PDA

View Full Version : Extra Cheesy Shapechange

Glyde
2008-10-18, 06:29 PM
A 16-18th level party of about 6-8 members are going to be fighting a very high level wizard and his efreeti pet. The Wizard knows they are coming, and has a scroll of Shapechange.

What are some of the more difficult things to shapechange into should the time come. He will start the fight flying and invisible with time stop.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-18, 06:37 PM
A 16-18th level party of about 6-8 members are going to be fighting a very high level wizard and his efreeti pet. The Wizard knows they are coming, and has a scroll of Shapechange.

What are some of the more difficult things to shapechange into should the time come. He will start the fight flying and invisible with time stop.

Choker so he gets 2 standard actions/round instead of 1?

Red Dragon
Pit Fiend
Solar.

Emperor Tippy
2008-10-18, 07:38 PM
Choker so he gets 2 standard actions/round instead of 1?
Chrontyne (MM3 or 4 IIRC). It get's an entire second set of actions each round (a swift, a move, and a standard).

Advanced Shadesteel Golem (MM3 page 72). A very nice default form, immunity to magic being the nicest part.

EvilElitest
2008-10-18, 09:52 PM
doubleganger? Well......yeah ok
from
EE

streakster
2008-10-18, 09:58 PM
Hmm. Might I suggest the Trilloch? Immune to magic, incorporeal, and invisible.

Glyde
2008-10-18, 10:02 PM
Chrontyne (MM3 or 4 IIRC). It get's an entire second set of actions each round (a swift, a move, and a standard).

Advanced Shadesteel Golem (MM3 page 72). A very nice default form, immunity to magic being the nicest part.

Ooo, I'm liking that Shadesteel Golem. The encounter is tomorrow night. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Kaiyanwang
2008-10-20, 03:29 AM
Chronotryn from Fiend Folio.

BobVosh
2008-10-20, 04:55 AM
Me.

Er, I mean how does he have time stop going off, contigency or what?

Paul H
2008-10-20, 06:55 PM
Hi

Shambling Mound? Immune to crits etc. Just use Elect area affect spells to increase your con D4 per hit.

Cheers
Paul H

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-10-20, 07:10 PM
I'm a big fan of taking the shapes of whatever dragon's you qualify to change into with Shapechange. The only problem I end up having is with touch AC, but that can easily be solved with that one spell that transforms your Natural AC to Deflection, but I can't remember the name of it...

Smeggedoff
2008-10-20, 07:18 PM
I'm a big fan of taking the shapes of whatever dragon's you qualify to change into with Shapechange. The only problem I end up having is with touch AC, but that can easily be solved with that one spell that transforms your Natural AC to Deflection, but I can't remember the name of it...

Shimmering Scales I think

DM Raven
2008-10-20, 07:34 PM
Beholder Hive Mother...or just a badass dragon if you're going for the epic feel.

holywhippet
2008-10-20, 09:00 PM
How many of these suggestions will block the wizard from casting spells?

The best choice also depends on the makeup of the party. Target their weaknesses - if they have lots of fighters then look for something with will save.

Glyde
2008-10-20, 10:08 PM
Alas, the encounter didn't happen yet. I'm not going to discuss this too much further for fear that the players might frequent the site XD

The players aren't entirely optimized, and usually blast things with spells that require saves and normal attacks (So no real touch attacks). Dragon and Shadesteel golem sounds good still.

The time stop is going off in the first round of combat after a speech. It might be contingency but this guy is probably going to win init anyways. Contingency would make sense though, he knows the players are coming.

holywhippet
2008-10-20, 10:21 PM
The time stop is going off in the first round of combat after a speech. It might be contingency but this guy is probably going to win init anyways. Contingency would make sense though, he knows the players are coming.

Actually it makes no sense at all. Contingency can only be used for spells that have a level at or below 1/3 of your caster level with an upper limit of level 6. Time stop is level 9 so by RAW it can't be used with a contingency spell.

monty
2008-10-20, 10:22 PM
Celerity? I thought that was standard wizard cheese.

Yakk
2008-10-21, 02:41 AM
He's making a speech.
In general, speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn’t your turn. Speaking more than few sentences is generally beyond the limit of a free action.
So he's using actions to make this speech.

He's probably readying an action against the player's attacking each round (standard action).

The players could ready against the bad guy casting a spell, then have one of the party attack. That triggers the ready action of the caster, which triggers each other player's action, which goes first. :-)

BobVosh
2008-10-21, 03:28 AM
He's making a speech.
So he's using actions to make this speech.

He's probably readying an action against the player's attacking each round (standard action).

The players could ready against the bad guy casting a spell, then have one of the party attack. That triggers the ready action of the caster, which triggers each other player's action, which goes first. :-)

Magic mouth + Illusion speaker = Scared players

Yakk
2008-10-21, 06:33 AM
Level 17ish players who don't have a true seeing item?

Really?

MartinHarper
2008-10-21, 09:19 AM
He's using actions to make this speech.

Out of combat, he's just speaking. Initiative determines who goes first.

only1doug
2008-10-21, 09:33 AM
Out of combat, he's just speaking. Initiative determines who goes first.

Last session the party druid was speaking to the BBEG,

it was obvious to everyone that the BBEG wouldn't let us pass but the druid tried to talk him into it anyway.

every few sentances i told the GM Xxxxx's sword catches fire, (i basically buffed the entire party while Druid and BBEG talked...

(first instance of buffing might have caused BBEG to attack and ruined the druids speech, which is why i told the GM)

Emperor Tippy
2008-10-21, 09:37 AM
Actually it makes no sense at all. Contingency can only be used for spells that have a level at or below 1/3 of your caster level with an upper limit of level 6. Time stop is level 9 so by RAW it can't be used with a contingency spell.

Craft Contingent Spell, it works on 9th level spells.

Cuddly
2008-10-21, 01:39 PM
Shadesteel golem will have trouble casting spells with verbal components. I'd go Chronotryn for two rounds of action per turn.