12-03, 04:01 PM
"Well, then, friend Esezei, where might I find more of the Lady's admirers?" Seeker responded.

Frosty
2008-12-06, 01:55 AM
Wakingup to Seeker, Lily says, "Given the preparations here, I'd wager that more woul be gathering here in the near future. Is there some sort of events planned here today?"

Eldan
2008-12-06, 06:32 AM
"We didn't have much planned in the way of events, just to gather here and express our admiration together. Two others are already here, they went to that tavern over there, to ask for rooms."
Esezei points at a small inn just off the square, the sign on which says "The Bloody Razor".

Dreamshifter
2008-12-10, 10:16 AM
Following Lily's example, Zengral walks up to ask his own question. "So, have you any idea how many will turn out for this event? Just you three, or perhaps many more? It could be difficult to procure enough rooms if the crowd is large."

Cespenar
2008-12-10, 05:24 PM
Giving out a sigh, Rhion follows Zengral and Lily loosely from behind, but keeps silent.

Hope the sudden increase of questions won't scare them off. Hmph.

Eldan
2008-12-11, 05:07 PM
"I have no idea how many people Trolan has talked to. But the lady's love can be shared with everyone."
With a sigh, the man puts down his roses, instead taking a piece of cloth and polishing the symbol of the Lady of Pain.

Frosty
2008-12-13, 03:46 AM
"Love...what exactly is deserving of love? Is having great power and near-perfection in itself deserving of love, or should love be meted out to those of good deeds? No...children are often loved, but they have done no great feats of good or kindness for the most part. I believe we must defie our terms carefully here." the disguised succubus thinks to herself.

She poses a queston to Esezei to follow her train of thought. "Mayhaps you could clear the fog of questions that cloud my mind right now. You say you love the Lady of Pain...but why? Is it to achieve some end, or prhaps you share in her philosophies, whatever they may be, and hope for her cntinued success? What exactly do you mean by your love? I am confused because I keep thinking you be giving her 'adolation' instead of 'love' if you unerstand my meaning."

Eldan
2008-12-13, 11:32 AM
"Not adolation... or not adolation alone. She does not know of our love, so we seek to court her. She is beautiful, wise and powerful. She protects everyone in this city and she loves everyone here, though most can not see it. We want to sing her praises, express our feelings, give our thanks, so that she will see how much we love her."

Salvonus
2008-12-17, 09:03 AM
"Friend Esezei, I believe it might be prudent for an inquirer such as myself to speak with more of your Order." Seeker smiled broadly, "I shall see if your fellows in adoration can shed any more light on Trolan's enlightening words. It is my hope that I shall see you again soon. Fare thee well!"

After exchanging the pleasantries of departure with Esezei, Seeker began to trundle its little clockwork body towards the Bloody Razor.

Dreamshifter
2008-12-17, 10:26 AM
Zengral bows to Esezei. "A pleasure. Perhaps the opportunity to talk will arise again some time, but for now, we had better follow our Modron friend. Someone has to keep him out of trouble after all." And with a graceful movement follows after Seeker.

Frosty
2008-12-18, 02:47 AM
Being the more martial of the bunch, Lily gives the orange-robed man a salute by holding a gauntleted fist to her chestpeice for a second before heading off to the Blooy Razor as well.

Cespenar
2008-12-18, 05:24 PM
Again, keeping silent, Rhion politely nods to the man and follows his companions to the inn. Far to the sky, a familiar hawk circles around joyfully, enjoying the winds, which makes the man throw a brief upward look, but not cease his movement.

Eldan
2008-12-22, 06:31 PM
The Bloody Razor is a small, gloomy tavern. Only four tables, all made from polished slabs of iron, are placed around a central stone column, covered by what appears to be the soot of decades, deposited there by four cast iron lanterns, each in the shape of crossed blades.
Two of the tables are occupied: on the one to the left of the exit, you see two men and a woman, engaged in a conversation. One man, gnome judging by his small size, pointed ears, large nose and unruly hair, wears a heavy, brown cloak, with the symbol of the Athar faction woven into it in black thread. The other two wear similar symbols, one on his shoulder, the woman tattooed on her forehead.

http://folk.uio.no/gahegsvo/rpg/planescape/factions/images/athar5.gif

On the other table, you see the young elf from the shop, engaged in a conversation with three others: an ork with waist-long white hair, a dwarf with a forked, blonde beard and a human woman with a bald head. They all wear the same orange robes and have identical, serene smiles on their faces.

Salvonus
2008-12-23, 11:56 PM
Turning to Lily, Seeker spoke to its old friend, "Lily, please do talk to that Gnome of the Athar over there. I would like to know if he has any comment upon the Lady's admirers. Please remember to be diplomatic in speech - we don't want to cause trouble. I shall go and speak with the orange-robes, as they tend to be very receptive of me if Esezei was any indication."

Addressing the rest of the group, Seeker smiled as gently as it could manage - the result, however, looked more forced than its usual facial expressions. The Modron's mastery of humanoid expression of emotion still left something to be desired. "The rest of you should perhaps come with me - I wish to see what more these Lady-worshippers have to say."

Slowly walking towards the table where the orange-clad worshippers were seated, Seeker smiled as it approached. "May I sit with you, friends? I have just spoken to Esezei, and I feel compelled to learn more of your unique admiration for the Lady."

Eldan
2008-12-25, 04:24 PM
The three cultists move their chairs aside to make a little space for seeker, then the Ork adressed him:
"Please, do so. Our arms are open for everyone."

Salvonus
2008-12-25, 05:17 PM
Seeker smiled broadly as he sat - this was one facial expression that it had mastered to the point of it feeling natural, and its genuine nature was quite clear. "My friends, I am an inquisitive one, who walks the planes in eternal search of enlightenment and the nature of souls. I am quite curious about Trolan and the admirers of the Lady, as you seem to be strolling towards a path of enlightenment, yourselves. Could you explain to me more of your faith and your prophet?"

Dreamshifter
2008-12-26, 01:44 AM
Zengral follows the Modron over, but makes no effort to sit. His stance, though, is relaxed, and he bears a smile. Perhaps not as broad as Seeker's, but still as genuine. He does not speak, though, letting the talkative cube ask the questions.

Orange is such a bright color. Perhaps I should acquire a robe in that color for myself? Once this is all over, of course. Or perhaps not, it could be useful being mistaken for one of them, once things get more chaotic. Unless of course, the Lady is directly involved. I do not want her to think I am one of them. He gives the robes a second (or perhaps fifth or sixth) glance, but decides it would clash with his skin. Besides, where would it blend in? A desert, maybe, but even then, yellow would work better...

Eldan
2008-12-26, 08:27 AM
"It is quite easy.", says the fork-bearded dwarf in a raspy, harsh voice.
"Trolan awoke and knew that he loved the Lady. He has been preaching it years ago, before he left. Now he has come back, and shared his love with us.
You see, the Lady protects this city from harm, because she loves everyone in it, and the city itself. She is not a prisoner, as some say, she is a lover."

Cespenar
2008-12-26, 08:33 AM
Following Seeker to the table, Rhion too doesn't take a seat and almost mirrors Zengral's stance with his calm posture.

Heh. We must seem like its bodyguards or something, standing like this.

Amused by the thought, he slightly grins and looks to the gith's side, wondering what he is thinking.

Salvonus
2008-12-26, 11:37 AM
"It is quite easy.", says the fork-bearded dwarf in a raspy, harsh voice.
"Trolan awoke and knew that he loved the Lady. He has been preaching it years ago, before he left. Now he has come back, and shared his love with us.
You see, the Lady protects this city from harm, because she loves everyone in it, and the city itself. She is not a prisoner, as some say, she is a lover."

"Do you have a place in which you gather to revere her, or is the entirety of Sigil her temple? I am truly interested to observe your reverence of her. Oh, my apologies if you find that offensive! I do not see you as a curiosity, but fellow travellers. I am a scholar of enlightenment, you see, and I would like to visit your place of worship to see if I can learn more about your special path with my own senses," Seeker inquired gently, not wishing to offend the orange-robed individuals.

Eldan
2008-12-26, 11:45 AM
"Sigil is indeed a temple in it's entirety, as you so nicely put it. The Lady sees all and hears all that happens here, so we can worship her in all places."
Now third cultist continues.
"And don't worry, we would never be offended by questions about the Lady and our love."

Frosty
2008-12-27, 07:15 PM
The decor here is gloomy enough to rival some establishments in the great Abyss itself! Heeding Seeker's advice, the women walks over to the slab of iron occupied by The Lost, her armor'sclink certainly announcing her approach. After removing her helm and giving a respectful nod, she attempts to start conversation. "Greetings, Defiers." she begings softly. "I am Lily, a newcomer to Sigil, but not to planar travel. Even new as I am, I have seen some rather disturbing things. If it troubles you not too much, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about the...other patrons of this establishment. They seem to hold some rather unhealthy philosophies."

Eldan
2009-01-06, 02:13 PM
As Lily approaches the Athar's table, she can hear the woman talk to the others in a low voice.
"...near the shattered temple. Dead like the others."
Then, as they are spoken to, they turn around to face her, the woman apparently angry at being interrupted, but then answering the question:
"If there's one thing certain on the plans, than that the Lady is just about the only being not willing to be worshipped. Guess that means she is at least better than all these other cosmic bullies.
Anyway, when I came here this morning, two of them were here already. Talking on and on about Her Serenity. Something's fishy, though. They should have been flayed in minutes and are still here."

Frosty
2009-01-09, 02:40 AM
ooc - It's been too long...which is the Shattered Temple again? Does my character know of this temple?

Lily listens with respect, not wanting them to get any more agitated. "Well, I suppose some of the Powers can be very pushy, but from what I hear none so pushy as the Lady when she is worshipped. I'm trying to find out why the Lady hasn't...pushed back against these apparent worshippers. And as a logical extension, finding out whether theres a huge, dangerous backlash building up about to hit these people. If so, there could be much collateral damage and innocents harmed."

Eldan
2009-01-09, 03:01 AM
Now the gnome takes up the discussion as well, in a voice that is slightly too high-pitched to be comfortable.
"Well, at least the Lady is the only one to push when worshipped and not the other way round...
Then, the woman continues:
"And if you ask me, all those too stupid to worship anyone don't deserve what's coming to them. They should just have the decency to get scribed in some alley or mazed, instead of exploding in a bloody shower all over the street. Well, the Dabus will have to clean it up."

The Shattered Temple is the headquarter of the Athar, the ruins of the temple of the God Aoskar, destroyed by the Lady. It was in Torment, though for some reason they decided to not put the Athar in. Most people avoid it, because it reminds them of the Lady's Wrath too much.

Salvonus
2009-01-14, 04:16 PM
"Sigil is indeed a temple in it's entirety, as you so nicely put it. The Lady sees all and hears all that happens here, so we can worship her in all places."
Now third cultist continues.
"And don't worry, we would never be offended by questions about the Lady and our love."

"How do you think the Lady feels about your love?" Seeker inquired bluntly, his lack of social aptitude apparent for the first time.

Eldan
2009-01-21, 05:46 AM
"As she loves the City and all it's inhabitants, so she loves us. We know that she has no favourites, and that her love is equal, but we nevertheless worship her presence."", explains the dwarf, the other two cultists nodding at his statement.
"And still, we hope that one day, we will see her and receive her blessing..."
The dwarf sighs deeply.

Salvonus
2009-01-21, 08:44 AM
"Do you mean to say, then, that you have not seen her in person? That your love has not received the seal of approval of the Lady's blessing? But... Is it not said that the Lady forbids religious reverence of her? How, then, do you continue along your path towards enlightenment without incurring undue harm?"

Eldan
2009-01-26, 02:40 AM
"Ah, but she only dislikes those who worship her as a godess or divine figure. We show her our love."
The dwarf then interrupts again:
"Well, so far, we haven't been killed. Shows that we are doing something right, no?"

Salvonus
2009-01-29, 01:43 AM
"Ah, but she only dislikes those who worship her as a godess or divine figure. We show her our love."
The dwarf then interrupts again:
"Well, so far, we haven't been killed. Shows that we are doing something right, no?"

"Fair enough, friend Dwarf. I feel I have no more questions with regards to your proposed path towards spiritual enlightenment. You have given me much to contemplate, and, for that, I thank you. I'm afraid I must take my leave now, but a fair eveningtide to you!"

With that, Seeker politely excused itself and trundled over to where Zengral and Rhion stood. Stopping just in front of them, the clockwork construct spoke up, "Good friends, let us rest in the corner while we wait for Lily to finish her conversation!"

Not waiting for an answer from the pair, Seeker trundled over to a free table some distance away from both Lily and the orange-clad cultists. Sitting down, it waited to see if its new-found companions would follow - the Modron knew little of them, and had no social intuition as to whether or not they would follow. While it waited to see what would happen, it began to think about what it had learned with regards to the cultists...

Dreamshifter
2009-01-29, 02:16 AM
Zengral nodded at the Modron's suggestion, and followed to the table. "Much to think on indeed.

Cespenar
2009-01-29, 06:24 AM
Following Seeker to the table, Rhion scratched his chin while glancing at both the Modron and the gith.

"At least we know that these people are sincere, and thus can be only pawns. Our only lead is this Trolan then?" Rhion tries to keep his voice down and safe from the ears of the people he called pawns.

"By the way, you did well, Seeker. If you don't mind me saying so." Though his words could be interpreted as patronizing, his genuine smile defies that logic.

Changing the color.

Frosty
2009-01-30, 02:42 AM
Lily rubs her hair with her gauntlet'ed hand and responds, "Well, have they actually been...explpoding in bloody showers all over the street? If they've been doing this for some time and haven't actually died, then perhaps they're not being that stupid after all. On the other hand, if they are dying left and right, pray tell where I may purchase an umbrella."
Now the gnome takes up the discussion as well, in a voice that is slightly too high-pitched to be comfortable.
"Well, at least the Lady is the only one to push when worshipped and not the other way round...
Then, the woman continues:
"And if you ask me, all those too stupid to worship anyone don't deserve what's coming to them. They should just have the decency to get scribed in some alley or mazed, instead of exploding in a bloody shower all over the street. Well, the Dabus will have to clean it up."

The Shattered Temple is the headquarter of the Athar, the ruins of the temple of the God Aoskar, destroyed by the Lady. It was in Torment, though for some reason they decided to not put the Athar in. Most people avoid it, because it reminds them of the Lady's Wrath too much.

Eldan
2009-01-30, 03:21 AM
"I would never comment on Her Serenity's technique, but... it seems she is taking her time, if you know what I mean."
The Gnome makes a vague gesture with his left hand, to be once again interrupted by the woman with the tattooed forehead.
"What he means is, these berks have been here all day and I saw one of them yesterday, but they are still in one piece."

Frosty
2009-02-02, 02:30 AM
Nodding as if she agrees with everything the Athar are saying, she attempts to see if she can get anything relevant and concreteout of them. "That's fascinating and all, but the real question is: Is any action needed? If the Lady sees fit to act slowlyor not act at all, then is it wise for anyone to contemplate otherwise?"

Eldan
2009-02-02, 08:07 AM
"Here's some good advice, lady: if you want to stay unscribed, don't meddle in Her Serenity's affairs. It may be strange that she has not flayed them, but it's not our place to say what she should or should not do."

Frosty
2009-02-07, 03:42 PM
Lily gives a thankful nod. "Thank you for your advice. I will take it to heart. Excuse me." she says as she rises to rejoins her friends. After sitting down next to Seeker and the others, she whispers, "The Athar seem confused as to why the Lady hasn't flayed those...cultists yet, and they are afraid to do anything. If they are not proving themselves dangerous to others, I say we not involve ourselves deeply for now. Perhaps this is their own form of testing themselves. We can watch quietly from afar and if something horrible happens we will do something about it"

Dreamshifter
2009-02-07, 06:29 PM
Zengral nods. "Clearly, they are not a threat to anyone other than themselves, and even that is in doubt. Perhaps their actions have already changed the Lady? In any event, I see no way to test that, beyond getting someone killed if she hasn't changed. While it is far from my preferred course of action, in this instance waiting and seeing is the only real option. Perhaps something will reveal itself. Unless we attempt to seek this Trolan, and I see no easy way to do so, since he may not even be in Sigil."

After a moment's thought, he adds "And I do not know if finding him would help, since he would claim, truthfully or not, that he follows the same beliefs as his pawns." He frowns, thinking.

Cespenar
2009-02-17, 05:24 PM
Rhion crosses his brows in surprise.

"You've heard nothing of interest?"

OOC:I guess no one checks the OOC thread anymore, like *hint* my second to last post?

Frosty
2009-02-20, 03:27 AM
Lily reflects upon the conversation once again as her newfound friend asks the question. "Well, no that you mention is, as I approached, they did mention something about the Shattered Temple and the dead body there. Something about...'dead like the others' but I don't know who the 'others' are. Perhaps more of these cultists?"

Dreamshifter
2009-03-07, 06:01 PM
Zengral

"Dead like the others? That certainly might be worth checking out. It is not like we possess any other paths to investigate at the moment."

Cespenar
2009-03-08, 05:11 AM
Rhion

Nodding to the gith, Rhion slowly rises from his chair.

"I agree. Let's get to it, then, if no one objects."

Eldan
2009-03-08, 10:06 AM
And so the group walks back over to the Athar table, this time asking about what they meant with their comment on dead people.
"Well, we were talking about the newest murder. Sod named Keluk, one of us. Shame, really. We thought the killer was through with the Athar."
Then, noticing the slightly perplexed and surprised expressions of the group, she continues, with a dry laugh:
"How backring have you been for the last days? The murders were all over! Everyone is talking about them!"
"Indeed they were", continues the gnome.
"Well, if you haven't heard anything... it's been a week now. Six people were scribed into the book in the Lower Ward and the Lady's Ward. Well, from what I heard, they were all lawful. Not only that, but they also all had the Symbol of the Lady of Pain carved in their foreheads."
The Defier next to him interrupts.
"I never heard about any symbols, that's for sure. But Old Grolf told me that they were all completely drained of blood. We have bloody vampires again in the city. Well, and I heard some about those who were scribed: all in a faction, of course. The first one was some Godsman called "Old Favur". Then there was a Guvner. I think one of the Hardheads too. And two of us."
The woman is leaning back in her chair, a grim little smile on her face.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-08, 10:57 AM
Zengral

Zengral nods sagely. "Ah, that would explain our ignorance. We have only just returned to Sigil this day. Still, these events are most disturbing. If I might enquire, who was the sixth fatality? You only elaborated on the faction designation of five individuals."

Eldan
2009-03-09, 05:47 AM
The man lifts an eyebrow.
"Hey, I'm no investigator, am I. I'm simply telling you what others rattled at me."

Dreamshifter
2009-03-09, 07:36 AM
Zengral

Zengral bows his head. "My apologies, I thought you might have known. But, now that I think on it, I am certain we should need to be investigating this, and your information is a good place to start." But while his words remain calm, Zengral's heart speeds up, after putting two and two together. Lawful victims, drained of blood. The Blood of Law.

Eldan
2009-03-09, 11:01 AM
Now the woman speaks up again:
"Well, from what I heard, one or two of the victims were Godsmen. I'm not gonna say they all deserved it, but anyone who thinks he'll be a power someday should just not get involved into murders, now should they. Anyway, the Godsmen have gone right barmy about it and are offering a lot of jink and jinx for any clue."

Frosty
2009-03-10, 08:53 PM
The succubus is pehraps not putting two and two together as she has not heard of the Blood of Law, but she is all for investigation. "I believe we should go to the local Godsmen leader to explore the progress alreayd made, so that we do not retrace steps unnecessarily."

Cespenar
2009-03-11, 03:06 PM
"Good idea."

"Why is the blood completely drained, I wonder," he thinks out loud, he too unaware of the Blood of Law. "Vampire attack, perhaps?"

Dreamshifter
2009-03-12, 03:48 AM
Zengral

"Yes, communication with the Godsman in charge would be helpful. We should head there immediately." Bowing to the Athar, Zengral heads out at a brisk pace, though not one so brisk that the others can't keep up.

Salvonus
2009-03-30, 07:54 AM
Seeker silently followed its companions, wordlessly mulling over what it had learned.

Dreamshifter
2009-04-03, 01:47 AM
As he heads along what should be the Godsmen headquarters, Zengral comments on what he thinks is going on. "Seekers vision, the Essence of Destruction, born from the Blood of Law. I would have expected something more direct, but draining the blood from victims fits the vision as Seeker described. I begin to wonder if that vision had anything to do with the Lady Lovers. " Then his eyes go back to their normal, narrowed position, and he turns to the Modron. "Are you certain that vision was the future? It seems strange that we are now looking for someone draining blood to create a gem, when the park itself is already named Bloodgem park. If it is indeed the future, perhaps this isn't the first time this ritual has been performed here?"

He shakes his head, and mutters "So many possibilities, it nearly beyond me."

Salvonus
2009-04-03, 02:29 AM
"Are you certain that vision was the future? It seems strange that we are now looking for someone draining blood to create a gem, when the park itself is already named Bloodgem park. If it is indeed the future, perhaps this isn't the first time this ritual has been performed here?"

"Hm," the Modron pondered momentarily, "I believe it is a vision of the future, or perhaps the present, but I cannot be sure. Perhaps we should investigate the possibility of going below the surface of Bloodgem Park, or examine the area for portals. We should seek advice in those endeavours from our fellow Believers of the Source. Upon arrival at a safe haven, I shall attempt a divination once again with an aim to discern how we might access the area represented in the second area of the first vision."

Seeker began to quicken its pace, wishing to reach the headquarters of the Believers of the Source as soon as possible.

Cespenar
2009-04-05, 05:48 PM
Rhion

Following the others, Rhion can't help but ask, "Are these visions... usually accurate?"

Eldan
2009-04-05, 06:12 PM
You make your way to the great foundry, sigilian headquarter of the Believers of the Source. It lies in the heart of the lower ward, a grimy section of Sigil, with narrow twisting streets, and crooked, soot-covered shops and houses. Artisans and craftsmen live hear, together with the fiends and fiend-touched that give the ward it's name. Clouds of black smoke constantly cover the skies, from the Great Foundry and a thousand other forges and smithies.
Two massive iron gates, ten feet wide and as high as a house, with hinges as thick as an orcs thighs, are set into a massive stone wall, manned by four guards in plate armour. Behind it, over a bleak and dirty gravelled yard, looms the foundry itself, an edifice of bricks and cast iron, ten stories high, with a dozen chimneys. The noise of the forges, bellows and fires is deafening near the main building, but the two dozen smaller buildings surrounding it are comparatively quiet, seperated by high walls from the factory.
Dozens of workers, all godsmen, but of a dozen different races, hurry across the yards, all busy working, churning out the goods sigil needs every day.

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2224/greatfoundry.jpg

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/235/greatfoundry2.jpg

Salvonus
2009-04-07, 08:41 AM
Rhion

Following the others, Rhion can't help but ask, "Are these visions... usually accurate?"

"Unless some entity is deliberately providing false information, yes. Should the divination fail under normal circumstances, I always know and no information is provided by my hyperconscious state." Seeker responded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, my friends, we are here, at the Great Foundry. It has been a long time since I visited this location," Seeker mused.

"How do you wish to proceed with our investigations? Shall we travel as one to the foundry itself, or shall one of us seek out fellow Godsmen at the residences and see if they have any insight with which they can provide us? I shall delay any delving into my hyperconscious state until we are sure that the information we seek cannot be discovered through conventional means; divinations are, as we have learned, often lacking in all the information we need to make an informed deduction." Seeker said, addressing its myriad of companions. The Modron waited expectantly for a response. The creature's clockwork head seemed directed primarily at Zengral, the gith having been the pace-setter on the sojourn towards the Foundry.

Dreamshifter
2009-04-07, 09:45 AM
Zengral has been thinking while they traveled. "By my current path of thinking, I feel that we should definitely contact those in charge, both to learn what they know, and to share that which we have learned. As well, it seems likely they would know exactly who else might hold more information, so it would seem most efficient to start there. Beyond that, I am unsure. This is somewhat outside my normal activities."

Cespenar
2009-04-07, 04:18 PM
Rhion

Rhion nods quietly as he gazes around his surroundings. He seems a little uneasy though - his usual smile is replaced with a neutral, emotionless face.

A moment later, he phases back.

"Oh, yes, yes. I agree... I just hope they won't find our sudden interest suspicious."

Dreamshifter
2009-04-11, 03:52 AM
Zengral shurgs. "I see no reason to tell them anything but the truth. While we might not be trained investigators, I doubt they will mind a few more hands willing to dig. I only hope that we and they have different information, and not the same."

He appears quite comfortable with these surroundings. "It is always good to return here, isn't it? Home, of a sort." It's not enough to get a smile out of him, but he is more serene than he has been, as he crosses through the gates into the courtyard.

Salvonus
2009-05-10, 09:07 AM
Seeker looked questioningly at Lily; her silence was certainly a confusing phenomenon, given her previous penchant for talkativeness. As it contemplated the reason behind his old friend's silence, the construct quickly drew a connection between the sentiments expressed by Zengral and the Paladin's strange mood.

"Lily..." Seeker said, cautiously, "It's okay if you wish to stay here. It seems that your soul longs for the forges, that you wish to rest here a while and explore the path of your own spiritual ascension amongst these fellow travelers of ours. Zengral, Rhion, and myself can surely carry on the investigation that you have aided us with thus far - we shall call upon you if we need help, dear friend. But, for now, I think you should acquiesce to what your soul has demanded of you - rest a while here, and recharge your zeal and drive. Come now, let us speak to the leaders about these matters, both personal and investigative."

Grabbing the seemingly dazed succubus' hand and motioning for the others to follow, Seeker trundled towards the foundry itself. Stopping a worker on the way, Seeker kindly inquired of him as to the location of the Foundry's leaders.

Eldan
2009-05-10, 05:58 PM
Lily nods farewell to Seeker and hugs the cubic outsider goodbye, before leaving the others for the Forges.
Meanwhile, a nearby worker, upon seeing your Believer insignia, smiles.
"Aye! Lucky berks you've been! Ambar Vergrove hisself 's in the cage. He's left for a stroll, but should be coming back any moment. I'd say, go over there, direction of his rooms, you'd find him."

Walking into the indicated direction, you find yourself in the middle of an open square. But instead of the scene of busy craftsmanship you were expecting, you find yourself in the middle of a fight: a half-elf, Factol Ambar with no doubt, clad in simple clothes, but with a shimmering ioun stone swirling around his head and several gems around his neck is fighting a fifteen-foot tall, dark-skinned figure.

That's the half-elf:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/2659/ambarvergrove.jpg
And this, plus wings, the dark-skinned one:
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3168/crimjak.jpg

The ground around the two is covered by half a dozen bodies, all large men, one even an ogre, surrounded by their broken spears and halberds and bleeding from a dozen wounds.
The demonic, winged creature is hacking at Ambar with strokes that split shields and armour whenever it decides to engage the guards, with a greatsword the size of a normal man. Ambar, on the other side, is wielding a shortsword in each hand, with a third one seemingly gliding through the air around him, parrying blows and stabbing at the creature. Ambar himself, while unarmored, seems to waver and shimmer as if he was standing behind a waterfall, evading blows that seem certain kills by just not standing in the point they were aimed at.
Still, so far the fight seems even, with neither combatant showing even the smallest wound.

Dreamshifter
2009-05-11, 09:01 AM
Zengral frowns at the presence of violence in this place of construction. "Fiend! Leave that sentient alone!" He moves to a position behind the creature, providing a distraction, at the least, while he shields himself with mental armor.

Moving to provide flanking bonus, activating Inertial Armor PLA. Say, do we even have a dice thread any more? :smallwink:

Cespenar
2009-05-11, 09:57 AM
With Lily gone, I humbly return to my original color, Dark Green.

Hesitating to act, Rhion watches the situation for a brief moment, but inspired by Zengral's quick response, Rhion steps up.

"Please," he calls to the demonic creature. "Leave... the man... ALON-ROAAWR!"

His cry abruptly turning into a ferocious, bestial roar, Rhion's form ripples, enlarges itself and ends up in the shape of an animal, a large lion with golden mane and long, muscle-ridden body. Quickly attuning to the situation at hand, the creature tries to clear itself a way to pounce at the demon.

Standard action: Improved Wild Shape into a Dire Lion. Move action to get in a position to be able to charge.

Eldan
2009-05-11, 01:12 PM
The creature turns around to face the new attacker, a situation used by Factol Ambar for a quick stab at it's exposed side, leading to a wound which bleeds for a few seconds before closing again.
It roars in response and faces the Factol again, attacking him with a wide, vertical swing that shatters a floor plate on impact.
"CALLING IN MORE LACKEYS WON'T HELP YOU, VERGROVE!
Still, apparently alerted by the sound of battle and your example, half a dozen more guards move to positions outside the reach of the creature, staying near the edge of the open square, readying crossbows. A handful of civilians are moving unto the square as well, a handful smiths and foundry workers holding heavy tools, one that is apparently a priest of the source, wearing robes and a silver faction symbol on a chain and a few others, frightened looking workers and factotums.

Salvonus
2009-05-11, 06:30 PM
Deeply alarmed at the presence of such conflict within the boundaries of the Foundry, Seeker briefly contemplated his options. Seeing its companions act immediately, the construct quickly realised that further distraction of the creature would not be unwelcome.

Drawing upon strands of ectoplasm from the Astral Plane, Seeker fashioned a hulking construct adjacent to the fiendish creature. The astral construct immediately began to assault its designated target, directing a flurry of heavy blows at the massive fiend.

Seeker:
Move Action: Move within 45 ft. of the creature.
Standard Action: Manifest Overchanneled Astral Construct (9 pp) at a position next to the creature.
[roll0]

Level 5 Astral Construct:
Menu B Ability: Extra Attack
Menu B Ability (Boost Construct): Muscle
[roll1]
AC: 23 (+1 Dex, +13 natural, -1 size), touch 10, flat-footed 22
DR: 5/magic
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +2
Full Attack:
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Cespenar
2009-05-12, 03:31 AM
Seeing there are more civilians around this battle than he imagined, Rhion quickly decides to take on the offensive. His animal form dashes forward with great speed, four strong legs pounding the ground, and just when he is mere meters far from the demon, he leaps, propelling himself through the air and latching on the creature, a flurry of claws and bite trying to gain purchase of the demon's hide.

Now, for some numbers crunching. :smalltongue:

A Dire Lion has Str 25, Dex 15, Con 17, in addition to Improved Grab, Pounce, and two rake attacks. Rhion's base attack bonus is 5. If we include the charging bonuses...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

A free Grapple check, if the bite attack hits.

[roll10]

Oh, and his natural attack delivers Touch of Golden Ice, DC 14 or dexterity damage, 1d6 primary/2d6 secondary.

Last but not least, his attacks are considered +1 magical weapons.

I sure hope I did this right. A lot of this will go to waste via the demon's DR 10/good or something anyway. :smallbiggrin:

For the record, I haven't done this much numbers crunching in possibly the last 5-6 games combined. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and to add Rhion's stats:

HP 58, AC 23, 21 while charging, saves Fort +12, Ref +8, Will +10

Eldan
2009-05-12, 05:17 AM
Throwing himself a step backwards, the demon barely evades Rhion's snapping jaws, followed by awkwardly parrying a slashing claw with the hilt of his sword and taking the other one to the chest, where it is barely held of by armour.
Still, the attack was not entirely pointless, as Seeker's construct smashes it's fist against the demons head, snapping it forward.
Blood dripping of the back of it's head, the demon roars as one civilian, a nervous-looking, red-haired young man tries to stab his heel with a dagger, an utterly pointless gesture as the blade does not even penetrate the creature's skin. With a small flick of the demon's leg, the man is kicked aside, tumbling against Factol Ambar, who never even loses his balance.

Dreamshifter
2009-05-12, 08:32 AM
Zengral tests the fiend's defenses with a few quick blows.

Flurry of Blows, including Flanking bonus.

[roll0] tohit, [roll1] damage.
[roll2] tohit, [roll3] damage.

I hold little hope of hitting, though, the dice roller has been unkind lately.

Eldan
2009-05-12, 01:03 PM
Zengral's blow hits the fiend in a gap between two armour plates, resulting in a darker spot on it's near-black skin, a crunching sound and short gasp of pain.
Factol Ambar uses the moment of diversion as the fiend deflects Zengral's second blow with his left arm to land a quick strike against the back of it's leg, leaving a deep wound which continues to bleed after the blade is withdrawn.
"Everyone out of here, I'll handle this myself!", the factol shouts, shoving the young man that fell against him to the side, leaving him stumbling towards the edge of the square, quite a few of the guards following.
The fiend returns the factols favor with two slashes, the first throwing the flying blade of it's course, the second knocking one of the half-elf's much shorter blades aside. A powerful swing follows, leaving a bleeding cut on the factols chest and driving him a few steps backward.

Salvonus
2009-05-12, 05:35 PM
Seeker was slightly puzzled by the Factol's insistence that everyone leave the premises - after all, he seemed to be in quite a bit of trouble. The construct certainly could understand Ambar's noble sentiments, but struggled to understand why the man would wish warriors of obvious strength, such as Zengral and Rhion, to cease in their efforts to aid him. It seemed completely illogical to Seeker's mind - well-intentioned, but ultimately foolish. The Factol was certainly correct in one respect, however; the on-lookers and warriors of less strength and guile should not risk injury to themselves.

"My good Godsmen, listen to your Factol! I promise you that no lasting harm will come to him - do not tarry here and risk death!" Seeker was aware that its words would likely have little calming effect on the crowd, but felt nonetheless compelled to speak them.

Turning his attention to the combat once more, Seeker fashioned a second, smaller construct from the vestiges of unused ectoplasm that his over-channeling had produced. Wishing to gain an advantage in combat for its constructs, the Modron shifted closer to the fiend and ensured that the new construct would appear opposite the previous. The two flanking constructs proceeded, at their creator's direction, to direct another set of heavy-fisted blows at their fiendish opponent.

Actions and Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6094754&postcount=204)

Cespenar
2009-05-13, 03:13 AM
Simply assuming that the Factol meant the "other" Godsmen, Rhion lets out a growl of annoyance and repeats his assault with somewhat reduced ferocity.

Flanking bonuses included.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Tough chance, but in case the bite hits,
[roll6]

HP 58, AC 23

Eldan
2009-05-13, 10:39 AM
The fiend has obvious problems defending himself against such a mass of attacks: two blows and a claw strike connect, leaving the creature with bloody tears in it's skin and, judging from the loud crunch as the larger construst slams it's fist into it's chest, a broken rib.

Dreamshifter
2009-05-14, 03:26 PM
Zengral grins at the successful outcome so far, then strikes once more, aiming to disable the fiend. "Pardon the ignoring your order, Factol."

Stunning Blow, Flurry of Blows.
[roll0] tohit, [roll1], Save DC 17
[roll2] tohit, [roll3]

Eldan
2009-05-14, 03:56 PM
The two blows glance of the fiends armour, but give the factol time enough to stab the creature with two of it's swords, while the third one parries another fiendish blow.
But then, the fiend closes his eyes, only for an instant, and when he reopens them, they glow with a red light. He shouts words in a language none of you understand, in a voice so deep you feel it vibrating in your stomachs. A sudden feeling of helplessnes overcomes you, as if a massive force of evil was tearing through your bodies. Your muscles lose all power, and you fall to the ground, helpless.
Through black and red shrouds racing past your field of vision you see Factol Ambar following the fiend who has taken flight, massive black-feathered wings carrying him away. The factol chases the creature out of the foundry area, leaping up at the creature from rooftop to rooftop.
There are shouts around you, then, people running around. Someone is kneeling besides you and the feeling returns in your bodies, the feeling of evil passes and you are once again able to move.
Factol Ambar has returned, and several factioneers, apparently priests, are treating a dozen fallen guards, most of them dead with looks of terror on their faces, bodies twisted as if from massive pain and blood trickling out of their ears.

Cespenar
2009-05-14, 04:19 PM
As Rhion once again regains control of his feline body, he shudders and spends a moment to concentrate. His form suddenly contracts, and with a set of chaotic motions the transformation leaves Rhion in his... original self. He draws a few deep breaths to recollect himself and turns his attention to the others.

Seeing both Zengral and Seeker are fine, Rhion tries to find wounded people that he can help with his meager powers of healing.

He has two Cure spells, a Light and a Moderate. Will cast on anyone that can be saved.

Dreamshifter
2009-05-14, 04:42 PM
Shivering, Zengral forces himself to his feet. "That was... most unpleasant. I do not have any liking for being that helpless." He looks around at the fallen, but can offer little actual assistance. He waits for Ambar to look less busy before heading over to talk to him.

"Factol Ambar, if you have a few moments in the wake of this attack, my companions and I have begun investigating certain murders, and had questions regarding the investigation that we understand has already commenced. And given the timing, perhaps a few questions on just what that creature was as well." He stares in the direction the creature left, longing to re-engage it at some point.

Eldan
2009-05-14, 05:03 PM
Ambar is walking around, giving orders and helping with his own healing magic as Zhengral approaches him. He seems highly agitated.
"Forget the fiend. He was diversion, and the Harmonium will probably soon get him. The planari... a certain item was stolen from my pocket.
Mustering Zengral again, he seems to think for a moment.
"You are namers, the four of you, I'd wager? I haven't seen anyone of you before. Good, good..."
Scratching his beard, he moves on to the others.
"I have already invited a few capable members for the investigation. And it seems to me that it would be useful if you joined them. There are a few facts you should know... though, certain things should not be discussed in the cage. Would you have the time to accompany me to my home? We should be safe there."

Dreamshifter
2009-05-14, 05:12 PM
Zengral nods. "While I would not presume to speak for all of them, I have no objections to accompanying you. While time presses us, the acquisition of knowledge will only offer more resistance. Rhion, Seeker, shall we transit with the Factol?"

Cespenar
2009-05-14, 06:01 PM
With one of his usual smiles, the ragged-looking Rhion nods. A moment later, he turns his head upwards as if he suddenly remembered something.

"Blue, it's safe now. You may return, friend."

With his call, a hawk appears from the sky and dives towards him with high speed. It barely manages to open its wings to air-brake just a moment before it would hit Rhion, and lands clearly on his shoulder. With quick, discrete movements of its head, the bird throws glances at its surroundings.

Salvonus
2009-05-14, 06:45 PM
"It would be a pleasure to join you, Factol Ambar." Seeker replied. The construct's eyes flared into a silver colour for a brief instant, and the small amount of damage it had sustained from it's own overchanneling swiftly dissipated.

Seeker fell silent for a moment, entering a meditative state and re-aligning the balance of its psychic energies. Satisfied that it had restored itself fully, the construct fell in line behind its companions and prepared for transit.

Manifest Psionic Repair Damage (Roll is irrelevant, as the power heals 3d8+8 and Seeker only has 5 damage. :smalltongue:)
Regain Psionic Focus (Taking 10 for 10+15=25.)

Eldan
2009-05-15, 03:02 AM
Ambar nods and leads you into the Foundry. At first, the heat, noise and smoke are staggering, but you soon walk away from the production halls, and, over many stairs and corridors to a portal, which you pass.
After the short moment of confusion passes, you find yourself in a hall in Ambar's Palace, as it is called: a masterpiece of gothic architecture, a ribbed vault three stories high, with pointed arches reaching even higher up, all made from edged, angular cast iron. The place is neither dark nor depressing, though: stained glass windows reach from floor to ceiling, depicting nature scenes, forests and meadows, on one side, and working craftsmen, smiths and masons, on the other, all in the most vibrant colours. Every other free space is covered in flowers, white and faintly pink roses growing along high arches, lilies and orchids in richly decorated porcellain pots along the walls, on ledges and sills. Through a small window in the opposite wall, you can see swirling mists in pastell colours: the ethereal plane.

Cespenar
2009-05-15, 03:53 AM
Rhion looks around the place with an expression that is almost impossible to ascertain if it's appreciative or not. The hawk seems enthusiastic for a reason, however, as it jumps off and decides to fly around the ceiling, trying to find a good high place to perch.

Rhion will silently follow the Factol and wait for whatever he has to say.

Dreamshifter
2009-05-15, 04:03 AM
The Foundry. Zengral had been here before, spent time working in them. The irony of those days amused him still, for though he crafted many blades during his time on the fires, he used none. Just being there brought back memories of his first true success, a finely crafted great sword, fit for use by almost any being who might use them.

The palace, though, was new, and in so many ways, overwhelming. The variety might remind him vaguely of Limbo and it's inherent chaos, but this... this was so much more. So many colors, and the Githzerai used none of them. In denying themselves so much, could their path truly be pointless? Certainly, an ordered mind was needed, but there was order here as well, and if nature itself used such wild colors, why should any race do otherwise?

The scenes in the glass, on the other hand, were vaguely disturbing. Zengral had seen such places before, when traveling, but always they reminded him of home, and how different things were there. Still, that sensation lasted only a moment, for having seen such places, having stood, perhaps, in some of the places shown in the glass, he knew that being disturbed by them was foolish. "Order in Chaos, Chaos in Order." he muttered to himself softly.

Realizing he had stopped just outside the portal, and was in danger of being run into, he forced himself to move. "Amazing. Such beauty." is all he manages to get out, looking over everything once more, before shaking it all off and making his way along behind Ambar. His smile, though, is perhaps as bright as it has ever been, and his heart is light. Passing a particularly purple posie, he ponders it's potential. Perhaps such a shade would adorn my robes well..."

Cespenar
2009-05-15, 07:43 AM
Though he himself didn't show much appreciation of the scenery, Rhion smiles at Zengral's words. It's not a sarcastic smile, however, but a warm one.

"Beauty is in everything, if we could but see," he mumbles in a low tone.

Eldan
2009-05-15, 04:35 PM
Ambar smiles as he enters his home.
"Yes, it is quite beautiful. The Believers have spent centuries on it, I've just added a few flowers. I think we should go out on the terrace."
He leads you down a vaulted corridor, which is just as covered in flowers as the entrance hall, but with vauls and ceilings fashioned from polished steel and delicate figurines depicting dancers in niches along the walls. The way then leads over a balcony overlooking another hall, this one with a large, marble pool on the floor, reflecting the light of a truly gigantic crystal lustre overhead, traces of light flickering over walls and ceilings. Two faction members in the leather aprons of smiths or foundry workers pass you, greeting Ambar with broad smiles on their faces and friendly waves as they pass.
Finally, you come to a large, but crowded study. Pictures and statues cover one of the steel walls, the second one sports a collection of musical instruments (a lyre, a harp and several flutes), and a map showing the connections between and layers of all the known major planes covers the third. Instead of a forth wall, glass doors lead out on a terrace. The impressive desk, fashioned from dark root wood and polished brass, is covered in paper and parchment.
The terrace outside is an equally fascinating sight: the palace, towering many stories high behind you, stands on a small, rocky island hovering between the rainbow-hued mists of the ethereal. From time to time, small lumps of elemental matte drift by, but otherwise, the ethereal wheather seems to be quiet.
Between a pair of ancient oaks and a dozen delicate rose trees stand a garden table and several chairs.
Now, then, have a seat. Would you like a refreshment? I'm awaiting more guests, they should arrive soon."

Dreamshifter
2009-05-15, 05:08 PM
Zengral slides into a seat gracefully. "The offer means much, but I must decline."

Cespenar
2009-05-15, 05:44 PM
As if generally unused to sit down, Rhion gives the chair a moment's consideration before finally acceding.

"I wouldn't too, thank you. But my friend there may do well with a cup of water, if you don't mind."

The oblivious hawk lazily returns to Rhion and perches on his left arm.

Sucrose
2009-05-15, 06:22 PM
Alvaro Zweck

A few moments later, clanking can be heard from the hall. Within a minute, an armored figure steps into the study.

He bows slightly, to prevent the polearm strapped to his back from hitting anything, then unsheathes it, and holds it upright in a salute.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you, Factol; I understand that there is an investigation that I may be of use for. Would these three be the people I will assist?"

Dreamshifter
2009-05-16, 12:30 AM
Zangral chuckles softly, then nods his head. "I am Zengral, the Modron we call Seeker, and the human is Rhion. It will be good to have some assistance. As long as we do not have to use any stealth." His smile is probably quite disconcerting to anyone who has spent any time around Githzerai, and definitely unnatural, but seems genuine enough.

Sucrose
2009-05-16, 08:19 AM
Alvaro Zweck

Alvaro shifts a bit, to face Zengral directly. His smile is somewhat restrained, but seems sincere.

"A pleasure, Zengral. I am Alvaro Zweck; you may call me Al. I assure you that I can be more stealthy, when necessary."

Cespenar
2009-05-16, 10:15 AM
Rhion merely nods to the warrior with a friendly smile, but the hawk lifts off from his comfortable place and flies to Alvaro in hope of examining the shiny thing that the man is holding. Rhion gazes at the bird expectantly, but doesn't speak up yet.

Eldan
2009-05-16, 03:28 PM
"You might call it an investigation, or a capture. But first, I need to tell you a few things.
You all know our faction's philosophy. But few people but the highest know about some of the problems the faction has. We face much embarrassment and lack of position if these troubles aren't settled quickly.
We have taken care of certain people we call the Powers-in-the-Making. People who are mere steps away from ascencion to godhood."
Ambar takes a scroll from a pocket in his vest and places it on the table.
All of them would appear quite... barmy to the casual observer, because the transformation often leaves them permanently confused. But now, two of them seem to have escaped. Both of them are dangerous, but in different ways: one is a demagogue, convinced that he loves the Lady of Pain, and that she loves him back. It seems he has passed some of his feelings on to those who are easily swayed.
But the other one... he's a murderer. The Lawshredder, he was called.
Now, the Faction wishes that they are both dealt with swiftly and appropriately. Please, find out where they are. The Lady prevents us from just using magic to call them back to us, she stops any form of travel magic in her city.
Now, during the battle you witnessed, something else happened: the Planarity was stolen from me. It is part of an artefact, the power of which has never quite been understood by the faction. It is a sphere of crystalline material, the size of a fist, at least when it is not in Sigil. When it is in the cage, it has certain... powers. It points out nearby powers and stores the memories of those who hold it. But it is only part of a larger mechanism: the Focrux. It is a similar, but larger sphere, the size of a man, located in Sigil It is situated in the Harbinger House, the place where we keep the Powers-in-the-Making safe from the public and themselves.
Now, I have here my personal notes from discussions with the two, they might prove helpful to you."
He hands over the scroll he placed on the table.

Sougad Lawshredder

This Power-in-the-making came to my attention almost a decade ago, when he committed a series of of grisly murders here in the Cage. For seven days, Sougad stalked, terrorized and killed members of factions who had a lawful outlook on the multiverse. The only clues in the method of death-dealing pertained to the peculiar method of death-dealing.

Each of the victims was terrified at the time of his death. Each of the murders was committed using the same weapon, a large metal blade believed to be a longsword. Sougad inflicted a number of slashes equal to the number of the victims. The first victim was killed with a single slash of the sword, while the eleventh victim was received 11 slashes. He always left a note written with the victim's blood on the finest grade of parchment, reading: "Chaos is the only law, washed clean in the blood of order."

Incidental evidence alerted me to the fact that we weren't dealing with an ordinary barmy. Some victims had been burned by a discharge of magical energy, and the few times that the Harmonium or the Mercykillers closed in on the stalker, they were frightened off by supernatural means. I ordered a special team of Believers to track down the murderer. I wanted him for Harbinger House - even evil powers need a place to develop before they ascend. The team got lucky, I must admit, and stumbled across Sougad as he was about to enter a twelfth name in the dead-book.

During my work to bring him the knowledge of ascension, I learned some important information about Sougad Lawshredder. He came from the prime world of Toril, where he was the ward of an evil wizard. He came to Sigil with for a definite purpose - to become a power of chaos and murder. Sougad has powerful innate abilities that identify him as a power to be. His victims are paralyzed by powerful fear, he always knows alignments of his opponents and can slay them with powerful magical discharges. He is near-immune to magic himself and his sword becomes an enchated law-slayer the moment he touches it. His murders follow a definite pattern and are part of an elaborate ritual that that he believes will elevate him to godhood. He refuses to provide details, but it appears the ritual did unlock additional abilities in Sougad, even though it went unfinished (he claims to need 13 murders to completete it).

In the decade since I started working with him, Sougad's innate abilities have grown stronger. His hatred for law and order has not abated, however. I fear that he'll never develop into a good being, but that isn't our concern. When he reaches the full state of powerhood, we'll release him to find his place in the multiverse.

My greatest worry is Sougad's constant threats against myself and those who follow the ways of law. He believes that something monumental will occur after he's spilled the lifeblood of 13 lawful beings. He can't wait to return to that task, so he'll have to remain in Harbinger House. Of course, I may be hindering a potential power by preventing him from making his kills, but that's not something I want to contemplate right now.

Trolan the Mad

Trolan of Ecstasy came to Sigil following a dream most consider to be evidence of an addle-coved mind. I agree, but it also shows Trolan's place as a power-to-be. He grew up in the Outland's town of Ecstasy, where as a young planetouched he developed the skills of a bard. Early on, he also showed signs of powerhood, for he developed inate abilities not commonly available to mortal cutters. When the young bard first heard the tales of the Lady of Pain, his future course became apparent - he wanted to win the Lady's heart.

As anyone who spent even a little time in the cage knows, the Lady doesn't permit devotion or worship. The rules are clear-cut: Worship her and earn a fast, painful trip to the dead-book. The warnings didn't slow Trolan, however, and he arrived in Sigil six years ago to offer the Lady his heart. He sang his love in taverns and on street corners, hoping to prove his worth. Those who heard him fled in terror of the Lady's impeding wrath, and many bashers tried to silence him before the Lady did it herself.

Days passed, but Trolan remained alive and unflayed. The Cagers around him still kept a fair distance, afraid that when the Lady's shadow fell upon the bard, they'd be caught by it's edges. Eventually, the Mercykillers decided to punish Trolan for his flagrant disregard of Sigil's customs. But when they found him, they discovered that a group of Dabus had surrounded the bard. The Dabus carried him away, apparently ending the threat to Sigil's order. For me, it was only the beginning.

The Dabus brought Trolan to Harbinger House. We took him in, for it was rare indeed for the Lady's servants to bring anyone to us, let alone a barmy who seemed destined to be trapped in the Lady's mazes or flayed by the Lady's blades. Intrigued by Trolan's case, I listened to his ballads, heard the love in his voice. and discovered innate abilities that marked him as a power-to-be. He can use several magical abilities without the need for gestures and words of power, most of them related to causing emotions and charming others and, like many other powers-in-the-making, he has great resistance to magic. He is also a friendly, good soul who will make a splendid power when he finally ascends the ladder of existence.

If not for his fatal attraction to the Lady of Pain, he wouldn't be in our care. To profess such feelings with obvious, sincere devotion, and not meet instant destruction shows me that even the Lady recognizes how special Trolan is. Still, we can't have him disturbing the cage, so he remains our guest at Harbinger House until he finds a way to curb his feeling and desires. After all, he won't achieve his place as a power if he forces hte object of his affections to put him in the dead-book.

"Now, the problem with this case, and the reason why I do not handle it personally, or let Factors and Factotums handle it, is that this time, the Harmonium has become much more interested than last time. It is said that their Factol has taken personal interest in the case and has ordered some of his best investigators to check out this case. An incident involving the Harmonium and, by extension, most likely also the Mercykillers and the Fraternity of Order could well end in a minor catastrophe for our cause, since we can't afford three factions paying to much interest to the Believers deepest secrets.
What I would ask of you is to investigate the murders as soon as possible and catch or kill Sougad, according to your own best judgement. But do so before the Harmonium get's their hands on him."

Dreamshifter
2009-05-16, 05:08 PM
Zengral's normally cheerful face shows a great deal of surprise at the revelations. "Powers-to-be? That explains much. Should we encounter Trolan, what commands do you have for us? The murders take precedence, naturally, but what we have learned seems to imply a link between the two cases."

Cespenar
2009-05-16, 05:58 PM
Now well-informed, Rhion's silence changes quality, if that is possible, from his usual content silence to a more serious one. He glances at his companions to see their reaction to these news, and expectantly waits for Zengral's question to be answered.

And, even the hawk who currently stays still on the tip of Alvaro's polearm (if he lets it) seems to act more serious, or... it may be just a coincidence in the whimsical nature of the bird.

Eldan
2009-05-16, 06:02 PM
"Try to bring him back to Harbinger House unharmed, if you can manage that. I fear he is responsible for the present influx of Lady cultists, and if he isn't stopped, they might get mazed, even though the Lady has not hurt them so far. Which is another reason why we are here and not in Sigil: she doesn't like people discussing her judgements."

Cespenar
2009-05-17, 04:40 AM
After seconds' deliberation, Rhion puts on his smile again and decides to voice his question after all.

"So, what would be the link between these events and the theft of your gem? Could it be that the demon is connected to, say, this... Sougad fellow?" Rhion ventures. "Perhaps the artifact is somehow required in his ritual?"

Eldan
2009-05-17, 06:51 AM
"A likely idea, yes. The timing of the attack and the theft seems to suggest a connection, even though Sougad never worked with others on his last killing spree. And, even with much persuasion, he did not describe the ritual he claimed to have invented."

Dreamshifter
2009-05-17, 10:16 AM
"The Essence of Destruction, born of the Blood of Law. These words Seeker heard in his vision, that started our own investigation. Do we know how many Sougad has killed since his escape? We have heard of at least half of the 13 he needs, which would indicate that he has had to start over..."

Staring at the table for a moment, he then asks "Was there any tie between the first group of victims? Beyond being lawful. It shouldn't be that hard to find enough lawful citizens, even in Sigil. There must be something more..."

Eldan
2009-05-17, 03:11 PM
"Last time, the only connection was the victim's alingment, and he wouldn't tell me if there was another one.
The Harmonium has kept half the new murders secret there's a few dozen rumours, but I cann tell you who the first victim was: Old Favor, the Keeper of Harbinger House. One clean slash across the throat. Sougag got him six nights ago, in his house on Blood Boil. His housekeeper found him, a gnome lady called Eltiya.
The third victim would be a Tiefling named Linni, also of our faction. I knew her, she was a good woman. He murdered her in a small side room of the Ascension drinking hall, practically in the middle of a faction party, and no one heard a word.
Now the Harmonium's running all over the area, letting no one in. I've sent a formal protest to Factol Sarin. Or Planar Expedition Leader, as he calls himself. It won't do much good, though, so see if you can get access somehow."

Cespenar
2009-05-17, 03:23 PM
Lightly tapping his forehead, Rhion keeps his gaze down as he tries to recall an information.

"I remember something about the blood of some of the victims - that they were sucked dry out of their body, or something similar. Did you behold such things with the two... late Godsmen?"

Rhion glances at Zengral, unsure that he remembered it correctly.

Dreamshifter
2009-05-17, 03:28 PM
Zengral nods. "Yes, we were told some of the victims had been drained of all blood. If all of them were, that could be important."

Eldan
2009-05-17, 03:30 PM
Ambar rubs his chin thoughtfully, then shakes his head.
"Not as far as I notieced, no. There was quite some blood, especially in the second case, when Sougad slashed Linni three times for his ritual."

Sucrose
2009-05-17, 05:07 PM
Alvaro listens carefully, shifting his polearm a bit to offer a perch to the avian, then adds a few arguments of his own.

"Regardless of whether someone else is involved in this case, our first duty is to remove the threat that we've set loose. Factol, did the Lawshredder tell you anything about his habits before reaching Harbinger House? Perhaps an area that he liked to frequent, or some associates we might speak with?"

Dreamshifter
2009-05-18, 01:58 AM
"The possibility of a second killer complicated things, but yes, our first priority has to be Sougad. How does one track something that moves around so freely? There has to be a pattern. Seven days, 11 murders. But, always alone. Zengral sighs, his smile fading for a moment. "Are there complete records on the first set of victims? If we can find the thread of order in his actions, it would help us anticipate his actions."

Looking over his companions for a moment, Zengral's expression changes slightly. Amused, but slightly concerned. "And I retain doubts regarding our ability to sneak into anywhere, much less a Harmonium guarded room. Still, with a distraction, perhaps. We can but try."

Cespenar
2009-05-18, 03:59 AM
"Well, I can manage something if sneaking would be the case." Rhion mumbles quietly, scratching his chin.

"But yes, that doesn't help the fact that we don't know where he'll strike next." He keeps his gaze at the floor, pondering.

Eldan
2009-05-18, 05:27 PM
"The List of the old victims...
Ambar Vergrove closes his eyes for a moment and makes a few strange finger gestures, then pulls a sheet of parchment apparently out of nothing.
"Extradimensional filing system. You wouldn't believe how many papers pass through a factol's office.
Well...
They all had notes written in blood on them, and increasing number of slashes.
First victim: Kereos Thelen. Human tradesman from Arcadia, passing through on a trip to the City of Brass and a member of the Fated. Killed in a small alley off the Great Bazaar. Found by a tradesman on his way to set up his stall the next morning.
Second: Ashkim Raveneye. A halfling scribe with the Fraternity of Order, found on the rooftop of the building he had rented a room in, in the late afternoon, when a flock of gallow ravens attracted attention. This was on the second day.
The third victim was Zyrauglashkavrag, a half-dragon from the Outlands and a Believer. He was nearly missed, since his body landed in one of the first part of the hive and was half-eaten by some kind of monster. Still, the sword slashes were still visible.
Four... a tiefling woman, grown up and killed in the hive. She was newly recruited in the Harmonium. Her sister found her just outside the door of their house. We believe that Sougad killed numbers four and five within the same hour, since the bodies were not even a dozen streets apart.
The fifth victim, on day three, was Khargan Gonrdalson, a dwarf from the dwarven mountain in the Outlands. He claimed to be a member of the Harmonium, but never actually applied for training or membership.
Number six... Blazing Sword of Righteousness, a warrior archon of the mercykillers, visiting the faction headquarters from Mount Celestia.
Seventh was an old man called Toothless Jane , a beggar of the Athar who frequented the Great Bazaar. She was found in his house by her grandson, an inkeeper. Apparently, she had been hiding in his closet and was stabbed seven times, through the door.
Number eight was a mercykiller rogue modron who called himself "Beta Protocol". Hacked nearly in half and found in the middle of a small street in the Lady's ward.
Ninth: Ziya Abd-al-Badr, a marid ex-priest from the elemental plane of water, and part of the Athar. Dissolved right after his death, of course, but apparently a druid in the service of the Harmonium was able to question his pack animals. This gave us some of the first real hints.
Number ten was a dustman bard. The other dusties called him deadbeat and wouldn't let anyone near his corpse, nor tell us where he was found.
And finally, the eleventh victim was one of our gate guards, a gnome named Corylon. I was inspecting the forges with a few of the factors when it happened, but we still came to late from stopping him, he was already running away when we caught him.

Dreamshifter
2009-05-18, 08:04 PM
Zengral thinks over the list. "With the exception of the beggar and the Dustman, All the victims were of different races. If the beggar was human, then I can see no pattern on the surface. I had hoped it might be clear. Pity. Wait." He looks over the list once more. "Two Harmonium, two Mercykillers, two Athar, two Believers, one Fated, one Guvner, and one Dustman. With two more victims to go. Hard to be certain, especially given the lack of order in the killings."

Sucrose
2009-05-18, 09:51 PM
Alvaro nods.

"As would be expected of an agent of Chaos. Does his immunity to magic extend to divinations? Since we know so much about him, such magic might be easier for one of us than others."

Cespenar
2009-05-19, 01:43 AM
"One would notice that the victims are never from the more... chaotic factions. Continuing from there, I would suspect that the next two victims would be a Dustman and a Guvner, if you don't mind me saying it so loosely."

Pausing, Rhion turns to the Seeker with a smile.

"Of course, a vision from our modron friend would prove much more accuracy than my theory."

Eldan
2009-05-19, 05:21 AM
"These are, of course, Sougad's last victims. Everything we know seems to indicate that he has started from square one."
Vergrove claps his hands and the sheet vanishes again.
"So far, I only know the details of one victim, and that one was sliced only once, not twelve times, but I know there have been more. He should be up to seven this time."

Eldan
2009-05-20, 06:58 PM
"As for Diviniations... some of our mages and priests tried their best on Sougad last time when he was around, and only got vague omens and portents, instead of the usual answers, which are quite clear. I have asked several philosophers, and apparently, the fate of a power-in-the-making is much more mutable than that of ordinary mortals. Divination doesn't outright fail, therefore, but it often gives near-useless results."

Cespenar
2009-05-21, 04:37 AM
Rhion grins as both of his theories are rebuked.

"I see. So, how do you suggest we start?" His question isn't directly to the Factol but to everyone in the room.

Sucrose
2009-05-21, 10:17 AM
Al pinches the bridge of his nose, and closes his eyes.

"Well, divinations do poorly with him, there's only one constant in his killings, and he apparently had no friends when he was in Sigil the first time. The only advantage that we have is that last time, he killed them all in relatively short succession, so we can at least follow the trail of bodies.

We'll probably need a physical description of him, and some divinations to get at least some vague clues to work with.

I've sought out information about both powers and planes, so I may be able to interpret some of the results."

Dreamshifter
2009-05-22, 03:51 AM
Zengral nods, then adds "The larger issue will be the Harmonium. They will likely hide the details, if not the bodies, thus complicating our investigation greatly. In addition, if he gains more power as he kills, we might have difficulty when we do discover his location. Still, it is all we can do to try."

Sucrose
2009-05-23, 07:46 PM
Al nods.

"Seeker, Rhion has indicated that you have some skill with divination; would you please try to get something regarding the Lawshredder's current location?"

Salvonus
2009-05-23, 07:56 PM
Seeker had been observing the proceedings with a sense of fascination. The construct was not a particularly talkative sort in social situations involving numerous people; as such, it had preferred to keep out of the conversation. At the new Godsman's ushering, however, the Modron did have reason to speak.

"I can most certainly attempt to do so, although I doubt I will divine any more information than the Believers who have tried before me. Nonetheless, as it appears that we will have time to rest, I do believe that I have the psychic reserves to at least attempt to divine some vague information for you. Please pardon my silence, but this will take some time. Please do continue the conversation in the meantime."

With that statement, the Modron entered a psychic trance. Out of politeness, it attempted to suppress any outward display of the power. Acquiring a small piece of paper from its haversack, the Modron began to write down what it was seeing.

1d20+15

Salvonus
2009-05-23, 07:57 PM
Note to self: the board roller dislikes brackets in BBCode.

[roll0]

By the way, this sucker takes 10 minutes. Keep on talking. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2009-05-23, 08:42 PM
"As for where to start: find people who know abou tthe murders. I tried hiring civilian investigators, but Stonehammer & Blake are Out of Town and the Gatefinders didn't want to risk it. If you can find out who the other victims were, it would help immensely.
In any case, investigate the places of the first and third murder cases. Perhaps you can find clues. Also, we don't know how he could escape Harbinger House or how he got his hands on a matching sword... his last sword was tainted by evil magic, but I destroyed it."

Seeker's Trance:

After almost a minute of intense trance devoid of any signs or omens, a strong feeling of panic hits Seeker with the force of a hammer. His inner eye shows him complete darkness, with only flashes of red light to illuminating the gloom. The flickering light forms vague symbols for a moment, before vanishing again: the blade of a sword, a flame, the infinity symbol, an arrow pointing downwards, a skull.
Then, the symbols come together to form a humanoid shape: a naked man with blood-red skin, his face a skull with flames instead of hair and a long, black blade instead of a right hand. He laughs madly and seems to look straight at seeker, before the vision vanishes again.

Sucrose
2009-05-27, 02:00 PM
Al looks over Seeker's shoulder at the description, and tries to think of any Sigil based philosophy or planar entity that might be associated with some of the symbols.

For that matter, he also tries to think of any rituals akin to what the Lawshredder is trying to do, that the specifics of them might provide some clue to where he might strike next.

[roll0]
[roll1]((Knowledge: the planes))
[roll2]
[roll3]

Eldan
2009-05-28, 02:46 PM
Al:

While skulls, humanoids and fire are common symbols used just about everywhere, an arrow pointing downwards over an infinity symbol (I can't find a picture online...) is an old and frequently used symbol for the Abyss.

Rituals to unlock or grant divinity either require massive amounts of mortal belief, which Sougad doesn't seem to be generating, or incredibly powerful magic, the kind that is wielded only by the gods themselves and very few other, powerful creatures. Any specifics are not known to you, as ascensions via rituals are extremely rare.

Sucrose
2009-05-29, 09:06 AM
Alvaro passes his knowledge on to the others, finishing with,

"So, it seems probable that the Lawshredder made a deal with a demon or a god. Perhaps we could ask the local clerics of Erythnul about this."

Cespenar
2009-05-29, 01:54 PM
"I don't suppose they would know of every single pact or deal between demons and mortals, but it won't hurt to ask, I guess.

More importantly, we should focus on the locations of the first and third murders, like the Factol has said. And maybe we should pay a visit to this Harbinger House as well."

Sucrose
2009-05-29, 02:09 PM
Al nods.

"I was just thinking that this sort of a pact, indiscriminate slaughter, fit him rather well. However, as you say, we should follow more direct leads first."

The plated fighter stands.

"Do you have any further advice for us, Factol? If not, I think we should be on our way."

Eldan
2009-06-05, 08:34 AM
Thoughtfully, Ambar Vergrove scratches the beard on his chin, then shakes his head slowly, before standing up.
"I do not believe so. I think it is best you were on your way. Let me accompany you to the portal.
If you should need the faction's help in this, just ask at the foundry. You are only namers at the moment, but I'm sure that things can be arranged. Be discreet, though: we don't want the Harmonium to connect you to the faction too soon. It would also be wise to remove faction symbols, if you carry any."

Dreamshifter
2009-06-05, 05:32 PM
Zengral divests himself of any remaining Godsmen symbols, and nods. "None who do not already know, will." With a bow, he turns to the portal, and prepares to leave.

Cespenar
2009-06-05, 06:03 PM
Rhion simply nods politely at the Factol and follows Zengral to the gate. He already doesn't carry a symbol about his ragged clothes anyway. Remembering the bird, however, he whistles a very short but high note.

The hawk finally detaches itself from the warrior's weapon and flies back to perch on Rhion's shoulder, like nothing has happened.

Sucrose
2009-06-05, 08:46 PM
Alvaro nods at Factol Ambar's advice, and follows Rhion's suit.

Salvonus
2009-06-08, 04:29 AM
Still in a daze from the disturbing vision, Seeker took up the rear, dutifully plodding along after its companions.

Eldan
2009-06-08, 04:38 AM
Noddinh, the factol bids you farewell at the portal back to Sigil and the foundry, leaving you alone with your investigation.
With only a step, you land back in Sigil; the thin and stale air thick with the smoke of the foundry, a hundred factories and workshops and a million creatures from all the worlds in existance breathing air only slowly replaced by portals to the elemental planes.
Outside the foundry, the afternoon greats you with a grey and sunless sky, the perpetual clouds of mist and soot floating around the weightless center of the sigilian torus promising the familiar cold rain.

Cespenar
2009-06-09, 12:42 PM
"So," Rhion says, "The first and third murders took place in the... Great Bazaar, and Hive, if I recall correctly. I'm still somewhat 'clueless' about the paths around this place, so if one of you'd be so kind..."

Sucrose
2009-06-09, 01:32 PM
Alvaro nods.

"I've been gone for some time, but I should be able to get us there."

With that, the Sigil native begins walking in what he's pretty sure is the right direction.

Dreamshifter
2009-06-13, 04:56 PM
"I have net been in the presence of the Hive for an indeterminate amount of time, quite pleasurably. But one must revisit, if only to remind one how unpleasant is really is. I hope there are still clues to discern."

Sucrose
2009-06-13, 06:29 PM
Alvaro sighed, as he continued clanking along.

"As we decided, all we can do is follow the trail of bodies."

Eldan
2009-06-13, 06:56 PM
"The Ascencion", located near the Foundry on Gray Steam Path, is a high-class establishment, were Believers able to afford it come to enjoy a variety of refined drinks, among them the famous Aethereal Ale, a specialty of the owner.
Upon arrival, you find the main room of the Ascencion, a high hall with wooden pillars wide as a man's arm and several rows of marble tables, nearly empty: only a pair of Believers, a man and a woman are sitting at one table at the far end.
Murals above them depicts a famous scenes from the Faction's History: Perrine, the first Factol, striking a heroic pose after winning a duel with his famous flail with the iron ball three times the size of a man's head; Augy of Faunel, second Factol of the Believers is shown uniting splinter groups of the believers with a rallying speech, ready to lead them through the Great Upheaval that founded today's faction system; the Mathematician Luce discovering the Empyrean Harmony that inspired Ambar later; and others, the life of famous Factols, and, just behind the bar, Ambar himself, standing between forest and Foundry.
The owner himself seems to be serving behind the bar today. He is a Githyanki, clad in wide robes, gold on one side, azure on the other, with a green and red scarf that clashes quite horribly with the vest he's wearing over the robe: silver with bright blue waves. To make the fashion catastrophe complete, he's wearing white gloves and a violet sash holding a gem-studded scimitar.
Those that already have been here know that, while his true name is Kal'grashtel'var, he has been calling himself "Julius of the Ninth Test" for years now, a name that, so he explains gladly and cheerfully to every visitor willing to chat, reflects his eight past incarnations.
He looks up as you enter, black eyes in a yellow face mustering the group for a second, then slowly walks in your direction, a wide grin showing his teeth, filed to points. As he speaks to you, he repeatedly pushes back his shoulder-long black hair with one skeletal hand in a nervous gesture.
"Ah, guests. Welcome. Please, have a seat, and my full attention. As you can see, not many guests visiting today."

Sucrose
2009-06-13, 08:28 PM
Alvaro smiles back at the owner, and replies,

"Their loss is our gain. Thank you, Julius."

With that, he walks to a table next to the other patrons, and sits down.

Cespenar
2009-06-14, 08:16 AM
As Rhion enters the main room, the hawk suddenly flies off his shoulder, sees the approaching githyanki and rushes off of the building in a feathery storm. Rhion looks after the bird for a while, and turns apologetically to the gith.

"I'm sorry about that. She is a little oversensitive when it comes to... colours."

Eldan
2009-06-15, 05:54 AM
The Githyanki's smile grows even wider as he leads you to a table. As he moves, his clothes whirl around him and change colours in a shimmering rainbow, to settle in a combination that, if possible, is even more colourful than the last.
"So! What may I offer you?"

Sucrose
2009-06-15, 06:20 AM
Alvaro thinks for a moment, and replies,

"I'll have some genie ale, and a plate of Prime beef."

Dreamshifter
2009-06-15, 06:23 AM
Zengral enters the room slightly after the others, his smile bright. He has indeed been here before, and this Yanki is one of the reasons he tries to maintain less hatred toward his race's second worst enemies (as well as tries and fails to maintain a slightly less drab wardrobe). "Kal'grashtel'var, it brightens my day to stand in your endlessly colorful presence once more." He bows deeply as he speaks, then adds "I have heard you had an interesting incident recently. I hope it has impacted your business as much as it has your choice of colors." By which he seems to imply, not at all.

Cespenar
2009-06-15, 11:52 AM
"I'm not terribly hungry now, thank you.

I wonder if you have a good, clear water, though."

Eldan
2009-06-15, 01:05 PM
"Of course, of course. I will return immediately."
With a swirl of colours, the Gith vanishes into the back room, and, only a minute later, returns carrying two bottles and followed by a black-haired and -clothed halfling woman carrying the rest of your orders.
"Ah, the incident. I know the one you mean, it was quite obvious. Ah, the tragedy. And yes, it has impacted my business: usually at this time, my establishment would be full of factioneers of our glorious faction, instead, it is near empty.
Still... murder. Why would someone murder a party guest right in one of my rooms, I ask you?"

Sucrose
2009-06-16, 11:26 AM
Alvaro picks up his wine and meat, and nods.

"It is most... uncouth, among other things. So much so, in fact, that we've taken an interest in it. Did anyone on your staff see anything of this, Julius?"

While waiting for a reply, Zweck begins to cut apart his meat.

Is a Diplomacy roll necessary? If so, then
[roll0]

Eldan
2009-06-18, 05:49 PM
Julius gives an overexaggerated sigh.
"No such thing, alas. I had three wenches here, and they were all busy serving. And, I had no idea why the victim was even in that side room. It's not as if it was even supposed to be open that evening."

Dreamshifter
2009-06-18, 08:47 PM
"So the room was closed? Interesting. was the fellow a regular her, by any chance?"

Cespenar
2009-06-20, 03:12 AM
"Maybe it was supposed to be a secret meeting, of sorts."

Dreamshifter
2009-06-23, 06:51 AM
"Yes, that would make sense, if he knew it would be closed." Zengral stops, seemingly wanting to add something, but is clearly not wanting to do so in front of others. "I suppose there has been a thorough investigation into this unfortunate event?"

Eldan
2009-06-23, 10:34 AM
"A regular? Ah, not really. She had been here two or three times before, but then there was a celebration, some new members formally introduced into the faction.
And there was no investigation: I'm not going to let any Hardheads stick their nose into my establishment."

Dreamshifter
2009-06-26, 02:12 AM
"Perhaps, then, we could take a peek? Some information about this incident might be important to someone, and it should at least be seen."

Sucrose
2009-06-26, 09:28 AM
Alvaro finishes his meal, and nods at Zengral's suggestion.

"Indeed. You have my word that we won't let any possible patrons know any of the messier details."

Cespenar
2009-06-26, 02:12 PM
Sipping his glass of water slowly, Rhion, too, nods after Zengral's request.

"To add, we have no connection to the Harmonium as well, if you were thinking about that."

Eldan
2009-06-30, 12:08 PM
"Well, I do know you well enough for that."
Julius smiles broadly, then stands up.
"Well, finish your meal, then, and follow me!"

Julius brings you to a small chamber just off the main hall. Only a single table stands in the middle of the room, on an expensive-looking carpet of red and purple silk, the walls are blank, grey stone.

Search checks for more details, everyone!

Dreamshifter
2009-06-30, 12:56 PM
Zengral looks around the room, but his eyes are trained to spot motion, not fine detail.

[roll0] Search, and an explination how someone could have a 0 mod for Search and +13 for Spot. :smallwink:

Sucrose
2009-06-30, 01:12 PM
Alvaro has never really trained himself to find things well (there were usually other people for that), but he does have a fairly good eye for what's important, so he makes an effort.

[roll0]

Cespenar
2009-06-30, 03:13 PM
Unknowingly sharing the group's common trait of ineptness on detail spotting, Rhion lets his eyes trail on the surroundings, just another hook in the pond.

[roll0]

Eldan
2009-07-01, 12:49 PM
A quick search soon reveals traces of combat: one of the table legs is broken and was carefully glued back together very recently, and there are still wooden splinters and some sawdust stuck in the cracks between the stones of the floor. Most likely, it fell over, since one edge is chiped, the varnish flaked off.
The carpet, though red, clearly shows small droplets and one or two large stains of brown, dried blood.
There is one other thing, a small, but interesting detail: in two corners of the room, and near the door, you find, after more carefuly study, a hazelnut shell each. Strangely enough, they were carefully hollowed out, the nut removed, and seem to form a triangle, more or less.

Cespenar
2009-07-02, 01:04 PM
Rhion casually walks over to one of the hazelnut shells and picks it up. Turning it slowly in his fingers, he mumbles.

"What is this? Some kind of spell reagent?"

Looking at it a few seconds more, he raises the shell to his nose and sniffs it.

Eldan
2009-07-02, 01:12 PM
Rhion remembers that, indeed, nutshells can be used as a component for spells, mainly for those that confuse their victims, making them behave irrationally.
The shell smells dry and dusty, it has been removed from a plant for quite some time.