PDA

View Full Version : Dashing Swordsmen

NENAD
2008-10-18, 01:34 PM
So, Elan and Scoundrel can't be the only Dashing Swordsmen in the world. They're just the only ones so far in OotS. So what other Dashing Swordsmen are out there?

Well, watching the climax to Pocahontas II, I noticed that John Smith has a rather unorthodox, Dashing Swordsman-esque fighting style, not to mention several assorted daring escapes. The clincher here is towards the end of the climax, when Ratcliffe misses John's head by inches, and John says "Are you trying to make a point?" At first I thought it was a shame to the rest of his reasonably witty wisecracks that this one was so cliched. But then I realized that John had just run out of ideas, and now he needed the CHA bonus more than ever, so he had to resort to cliches. Suddenly, it all made sense.

Westley (sp?) from The Princess Bride might qualify as well. He certainly has some banter with Inigo in their duel, and his CHA has got to be a solid 18. I'm not sure the comments in the duel qualify for the prestige class, though. Maybe some kind of variant.

So, what other Dashing Swordsmen are out there?

Shadic
2008-10-18, 01:39 PM
You can't say Westley was a Dashing Swordsman, though.. He was quite obviously a Dread Pirate. (Prestige class from Song and Silence)

The Extinguisher
2008-10-18, 01:43 PM
Westley was a Dashing Swordsman/Dread Pirate multiclass.

Spiryt
2008-10-18, 01:43 PM
Eh, this is probably need to be taken to Media.

And anyway, examples are countless, depending on how you are looking at that.

Countless heroes in different movies manage to do something only beacuse they look "dashing" doing that. Especially when swordplay is concerned.

Captain Sparrow.
Zorro's (Disney one, Banderas one - pick one)
D'Artagnans in more recent "musketers" films
Orlando Bloom in his absolutely every role

And so on.

dps
2008-10-18, 08:53 PM

Not to mention Errol Flynn.

frogman55
2008-10-18, 10:23 PM
While not a Swordsman per se, James Bond certainly fits the mold, Dashing Gunman perhaps.

revolver kobold
2008-10-18, 10:28 PM

He wasn't that dashing when he fell out of a Blackhawk...

A bit of an oddball one, but could Spike Spiegel qualify for a Dashing Swordsman/Monk multi-class? He loves making wisecracks in the middle of his fights.

chiasaur11
2008-10-19, 01:08 AM
Guybrush Threepwood almost definitely has levels in it.

Kaihaku
2008-10-19, 01:24 AM
Not to mention Errol Flynn.

The sad thing is that hardly anyone remembers him anymore. :( I just watched his Robin Hood the other day and while aged it's still as classic as I remember it being as a child.

Atelm
2008-10-19, 02:19 AM
Guybrush Threepwood almost definitely has levels in it.

As does every Pirate in the Monkey Island-series; insult-duels, anyone? :smallwink:

Ronald_saveloy
2008-10-19, 03:28 AM
The sad thing is that hardly anyone remembers him anymore. :( I just watched his Robin Hood the other day and while aged it's still as classic as I remember it being as a child.

Awww! Captain Blood (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026174/), my favourite pirate movie!

texascarl
2008-10-20, 04:17 PM
Douglas Fairbanks Junior as Rupert of Hentzau in The Prisoner of Zenda is old-skool dashing swordsman. Likewise Scaramouche* who was"Born with the gift of laughter, and a sense that the world was mad" or The Sea Hawk, or Captain Blood...any of the Sabatini heroes. Sabatini knew how - and when - to buckle a swash.

*Scaramouche - I'm still waiting to see if he can do the fandango.

Cleverdan22
2008-10-20, 04:37 PM
Those guys from that animated movie "Road to Eldorrado." Anybody remember that? I liked it when I was a kid...

chiasaur11
2008-10-20, 06:05 PM

Yeah.

He was cool.

NENAD
2008-10-20, 09:12 PM
Those guys from that animated movie "Road to Eldorrado." Anybody remember that? I liked it when I was a kid...

Yeah, I'm guessing the one with the red shirt is a bard/dashing swordsman, and the blue one is a rogue/dashing swordsman.

Kris Strife
2008-10-21, 01:11 AM
Robin Hood from Men in Tights and the classic Spiderman who used one liners all the time to make the bad guys think he felt the fights were easy.

elliott20
2008-10-21, 03:21 AM
As does every Pirate in the Monkey Island-series; insult-duels, anyone? :smallwink:

how appropriate, you fight like a cow!

Ricky S
2008-10-21, 03:36 AM
Can someone actually give a link to the dashing swordsman Prc or isnt it real?

Evil DM Mark3
2008-10-21, 04:33 AM
Can someone actually give a link to the dashing swordsman Prc or isnt it real?

I refrain from saying it isn't real as there will be, by now, at least 4 different homebrew versions in various places. However it was not real when introduced.