PDA

View Full Version : I'm the poor sap that'll never see his friends after school.

SilverSheriff
2008-10-19, 07:36 PM
As a small few of you may know; I'm one of those teens that quit school to try and make something of himself, choosing to work lifting and unpacking boxes and working at the registers at the local 2-dollar shop. It has been good so far, fun even; the pay is just enough to get a little bit of my wants on-top of my needs and still being able to see my friends when they leave school.

But this week is different, this week I got the after-school shift, sure its only a 4-5 hour shift, but it's tearing me apart. Hell, they even gave me the Friday shift which I said I couldn't do because of previous engagements (my friend's epic D'n'D campaign which was postponed for 2 weeks because one of the guys is trying to get into University and I'm awaiting the Release of Fable 2...:redface:). I won't be able to see my friends all week.:mad: ah well, hopefully I can convince them to let me have Friday off...again...

Mauve Shirt
2008-10-19, 07:41 PM
Just for one week though, right? That's not too bad. If it's permanent, then that really sucks.

de-trick
2008-10-19, 08:44 PM
its the point of work is to make life boring, and when you do get it out of work, you want to spend your money, so you have to work some more

unending circle, But at least you got hours, i went from 32hours to 16hours this week, its worse if your in school cause you have a double shift, 7 hours of school, then you start work

Innis Cabal
2008-10-19, 08:48 PM
Welcme to the wide world of adulthood.

dish
2008-10-20, 12:17 AM
Yep, you don't work for your convenience, you work for the boss / company's convenience.

If you manage to get promoted to supervisor or manager, then work may become a bit more convenient, but this will be over-shadowed by a whole new set of problems (mainly how to manage people effectively without alienating the entire lot of them).

Lady Tialait
2008-10-20, 12:41 AM
Heh, see? DMing is a Housewives art...if you arn't able to have a spouse to earn the money for you...you ain't got the right to DM...you would never have time to do it...

But, then again, having Kids will kill your time to enjoy DnD...I mean...c'mon! Oh well, I love my little goober, and he sleeps 10 hours a day...not in a row..but that gives me enough to work on stuff....

Quincunx
2008-10-20, 03:42 AM
And herding kids around gives you transferrable skills for the gaming table!

"Stop poking the guy to your left with your pencil--I'm not warning you again. . ."

I got one week of being around my friends during the last three years of high school. No sympathy.

bosssmiley
2008-10-20, 06:54 AM
The inconvenience and use of your time is why they pay you BPG.
Look at it this way; it's only for a week or so. The game will still be there next week, and you'll have lots of delicious beer tokens ($$$) too. :smallwink:

Xallace
2008-10-20, 07:02 AM
It sucks when jobs eat your friend time. I usually don't get to see my own girlfriend more than once a week, let alone have DnD. But never fear! It sounds like a quirk in your schedule and things'll go back to normal next week.

Heh, I remember several consecutive 11-hour shifts. Now that eats your friend time. And this one time, my boss put me on a 13-hour shift, by myself, and then forgot he had done it. "So you're here until 1, right?" "...I'm here 'til 7."
It was great in retrospect.

save da chicken
2008-10-20, 12:26 PM
Hey I kinda know what you feel like , I'm home-schooled, haven't seen any of my friends in 3 years? I think......:smallfrown:

SilverSheriff
2008-10-20, 09:15 PM
Hey I kinda know what you feel like , I'm home-schooled, haven't seen any of my friends in 3 years? I think......:smallfrown:

that was me 5 years ago, I know how you feel.

Zeful
2008-10-20, 09:44 PM
As a small few of you may know; I'm one of those teens that quit school to try and make something of himself, choosing to work lifting and unpacking boxes and working at the registers at the local 2-dollar shop. It has been good so far, fun even; the pay is just enough to get a little bit of my wants on-top of my needs and still being able to see my friends when they leave school.

But this week is different, this week I got the after-school shift, sure its only a 4-5 hour shift, but it's tearing me apart. Hell, they even gave me the Friday shift which I said I couldn't do because of previous engagements (my friend's epic D'n'D campaign which was postponed for 2 weeks because one of the guys is trying to get into University and I'm awaiting the Release of Fable 2...:redface:). I won't be able to see my friends all week.:mad: ah well, hopefully I can convince them to let me have Friday off...again...

I really hate to sound like a jelious ass, but at least you have friends. I haven't had regular social compainion ship for roughly 12 years (I'm 19 just so you know).

RandomNPC
2008-10-22, 10:20 PM
well my longest friendship is from sixth grade, i graduated in '03. i know someone who my parent's used to have to tell i was to little to come out and play, because i was still a baby, but he's pretty much cut me outa the loop. that kinda hurt, ya know?

I game every other week and one of my gamers told his boss and the fact they openly admit to playing D&D scared his boss. if it's a schedual thing, find a new week, like the next one.

StitchwitchD
2008-10-22, 10:34 PM
Gee, other people have these problems too? I guess that's why there's the stereotype that gamers have no lives- it definitely would help to have the time it takes to put a game together.

I used to game. Then I had kids. Now, any character sheet is likely to disappear, and show up mysteriously a week later in the kitty litter box, covered in crayon drawings of a T-rex battling a Jedi knight and R2-D2. Not to mention having no time between kids, jobs, housework, etc, and if I did get a campaign together, everyone I know who games has the same kind of crazy schedule to deal with.

At least in a few years once the boy learns to read, I can have him put his imagination and natural geekitude to good use by teaching him how to GM. He already came up with his own comic book and he just started kindegarten.

elliott20
2008-10-23, 05:12 AM
this is really none of my business but... How did you come to the conclusion that dropping out of school is the best option? or is it more like one of those "I want some life experience before I go to college" things?

I mean, I can understand some people who already have very strong career aspects even before they finish school but those are highly unorthodox cases.

oh yeah, and my oldest friend that I'm still in contact with? college. that's 6 years ago.

I did have someone who was really close but he hated my wife and after I got married, we no longer speak to each other. Nice to know that 15 years of friendship can be tossed aside just like that.