See thread title.

Speed: 1
Accuracy: 3
Damage: 8L
Defense: 1

Committed Essence: 8
Special Qualities: Two handed, Orichalcum

Special Abilities:
As long as the wielder of this weapon is within Fate, s/he automatically wins Initiative.

Once per a Scene, by spending a point of temporary Willpower, the wielder may Parry any action s/he is aware of, from social manipulations to the wielder's ally being stabbed in the back, and thus reweave Fate so the action is negated (if no dice remain in the attacker's pool) or lessened in effect.

For the purpose of attacks Parried by the wielder, there are no minimum successes.

Thanks in advance.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-18, 11:30 AM
Hmm, I'd say it's fairly balanced. Maybe even a bit on the weak side.

Grey Paladin
2008-10-18, 12:44 PM
Thanks

What if I changed the last ability to only work when you use the 2nd ability and added "Once per a Scene, by spending a point of temporary Willpower after damaging a foe, the wielder may cause the victim to automatically lose Initiative each round unless s/he pays [USER'S ESSENCE]*2 Essence.
This effect lasts for [USER'S ESSENCE] rounds"?
would the Artifact remain balanced?

Ravyn
2008-10-18, 02:49 PM
Why is this thing orichalcum? The effect sounds distinctly starmetal to me. (No, I do not accept "I am Solar" as an answer. Fate-stuff usually takes starmetal. You're going to have to be a bit more creative than that to explain it.)

I'd give it five on grounds of game impact; this thing's pretty much always useful, and (particularly in the kinds of games I run) likely to mess up plots to no end. The next ability.... I guess for a five it works...

And I'll admit, I find parrying social actions to be rather silly.

Grey Paladin
2008-10-18, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the input;

Its a mac-guffin (preemptively) crafted by the leaders (to be) of the Cult of the Illuminated for their unwilling champion against the Deathlords- were it crafted for actual Sidereal use it would have been made from Starmetal but Sidereals cannot enter the realm of the BBEG due to ancient pacts.

And personally, I think Deflecting Social Attacks with a sword and killing Demons by being too awesome to look at fit fairly well under the same roof.

RPGuru1331
2008-10-18, 11:31 PM
Hm. Weak in pure power, but definitely worth 5 dots for sheer dickery value. Go for it, at Arty 5.

Ravyn
2008-10-19, 11:33 PM
Granted, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be or at least incorporate starmetal anyway due to what it does. I really can't see being able to cut Fate-strands with orichalcum alone.

I believe in cohesive artifacts that fit with their fluff; this one feels a bit--thrown-together, to me. (You should see some of my work; my current anti-Deathlord weapon quite literally has more personality than its wielder knows what to do with.)

Grey Paladin
2008-10-20, 11:47 AM
I am new to the setting- if you think it should definitely be Starmetal I shall change it, as much as it'll doom me due to being the only combat-focused character in the Circle.

As to the weapon, it *is* relatively 'thrown together' as I have yet to actually play the game and thus tried to only use mechanics that I could predict the result of -feel free to suggest improvements/alternatives.

BTW the effect I last suggested was exchanged for an Abyssal-radar-on-a-stick.

Ravyn
2008-10-21, 03:30 PM
.....that explains everything. When do you need it, and which of its abilities do you set the highest priority on? I'll see if I can whip you up something a little more cohesive. (I'd just give you my Anathema, only it's an N/A and the little gods would drive you crazy.)

BrainFreeze
2008-10-21, 04:10 PM
While the effects on the weapon are great, the largest problem I have with it is the fact that it has a speed of 1. This will cause your DV's to refresh every tick and allow you to use weapon charms/combos pretty much at will as long as you have essence.

Also it removes the need to use combos inorder to use dodge charms on attacks on any action that you know the targets will not act.

Ravyn
2008-10-22, 03:45 PM
Brainfreeze: What are these "ticks" you speak of? This is a 1E thread, and 1E does turns. A low speed in this edition actually isn't all that impressive--it means a very low bonus when you roll initiative. DVs and the tick system are, if you'll pardon my pun, artifacts of the new edition.

Look at the header next time, 'kay?

Grey Paladin
2008-10-23, 03:38 AM
Sorry for not responding for so long;

The campaign's plot shifted so I no longer need the artifact- contributors, you have my thanks.