PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 D&D] Is Seeker of the Song worth it?

Townopolis
2008-10-19, 02:43 AM
As the title states, is the PrC from Complete Arcane a worthwhile class, or is it a trap?

Some of the songs look pretty good on paper, such as the one that allows you to heal by spending a music attempt, others, such as the elemental ones, seem less impressive.

Without having a specific build, how does the PrC rate? Good? Horrible? Only tenable for specific builds?

The Rose Dragon
2008-10-19, 03:52 AM
I don't think it's a good PrC mechanically. It doesn't increase your spellcasting or give you extra bardic music so you can more reliably use your Seeker Songs. But it's great fun playing one with a song aelfan (a homebrew race).

jcsw
2008-10-19, 08:10 AM
Dip two levels for combine song, then get out before you're trapped.

Temp.
2008-10-19, 10:16 AM
I love how that class is printed right next to Sublime Chord, implying that they're even on reasonably comprable power levels.

SotS is strictly a blaster, and a pretty terrible one at that. You lose your skills, lose your spellcasting and waste your Bardic Music uses to do damage that would be pretty unacceptable even if it were accessible 5 levels earlier.

Refluff Sublime Chord and use it. Bard Spells are already fluffed as musical effects; Throwing Moonbow, Maw of Chaos, Orb of Fire or whatever blasting combo strikes your fancy into a Sublime Chord build will do what you want, but will actually be competent at its shtick.

JaxGaret
2008-10-19, 11:02 AM
I agree that Sublime Chord is a superior PrC, because casting progression > non-casting progression by 3e class design parameters.

However, there is one feature of the Seeker that I find to be quite useful, and oft overlooked: the Hymn of Spelldeath.