PDA

View Full Version : Maxing out jump? [3.5]

AetherFox
2008-10-19, 07:18 PM
Hiya everybody!

What is the best way to maximize the jump modifier for a catfolk with a strength of 17? I'm trying to get this to be as obscene as possible in the next, say, 3 levels. At 1st level, my clatfolk has a +8 to jump. (+3 str. +4 ranks, +1 for illiterate trait.)

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-19, 07:21 PM
not completely on topic but it has some suggestions: This (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=943738) is AFAIK the record highest Jump modifier in 3.5, and it is completely ridiculous to boot.

Gorbash
If you're a barbarian, fast movement grants you an additional +4 when making running jumps. Combine that with Boots of Striding and Springing for additional +9 (+5 from item, another +4 from even greater speed).

Studoku
There was a thread a while ago where someone managed to get a ridiculous bonus by increasing their movement rate.

Ricky S
2008-10-19, 07:30 PM
Hey well you have various options to increase jump... you can increase your movement through various items or spells. boots of jumping and striding fit perfectly with this.. +5 to jump +10ft movement. Ring of jumping +5 to jump. plus expeditious retreat which increases speed by +30ft which helps as well. Also longstrider +10 feet movement. If your a monk or a barabarian you also get bonus to movement. The run feat also allows you to run at x5 instead of x4 which also gives you a +4 on jump when u run before jumping. There is an insane wealth of jumping opportunites. Hope that helps.

Chronicled
2008-10-19, 07:30 PM
There was a thread a while ago where someone managed to get a ridiculous bonus by increasing their movement rate.

Chuck E. Cheese (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=993832) would like to have a word with you. He can go faster than the speed of light.

Which makes his Jump modifier much, much higher than the Jumplomancer's.

Edit: Back on topic, for feats you can take Leap of the Heavens (PH2), Marital Stance: Leaping Dragon Stance (ToB), Skill focus: Jump, or Athletic. If you're psionic you can also take Speed of Thought for a +10 ft insight bonus to speed (and the corresponding jump bonus).

Lappy9000
2008-10-19, 07:33 PM
Hiya everybody!

What is the best way to maximize the jump modifier for a catfolk with a strength of 17? I'm trying to get this to be as obscene as possible in the next, say, 3 levels. At 1st level, my clatfolk has a +8 to jump. (+3 str. +4 ranks, +1 for illiterate trait.)

What class are you playing? That'd help a bit.

Keld Denar
2008-10-19, 07:34 PM
Hey well you have various options to increase jump... you can increase your movement through various items or spells. boots of jumping and striding fit perfectly with this.. +5 to jump +10ft movement. Ring of jumping +5 to jump. plus expeditious retreat which increases speed by +30ft which helps as well. Also longstrider +10 feet movement. If your a monk or a barabarian you also get bonus to movement. The run feat also allows you to run at x5 instead of x4 which also gives you a +4 on jump when u run before jumping. There is an insane wealth of jumping opportunites. Hope that helps.

You have to be careful with the stacking of speed increases though. MOST of them are enhancement bonuses, and enhancement bonuses to the same thing never stack. I'm like, 87.7% sure that monk's speed increase is an enhancement, but a barbarian's isn't. Haste and Expeditious Retreat are both enhancements, and I'd assume that Boots of Striding and Springing are also enhancements. Caveat Emptor, make sure you read the tag before you buy anything.

Lappy9000
2008-10-19, 07:54 PM
Don't know squat about catfolk, so let's use a Level 2 Human Barbarian. I'm assuming you have no resources more than a 3.5 Player's Handbook.

Give him strength 18 and spend your first feat on Acrobatic, and your second (for human) on Skill Focus (Jump).

Spend 5 skill points on Jump, and 5 on Tumble, granting a +2 Synergy bonus. Your Fast Movement grants you a +4 bonus. Now go into Rage; you're strength becomes 22 (+6).

Okay, so:
22 Strength (+6)
Fast Movement (+4)
Acrobatic (+2)
Skill Focus (Jump) (+3)
5 Ranks in Jump (+5)
5 Ranks in Tumble (+2)

Add it up:
6+4+2+3+5+2=22

So, you now have a 1d20+22 Jump Check at level 2.
This will work differently for Catfolk unless they get a bonus feat too.

You could also take Run (+4 Jump Checks), or throw in some magic like Jump (+10 before level 5), Bull's Strength (+4 Strength), and many more. Have fun.

Knaight
2008-10-19, 08:02 PM
Take a level in barbarian, then go monk, take skill focus jump, then go for any synergies possible. Take the run feat at some point too.

Lappy9000
2008-10-19, 08:05 PM
Take a level in barbarian, then go monk, take skill focus jump, then go for any synergies possible. Take the run feat at some point too.

With that Monk level, though, you've gotta be lawful. You keep the +10 Land Speed, but lose the additional benefit from rage. Just a minor tidbit.

Knaight
2008-10-19, 08:13 PM
Right. I keep forgetting people actually pay attention to those.

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-19, 08:21 PM
Hiya everybody!

Chuck E. Cheese (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=993832)

AetherFox
2008-10-19, 08:25 PM
Ah! Wow, I did not realise the possibilties. Anyway, I'm playing a Swordsage (With the monk unarmed varient) who mostly takes the tiger claw discipline. The whole reason behind this is, well, actually it's kind of a long story...

I bartered with my DM to allow catfolk to have no LA in exchange for lowering some of the things they get. They still have 40ft. movement (Now 50ft. because of the 'quick' trait) but no +2 bonus to cha, along with other stuff. The reason the charisma mod. matters it because I actually rolled a 3. And put it in charisma, and took the pathetic flaw (Charisma). What's one more point of penalty when you have -4? Anyway, now my character is basically a feral cat, who runs around clawing people to death. My 'master' for lack of a better term, (Another PC) is a halfling to whom I am a mount, complete with saddle and all. Our dream is to fly (not literally) around the battlefield, leaping apon our foes. The best character concept ever ceated.:smallbiggrin:

(My catfolks basic social interations are: Is it me?
then, It is my master?
then, Can I eat it?
Aaaand, that's about it.)

Ricky S
2008-10-19, 08:31 PM
Sweet... sounds like you guys are going to have a great time playing that. Your lucky as well as my DM wouldnt let me play as a catfolk cause he said it was gay... (sadface).

Chronicled
2008-10-19, 08:33 PM
The reason the charisma mod. matters it because I actually rolled a 3. And put it in charisma, and took the pathetic flaw (Charisma). What's one more point of penalty when you have -4?

The difference between being aware and being in a coma.

AetherFox
2008-10-19, 08:35 PM
Ah, but technically you're not in a coma till you hit 0.

(PleasenoegowhipPleasenoegowhipPleasenoegowhip)

Lert, A.
2008-10-19, 08:48 PM
The difference between being aware and being in a coma.

You forget that for a PC the lowest ability score you can start with is 3. Use the same skill for a dump stat, take as many traits, flaws, etc. that affect that ability. Maybe you should have a -10 modifier, but it doesn't matter, you still are left with 3

Douglas
2008-10-19, 10:11 PM
You forget that for a PC the lowest ability score you can start with is 3. Use the same skill for a dump stat, take as many traits, flaws, etc. that affect that ability. Maybe you should have a -10 modifier, but it doesn't matter, you still are left with 3
That's only for intelligence, I think.

Ninjalitude
2008-10-19, 10:26 PM
Don't know squat about catfolk, so let's use a Level 2 Human Barbarian. I'm assuming you have no resources more than a 3.5 Player's Handbook.

Give him strength 18 and spend your first feat on Acrobatic, and your second (for human) on Skill Focus (Jump).

Spend 5 skill points on Jump, and 5 on Tumble, granting a +2 Synergy bonus. Your Fast Movement grants you a +4 bonus. Now go into Rage; you're strength becomes 22 (+6).

Okay, so:
22 Strength (+6)
Fast Movement (+4)
Acrobatic (+2)
Skill Focus (Jump) (+3)
5 Ranks in Jump (+5)
5 Ranks in Tumble (+2)

Add it up:
6+4+2+3+5+2=22

So, you now have a 1d20+22 Jump Check at level 2.
This will work differently for Catfolk unless they get a bonus feat too.

You could also take Run (+4 Jump Checks), or throw in some magic like Jump (+10 before level 5), Bull's Strength (+4 Strength), and many more. Have fun.

Or you could go thri-keen racial class from the complete psionic and get +30 to jump at level 2, along with extra arms and other goodies.

this is a totally cheese-less way to max jumping potentiall

AetherFox
2008-10-19, 10:30 PM
.....Except, I'm a sword sage catfolk...

Person_Man
2008-10-19, 10:33 PM
Handy thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-443405)
Run (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Run_(Feat))
Skill Focus (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Skill_Focus)
Acrobatic (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Acrobatic)
Item Familiar (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Item_Familiars)
Speed of Thought (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Speed_of_Thought)
Improved Ring of Jumping (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Improved_Ring_of_Jumping)
Boots of Speed (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Boots_of_Speed) (or anything that gives you Haste)
Quick Trait (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Character_Traits#Quick)
Level of Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b)
Level of Exemplar

Classes that give you a bonus to movement:

Barbarian 1
Monk 3/6/9/12/15/18, +10 each
Paladin 5, class variant, Complete Champion, +10' all speeds
Ranger 6, class variant, Complete Warrior, +10'
Scout 3, 11/20, Complete Adventurer +10 (land)
Animal Lord (horselord) 3, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer, +10, +20 at level 7, see text
Bloodhound 3, 6, 9, ecl 7, Complete Adventurer, +10 each when chasing mark
Wild Plains Outrider 2, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer, +10 for mount (all modes)
Dash, feat, Complete Adventurer, +5' (does not specify land only)
Celerity, domain, Complete Diving, +10'
Wildrunner 1, ecl 6, Races of the Wild, +10'
Whisperknife 6, ecl 11, Races of the Wild
Pregrine Runner 5, ecl 12, Races of Stone
Reachrunner 1, 4/5 (+5/+10), ecl 6, Races of Eberron
Shadow Scout 2 (OA) ecl 8
Dervish 2/5/8 (+5/+10/+15)
Gnome Giant-Slayer 6, ecl 11, Complete Warrior
Atavist 5 (cautious spirit), ecl 10, Races of Eberron, +5' for all movement modes
Elemental Warrior (fire) 4, ecl 11, Planar Handbook
Cloud Anchorite 4, 8/10, ecl 10, Frostburn, +10' each
Primeval 8, ecl 16, Frostburn, +10'
Cheetah's Speed, wild feat, Complete Divine - speed becomes 50' for 1 hour, once per hour can move at 10X speed
Geomancer 3 (stage 2 drift), ecl 9, Complete Divine, +5'
Geomancer 9 (stage 5 drift), ecl 15, Complete Divine, once per hour move at 10X speed
Shifter w/Longstride trait, Eberron Campaign Setting, +10', while shifting
Longstride Elite, feat, Eberron Campaign Setting, +10', while shifting
Nentyar Hunter 2, ecl 7, FR: Unapproachable East, +10'
Improved Speed, feat, Draconomicon - fly speed improves by 20', all others improve by 10'
Speed of Thought, feat, XPH - +10' insight bonus
Divine Vigor, divine feat, Complete Divine - temporary +10'
Barbarian 3 (Fangshield substitution level), Champions of Valor - +10' while charging
Marshall 2, Miniatures Handbook - +5' per aura bonus
Incarnate 3 (chaotic), Magic of Incarnum - +10' +10'every five levels, share with allies at 7th level
Totemist 8 (halfling substitution level), Magic of Incarnum - +10'
Barbarian 1 (Duskling substitution level), Magic of Incarnum, +10'/essentia (enhancement)
Dread Carapace, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +60' +10'/essentia (enhancement) once per minute
Incarnate Avatar (chaos), soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +30' (enhancement)
Lamia Belt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +10' (enhancement) plus spring attack feat
Worg Pelt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +5' +5/essentia (unnamed)
Cerulean Sandals, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +5'/essentia (unnamed)
Knight of the Sacred Seal 4, ecl 9, Tome of Magic - +10' temporary
Shadow Creature, template, Lords of Madness - all speeds x1.5
Fast Leg, Fiendish Graft, Fiend Folio - +10'
Quick, character trait, Unearthed Arcana - +10'
Fleet of Foot, regional feat, Player's Guide to Faerun - +10'
Abberant Limbs (legs), unique NPC ability, DMG 2 - +20', LA+2
Nimble Bones, feat, Lords of Madness - +10', applies to undead created by someone with this feat
Vandalis Beastkeeper 10, ecl 14, Eberron: Dragonmarked - +10', does not specify land only
Divine Alacrity, divine feat, Faiths of Eberron, +30' (enhancement) for 1 round
Wild Soul 6, ecl 11, Complete Mage - +10'
Minor Shapeshift, reserve feat, Complete MAge - +5' enhancement, limited duration, see text
Swiftness of Orien, feat, Player's Guide to Eberron (p.48) - +20' to 90' enhancement to all speeds, see text
Freedom, Mantle, Complete Psionic - +10' (untyped) to all speeds

Berserk 1, ecl 6, Deities and Demigods - +10'
Extreme Leap, skill trick, ecl 2, Complete Scoundrel, +10' see text
Mark of Malbolge, feat, Fiendish Codex II, +10' for 1 round, see text
Absolute Steel, stance, Tome of Battle, +10' (enhancement) to all speeds
Bloodclaw Master 2, ecl 8, Tome of Battle, +10' while in Tiger Claw stance
Dark Creature, template, Tome of Magic, +10' to all moves of movement
Animal Devotion, feat, Complete Champion, +5-30' once per day, see text
Imbued Healing, metamagic feat, Complete Champion, +5', see text
Fist of the Forest 1, ecl 5, Complete Champion, +10' land
Forest Reeve 1, ecl 6, Complete Champion, +10' land
Holt Warden 2, ecl 7, Complete Champion, +10' land speed if already have woodland stride
Mythic Examplar 2 (Orsos), ecl 6, Complete Champaion, +20' all movement
Sanctified One (Kord) 1 or 3 or 5/5, ecl 6, Complete Champion, +10' foot speed
Jaunter 2, ecl 6, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, +10' land
Swift Tumbler, feat, Cityscape, tumble at half speed +10'
Paragnostic Apostle 1, ecl 6?, Complete Champion, +10' from any spell that grants speed or increase, not just land

SilentNight
2008-10-19, 10:52 PM
Sweet... sounds like you guys are going to have a great time playing that. Your lucky as well as my DM wouldnt let me play as a catfolk cause he said it was gay... (sadface).

so sad the world we live in. :smallfrown:

monty
2008-10-19, 11:32 PM
Use Tauric cheese to get a ridiculous strength bonus. Add garnish to taste.

Cuddly
2008-10-20, 03:33 AM
Chuck E. Cheese (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=993832) would like to have a word with you. He can go faster than the speed of light.

By using a custom at-will staff of greater celerity.

SoD
2008-10-20, 05:28 AM
If you weren't specifying Catfolk, I'd recomend Thri-keen (Monster Class from CPsi). 40 foot land speed, and at second level: leap. +30 racial bonus to jump checks.

Jalor
2008-10-20, 07:01 AM
Or you could go thri-keen racial class from the complete psionic and get +30 to jump at level 2, along with extra arms and other goodies.

this is a totally cheese-less way to max jumping potentiall

I concur. Just be a damn Thri-Kreen with the racial class. And ask your DM for a Ring of Jumping +20.

only1doug
2008-10-20, 07:44 AM
I concur. Just be a damn Thri-Kreen with the racial class. And ask your DM for a Ring of Jumping +20.

Except he is playing a Catfolk and Thri-Kreen won't fit his character concept at all.

But other than that, yeah, play a Thri-Kreen