PDA

View Full Version : Hellfire Warlock adaptation: Hellfire Shield?

Starbuck_II
2008-10-19, 11:56 AM
What is the method you convert it?

The excerpt says:
As written, a hellfire warlock serves as an extension of the warlock class from Complete Arcane. If you don't use this class, you can adapt this prestige class for use with other characters. Exchange the invocations requirement with the ability to cast fireball. Instead of improving invocations known, the hellfire warlock improves the character's arcane spellcasting ability by one level per class level. Instead of gaining hellfire blast, the character can deal an extra 1d6 points of damage per class level with evocation spells that deal damage. This ability costs the character 1 point of Constitution just like the hellfire blast class feature. The character gains the fire resistance, hellfire infusion, and hellfire shield abilities as normal.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061207a&page=3

Am I right about Hellfire Shield-
That this means you take the highest level Evoc damage spell that you have prepared and deal its equivalent in damage to that single target + Hellfire bonus damage of 3d6?

Example, Chain lightning deals 1d6/level (20 max).
So if attacked at caster level 13, you give up 1 con to deal 16d6 damage to that attacker with Ref for 1/2?

Not that Evoc is a good route to take/focus on, but would I be right in that what it does?

Te'Shen
2008-10-19, 12:17 PM
I suppose so... which would be bad on spell slot casters considering you may not have the evocation spells left to activate the ability...

I'd come up with some sort of variant ability if your dm is willing or possibly rewrite hellfire shield a bit.

Hellfire Shield (Sp): Starting at 3rd level, you can call up hellfire to surround yourself with a protective barrier. Whenever someone directs a melee attack against you, you can, as an immediate action, aim a blast of hellfire at that creature. This blast deals damage equal to your eldritch blast (including bonus damage from the hellfire blast ability). This blast automatically strikes the target, which can attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifier).

Each time you use this ability, you take 1 point of Constitution damage. Because the diabolical forces behind the power of hellfire demand part of your essence in exchange for this granted power, if you do not have a Constitution score or are somehow immune to Constitution damage, you cannot use this ability.
I'd actually suggest making it not use a spell slot, just the constitution point, and let it be an area effect (15' radius) for double the damage (6d6)... but that could just be me.

Starbuck_II
2008-10-19, 12:19 PM
I suppose so... which would be bad on spell slot casters considering you may not have the evocation spells left to activate the ability...

I'd come up with some sort of variant ability if your dm is willing or possibly rewrite hellfire shield a bit.

I'd actually suggest making it not use a spell slot, just the constitution point, and let it be an area effect (15' radius) for double the damage (6d6)... but that could just be me.

No what I meant was equivalent damage not using a spell slot +damage.
Similar to reserve feats.
You need to have the spell prepared, but that is only limitation for dealing the damage.

Te'Shen
2008-10-19, 12:33 PM
No what I meant was equivalent damage not using a spell slot +damage.
Similar to reserve feats.
You need to have the spell prepared, but that is only limitation for dealing the damage.Ah. I see now.

I don't really know. It would be fine if the dm allows it as similar to a reserve feat... but as far as I understand, hellfire wizard adaptation would require spell slots to function.

Hellfire Blast (Sp): Whenever you use your eldritch blast ability, you can change your eldritch blast into a hellfire blast. A hellfire blast deals your normal eldritch blast damage plus an extra 2d6 points of damage per class level. If your blast hits multiple targets (for example, the eldritch chain or eldritch cone blast shape invocations), each target takes the extra damage.
For the adaptation it becomes something like...
Hellfire Blast (Sp): Whenever you use an evocation spell that deals damage, you can change your evocation spell into a hellfire blast. A hellfire blast deals your normal eldritch blast damage plus an extra 2d6 points of damage per class level...

Since hellfire blast and hellfire shield are both powered by the eldritch blast of the warlock, I assume that it's powered of spell slots for arcane casters.

If you want to make it function as a reserve feat, though, it would be a nice alteration to the prc.