PDA

View Full Version : Saga character idea, but one problem

Akisa
2008-10-18, 11:34 PM
I have a character idea but no game (that's not the problem I have) so I kind of left it open and I'll go into more detail once I know the setting.

Liku was born on Darsey a backwater in the outer rim to a small but well off family. Perhaps because of her families status and lived in the largest city on the planet she never had to learn the talents of a scout, or scoundrel. However Liku was never interested in the subtleness of diplomacy nor had the ability to inspire people. In school Liku participated in Gymnastics and fencing which thought her how to become agile and the basic of melee combat.
However little did Liku know she was force sensitive, and had strong potential in using the force. Despite no formal training Liku on how to use the force Liku’s innate power’s greatly outmatches many of those who obtain such training. Some say Liku even has the potential to even surpass the greatest force users, even ____ (insert most powerful force user at the time, and I'll be increasing CHA so by UTF check I'll beat the Emperor or Revan at lvl 20) himself. As for how I get a lightsaber I'm on what's the setting...

Using 28 Point buy I created this set of stats (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=84639).

I took skill focus UTF and trained in UTF to justified being extremely powerful in the force at an early age. But now the problem is she is trained in UTF and the same time she's not. So how do I justified not being trained but at the same time being trained? And if I remove being trained in UTF I no longer qualified for Skill focus UTF and thus she's not strong with the force (mere +2). The only way around this is forget the word being trained and not use trained portion of the skills, an exception maybe stuff that maybe instinctual like reaching out for a weapon that's just out of reach, and suddenly it floats into her hand. My problem with this is with my belief that the character should match the c-sheet (no charismatic or smart people with an 8 in the relevant stat).

The Glyphstone
2008-10-18, 11:43 PM
Despite no formal training Liku on how to use the force Liku’s innate power’s greatly outmatches many of those who obtain such training. Some say Liku even has the potential to even surpass the greatest force users, even ____ (insert most powerful force user at the time, and I'll be increasing CHA so by UTF check I'll beat the Emperor or Revan at lvl 20) himself.

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Mary Sues suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced...

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. What exactly do you define as "trained but untrained"? They're kinda mutually exclusive.

Arbitrarity
2008-10-18, 11:52 PM
She's "not trained" in background, but mechanically trained.

I see no problem. Just declare the "trained" and skill focus to be the result of ridiculous natural talent, but have difficulty with formal training, so you only progress as you level or acquire any other bonuses.

You should minimize use of "trained only" force powers for the time being, but it's reasonable to declare use of them on "instinct" if you have that much natural ability. If you really need them, it's not too difficult to argue that they can be tapped, particularly since you do have access, mechanically. Although I am unfamiliar with SAGA trained force abilities, I think most abilities can be used "naturally" with enough force or intuition (lightning, grabs, pull, push, mind trick, dodge, jump... anything else important?)

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-19, 12:59 AM
Yeah - "trained" doesn't mean you're trained, it just means you're good. Skip Force Training feats for now (that's training - pretty sure even Anakin and Luke couldn't actually use Force powers without training) and just go with the Use the Force skill's own uses.